PDA

View Full Version : why don't you like splinter???

blackballs
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Okay i can realize when the have songs like When Your In Prison and The Worst Hangover Ever, but I think some people are just focusing on the negatives. Besides those two songs the album is amazing, short but amazing. I think this is The Offspring's best effort yet to get back to the days of Smash even though it clearly falls a little short you should give this album a chance. I was even skeptical about it after hearing Hit That but once I actually bought it I found it to be a worthy addition to my music collection.

saska de o...
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
i like Splinter, why not... there are good songs, very good! really.. and i dont like these opinion when people say that on Splinter there isnt Offspring and they dont play californian punk.... :mad:

Ditol
03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Splinter is amazing. I like this cd more tahn CO1 and americana. I have nthing more to say.

saska de o...
03-11-2005, 11:11 AM
heh, in my own opinion Americana is better and CO1 too, Splinter is better than Smash

blackballs
03-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm so sick of hearing people on the forums putting splinter down, saying it's to mainstream and the offspring are total sellouts. I think there new cd breaks away from some of the more pop rock songs of Co1 (original prankster, want you bad) and gets back the older more "rockin" stuff of Smash and IotH. I just hope this thread gets people to realize that Splinter is a great Cd and should not be passed up by any Offspring fan.

RonWelty
03-11-2005, 12:09 PM
itīs an offspring album , i like it , i LOVE CANīt get my head around you , there are some other cool songs too ...but i think itīs over produced ..and it has some lack of Emotional feelings ...it is so damn produced that u can īt feel the TRUE MELODY , the true FEELINGS OF THE MUSIC ...like u can feel in IXNAY or SMASH or the olders ones ..maybe in AMERICANA TOO!

NIX-on-the-MAN
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Form the poll I did like 2 or 3 months ago in this same subject I found that there's accually alot of people of like it. I like the Ablum, the only people I see who don't like it is the ones who perfer the older stuff to their newer stuff. But in my opinion, it's all good.

Piedude
03-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I dont understand people slagging off CO1 as well, thats got some of my favorite songs on..

Revolver-2005?
03-11-2005, 01:52 PM
well CO1 was kinda...not so good...but I like Splinter, its a very very good album, people just like to hate it cause it got sorta mainstream

RonWelty
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
well CO1 was kinda...not so good...but I like Splinter, its a very very good album, people just like to hate it cause it got sorta mainstream
i think that co1 got more mainstream then splinter ..i think that many people even don īt know that SPLINTER EXISTS !

Aimeht
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I've never said I don't like Splinter. :cool: I love all the albums, more or less.

RonWelty
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I've never said I don't like Splinter. :cool: I love all the albums, more or less.
i think all the offspring fans loves all of their stuff ..bad or good ...:D

I don't know
03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I love splinter, I think it's a very good album

blackballs
03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I like all Offspring albums but of course there are certain songs that I don't like but one thing that really bothers me is there choice of singles. I respect the fact that their musicians and can do whatever they want but I'll give an example. When they released Co1 there first single was Original Prankster, not to put the Offspring down but that song sucked, I just don't see why they would do that when they have great songs like Come Out Swinging, Million Miles Away, Vultures, etc. Same thing happened with Hit That and Splinter. I've heard people say they were trying to create another hit like Pretty Fly but I personally would have thought they would have been better of making a video for Race Against Myself or The Noose, but hey thats just my opinion.

sphinxdaking
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Conspiracy of one was a great record, I loved it so much. But I was dissapointed with the latest record EVEN though it has a bounch of great songs like the noose, long way home, race against myself, cant get my head around you, never gonna find me, lightning rod, da hui...

But thats not enough, a great offspring has 100% good songs...I think they've achived that on almost all records... Smash, Americana, ixnay, ignition and most of co1 and s/t...

Hope this greatest hits records brings some fresh songs until the next studioalbum. Lets just hope for a pure punkrock album that remind us of the good times from 92' > 97.

And offcourse I love the offspring, and understand that its hard to write supersongs with 7 albums written. And hopefully they will choose singles thats so non-commercial so it can attract more people just because its so pure. But probably it's up to columbia, but I mean they have sold like 35 million records worldwide, they dont need to sell that many more. Go back to epitaph or even nitro if columbia is to commercial, that would get many people excited... Let's face it, offspring is or already have becomed just one of those bands...they used to be THE band. They used to be recognized with self esteem / coap / gotta get away...now its pretty fly / OP / hit that...
sad but true....

Noodles is gay
03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
why don't you like splinter???

because it sucks.

Leo_ARG
03-11-2005, 04:34 PM
It's boring...I listened to it 3 month and got tired.

The only songs I like right now are Neocon and Da Hui.

dirtybird
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I love Splinter. I just like Co1, Smash, American, and Ixnay better.

pOpe
03-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I like Splinter but..... like Ignition and Smash there is nothing :D

blackballs
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I understand the point that it's hard to make an album with all good songs but Splinter is a huge improvement of Co1 in terms of getting back to that Smash sound. I think Splinter is a good sign of things to come on the next Offspring album.

Fly White Guy
03-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I like splinter. I see a difference in the music from s/t and splinter. I like s/t very much and I also like splinter very much. It seems in splinter that the music is faster, and I like that. I even like CO1.

I think people don't like some of the albums 'cause they are the worse of some others.

Omni
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't know why people hate Original Prankster that much. I mean, sure it's kind of poppy, but I have never ever heard a song like it, and how can you listen to it and now be happy?

dexterisMYman
03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
i just dont like te sound of most of the songs on it.

RonWelty
03-12-2005, 01:42 AM
I don't know why people hate Original Prankster that much. I mean, sure it's kind of poppy, but I have never ever heard a song like it, and how can you listen to it and now be happy?
i think itīs their best pop single !

Zack
03-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Common it's The Offspring all there albums are great!

Jimbob2005
03-12-2005, 04:01 AM
personally, i actually like americana, co1 and splinter

splinter is defo not their best but i still think it's quite good
americana in my opinion is the best, and co1 came second, but ive got bored of it a bit recently

personally, original prankster is a well good song, but yea - they should have released better stuff like million miles away, vultures or co1

altho it rocks, my least fave alb is actually s/t as it took ages to grow on me and it is the alb that has the most songs i dont rate so much i.e. crossroads, demons and tehran, which i tend to skip (i only skip 1 or 2 songs on smash, but that record is wiked, period), otherwise the rest of the songs on that album ROCK ASS

still, that's an opinion, splinter is a good alb

NMHFBD
03-12-2005, 01:17 PM
what are u talkin about!? i've been listening to splinter since it came out and still didn't get tired of it.The same thing with all of the rest albums i love em all ! all albums are awesome,each in one's own way
i've been listening to all of them for years and didn't get tired i know i'll never get.All splinter songs stuck in my head from time to time and it proves me that album is awesome!

dexterisMYman
03-12-2005, 01:18 PM
i still dont like it that much. i try 2 listen 2 it but then i get tired of it fast

Venezuelan_Nightmare
03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
i like splinter, bcuz some songs have new kind of music, and offcourse energy, nice lyrics, nice drum work, everything would be nice if Atom played there or something

super nerd
03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
i think splinter is a great album becuase it has a geat variety of sound flavors... has some serioius songs, has some funny songs, has great offspring music

4eh
03-12-2005, 03:59 PM
i like, who said i don't??? it's pretty cool as all offspring's albums, it rocks

blackballs
03-12-2005, 04:25 PM
never said that you did just some people on the forum have some negative opinions towards splinter just trying to figure out why that is.

Mannen som blev en gris
03-13-2005, 05:30 AM
I guess you have to high expectations. Since they've made such great albums before, and Conspiracy of One and Splinter weren't so good as the others, you say they are bad albums. But if it was some other band that released Splinter, I think I would like it more because I didn't expect it to be that good. (I wonder if anyone understand what I mean....)

Bruninha
03-13-2005, 05:39 AM
I like Splinter...That's a great cd...The songs are amazing (except Worst Hangover Ever and Prison)

billiejoe87_greenday
03-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Does anyone else think that Offspring's splinter album just doesnt match up to Green Day's american idiot?

Inuyasha
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I think Splinter is great, the only song i don't like is The Worst Hangover Ever

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Not a ska fan?

blackballs
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Personally I'm sick of hearing about American Idiot on the forums, the only songs I like on the new album are Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Holiday, the rest is well average and its not what I'm used to from Green Day.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
03-13-2005, 06:45 PM
dude the offspring fuckin rocks no matter what. i think splinter kicks ass like all their albums and i admire them for trying new things, splinter is truelly original with songs like "the worst hangover ever" and even "when you're in prison" and hit that. in fact, me and my friend used to sing hit that and when you're in prison all the time. the offspring is so fuckin awesome no matter what :p

billiejoe87_greenday
03-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I got both splinter and american idiot and i wreckon american idiot is better, but i am interested in hearing others opinions too.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't personally like When Your In Prison but I admire The Offspring for doing something new, they've never really done a funny song like that, it was good for a laugh the first couple of times but now I just find it annoying. But The Worst Hangover Ever, I have never liked that song and I guess it's to different from what I'm used to from The Offspring, but hey it's music and they can do whatever they want with it, they're original songs I just don't like them as much as the rest of the CD.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Please, don't bring up Greenday, not now.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm getting sick of everyone talking about Green Day too, the probably the most over-rated band out there and yes I would rather listen to Splinter than American Idiot anyday.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:35 PM
But your last post was talking about them.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:38 PM
But your last post was talking about them.
No my last post was about me not liking The Worst Hangover Ever and When Your In Prison.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
My bad, I got you mixed up with the other dude.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:40 PM
it's ok it happens

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Apparently so. Congratulations on becoming a non junior member, by the wya.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
thanks it took a couple of days and a lot of getting yelled at by other people but I got there

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Took me about a week because I'm careful like that. I still got yelled at though :rolleyes:

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
yeah most people on the boards are cool but I was talking with this one guy last night and he just started talking shit because I was a junior member

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:54 PM
yeah most people on the boards are cool but I was talking with this one guy last night and he just started talking shit because I was a junior member

What was his name? And I don't know if this will help or not, but if you use proper punctuation and capitalization people seem to think you're slightly smarter.

scream
03-13-2005, 10:55 PM
i love splinter.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Tripboy I think a lot of people think he's an ass and well there right he kept telling everyone he was 21 on Friday night, so I asked him if he was 21 why was he at home on his computer talking to other people at night. I said if I was 21 I'd be out with friends getting drunk. He made up some excuse and said he just had no friends. He got pretty upset.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't think he's an ass, I just think he's very straight-forward with his opinions.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
yeah but some of the things he says are just a little wierd

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
What can I say, everybody has their kinks. I'm an asshole alot unless I make an effort to not be.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
yeah but he just jumped into one of my conversations the other day and just started saying stupid shit

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I've done that. Not be unsympathetic, but you're going to have to get used to that. When someone does that, the best thing to do is to defend yourself unless you don't see anyway you can win, which is when you aknowledge the other's opinion, but not necesarily agree to it. You'll get good recognition for that, as well.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
yeah I just left the thread I don't feel like having to defend myself on a forum

killboybowerhead
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Green Day is lame... the only good songs on the album are holiday and whatsername... Other than that the album blows... You realize how the ripped the who and even offspring off.. Americana was a theme album almost every song had to do with america. Green Day did the same thing but turned the album into a story, ripping off other more original concepts but making it easier because of having a story to fall back on... Offspring just tackled on one topic of america at a time.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:11 PM
yeah AI is extremely over-rated

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:12 PM
yeah I just left the thread I don't feel like having to defend myself on a forum

You have to sometimes to get any recognition which is almost everything on a board, my only advice is choose a topic you know alot about to start on.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
the only reason I really joined was to find out why a lot of people don't like Splinter, the people who like the older stuff just never say why don't like Splinter

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Alot of people like me like both. If you're a fan, can use decent English, and aren't a complete idiot you should stay.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I like the older stuff too but I don't see why someone would be biased towards the newer stuff if they like The Offspring, sure they got rid of the dreads from the old days but I think thats a good thing, I think a lot of people really didn't like Pretty Fly and thats where some people say they started going too mainstream.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:21 PM
I like the older stuff too but I don't see why someone would be biased towards the newer stuff if they like The Offspring, sure the got rid of the dreads from the old days but I think thats a good thing, I think a lot of people really didn't like Pretty Fly, cause it had kind of a pop twist to it.

Pretty Fly is decent.. just not.. you know. It shouldn't have been the main single either, I don't think. People aren't biased, they just don't like seeing the band they've listened to change.

heathersrus
03-13-2005, 11:23 PM
I like Splinter...why not? It has some good songs on it. In fact, it's one of my favorite albums.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:26 PM
I like Pretty Fly but I think they should have made these Kids Aren't Alright for their first video off Americana

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
I like Pretty Fly but I think they should have made these Kids Aren't Alright for their first video off Americana

Yep. Staring at the Sun the second, and either She's Got Issues or Have You Ever the third.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I would've liked to seen Have You Ever it's my second favorite off the album

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
It depends on my mood which one, but yeah it's one of mine, too. I just think Staring at the Sun would make a better video/single.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree, but on another topic I think The Offsprings next video should be Spare Me The Details and the should get the guy from Pretty Fly to be the main character, I think a lot of people would find that funny.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Nooooooo. IF they do another video from Splinter it should either be The Noose, Never Gonna Find Me (although that wouldn't make a good video I don't think), or Lightning Rod.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Ok scratch what I said I agree but it would be funny to see and for a while Spare Me The Details was going to be there third video instead of (Can't Get My) Head Around You, but I'm glad they changed there minds.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't really know, I don't think Splinter was the best album for singles.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:45 PM
no I just think the first two videos were poor choices but hey it's their music and they can do whatever they want and i thnk everyone on the forums agrees that hit that was a bad first choice for their video

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
no I just think the first two videos were poor choices but hey it's their music and they can do whatever they want and i thnk everyone on the forums agrees that hit that was a bad first choice for their video

Well they can't do everything they want since Dexter hasn't directed a video since I Choose.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
true but I'm gonna get off now it's 2a.m. on the east coast but I'll be back on tomorrow

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm in Georgia so I know. Talk to you later.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
ok talk to you tomorrow

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Maybe not tomorrow. I don't get on every day.

kate
03-14-2005, 12:58 AM
I enjoyed splinter, the only song I skip is when your in prison, but I think that s because I want to hear the first song again. :eek:

Trip Boy
03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Nope he wasn't talking about me, I never said nor had a convo like that at all.

Swill
03-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Splinter and Co1 are great albums, with great songs, perhaps, yes inconsistencies lie within them, when your in prision etc..............but who cares.I dont!!!!!I love everything the offspring have ever done from the self titled debut to splinter. Hopefully they have a few more albums in them to come!!!
________
Silver surfer vaporizer custom wand (http://vaporizers.net)

dirty pair
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
splinter in so underrated its ama amazing cd

offspringintenselyrock
03-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I like Splinter...That's a great cd...The songs are amazing (except Worst Hangover Ever and Prison)

You can't rate When You're in Prison with the other songs- it's just a jokey, bonus song on the end. It's not serious!

offspringueuse
03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
i like this album!!!! :p

offspringintenselyrock
03-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I think Splinter's great! If only it was longer...

blackballs
03-14-2005, 12:40 PM
?

I think you're confused with Trip Boy. I go out most weekends. If you mean last weekend I couldn't go out because I got water fever, but I really can't recall the time you're talking about, and can't imagine it happening.
no I got you mixed up with someone else sorry about that, next time i'll make sure to find out who it was and he had a much different avatar

blackballs
03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Now to actually get back on subject with this thread. I saw another thread with a poll about Splinter, most people voted that Splinter didn't do well because of a mixture of problems, you know poor single choices, columbia records, etc. Another problem that I wasn't really aware of was that the album was released a month before the Hit That video hit the air. Of course this was a problem, because only the hardcore Offpspring fans knew about it, I think it came in at #30 on the Billboard charts it's first week and then quickly faded away. But I think Columbia Records is also hurting them in a long term way. Sure now the have a major record company behind them but the also have to follow their rules and regulations, I think it wouldn't be smart financially but they should release there records under Dexter's and Greg's record company Nitro Records, that way they would have all the input on the record without Columbia breathing down their necks. I know it's a crazy idea but it would be cool to see. Secondly Dexter should go back to directing their videos, he hasn't done it since I Choose and that video was a thousand times better than Hit That. Last but not least The Offspring should choose better singles, I mean that only makes since, I can only imagine were Spinter would be if there first video was Race Against Myself, Lightining Rod, The Noose, or whatever. I know my ideas are out there but it would be cool to see The Offspring take me control over their next record, thats just something to think about.

Jimbob2005
03-14-2005, 01:26 PM
yea blackballs i agree with u

blackballs
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM
thanks at least someone on the forums does

billiejoe87_greenday
03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Splinter is no where near the offspring's best material, they are at a low point at the moment and hopefully in the future they'll come out again in full force.

dgnanashi
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Splinter is no where near the offspring's best material, they are at a low point at the moment and hopefully in the future they'll come out again in full force.

Indeed. (KHJGJL<HG)

blackballs
03-19-2005, 11:46 PM
It hard to think of Splinter as a low point, sure it didn't sell well but the album was great in my opinion. A low point in sales but still a great Offspring album. I think they will ever get back to the popularity of the days of Americana and even Smash. I'll give an example Green Day was losing quite a bit of popularity between their last album and American Idiot, but they had aggressive markting strategies that hyped the new album, there were a lot of commercials, t.v. specials, and etc. The main reason Splinter didn't sell well was because of horrible marketing and a poor choice of singles. I think they could be right back up there with Green Day and whoever if only they had marketed better. That is a major problem that needs to be addressed with their new album.

Homer
03-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Why does everyone diss Ignition and CO1? I liked those albums....

anyways, Splinter is a VERY good album. and The Worst Hangover Ever sort of grew on me... and like everyone said, it lacks in meaning in the songs, but it still does have meaning.

blackballs
03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I personally appreciate that The Offspring tried something new with Splinter, the heavier guitar riffs and even the vocals seemed more dark and edgy (The Noose, Race Against Myself, Etc.). It was a great attempt to re-invent themselves as artists, which is a must to be successful in the music industry today. A lot of songs though just tried too hard to be something different, like Never Gonna Find Me, yeah its cool that Dexter says fuck and goddamn it, but was it nessecary? Those lyrics seemed they were thrown in there for no reason except to be edgy. Sure I agree with Homer some songs lacked meaning but thats not the most important thing, it's a great album anyways.

Skate Rat 19
03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
After Hybrid Theory, Splinter is the bestest album the world.

Josh Freese
03-23-2005, 01:14 AM
I love Splinter! :)

nickspring-82
03-23-2005, 01:45 AM
After Hybrid Theory, Splinter is the bestest album the world.

How old are you? ....... that is a pretty funny comment, i know everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats why ill voice mine now, im pretty sick of all these new fans who are obviously just in " rebelling " phases and listening to bands like limp bizkit and linkin park coz thats " their " era and cool, and following new offspring albums coz they look up to their older brothers choice of music !! why even bother on this site unless you are a 100% fan for life, i seriously doubt half you are .......haha people on here calling americana era the height of their success? MTV isnt success retards !!! 9 million albums vs 5 mill

nickspring-82
03-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Why does everyone diss Ignition and CO1? I liked those albums....

anyways, Splinter is a VERY good album. and The Worst Hangover Ever sort of grew on me... and like everyone said, it lacks in meaning in the songs, but it still does have meaning.

who said Ignition is crap? i would be interested to hear in what whack universe that view is seen :rolleyes:

Satan's bitch
03-23-2005, 02:01 AM
why don't you like splinter???
Cause it sucks.

Jimbob2005
03-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Cause it sucks.
ignore satansbitch (which i think everyone is doing)
he is just a sad loser, and aint worth gettin worked up over

Offspringforever
03-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Well I love Splinter !!!!!!!
Especially Hit That, Can't get my head around you, never gonna find me, spare me the details and da hui...
But these are just a few of my favorits !!!
I think Ixnay On The Hombre is like the best or one of the best of their cds :D

_-'*'-_ OffspringForever _-'*'-_

Tomo
04-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Splinter is The Offspring's worst album! It's not The Offspring anymore. It's just something terrible trying to survive in the sea of shitty Hard-Rock that rules MTV these days. MAINSTREAM! MAKES ME ANGRY!!! Oh, and another thing - ONLY 10 TRACKS?!!! ("Neocon" and "When You're In Prison" doesn't count.) Sorry, that's enough. I WANT BACK THE GOOD OLD OFFSPRING! But hey, it's just my point of view. Maybe the band is only trying to find younger fans. If it's so, they're doing well (my 11 year old naphew thinks that they now sound better than ever before). But what about us, the elders, the real Offspring fans for life? Oh well... at least they're performing their old songs live (and we can still buy their older CDs).

PS: But don't make me wrong, I like Splinter anyway. It really rocks ("Never Gonna Find Me" especialy) and I'm still big Offspring fan. But like I just said, it's not what it used to be.

Poodles
04-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Splinter doesn't suck. But it doesnt feel the same without Ron Welty. I think splinter is the worst album, BUT, I would never say it sucks. :eek:

Poodles
04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I like Ron welty more than Atom

Hypodermic_89
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm so sick of hearing people on the forums putting splinter down, saying it's to mainstream and the offspring are total sellouts. I think there new cd breaks away from some of the more pop rock songs of Co1 (original prankster, want you bad) and gets back the older more "rockin" stuff of Smash and IotH. I just hope this thread gets people to realize that Splinter is a great Cd and should not be passed up by any Offspring fan.

i TOTALLY agree with you, man. Splinter is the least pop-cd since IotH, And people who call it a pop CD just because Hit that and Worst hangover ever is on that CD, well those people are just morons. alright, the CD has two pop songs, but there are EIGHT rock songs, so donīt say that the CD is POP

Jimbob2005
04-04-2005, 11:53 AM
i TOTALLY agree with you, man. Splinter is the least pop-cd since IotH, And people who call it a pop CD just because Hit that and Worst hangover ever is on that CD, well those people are just morons. alright, the CD has two pop songs, but there are EIGHT rock songs, so donīt say that the CD is POP
i totally agree

blackballs
04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't mind a little bit of pop in the CD, to be fair though I listen to the rock songs though, but occasionally I'll listen to Spare Me The Details and Hit That. It's a great CD with a good mixture of what makes the Offspring so fucking great and thats a little bit everything.

Jimbob2005
04-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Splinter is much better than CO1 or Americana, cos i hav just got bored of them especially the song Original Prankster

blackballs
04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I like Ron welty more than Atom
To be totally fair to Atom, Josh Freese handled all the druming on Splinter, they didn't pick up Atom until they finished recording Splinter. So most likely you've never heard him play with the other members. But we'll most likely hear about it when they tour this summer.

Oh and sorry for going back to an earlier subject. Just wanted to get that covered.

Jimbob2005
04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
To be totally fair to Atom, Josh Freese handled all the druming on Splinter, they didn't pick up Atom until they finished recording Splinter. So most likely you've never heard him play with the other members. But we'll most likely hear about it when they tour this summer.

Oh and sorry for going back to an earlier subject. Just wanted to get that covered.
I wondered why no drummer of any kind was mentioned in Splinter

blackballs
04-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Josh Freese was mentioned in the credits but it was in a small corner, he wasn't mentioned as a member of the band though.

grunge
04-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Splinter is better than Americana. There're two really great songs "Race against myself" and "Spare me the details" on Splinter. This album is not the best Offspring's album but I like it

Tomo
04-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Come on, It's all just a matter of mood. Sometimes I'm happy, so I listen to funny songs ("What Happened To You?", "Don't Pick It Up", "Original Prankster"). Sometimes I'm angry, so I listen to energy songs ("The Kids Aren't Alright", "The Meaning Of Life", "All I Want"). Sometimes I'm sad, so I listen to dark songs ("Gone Away", "Race Against Myself", "Gotta Get Away"). So you see, all albums are good, but you just can't listen to only one CD nonstop. You would get bored, it would make you nuts (it does me)! Just like I said on another thread: afterall, we all are fans, so we love Offspring no matter what happens with their music.

oiPunxNotDeadoi
04-05-2005, 05:38 AM
I definitly don't mind Splinter. I picked it up alittle while after it came out, and I think it's a great addition to my CD collection. It's got some really good tunes on it, like "Spare Me The Details" and "Lightning Rod."

The only other Offspring CD that I currently own is Americana, unfortunatly. I used to have all 6 Offspring CDs (before Splinter came out) but then I lost them. My favorite albums though, are without a doubt self-titled and Ixnay on the Hombre.

notoriousdoc
04-05-2005, 06:59 AM
the problem is (apart from those songs) its very commercial and sort of abandons the people who got them where they are today, those who caught up with them in the beginning and the people who prefer their older stuff (ignition,smash).and paid Ģ16 for ignition :o

blackballs
04-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I've totally got to disagree with you. I think that Splinter is an awesome effort by the Offspring to get back to their punk rock roots. Sure you have Hit That on there but a CD shouldn't be judged by a single, the other songs like Lightning Rod and Race Against Myself totally make up for Hit That.

panzor41
04-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I didnt say I didnt like Splinter...I like all the albums...not equally but i still love them all

AlphaDrake
04-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Heres how I like the albums

1.) Self Titled, Ignition, Smash, Americana, Ixnay, Co1, Splinter
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
9^9999999.) Green Day

blackballs
04-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Ok, I get your point but whats with the Green Day stuff at the end?

killboybowerhead
04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
All I can say is i love every offspring song... but the last three albums...
Put these songs in an album
The Noose
Have You Ever
Staring At The Sun
Come Out Swinging
Kids Arent Alright
Cant Get My Head Around You
Damnit I Changed Again
Race Against Myself
Million Miles Away
Americana
Lightning Rod

That is an awesome cd but you see it just doesnt exactly fit because it is missing a Hit That or whatever. That is just how cds go nowadays. If the have a more solid single like a gone away or a self esteem i think that changes the output drastically. Splinter is awesome but you see why all your favorite songs just dont fit together. Maybe you understand

blackballs
04-30-2005, 07:15 PM
The one thing that I have always admired about The Offspring is that their albums have variety, no two songs ever sound alike. Some people would rather not have songs like Spare Me The Details on there, but the mix of sounds in their songs is something that makes them great. I hope that isn't confusing.

killboybowerhead
04-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Noo thats exactly what i was trying to get across you did it way better than me. But yeah i think If the released Cant Get My head Around you as the first single the impression would have been insanely different.

blackballs
04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
I agree with CGMHAY as the first single, either that or Race Against Myself, I couldn't decide. But The Offspring always tends to lean more towards the mainstream singles (Hit That, Original Prankster) and I don't know why, when the rest of their songs are so great.

killboybowerhead
04-30-2005, 07:42 PM
True. I dont know though lets just hope they pick a good single for the next album and Cant Repeat is a good song

ASP
04-30-2005, 07:47 PM
You have that all wrong. No real fans are saying that Splinter is bad. No Offspring fan would say that about any of their cds. The thing is that it does try, but fails in compairison to earlier cds like Smash and Ignition. And if an alleged Offspring fan says it is bad, you can smack them across the face for me.

blackballs
04-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Trust me on this, I've heard it from many people on these forums saying Splinter is bad and they put it down for no reason, I made this thread to basically just ask them what they don't like about it. Because if there going to talk bad about I think we should at least know why.

ASP
04-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Trust me on this, I've heard it from many people on these forums saying Splinter is bad and they put it down for no reason, I made this thread to basically just ask them what they don't like about it. Because if there going to talk bad about I think we should at least know why.
Slap them all digitally. I don't know how that would work, but do it anyway damnit. Use your mind powers to salp them or something. Because they are just imposter Offspring fans and I fucking hate fonies like them. They need to die.

satitania
04-30-2005, 09:53 PM
i love splinter, i think they did a great job and put a lot of thought and effort into it. They're too under rated dammit.

Punk_Conspiracy
05-01-2005, 12:55 AM
To me it just doesn't seem like a good effort. It's got a good sound - really polished and it does have it's few share of great songs but something about it is lacking for me. It started off powerfully enough, and it really should've been a lot longer, something about ten minutes longer then it was. Neocon / The Noose was a great introduction, Lightning Rod was pretty cool, Da Hui was pretty neat and for novelty songs Spare Me The Details & Hit That where great, but everything else just seemed lacking to me.

Worst Hangover Ever + When You're In Prison - everything bad about these songs has been said. Long Way Home - the drums where among the best that the Offspring have ever done but the riffs and lyrics just really shitted me to annoyance. Can't Get My Head Around You was fun at first, but for some reason I can't listen to it much anymore, the song lacks something and I really don't know what it is. As for Never Gonna Find Me, well that just seems to me like 100% filler.

And that's why I don't like Splinter.

notoriousdoc
05-01-2005, 12:59 AM
All I can say is i love every offspring song... but the last three albums...
Put these songs in an album
The Noose
Have You Ever
Staring At The Sun
Come Out Swinging
Kids Arent Alright
Cant Get My Head Around You
Damnit I Changed Again
Race Against Myself
Million Miles Away
Americana
Lightning Rod

That is an awesome cd but you see it just doesnt exactly fit because it is missing a Hit That or whatever. That is just how cds go nowadays. If the have a more solid single like a gone away or a self esteem i think that changes the output drastically. Splinter is awesome but you see why all your favorite songs just dont fit together. Maybe you understand

Where's she's got issues goddamnit! gotta love the riff on that song.And pay the man and neocon! otherwise you're right

killer_queen
05-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't like splinter. OK it has a lot of good songs but there are very few songs. i don't count neocon and when you're in prison as an offspring song. never gonna find me and lightning rod are nice songs are they sound like they're same. that's why i don't like splinter. but i like the songs.

ASP
05-01-2005, 09:15 AM
To me it just doesn't seem like a good effort. It's got a good sound - really polished and it does have it's few share of great songs but something about it is lacking for me. It started off powerfully enough, and it really should've been a lot longer, something about ten minutes longer then it was. Neocon / The Noose was a great introduction, Lightning Rod was pretty cool, Da Hui was pretty neat and for novelty songs Spare Me The Details & Hit That where great, but everything else just seemed lacking to me.

Worst Hangover Ever + When You're In Prison - everything bad about these songs has been said. Long Way Home - the drums where among the best that the Offspring have ever done but the riffs and lyrics just really shitted me to annoyance. Can't Get My Head Around You was fun at first, but for some reason I can't listen to it much anymore, the song lacks something and I really don't know what it is. As for Never Gonna Find Me, well that just seems to me like 100% filler.

And that's why I don't like Splinter.
(Digital Slap)

0r4ng3
05-01-2005, 09:16 AM
(Digital Slap)
do you wanna see a real digital slap? click on the orange link in my signature.

nameless
05-01-2005, 03:16 PM
splinter had good songs but unfirtunately the likes of hit that and when your in prison found their way onto it!

Telekinesis
05-02-2005, 02:49 AM
I dont understand people slagging off CO1 as well, thats got some of my favorite songs on..

I agree I think Co1 is a great album. One of my faves actually. It's got my all time favorite song by The Offspring, Special Delivery and it has lots of other great songs too like Come Out Swinging! I admit I do like Original Prankster but mostly because it gives me nostalgia of Primary School. I remember being in Grade 3 on the oval playing T-ball (I hated it but that's beside the point) and Guillermo and Mario would be shouting out "You can do it!" and I also remember watching the video clip and finding it so funny! Ahhh the good old days! :)

blackballs
05-06-2005, 11:35 PM
I know the album is short, but would you rather have a short quality album than a long just decent album. I think if When You're In Prison would have been replaced by a strong punk song peoples impressions about it would have been better, cause people think that its just tacked on the make the album 3 minutes longer. But I'll say it again the album has variety, and it's a cornucopia of harmonial percussions and masterful song writing. Sorry if that seems too wierd but at least the did something different with Splinter instead of re-hashing their other albums.

IAmNotOne
05-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Splinter is an awesome album, but I skip "When You're in Prison" and "The Worst Hangover Ever" each time I listen to it. I think the album's better than Smash, which only had a couple good songs.

Gayman
05-07-2005, 05:11 PM
As a drummer it's not so good to play than Rons albums.....but if we don't take the drumming first then the album is very good and the songs....

tle_punk
05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Splinter is an awesome album, but I skip "When You're in Prison" and "The Worst Hangover Ever" each time I listen to it. I think the album's better than Smash, which only had a couple good songs.
You took the words straight outta my mouth! :) And I love Josh Freese's drumming.

original_prankster
05-07-2005, 05:54 PM
I liked When You're In Prison and The Worst Hangover Ever. Even though The Worst Hangover Ever is stooping down to NOFX's level...which isn't too bad. :D I love the album. My favorite track is Race Against Myself.

JohnnyNemesis
05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Even though "The Worst Hangover Ever" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, I think Splinter is an absolute masterpiece of an album. Race Against Myself, Spare Me The Details, and Can't Get My Head Around You grow on you after awhile, Hit That is a really great song, The Noose, Da Hui and Long Way Home are both fast and fun and go well together, Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod are some of the best Offspring songs of all time.

It's short but sweet if you ask me!

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
its not that i hate it, its just that some of those songs are far from my favorite.

Camilamazed
05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
People ca keep saying bad things about Splinter but It'll still be a great Cd for me.

When You're In Prison is a very funny song.

TWHE is a song that suits me (And most of teh people here) perfectly..

I bet there are bunches of people here who must have been thu a situation exactly like that before........ :D

It reminds me a lot when I was a teen hehehe