PDA

View Full Version : America The Book.

Vera
03-04-2005, 05:22 AM
If possible, I'd air mail Jon Stewart my virginity.

As it isn't possible, though, I bought his book on Amazon. I actually have the audiobook on my computer and it is excellent, but hey, oughta loved printed products.

Okay, I only bought it for the cover image. Eagles are sex.

I actually bought it for a friend. I'm using my Visa and he's transporting money onto my account once the book arrives.

But all this is completely beside the point. Only very recently have I been introduced to the Daily Show type of political/current news humour, but boy, do I love it. America The Book is fantastic, even if the humor is "not-so-intellectual" in the sense that it can be crude and offensive and not too subtle, but it just works so well. Also, as a person who knows fuck all about American history apart from basic shit like "Europeans came to America, slayed loads of natives, fought each other, fought each other some more, became a country, gained 1,000,000,000lbs and world domination, the end", it's been somewhat educative. You just need to distinguish the line between fact and "this was just put here because it's funny".

This became a very unpolitical post, I'm afraid. But yes, great audiobook. I haven't listened pass chapter 3 which talks about the president's position and power.

And now a quote from the section that described democracy's history, because I can:

In the Middle Ages, there were three kinds of oppression known: ethnic, racial and for shits and giggles.

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-04-2005, 06:34 AM
i love that book! i got it for christmas, and ive read a couple times over since then. still damn funny every time.

Little_Miss_1565
03-04-2005, 08:38 AM
It's the only textbook I've ever read cover to cover. It makes me want to become a Civics teacher, so I can use it as my class textbook.

The audiobook should have won that Grammy it was nominated for!

Vera
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Hahahaha, I just went to a bookstore today and saw the book there, like 6 euros cheaper than the final price of buying it from Amazon plus shipping plus VAT. Whoops. Oh well, it's my friend's money, anyway. I flipped through and was all "OMG pictures and diagrams and whoo!". Some excellent guest voices in the audio book, but the pictures are very educative, as well. ;D

Mota Boy
03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
My brother gave me that book for Christmas. John Stewart & co. rock the casbah.

Vera
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm still waiting for a person who has watched the Daily Show and hasn't liked it/worshipped the ground Jon Stewart & co walk on.

SicN Twisted
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
You absolutely must see John Stewart on crossfire. He goes on the corperate media and defies his script and accuses them of being bullshit. It's amazing, you can find it on google.

Vera
03-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Still no differing opinion? XD

But yes, I'll try to get my hands on that. My friend told me he was all "Do you realize what you're doing? Stop, you're hurting us. You're hurting America..."

wheelchairman
03-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Oh yeah I saw that. That was really good. That is something I highly recommend watching. God I love Jon Stewart. If you want a differing opinion, I think Moose will probably enter and say something ignorant soon.

Panzerfaust92
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
America is a terrific book

Vera
03-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah I saw that. That was really good. That is something I highly recommend watching. God I love Jon Stewart. If you want a differing opinion, I think Moose will probably enter and say something ignorant soon.
I was interested to see if I'd get a differing opinion from someone I consider mildly intellectual (intellectual on this board's standards, that is).

And I just saw it. Excellent stuff, though I don't know too much about Crossfire, just the basic gist and why Stewart called them "theater".

SicN Twisted
03-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Nobody can have a differing opinion but Jon is not politically opinionated, he attacks mainstream politics for being dishonest but not anyone in particular.

Crossfire is a really popular "debate show" on CNN in which political figures stage a scripted debate written by CNN. They're complete bullshit - that's why I loved that specific episode, but Jon publicly accused them of what everyone knows but is afraid to say.

Oh yeah, he was a soccer star in college.

dirtybird
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I want that book sooo bad! The Daily Show is my favorite show. It owns.

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-08-2005, 10:18 PM
man, if they could come up with a logical way to put it on DVD, id be sooo there.