PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy.

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Ponder this:

This question is false. True or false?

I was thinking of doing philosophy and classics at uni and found this question - tis damn cool! :p

Betty
03-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Philosophy is possibly even more useless than classics. Not that it's not interesting. Just useless.

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't particularly care if it's useless - i choose subject because i enjoy them. Anyway if i do classics i can be a classics lecturer so philosophy wouldn't be useless then!

Faust
03-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Ponder this:

I was thinking of doing philosophy and classics at uni and found this question - tis damn cool! :p
I`m sure mr. Wittgenstein could give an answer to your dillemma if he was still alive ))
I wouldn`t be surprised if he had answered to the queston when he lived..
after all, that dillemma is from the times when sokrates and platon lived.

there are more similar awesome examples, but I can`t remember them right now..philosophy is very interesting indeed.

Titus
03-05-2005, 01:04 PM

true !

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 01:06 PM
but it says it's false.

_ߥ_vil_
03-05-2005, 01:11 PM
i'm sorry i don't have a big enough brain but i'd say it was true

Because it is actually saying that its false.....now i've confused myself..... :confused:

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 01:13 PM
i'm sorry i don't have a big enough brain but i'd say it was true

Because it is actually saying that its false.....now i've confused myself..... :confused:

*points and laughs*

that's the point! Watch 'Bill and Ted' if you really wanna have your mind fucked with.

Faust
03-05-2005, 01:16 PM
it depends on how we define the word truth.
and it depends on how we define the word untrue.

and it depends on how define the connection between words and reality.
if all this is reality.. this leads us to metaphysic, Wittgenstein believed metaphysic is nonsence and therefore everything that is metaphysic is just a waste of time, because it can`t be proven without a doubt ever.

so we should assume this world and our reality is true.
we should assume that words exists only in a human mind.
we should define what is true and what is not and what kind of different truths are there.

Titus
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM

Is true thing about a false thing.
Understand me?

Mota Boy
03-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Philosophy is possibly even more useless than classics. Not that it's not interesting. Just useless.
Naw, philosophy is somewhat useful. It gives you a solid background in thinking logically and allows you to better weigh political and ethical choices in life and defend your opinions. A philosophy MAJOR is as useless as a classics one, but the study of philosophy is quite beneficial.

Faust
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
as a rationalist,

my answer would be:

the sentence isn`t true or false.
it has no such quality as truth as it is irrational and not logically connected to anything that would define it`s quality of thruth.

Betty
03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Naw, philosophy is somewhat useful. It gives you a solid background in thinking logically and allows you to better weigh political and ethical choices in life and defend your opinions. A philosophy MAJOR is as useless as a classics one, but the study of philosophy is quite beneficial.

Well, I mean to study in school I guess. I don't know, just as a science student, I think a whole lot of programs people take are useless and then secretly make fun of them. Cause part of the point of going to school is to do something that could lead to being productive and useful to society, I think. But I suppose if you can afford to go to just... what do they say... mentally masturbate... then you're a lucky one.

Also, something like English, I think people should only take it if they are really fucking good at it. Because then they can actually do something "useful" (e.g. write an interesting book, paper, etc.)

Anyway, all those kinds of subjects I think you can learn about just as well on your own time by reading books, etc, and so that's how I intend to learn things like English, philosophy, etc.

Mota Boy
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Also, something like English, I think people should only take it if they are really fucking good at it. Because then they can actually do something "useful" (e.g. write an interesting book, paper, etc.)

Anyway, all those kinds of subjects I think you can learn about just as well on your own time by reading books, etc, and so that's how I intend to learn things like English, philosophy, etc.
First of all, based on my cursory knowledge of college English programs and those that take them, I have severe doubts that the next Great American Novelist will have been an English major.

And about English and philosophy - that's mostly how I'm studying them, but I had a great English teacher in high school and a great philosophy teacher in college and I think both of them helped me better read and understand books that I would've been able to do on my own.

Betty
03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree that some teachers can help. But I guess it comes down to how much they can help and if it's worth spending $500 to go sit in a class a few hours a week to listen to them speak.

And hey, if you have the time and money, why the hell not?

I just think that unless you want to teach, it's really not useful to get a degree in philosophy. But way too many people want to be teachers and 3/4 of them will suck, so that's annoying too.

nieh
03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Ponder this:

I don't think that question quite meets the definition of philosophy...

It reminds me of that riddle (that I'm about to butcher) where there's a fork in the road, and each direction has a person standing next to it. One that always tells the truth, and one that always lies, but you don't know which is which. You're not sure which road to go down and only have time to ask one question, who and what do you ask?

You ask "If I were to ask you if this was the right direction to go in, would your answer be the same as the answer to this question?" and it works with either of them. Hooray for my horrible riddle-telling skills.

Rag Doll
03-05-2005, 03:54 PM

That's not even a question...it's a representation of a question.

Endymion
03-05-2005, 04:02 PM
way to be 2500 years late: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EubulidesParadox.html

nieh
03-05-2005, 04:02 PM
That's not even a question...it's a representation of a question.

True.

It should say "This statement is false" not "this question". Not just because it's not a question, but because questions can't really be true or false.

Noodles is gay
03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
True.

It should say "This statement is false" not "this question". Not just because it's not a question, but because questions can't really be true or false.

yeah that's ^^ right - sorry about that. :o