PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about gay marriage that came up between me and a friend tonight

nieh
03-09-2005, 09:28 PM
We all know gay marriage is not allowed here in the fine state of New Jersey. However, a friend and I got on the topic of sex changes for whatever reason tonight and we got to wondering. Can someone that was born as a male that had a sex change and is now a female marry someone that was born a male? I know it's a stupid question, but it made me curious and now I want to know.

Proph
03-09-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't live in New Jersy, but I dont think there is anything wrong with it legally.
Hopefully the guy knows what he's getting into.

Endymion
03-09-2005, 09:37 PM
dunno, are sex changed a legal thing? marriage goes by what the drivers license says.

nieh
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I dunno. I've never known anyone that's had a sex change to my knowledge, so I'm not sure exactly whether or not it legally changes your sex.

dirtybird
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmm.. I'm guessing it's still illegal since they'd technically be the other sex.. if they were smart they'd get married THEN have the sex change.

Mota Boy
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I've thought about that for a while. Or how about - what if I changed my sex to a woman, then back to a man? Then it'd be perfectly fine, right?

To the best of my knowledge, I'd say yes, but I can't be certain.

Trip Boy
03-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I've thought about that for a while. Or how about - what if I changed my sex to a woman, then back to a man? Then it'd be perfectly fine, right?

To the best of my knowledge, I'd say yes, but I can't be certain.

You can't go back to a man after becoming a women. Idiot.

Izie
03-10-2005, 01:05 PM
In Belgium it's obviously legal (since gay marriage is legal too), but I believe that I've heard somewhere that in places where gay marriage is illegal, this kind of marriage is too.

Explanation: your birth certificate says what you were born as, and I don't think that changes if you have a sex change operation, so technically it'd be a gay marriage, which then isn't allowed... But I'm really not certain about this.

Ken found an article that says that your birth certificate data can be changed simply via administration (as in, request at the council) in Belgium and Canada (it was a bill here, I'm not sure if it was passed), but that in other countries you have to do it through court, if you can do it at all... So I still don't know. Hm.

Jesus
03-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I searched some more, fun fact: people who are in the process of a sex change even get a special ID card here in Belgium. Still haven't found any information if the bill was passed though (about going from judicial to administrative... )

Just a Girl
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
for some reason when we had sex education they told us all about this. if a woman has a sex change to become a man, she can't marry another woman, because by law she is still female. but she can still marry a man.

and vice versa. at least here, anyway

Mota Boy
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
You can't go back to a man after becoming a women. Idiot.
Be sure to tell that to Sam Hashimi (http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Warning.html), and also be sure that you know what you're talking about next time.

Marion
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
We all know gay marriage is not allowed here in the fine state of New Jersey. However, a friend and I got on the topic of sex changes for whatever reason tonight and we got to wondering. Can someone that was born as a male that had a sex change and is now a female marry someone that was born a male? I know it's a stupid question, but it made me curious and now I want to know.
No they can't. You can be called by your new name and even be treated as a woman but you are still legaly a man. For example you can use the ladies or be a female stripper!! However you are still legally a man and if you commit a crime and get sent to prision you can be sent to a male one. Usualy they would send you to a womans as if you got raped or anything you could sue. Hope that helps.

Little_Miss_1565
03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
No they can't. You can be called by your new name and even be treated as a woman but you are still legaly a man. For example you can use the ladies or be a female stripper!! However you are still legally a man and if you commit a crime and get sent to prision you can be sent to a male one. Usualy they would send you to a womans as if you got raped or anything you could sue. Hope that helps.

At least in the states, only pre-op transgendered people remain legally their birth gender. After surgery, their gender is legally reassigned. If Bob became Barbara, her driver's license would change from saying M to F. Ergo, I think a post-op transgendered person could marry someone of the opposite sex.

Mota Boy
03-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Every time I think about sex change operations, I unconsciously squeeze my thighs together.

nieh
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
At least in the states, only pre-op transgendered people remain legally their birth gender. After surgery, their gender is legally reassigned. If Bob became Barbara, her driver's license would change from saying M to F. Ergo, I think a post-op transgendered person could marry someone of the opposite sex.

You're apparently absoloutely correct. I hung out with some different friends tonight and this came up again (I have no idea how...I wasn't even the one that brought it up). Apparently one of them works with someone that had a sex change to become a woman who is now married to a man. So apparently you can do it.

Trip Boy
03-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Be sure to tell that to Sam Hashimi (http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Warning.html), and also be sure that you know what you're talking about next time.

Aw, thats cute. You like she-males and all that?