PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried this pre-cooked microwaveable bacon?

nieh
02-28-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm very lazy, so I bought it hoping it would be a nice way to circumvent that problem and still manage to get the wonderful taste and health benefits of bacon. I made some earlier tonight and it sucks. Horribly. I made 3 strips and ate about half of one before I gave up on them. My cats smelled it and wanted to eat them, so I gave them each a little piece. They licked it once or twice, cringed and walked away. How do things like these get put on the market? I mean, I expected it to not be as good as regular bacon, but I didn't expect it to be inedible. The taste totally counters the convenience of it, so I don't see why anyone would ever buy it more than once.

Endymion
02-28-2005, 09:15 PM
i dunno, the but very thought of eating macrowaved food makes me ill now. i mean, for the past six months or so... living off microwaved shit for so long makes you build up a hate stronger than that of the cardassians for the federation.

nieh
02-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't live off microwaved food. I tend to live off spaghetti, grilled cheese, cereal bars and junk food. But I can't stand most microwaved foods, so I shouldn't have expected this to be any different.

Endymion
02-28-2005, 09:21 PM
i eat mostly fast food nowadays. i should start making pasta more often.

HornyPope
02-28-2005, 09:40 PM
I ate it often. It's all right. Tastes sort of like uhh bologna. Dunno why.

HornyPope
02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
I barely eat at home anymore except stuff for like sandwiches, cereals, fruits and little snacks (no chips or chocolate though). I eat breakfast at noon, I go out at around 4-5 for my main meal (either chinese, thai or subway) and then I scavange soemthing off a fridge in the evening.

Linda
02-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I love it! I eat it all the time! Maybe you just didn't nuke it right?
Or long enough? Or maybe you're just too picky! :p

What brand did you buy? I get Ready Crisp.

UgLy_eLf
02-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Microwavable bacon is helluh good........... I "NUKE" it to full crispyness, MmmmMmMm.

Linda
02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Yep, I always go 40 seconds for 3 strips. Then I soak the extra grease off with a paper towel. Yummmiessssss! :D

Faded Soul
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
hmm we use this pre-cooked crap at work. it has absolutly no flavor, and if you cook it in the fryer (how we prepare ALL bacon) it tastes like fried chicken. yuck.

sKratch
02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The phrase "pre-cooked microwaveable bacon" itself is going to put me off bacon in general for a while.

Linda
03-01-2005, 07:41 AM
hmm we use this pre-cooked crap at work. it has absolutly no flavor, and if you cook it in the fryer (how we prepare ALL bacon) it tastes like fried chicken. yuck.

You're not supposed to fry it in a skillet, dinghy!
You guys just don't know how to make it.
There are instructions on the box, you know! :rolleyes:

JoY
03-01-2005, 08:02 AM
never in my life tried it.
sounds creepy.

Evilbaboon
03-01-2005, 08:33 AM
yea i tried it it aint to bad.
ever had vegi protien bacon substitue?

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I want some bacon now. Right now....

HMSPresident
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I've had "vegetarian" microwaveable bacon before...

I think it was made from beans or whatever, but they even dyed it to make it look like it has streaks of fat in it...

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I smell bacon, do you smell bacon? No!

Linda
03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I do! Just had some in my sandwich!
YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 01:10 PM
mmmmmmm bacon

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Me so hungry!

Linda
03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Wellll.....GO EAT!!!!!!!!!! :p

Trip Boy
Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
I tend to live off spaghetti, grilled cheese, cereal bars and junk food.

Amen to that.

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 01:13 PM
go eat
10 characters

MindlessSelfIndulgent
03-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Or space-space-space-space-space-space-dot

I feel so smart.

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Do they have reserved parking for non-handicapped people at the Special Olympics?

MindlessSelfIndulgent
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
What, you actually know people who are not handicapped?

nieh
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM

are you trying to imply that I can't read or that I don't know how to use a microwave? Because you're right on both accounts...*cry*

Anyway, I followed the directions exactly and it just tastes horrible. I got the Jimmy Dean kind...apparently it was voted the best tasting...?

Offspring Pyro
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
if you want something fast in the morning its good. But if your going for taste you need to cook the other kind of bacon.

Betty
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I've never had it but I was always under the impression that it wasn't THAT bad. I've personally avoided buying it cause it's still really expensive, so I had might as well buy the good stuff. I usually prepare most of my food anyway.

But yeah, maybe it's the brand? Something gross and American?

Linda
03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
are you trying to imply that I can't read or that I don't know how to use a microwave? Because you're right on both accounts...*cry*

Anyway, I followed the directions exactly and it just tastes horrible. I got the Jimmy Dean kind...apparently it was voted the best tasting...?

Awwwww, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry!

Try the Ready Crisp brand. Put 3 strips on a paper towel, nuke them for 40 seconds if you like it crispy, 30 seconds if you don't like it too crispy. I always dab the excess grease off with a paper towel. Then tell me if you like it. Jimmy Dean products suck, in my opinion! :)

nieh
03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Awwwww, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry!

Try the Ready Crisp brand. Put 3 strips on a paper towel, nuke them for 40 seconds if you like it crispy, 30 seconds if you don't like it too crispy. I always dab the excess grease off with a paper towel. Then tell me if you like it. Jimmy Dean products suck, in my opinion! :)

I'm not willing to spend more money on something that I doubt I'll like. If I ever see it on sale then I'll give it a shot, but this is probably the last time I'll ever taste the stuff.

I've never had it but I was always under the impression that it wasn't THAT bad. I've personally avoided buying it cause it's still really expensive, so I had might as well buy the good stuff. I usually prepare most of my food anyway.

But yeah, maybe it's the brand? Something gross and American?

gross and American? Are you trying to say that we have below average pork products?

Faded Soul
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
hey, it's quick n easy! no dirtying up pans! :p Regular bacon tastes fine out of the fryer, just not that pre-cooked crap! and if we microwave it, it tastes like nothing at all!

Betty
03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
gross and American? Are you trying to say that we have below average pork products?

Not sure... there is the saying "Canadian bacon" though... but I have no idea what brands you have or which ones are good. Schneider's? I think that would be the good brand here...

nieh
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Not sure... there is the saying "Canadian bacon" though... but I have no idea what brands you have or which ones are good. Schneider's? I think that would be the good brand here...

Canadian Bacon is basically ham...isn't it? I've never understood where it got it's name from.
I've never really paid any attention to bacon brand before because I've never been the one to buy it up until now, so I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Linda
03-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Canadian Bacon is basically ham...isn't it? I've never understood where it got it's name from.
I've never really paid any attention to bacon brand before because I've never been the one to buy it up until now, so I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Bacon and ham come from pigs. Maybe Canadian bacon got it's name because it comes from Canadian pigs?! haha :D

nieh
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Bacon and ham come from pigs. Maybe Canadian bacon got it's name because it comes from Canadian pigs?! haha :D

but then wouldn't it be Canadian Ham instead? Whether or not it comes from Canada is one thing, but whatever the case may be, it's not bacon, it's ham.

Linda
03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
but then wouldn't it be Canadian Ham instead? Whether or not it comes from Canada is one thing, but whatever the case may be, it's not bacon, it's ham.

ba·con ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bkn)
n.
The salted and smoked meat from the back and sides of a pig.

ham ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm)
n.
The thigh of the hind leg of certain animals, especially a hog.
A cut of meat from the thigh of a hog.

Canadian bacon
n.
Cured rolled bacon from the loin of a pig.

There ya go.....there's the difference. :)

Faded Soul
03-01-2005, 10:00 PM
bacon comes from the belly of a pig. canadian bacon comes from the loins. procutto(sp?) is similar to candian bacon. :)

Linda
03-01-2005, 10:06 PM
http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Consumer/Diagrams/

Dammit, the pig will tell you!

Faded Soul
03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
right, the side is also the belly. :p

Sunny
03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
yea i tried it it aint to bad.
ever had vegi protien bacon substitue?

yes.. I tend to avoid meat.. and fake bacon is quite good. What I find absolutely AMAZING, though, is fake ham.. called Smart Deli. It rocks.. especially in ham+swiss sandwiches.

omg hungry.

Anya82
03-01-2005, 10:42 PM
I've tried that! Smart Deli
It's good indeed.

Linda
03-01-2005, 10:47 PM
right, the side is also the belly. :p

NO, the side is the side, the belly is underneath the pig. :rolleyes:

Faded Soul
03-01-2005, 11:22 PM
you're such a douche Linda... :rolleyes: :p

dirtybird
03-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Can't say that I've tried it. I use regular un pre-cooked microwavable bacon.

Noodles is gay
03-02-2005, 03:25 AM
That stuff is rank! Just get regular bacon.