PDA

View Full Version : Justified Arrogance

the_GoDdEsS
03-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Do you ever look down on people or catch yourself doing so because you think highly of yourself and know you actually can?

Or are you haunted by insecurities or teenage angst and you're convinced you suck?

I don't like arrogance. Justified arrogance, however is brilliant.

Aimeht
03-05-2005, 02:07 AM
No, I try to never look down on people. Even thought it's hard sometimes not doing it. I mean - I'm not unprejudiced.

original_psycho
03-05-2005, 03:05 AM
I used to be haunted by insecurities or teenage angst and was convinced that I sucked. Now, I just don't care about other opinions except mine.
And I hate arrogance. Especially those little arrogant bitches in my class that think that they're better than me just because they have cool clothes (erm... somebody should tell them the truth...) lots of boyfriends (really cool... riiight...) and that they smoke and drink and skip classes. From that point of view I should consider myself better, but I won't. I actually don't care about what others think of me, but if someone tells me again that I suck, I'ma kick his/her ass.

Inshane
03-05-2005, 03:15 AM
When I have a strong opinion about something, and I have a discussion with someone that is just against the subject because his/her, father/mother said so (no own opinion). I can get really pissed off, just because they don't think for themselves. And I seriously hate that. is saying their stupid at that point, being arrogant in a way?

SicN Twisted
03-05-2005, 03:23 AM
I hate to join the "worshipping Sim's avatar" bandwaggen, but if I looked like you did, that would justify ALL my arrogance.

When dealing with people who's IQs don't surpass their ages, justified arrogance is beautiful. As long as you don't like think you're superior because you're MORALLY better then someone, it's okay to think you're much smarter and cooler then them.

Faust
03-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Do you ever look down on people or catch yourself doing so because you think highly of yourself and know you actually can?

Or are you haunted by insecurities or teenage angst and you're convinced you suck?

I sometimes feel "justified arrogance", but as soon as I notice feeling so, I think to myself, this is not right.. I kill that justified arrogance because it`s not the way I want to be, one of my life values is respect and I think the respect towards other people is sincere when you don`t find yourself superior as a human being even if you would have some things better off.
so it`s not denying own betterness in something, but it`s not taking it for granted. this is very difficult to explain, do you feel me?

the_GoDdEsS
03-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks, Sic. It's not just the looks, it's more like who you are. And definitely not morally. I sometimes get ego trips from people hating me because I'm better. It's nice being respected for what you do and sometimes all the hate and envy adds up to it.

On the downside, I understand what you're trying to say, Faust. I used to think it was not right. But as long as it's not a completely negative feeling, I accept it.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I hate to join the "worshipping Sim's avatar" bandwaggen, but if I looked like you did, that would justify ALL my arrogance.
This is true.

I haven't had much experience in this department, but I usually AM surrounded my people who, if I were arrogant around, it would be totally justified. I just don't have it in me, I guess. At least not yet.I've had horrible self esteem/insecurity issues most of my life, and I'm just now growing out of that phase. I'm trying to be confident right now, so arrogance hasn't even come up yet.

Izie
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I was raised to be an intellectual snob, not much I can do about it.

Nah, seriously? Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves as an idiot. Everyone has my respect when we first meet, the question is whether they'll be able to keep it. And if they're not able to keep it... Well, that's not my bloody fault, is it?

I do tend to stay out of situations where I'd have (I know I don't have to, but someone trying to act all smart when he's an utter idiot gives me the urge to smash him into the ground, verbally, of course) to be an arrogant bitch, as I find them pointless/slightly annoying, but if you really push my buttons... I'm really, really bad.

Nina
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
the only times i act arrogant is when people ACT stupid.
because acting like an idiot is not the same as having a
low IQ; the one you have a high influence on, the other
is something you cannot do anything about.
so basically i only think "better" of myself when a person
who i know is not dumb acts like a complete dumbfuck.
other than that, no. i dont think i have a reason to be
arrogant, and most of the time i dont think too highly of
people who are very arrogant, either. just not my thing,
i cant deal with them.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
03-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I catch myself looking down on people all the time, for their hairstyles or the way they dress. Its funny, cause im not the person to do that. Im the one with the ugly hair and ugly way of dressing. So its really not that smart.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Everyone has my respect when we first meet, the question is whether they'll be able to keep it. And if they're not able to keep it... Well, that's not my bloody fault, is it?
It's only your fault if you're one of those people who judge on first impressions. First impressions are the most inaccurate sign of someone's personality, and that cliche that implies otherwise just isn't true. Some people are just uncomfortable around new people, but are awesome once they loosen up.

Izie
03-05-2005, 11:53 AM
It's only your fault if you're one of those people who judge on first impressions. First impressions are the most inaccurate sign of someone's personality, and that cliche that implies otherwise just isn't true. Some people are just uncomfortable around new people, but are awesome once they loosen up.

If everyone has my respect when we first meet, that can hardly be the case. Everyone can do something stupid, it's just if they're constantly doing such things that I find them stupid.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2005, 11:55 AM
^True indeed, true indeed.

arak0r
03-05-2005, 12:22 PM
I definately have a slight bit of arrogance :) Generally I refuse to show it tho, because

a) i dislike cocky, or arrogant people. overconfidence is disgusting >:\
b) i am generally (irl) not an ass, and behaving like king of the world would justify someone thinking im an ass.
c) im too good to be bothered with thinking im better than anyone ;)

(that last bit WAS a joke)

I'll admit that when I think of doing pretty much anything, I HATE to admit that anyone else could do it better. I'd like to just be absolutely perfect and the best at everything, even though I know, I can't. For example, I'd love to be the best autoCAD genius evar! But.. uhh that isnt happening any time soon ;)

Endymion
03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
i'm the mack daddy of the physics department and eeeeeeeeveryone knows it

Linda
03-05-2005, 01:21 PM

I have to disagree with that, in my case anyway. I've found throughout my life, that my first impressions of people are 99% right. I have ignored my first impressions several times and have regretted it.

Just a Girl
03-05-2005, 01:33 PM
i don't know if i'm arrogant or not. i can be a bit "i'm clever and i know it" but only when provoked. a lot of people think i'm stupid, and so patronise me, etc. sometimes i'm just like meh, who cares, but sometimes it really gets to me so i have to show them up by proving how much cleverer than them i am, by beating them at things or something.

...guess i am arrogant then!

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Meh, i quite like arrogant people; they're usually quite intelligence (i like intelligence arrogance, not sport arrogance) and funny and interesting. I guess I can be a wee bit arrogant and pretentious sometimes, what with the classics and the elitist attitude, but I really dont care if people dont like me for that then it doesnt bother me. :cool:

Faust
03-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I have to disagree with that, in my case anyway. I've found throughout my life, that my first impressions of people are 99% right. I have ignored my first impressions several times and have regretted it.
I think Nemesis is right with this..
first impression never reveals more than a superficial side of a person,
one can`t know what are the actual reasons for the behaviour of the person.
I have many times judged people because of the first impression and later on found out that they`re actually very nice fellows. I`m trying not to stick to the first impressions nowadays.

arak0r
03-05-2005, 01:47 PM
wow linda is wrong about something.

again.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2005, 02:01 PM

I often ignore my first impressions only to find out that the person I had a bad feeling about is totally awesome. Plus, I know that I've said/done some really dumb things our of nervousness when I meet people for the first time, especially when it's an attractive lady.

I guess we've just had different experiences though!

Linda
03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
I have many times judged people because of the first impression and later on found out that they`re actually very nice fellows.

That's fine, that's YOU, but if you noticed, I said IN MY CASE. I guess I just have a way of seeing past the "act" people put on at first meetings and see the real person right away. In most cases, when I ignore my first impressions of people, I learn later on that they were the right impressions and shouldn't have been ignored. Maybe I sometimes just expect too much out of people, I dunno. I do know I had a much stricter up-bringing than most people do.
I was taught manners, most people I meet do not know any manners, or at least do not display them. Eh, why do I even bother trying to explain. It
seems no one here ever understands anyway.

_ߥ_vil_
03-05-2005, 02:08 PM
I used to be haunted by insecurities or teenage angst and was convinced that I sucked. Now, I just don't care about other opinions except mine.
And I hate arrogance. Especially those little arrogant bitches in my class that think that they're better than me just because they have cool clothes (erm... somebody should tell them the truth...) lots of boyfriends (really cool... riiight...) and that they smoke and drink and skip classes. From that point of view I should consider myself better, but I won't. I actually don't care about what others think of me, but if someone tells me again that I suck, I'ma kick his/her ass.

Thats what i was thinking....:) :D

Betty
03-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I agree with Jenny... I often like people who are arrogant. My dad can be really arrogant about sports, but in a good way. It's hard to explain, but it's in a fun arrogant way (e.g. shooting for double bullseye in darts when he only needs a double - but he will ALWAYS get it - and then you want to smack him).

But generally I like people are arrogant because of their intelligence.

And not because of "moral" superiority, or looks. That's dumb.

But intelligence, for sure. I am probably smarter than at least 95% of people I meet, so sometimes it can be hard to not feel superior. I don't really like feeling superior though, but I just can't really help it at times. I feel better about it though when the other person just THINKS they're smart, that's annoying, so they deserve it. But when they just act normal, I usually don't feel overly arrogant. Also, it's all just in my mind the arrogant feeling. I don't think I actually ACT that way, so that's probably a good thing too.

arak0r
03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
i get the feeling linda is quite ... arrogant :rolleyes:

HornyPope
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
My parents come from a "be happy with what you got" school of thought, so I was brought up in an atmosphere where mediocrity is acceptable. And that's fine and dandy for some some people, as it was for me--until about a year ago. I've changed a lot since. Not due any one particular event, but rather through realization that I can--and should--aim much higher.

I'll openly admit that i'm arrogant, but my words and actions back up my attitude. I'm convinced i'm good at what I do and I welcome anyone to prove me otherwise.

UgLy_eLf
03-05-2005, 10:23 PM

Eh I'd reconsider that. Take me for instance, when I am first introduced to a new group of people, or even one new person I am very shy and reserved, I'm simply at a loss for words around new people. When I come around, and finally get comfortable around people I'm quite the opposite of quiet, YOU know what I mean Linda :p

dirtybird
03-05-2005, 10:25 PM

I only look down on Wisconsinhomer and people who are stupid.. not ignorant, stupid (There IS a difference.. a BIG one, too).

UgLy_eLf
As for arrogance, even if it is justified it still makes you an ass. I think people should spend more time helping others and informing them; educate the goddamn retards.... instead of putting them down for their so called "lower IQ's."

dirtybird
Otherwise I'm convinced I suck.

Linda
03-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Eh I'd reconsider that. Take me for instance, when I am first introduced to a new group of people, or even one new person I am very shy and reserved, I'm simply at a loss for words around new people. When I come around, and finally get comfortable around people I'm quite the opposite of quiet, YOU know what I mean Linda :p

I know what you mean, but that's not so for me. How's things going for you anyway?

arak0r
03-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I only look down on Wisconsinhomer and people who are stupid.. not ignorant, stupid (There IS a difference.. a BIG one, too).
stupid is where people cant help it, wheras ignorance is just not knowing better. they COULD be better, or know better, but choose not to. how can you look down on people who cant help it, but are aok with the people who can?

SkunkIt
03-06-2005, 12:32 AM

Neither. I'm good at some things and bad at other, but I can be good or better if I try, so if someone says i'm stupid because i'm bad at math, i'd like to see them try to play the instruments I play or do some of the sports I did. I'm doing pretty good for someone with more than two concussions and a chemical imbalence.

Betty
03-06-2005, 10:07 AM
stupid is where people cant help it, wheras ignorance is just not knowing better. they COULD be better, or know better, but choose not to. how can you look down on people who cant help it, but are aok with the people who can?

Because people can't be good at everything. They have to prioritize. I don't know anything about sports stats. Could I if I tried? Yes, of course. Do I have the time/desire to do so? No. And this could very well be applied to more important things too.

Whereas people who are stupid, maybe they can't help it, but they will forever be limited by that. And so somebody who is much smarter will only have so much desire to be around them... it's like hanging out with a five year old, but not in a cute kid way. If somebody is just ignorant about your interests, they can look into them and change if they want.

nieh
03-06-2005, 11:36 AM
There's been quite a few times when I felt like I was a lot better than other people, but I tend to feel bad about it afterwards.

dirtybird
03-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Stupid is knowing just not taking into account for lack of better words. Like if you eat something in your refrigerator that's poisonous (sucky example, I know) because you're hungry but you don't know it's poisonous, that's ignorance. Stupid would be knowing it's poisonous and eating it anyways just because you're too lazy to fix something else.

arak0r
03-06-2005, 01:10 PM
see, when i think stupid. i think mentally retarded :) and thus couldnt look down upon them. i may make my various jokes at their expense, but i couldnt truly be mean to them. i feel bad enough as it is :|

dirtybird
03-06-2005, 01:23 PM
see, when i think stupid. i think mentally retarded :) and thus couldnt look down upon them. i may make my various jokes at their expense, but i couldnt truly be mean to them. i feel bad enough as it is :|

Well they're not stupid.. they're.. mentally retarded! And yeah, I couldn't be mean to them, either.

arak0r
03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
i could however, be mean to wisconsinhomer

dirtybird
03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I already have been. It never gets old.

Camilamazed
03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Guys I must confess hehe.. I always try to be as nice as possible but I do look down at people who really deserve it hehe :D

dirtybird
03-06-2005, 02:03 PM
A fine example being Wisconsinhomer.