PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia fiending.

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I've always been known as a nostalgia fiend, even before it became the annoying fashionable thing to do (not that I have a problem with the fact that nostalgic items are popular now...in fact, I'm glad).

Anyway, what are some of your favorite nostalgic items? Mine are my Garfield baseball cap which I wear every day (http://store1.yimg.com/I/cupidshut_1837_52015772) , my collection of NES and SNES video games, cassettes and CDs of music from said video games, old school Slick Rick and other rap records and CDs, my Garfield lunch box, and...I'll share more as I think of them.

rock4life09
03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
nostalgia? whats that mean?

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Nostalgia is like...when you long for things from your past...items from your childhood for example. They're usually associated with pleasant memories, but not always. Like the way I used to watch Ninja Turtles cartoons and stuff.
Edit: here's a definition from Dictionary.com, which doesn't totally apply, but it explains it better than I could:

nos·tal·gia (n-stlj, n-)
n.

1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
2. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.

nitropenguin!
03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Johnny. You Garfield fan, you <3
There aren't many past possessions that I continually cherish or long for besides old music tapes and stuffed animals (including my Garfield ones). Oh and I did think about my security blankey recently... but it kinda.. decayed in the suit case I stored it in =s

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Garfield lover forever <3 :D

Aw, it sucks that your security blanket got all decayed and stuff :( Same thing happened to me! When I have children I'll buy some stuffed animals from my childhood off of eBay and give them to my children, since I lost all of mine in a weird accident many years ago.

rock4life09
03-12-2005, 05:57 PM
o ok thanks.

yeah lately i've been wanting my old rainbow brite doll but i cant find it :(

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 05:59 PM
My sister has a Rainbow Brite doll when she was younger. I think I'll buy one for her if I ever can!

nitropenguin!
03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Johnny that's a great idea. Your kids will love it =P What kind of accident was it?

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, I think it was a "Mom deciding we were too old to play with dolls and disposing of them without realizing that the dolls still held sentimental value to her children" accident, though she claims it was an accidental burning of the box by dropping her cigarette in there.

...Riiiiight.

Sunny
03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
a pink & white plaid blankie i've had since.. well since i was a fetus really
a small glass monster that used to be attached to a hair scrunchie
a stuffed creature wearing a shirt that says "przytul mnie" ("hug me")

=')

Sunny
03-12-2005, 06:10 PM
PS. i am so pathetic i actually got up to see whether they were still in my room. i'd flip the shit if i ever lost them.

Isolated Fury
03-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I still have my old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
For Sunny: Aww, that's not pathetic at all! You're lucky you still have those items. My most prized item of nostalgia now is my stuffed penguin that my recently deceased grandfather gave me when I was ten years old. I'll go insane if I lose that.

For Isolated Fury: Did you ever have the talking turtles? The ones with the red strips that you put in the back of their shells, pull, and hear them talk? How about the turtles van?

SkunkIt
03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
o ok thanks.

yeah lately i've been wanting my old rainbow brite doll but i cant find it :(I think I found it for you! This lady sells them! :D

http://www.dollinfo.com/Store/dolls/1sale80s.htm (http://www.dollinfo.com/Store/dolls/1sale80s.htm)

http://www.cosmicjive.org/80s/graphics/rainbowbrite_moc1.jpg

Isolated Fury
03-12-2005, 06:28 PM
For Isolated Fury: Did you ever have the talking turtles? The ones with the red strips that you put in the back of their shells, pull, and hear them talk? How about the turtles van?[/QUOTE]

Haha...I never had the talking ones. I DID, however, have the van. My cousin broke it when I was like 9, though. I beat him up so bad that he wasn't allowed at our house for 4 months. :cool:

I also had the turtles that opened up in their shell. I had the motorcycle for both the turtles and April. I had a sludge cannon for that one slimey evil dude. Umm...what else, what else?....I had the Rat King, Baxter the Fly, and some bull-type dude. I had Napoleon Bullfrog, some duck guy, and a robot of some sort. I also had all of the turtles OTHER costumes, like Leonardo as a samurai, Donatello as a detective, Michelangello as a surfer, and Raphael as an astronaut.

I know I'm forgetting more. I had like 5 huge buckets full of them.

rock4life09
03-12-2005, 06:28 PM
yahhhhhhhhh!!!!! im surprised they still sell rainbow brite dolls. i love her!!!!! :D

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I also had the turtles that opened up in their shell. I had the motorcycle for both the turtles and April. I had a sludge cannon for that one slimey evil dude. Umm...what else, what else?....I had the Rat King, Baxter the Fly, and some bull-type dude. I had Napoleon Bullfrog, some duck guy, and a robot of some sort. I also had all of the turtles OTHER costumes, like Leonardo as a samurai, Donatello as a detective, Michelangello as a surfer, and Raphael as an astronaut.

I know I'm forgetting more. I had like 5 huge buckets full of them.

Haha, my van was fucked up too, man! I can barely recognize the following image because it's in such great condition:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ta/taof1/turpartywagon.JPG
And dude, you had Baxter?! And April?! Shit man, I would have had to beat YOU up just for those toys... :D

Isolated Fury
03-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah, my grandma just kept buying them for me. I didn't mind, though! Haha...I had such an incredible collection. But then my mom started giving them to her little nephews about a year ago without my knowledge. I know I'm 17 and all, but you just don't give up your turtles. Haha

I went to go check on my TMNTs, and I found another of my childhood treasures.

When I was younger, I spent ALL of my money on Hot Wheels cars. I had close to 500 of them without doubles. Then I just kind of stopped buying them. I still kept them, just didn't buy them anymore. Out of the hundreds of cars I had I only have a case of 48 left. My mom gave the rest to the Salvation Army...I almost killed her when I found out.

Rag Doll
03-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I have tons of stuffed animals...I'm most attached to a bear I had since I was born (it was given to my mom for me before i was born, actually) and a stuffed dog that was my mom's when she was little. I also have a charm that was on a necklace that my best friend gave me when we were like...9. He used to make me wear it for every school picture. It was only on one of those thin black cords though, so the cord broke a long time ago. There's probably more stuff too, but I can't think right now.

And Garfield is awesome. I have so much Garfield stuff. And one of my cats is just like him. He's fat. He sleeps all day. He has his own lil teddy. He pushes the dog off the couch. And his birthday is even around the same time (Garfield's is June 19th, and my cat was born sometime during that week, but the pet store didn't have the exact date).

SkunkIt
03-12-2005, 06:48 PM
yahhhhhhhhh!!!!! im surprised they still sell rainbow brite dolls. i love her!!!!! :DThey sell new ones too! :D

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
That's crazy...I gotta get me some Wrinkles dolls!

nitropenguin, check PMs.

nitropenguin!
03-12-2005, 06:52 PM
nitropenguin, check PMs.
My gosh, I should do something about that. Constantly take ages to realize I have PM! Did the same to Dave, but it took half and hour =P

JohnnyNemesis
03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Haha, it happens to all of us. You got another!

Chris
03-12-2005, 07:25 PM
And dude, you had Baxter?! And April?! Shit man, I would have had to beat YOU up just for those toys... :D

I've got them as well! Although I broke April's leg off somehow....

I guess I've got some real old and collectable toys hiding somewhere up in the loft but my Beano collection is probably something I treasure most.
Strangely enough, I've been pretty nostalgic over the past week or so, just thinking about times gone by and even to the extent of getting a few videos off ebay of shows I used to watch and like lots when I was younger.

the_GoDdEsS
03-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Nostalgia for things? I am pretty nostalgic when it comes to my childhood or certain periods of my life.
I miss one cow I used to chew on when I was a baby. It was green and all cute.
And one Slovak cartoon character I had a crush on when I was little.

And the times when we'd hang out with the kids from the neighbourhood and we'd roleplay so much and go explore the nature and run around, play hide and seek and all that shit. Bah, I loved it more than toys. It was a feeling of freedom. And we were all so happy.

BuddyHolly
03-13-2005, 06:05 AM
My SNES, some old house-cd's, my G.I.-JOE video!!!, and a musictape by the Dire Straits...

Vera
03-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Moomins on TV, an anime called Silver Fang, Uncle Fedja, A Cat and A Dog-book (Russian children's book by Uspenski), loads of soft toys...

For some reason, Barbie dolls don't really mean crap to me. I used to play with those alone, but small animal toys I played with when I was playing with my cousins, those mean a lot. Some of those stories we played, man, memorable.

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 11:17 AM
My gosh, I should do something about that. Constantly take ages to realize I have PM! Did the same to Dave, but it took half and hour =P

dude set your options - you can make a little window appear when you get one, tis good.

Back on topic:

I have a teddy which i've always had, getting really old, stuffing coming out, losing colour. ah well that teddy rocks!

that's about it though.

Tired_Of_You
03-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Oh my God! My old old old old old Bugs Bunny my grand-mother gave me when I was a baby! He lost his teeth, he's grey-yellow where he's supposed to be white, his long ears don't stand like they are supposed to and there's a hole in his right ear and also on his neck. Oh and his eyes, I had to paint the black of his eyes because it disappeared. I always had him with me. I love my "bunny vieux" Haha, I'm so pathetic.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Ah, I'm nostalgic about my cd player. Even though I only got it last summer. But some bastards stole it and there were so many things related to that cd player ='( Aaaaaaaaargh!

And that's about it. I'm not nostalgic about older stuff from when I was young cause they're all destroyed =/ Meh...