PDA

View Full Version : An Adoption Conundrum

leo3375
03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Picture this:

A young woman gets pregnant and decides to give the baby up for adoption when it's born. She meets prospective parents and decides on the ones who will be the best fit for her child. She has the baby and gives it to those adoptive parents.

Fast-forward 3 years. Now the young mother decides that maybe giving her child up wasn't a good idea and she wants him back. The adoptive parents refuse on the grounds that she was the one who gave him up, and they're the only parents he has ever known.

Now let's have the adoptive family be Caucasian (white), while the child and his biological mother are non-white "minorities." This could help the biological mother's case.

The question is this: Should the biological mother be able to take back her child? Should the adoptive parents be allowed to keep the child? If you think the mother should be able to take back the child, should there be a time limit after the child is born in which she can change her mond on the adoption?

Betty
03-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't think you should be able to ever take back a kid once it has been decided and given up.

Are people actually allowed to do that? That would be terrible.

They made a decision. The adoptive parents may have had to wait years to get a kid. They had invested years of their life raising it.

The only reason I could see is if the baby were being abused or mistreated or something, then the biological mother would be a perfect alternative... but I can't imagine that happening very often.

HornyPope
03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Cut the baby in half.

Iddy
03-03-2005, 08:27 AM
At three years old, the child will have become attached to their adoptive parents... taking them away would be traumatic for the kid, and will probaely permently affect the relationship between biological mother and child.

If this sort of thing is allowed to happen it should be restricted to a couple of months... that way no relationship is permently severed.

Anyway, that kind of indescisiveness cannot be good for parenting.. what if in another three years the mother decides 'wait, i don't really want this'...

Little_Miss_1565
03-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I think it's incredibly selfish to give up a kid and then try to force your way back into his/her life just a few years later. I think that a birth mother shouldn't try to contact the kid they gave up until at least their 18th birthday, then the kid can choose what they want to do with the rest of their life.

SicN Twisted
03-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Three years? I think the kid would be old enough to decide who he or she lives with, not the parents or some judge.