PDA

View Full Version : Best genre

Faust
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
and a few best bands in every genre listed above..

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
am i allowed to mention more than 1 genres? :rolleyes:

Faust
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
am i allowed to mention more than 1 genres? :rolleyes:
haha, yes you are )

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Punkrock:
The Offspring
Social Distortion
Operation Ivy
The Vandals
Dead Kennendys
The Dwarves

Reggae/Ska:
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Burning Spear
The Specials
Madness
Israel Vibration

House (Hardcore,D&B,Tekno):
Andy C
Thunderdome
SOS
Rinze
Underworld

Non punkrock Rock:
REM
Face Tomorrow
Rammstein
Eels
Queens Of The Stone Age/Kyuss

Faust
03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
umm.. and the bands..
let`s see..
punk/punk rock : nufan, gob, offspring, green day, social distortion ...

rock/hard rock : sevendust, adema(not sure which genre), papa roach, the used(might be nu-metal though), therapy, blindside, lost prophets, staind .....

dance/trance : darude, robert miles

pop : (this is hard... ) umm.. no, can`t come up with any

others : children of bodom, apocalyptica, stratovarius, etc.

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Punkrock:

The Dwarves

Reggae/Ska:
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Burning Spear
The Specials
Madness
Israel Vibration

Andy C
Thunderdome
SOS
Rinze
Underworld

Non punkrock Rock:

Eels

I`m amazed 8- there are at least 10 bands I`ve never heard of.. (those above)
the "house" and reggae/ska genres are something I haven`t discovered..yet.
maybe I should try them.

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Punkrock:

The Dwarves (dexter's on their latest album)

Reggae/Ska: (what can i say about reggae bands :rolleyes: )
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Burning Spear
The Specials
Madness
Israel Vibration

Andy C (drum & bass)
Thunderdome (hardcore house)
SOS (tekno, NOT Techno)
Rinze (tekno)
Underworld (house)

Non punkrock Rock:
Eels (sounds a bit like Lou Reed)

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Punkrock:

The Dwarves (dexter's on their latest album)

Reggae/Ska: (what can i say about reggae bands :rolleyes: )

Madness
Andy C (drum & bass)
Thunderdome (hardcore house)
SOS (tekno, NOT Techno)
Rinze (tekno)
Underworld (house)

Non punkrock Rock:
Eels (sounds a bit like Lou Reed)

just because I`m so curious, I`ll download some of their songs )
I think tekno is good especially when you`re drunk.
actually all music sounds better when you`re drunk, in my opinion..
I might just be a weird person though.

Anya82
03-03-2005, 01:17 PM

absolutely agree!!!!!!!

My fave music genre are punk rock and trance
that's why i can't vote

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:18 PM
i guess it will be easier to download hardcore house. it's almost the same but Tekno is still real underground. It happened to be a couple of friends of mine are really into it. But it will be hard to find good Tekno on the internet. If i were you is would look for the Thunderdome cd's.

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:21 PM
i guess it will be easier to download hardcore house. it's almost the same but Tekno is still real underground. It happened to be a couple of friends of mine are really into it. But it will be hard to find good Tekno on the internet. If i were you is would look for the Thunderdome cd's.
ok..too bad..
I`ll try downloading via warez. hope it`ll give some results..

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
good luck..

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
absolutely agree!!!!!!!

My fave music genre are punk rock and trance
that's why i can't vote
I should have done multiple choice option..
but then again.. there are so many genres people like that it might have become a mess..

Toxic Speed Bump
03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Punk/punk rock:

Ramones
Green Day
Generation X
Clash
The Offspring
Vandals
NOFX
Less than Jake (ska/punk)
Bad Religion
Sex Pistols

Indie:
Killers
Oasis
Travis

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:39 PM
good luck..
thanks, you`re not gonna believe it but those bands are actually very well available... they`re rather popular, loads of people share and dowload them all the time..
these are the songs I`m about to get:

-thunderdome : overdoze, cocaina, speakerblaster, hard core rules the world, pulp fiction rotterdam mix

-madness : our house, one step beyond, baggy trousers, wings of a dove(10 things I hate about you soundtrack)

-shimon and andy c : skirmish

-underworld : born slippy, cow girl

-eels : mr. E`s beautiful blues, saturday morning, I need some sleep, eyes down

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:41 PM
thanks, you`re not gonna believe it but those bands are actually very well available... they`re rather popular, loads of people share and dowload them all the time..

I was only talking about Tekno (wich still is an underground housescene). The others are welknown indeed. Do you like em?

Obie2trice
03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
only those options?

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
only those options?

you could vote for the "some other" option and write one down wich wasn't mentioned in the poll.

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I like thunderdome, house and underworld.. )

I don`t like madness..

...eels hasn`t began dowloading yet.

Faust
03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
only those options?
yea.. I forgot rap, it should have been on the list.

Noodles is gay
03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
indie.

or 90's Britpop! :p

BuddyHolly
03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I don`t like madness..

wtf? one step beyond and baggy trousers are great songs! but i guess you've got a different taste, wich is great cause this world would be boring when everybody would like te same music.

Unnatural Disaster
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
My favorite genre is Alternative, but it's not on the poll :confused:

Faust
03-03-2005, 02:04 PM
wtf? one step beyond and baggy trousers are great songs! but i guess you've got a different taste, wich is great cause this world would be boring when everybody would like te same music.
haha, that`s right...
many songs demand good speakers and reciever to sound good... especially tekno and music that has lots of low and/or high frequences..now I`m listening through these computer speakers.. ) so poor sound even when listening to good music. the best thing this board has offered to me is that I`ve discovered dozens of awesome bands that I`ve never known about.

off the subject:
I just heard my first songs from our lady peace and it sounds good..

nieh
03-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Every genre of music is complete and total shit because they're just relying on a pre-determined set of rules instead of making their own. There can be an individual band in a genre that is completely awesome and brings a lot of brand new ideas to the table or brings elements of other genres into their stuff, but anyone that writes straight punk or anyone that writes straight death metal or anyone that writes straight pop probably sucks and does nothing that hasn't been done before. If I had to pick one, I'd say indie rock, because it has probably the widest range of sounds out of any other genre.

Betty
03-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't think that uncreativity in music necessarily makes it bad music. Like, you could have a totally new and creative and super band. And then have a second band that plays very very similar music. But if you had never heard the first band, you would still think the second band was good. Even if you had heard the first band, you could still think they were good, just uncreative. The problem is when stuff is really overdone it becomes boring. And some of it loses the passion, etc, and hence doesn't have that "touch" to it to make it great. But this is not a necessary thing.

But I'm of the mind that if a song is melodic and catchy I will like it. Will I love it? Not necessarily, but maybe.

I don't know if I'd agree with you about indie rock. I agree it is probably more varied, but what about bands that would be labelled what... "progressive" or "alternative" or "new age" (I'm not a good music labeller)... could those not encompass more sounds and wackiness?

Anyway, my choice would involve a combination of rock and pop and that punk touch to make it a bit more fun.

Jebus
03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
progressive metal is where it's at

KappaWing
03-03-2005, 06:14 PM
I'd perfer the speed/power brand of metal myself.

Master Of Puppets comes to mind.

dirtybird
03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
umm.. and the bands..
let`s see..
punk/punk rock : nufan, gob, offspring, green day, social distortion ...

rock/hard rock : sevendust, adema(not sure which genre), papa roach, the used(might be nu-metal though), therapy, blindside, lost prophets, staind .....

pop : (this is hard... ) umm.. no, can`t come up with any

others : children of bodom, apocalyptica, stratovarius, etc.

Gob is alternative rock.

Hard rock : Adema (some), Killswitch Engage (borderline metal), Avenged Sevenfold (borderline metal).

Punk rock : Offspring, Greenday, Ramones, The Clash, Sum 41 (?)

Other rock (I'm including everything else here) : REM, gob, Startingline, Nirvana, Garbage, Yellowcard, KoRn, Jimmy Eat World (only because of "Pain"), Linkin Park, Jet, Lucky Boys Confusion, Eve 6, SR-71, Alkaline Trio, Lit, Metallica.

Metal : Dimmu Borgir, Slayer, Amon Amarth, Fuck I'm Dead, Hypocrisy, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, Black Dahlia Murder, Slipknot.

Faust
03-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Gob is alternative rock.

Hard rock : Adema (some), Killswitch Engage (borderline metal), Avenged Sevenfold (borderline metal).

Punk rock : Offspring, Greenday, Ramones, The Clash, Sum 41 (?)

Other rock (I'm including everything else here) : REM, gob, Startingline, Nirvana, Garbage, Yellowcard, KoRn, Jimmy Eat World (only because of "Pain"), Linkin Park, Jet, Lucky Boys Confusion, Eve 6, SR-71, Alkaline Trio, Lit, Metallica.

Metal : Dimmu Borgir, Slayer, Amon Amarth, Fuck I'm Dead, Hypocrisy, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, Black Dahlia Murder, Slipknot.

our tastes of music are very much alike.(I just don`t like dimmu borgir,slipknot`s ok, I think someone would put them in some other genre instead of metal)
you`re right, gob is alt rock.
though I personally like thinking there`s a bit of punk in it.. but you know, we see the things the way we wanna see them..
though it`s possible that many bands change their genre during their career, so that they won`t stick in any rules of a certain genre.
and the definitions of different genres vary a lot, too..
some say that pop means popular music and everything that is popular is pop, even if it`s dimmu borgir, that sounds kind of ridiculous to me.