PDA

View Full Version : what is pluto???

voodoomagik
03-13-2005, 09:19 AM
ok!!here's the thing!!!i heared that somewhere and it stuck in my head!!!we all saw the walt disney cartoons or whatever!!!ok...mickey mouse is a mouse...goofy is a dog....but what the fuck is pluto???(i mean goofy is a dog dude)!!!!

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Roman God of the Underworld, known as Hades to the Greeks, and brother of Jupiter who was the ruler/king of the Olympian Gods.

:cool:

Correction: Pluto was the god of the underworld in Roman mythology. He abducted Proserpina (Greek = Persephone) so he could marry her, her mother Ceres (Greek = Demeter) caused winter in the 6 months of the year that Proserpina was forced to live with Pluto each year (having eaten a pomegranate seed) and caused summer in the seasons when she was reunited with her daughter.

One should be careful not to confuse Pluto with the Greek god Ploutos, the god of riches.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:23 AM
A bigger planet than Sedna by about 300 kilometers, if you compare their circumference.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
It's slightly larger than half of the United States.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:26 AM
A bigger planet than Sedna by about 300 kilometers, if you compare their circumference.
Oh my god.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:27 AM
A planet believed that under the solid icy surface there is life, NASA is constructing a satellite, which name I forgot, to be sent there.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh my god.
what did I do wrong?
Don't tell me, I'm gay aren't I?
I hate myself.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:28 AM
A planet believed that under the solid icy surface there is life, NASA is constructing a satellite, which name I forgot, to be sent there.

Which is impossible seeing as the atmosphere and surface are covered in methan, with a side of nitrogen and carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. It's also -235 degrees celcius there. :rolleyes:

(I'm doing a project on it at the moment)

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Oh my god.

what did I do wrong?
Don't tell me, I'm gay aren't I?
I hate myself.
Nothing.
You're not.
Don't hate yourself because I like you.

Which is impossible seeing as the atmosphere and surface are covered in methan, with a side of nitrogen and carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. It's also -235 degrees celcius there. :rolleyes:

Oh my god.

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 09:32 AM

Yeah true, but life could still have evolved to live in these extreme conditions; there's always a slim possibility and i find it hard to believe that our planet is the only one which supports life in the entire universe.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:34 AM

It said to have some kind of substance that would prevent it from freezing, also it would have some thing in the back which will use a nitrogen-oxygen mix that will be hot enough to melt the ice.
I'm just interested in this stuff.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Don't hate yourself because I like you.

Wow, thank god I'm not gay, I like you, too.

nieh
03-13-2005, 09:35 AM

There's bacteria that thrive in methane environments and volcanos. I'm sure something could survive on Pluto if it evolved that way.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Wow, thank god I'm not gay, I like you, too.
There's nothing wrong with gay people. I think.
Weeeeh

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:38 AM
There's nothing wrong with gay people. I think.
Weeeeh
But I'm not gay, I'm I?

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:40 AM
It said to have some kind of substance that would prevent it from freezing, also it would have some thing in the back which will use a nitrogen-oxygen mix that will be hot enough to melt the ice.
I'm just interested in this stuff.

There's no oxygen, though.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:40 AM
I think they're laso looking for life in Europa, some planet's moon, I forgot which one though.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:41 AM
There's no oxygen, though.
That's why they're not considered human, maybe they have some other other substance on which they depend on.

dirtybird
There's bacteria that thrive in methane environments and volcanos. I'm sure something could survive on Pluto if it evolved that way.

1. He was talking about people, though.

2. Pluto is atleast -150 to -200 degrees CELCIUS colder than antartica.

dirtybird
I think they're laso looking for life in Europa, some planet's moon, I forgot which one though.

Mars as well.

voodoomagik
03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
god dammit im aking about pluto the animated character from the cartoons,,,...not the planet or the god!!!!jessus!!!

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
1. He was talking about people, though.

2. Pluto is atleast -150 to -200 degrees CELCIUS colder than antartica.

I was talking about life, anything that's alive, bacteria, aliens, anything.
Or probably anything that was once alive.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
But I'm not gay, I'm I?
No, of course you're not!

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
^^^^^^ There wouldn't be people but some form of life is possible

Europa was a Phoenician princess who had three children by Zeus in Crete, where he had taken her after assuming the guise of a white bull. Their offspring were Rhadamanthys, Minos, and Sarpedon

alternatively Europa is the smallest of the four Galilean satellites of Jupiter. Diameter: 3140 km; orbital radius: 671 000 km

:p Damn i'm good...

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I was talking about life, anything that's alive, bacteria, aliens, anything.
Or probably anything that was once alive.

I was originally commenting on how you said there's a secret sattelite being built inside Pluto.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:45 AM

Europa was a Phoenician princess who had three children by Zeus in Crete, where he had taken her after assuming the guise of a white bull. Their offspring were Rhadamanthys, Minos, and Sarpedon

alternatively Europa is the smallest of the four Galilean satellites of Jupiter. Diameter: 3140 km; orbital radius: 671 000 km

:p Damn i'm good...

You need a life.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:46 AM

:p Damn i'm good...]
Did you look that up?

@Psycho:
Thank god I'm not gay.

@Dirtybird:
the satellite is built by NASA, it might be sent to Europa or Pluto.

nieh
03-13-2005, 09:46 AM

wait...so that lady had 3 children with a white bull and claimed it was Zeus? That's some fucked up mythology there.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:48 AM
@Psycho: Thank god I'm not gay.
God is gay though. If he does really exist.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:48 AM
]

@Dirtybird:
the satellite is built by NASA, it might be sent to Europa or Pluto.

I thought you meant the rumors were that it was being built on Pluto.. my bad.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:50 AM
God is gay though. If he does really exist.
Sometimes I ask myself that, too.

No problem.

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Sometimes I ask myself that, too.
Ah, I never believed in him. Not even when I was young and naive.
But he would be gay if it would turn out that he exists.

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Ah, I never believed in him. Not even when I was young and naive.
But he would be gay if it would turn out that he exists.
Indeed .

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
wait...so that lady had 3 children with a white bull and claimed it was Zeus? That's some fucked up mythology there.

lol, Greek/Roman mythology rocks!

]
Did you look that up?

nope.

@Maria: well done dude! I wish i could've been bothered to type all that!

apart from:

Hades is also known as Ploutos, the God of Riches who can be found in the Earth.... At Eleusis where Persephone is called Thea (Goddess), Hades is called Theos (God).

Hades = Pluto but not Ploutos! He's someone different; i could've sworn it.

And is that last bit true that the were just called 'god' and 'goddess'? I knew the Greek words but would've thought that Hades and Persephone weren't important enough to be refered to like that? Maybe only Zeus and Hera? I dunno...explain please. :)

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
To Noodles-is-gay: I've posted the long shit about hades and pluto just so that you'd correct a mistake: pluto is "ploutos" is the god of riches, since riches lie in the underworld. For further info, read my post.

Maria

And how i enjoyed reading/finding tiny errors in it :p

He's not, NOT!!!

where'd you get that from?

original_psycho
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Indeed .
Quite .

sk8ter-hater
03-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Quite .
Precisely.

I will just stay away from mythology.

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I can scarce credit my eyes *rubs them* it's not DusTygrin, argh, but DusKygrin... anyhow... yes it's entirely, utterly and absolutely true.

Hades was in a way the god of riches... Like Ploutos... he was the same... & the Romans, who had such a vivid imagination, called their god Pluto. That's it. What's more, Hades was much, much darker than Pluto. He had a wan complexion, dark eyes, was saturnine... & his kingdom was seldom dealt upon by Greek poets (does the word "aed" exist in English?) whereas Roman writers expatiated on it... why don't you believe me in the name of Heavens, Jesus & His ministering seraphs I am HELLENIC!!!

Maria

Sorry about the name thing...

ergh!

ok here's what i thought; Greek mythology had the two gods - Ploutos and Hades - the Romans kinda spliced them together and called him Pluto. SO in Roman mythology they are the same, more or less, but in Greek they are two different gods.

"his kingdom was seldom dealt upon by Greek poets " - Aristophanes' Frogs; Dionysus goes to the underworld to take a tragic poet back to Athens, he is disguised as Herakles, and Euripides and Aeschylus have a competition. Aeschylus wins (with 'lost his bottle of oil' :p ) so Dionysus takes him back to the real world with him. The play appears to be a complete mockery of Euripides, but is almost totally based in Hades. Sorry - just one example. You should read it too; one of my favourite plays. :cool:

Oh and please explain the 'theos' / 'thea' thing, because i wouldn't have thought them important enough to be refered to like that.

no, 'aed' isn't a word.

"why don't you believe me in the name of Heavens, Jesus & His ministering seraphs" - i gotta use that sometime! :) So cool!

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't care a toss anyhow... whether you believe me or not... this is true. And Hades is my one true love, so I should know, I think.

Maria

ok yeah fine, but any chance you can explain the theos / thea thing? Seeing as you're an all knowing Greek

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Must NIG talk about classics in every single post?

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Must NIG talk about classics in every single post?

Yes, yes, goddamn it!

Man i haven't done my classics homework yet, damn

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 10:19 AM
So go do it then!

*Cries with repetitive frustration*

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Are you a guy or a chick, unholy... ?

Maria

P.s.: meaning no offence

Is it not obvious from my avatar?

Choose your answer carefully.

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Back to our point: arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh in the name of ev'rything you hold sacred... get a grip, Maria... alright. I did NOT mean that Hades (=kingdom) is not referred to. I just meant that the DESCRIPTION of it was not harped on. You know, the different places, rivers... we do know them, certes, but only by some, very few, accounts. Whereas Roman poets... they waxed lyrical...

Well i can't remember offhand how much of a description Aristophanes gives...but yeah they're not referred to as much as the Roman poets do it. I wasn't arguing that...? Nevermind.

They were only referred to as Theos and Thea at ELEUSIS. I should think you know what kind of dark rituals took place there...

Maria

Ah, and it all becomes perfectly clear now, cheers; plus that will provide a good digression for me to get the teacher to follow in my next art and architecture class :p

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:24 AM
So go do it then!

*Cries with repetitive frustration*

Well i would, i only have part 3 left to do (How fair-minded is Herodotus in book vii?) but my little brother and his friends are on the trampolineoutside and i can't really work well with their childish shouting and laughing. Plus i work better at like 2am so i'll do it then. :cool:

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Let's call it quit if we ever argued. Let's shake hands if we did not. *heaves a sigh*

Digress your heart away, young buck!

Maria

sure thing, cheers

*shakes hand*

lol - we asked him how one would go about becoming the pope last lesson :D

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 10:25 AM
That's precisely looking at your avatar that got me wondering. I'm sorry, I'm French... dunno, maybe that can account for my impaired vision.

Maria

I'm male.

I've been asked this question about 6 times.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Is it not obvious from my avatar?

Choose your answer carefully.

he's a hot guy...that won't talk to me..
but I don't mind

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm male.

I've been asked this question about 6 times.

once by me....

dexterisMYman
03-13-2005, 12:54 PM
another dumb thread started by punkangel

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:54 PM
yeah, this thread wasn't started by me dumbass

dexterisMYman
03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
opps sorry cuz its so stupid i thought the only person that couldve started it was u

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
if you see under the thread name, that the user that made this thread is stated there

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
opps sorry cuz its so stupid i thought the only person that couldve started it was u

funny how no one's backing you up

dexterisMYman
03-13-2005, 12:57 PM
i know but i didnt so yeah. but it is stupid and ur the only person that starts pointless stupid threads so i just guessed. my guess was wrong.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 12:57 PM
yeah I don't start pointless threads.

dexterisMYman
03-13-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah you did start the perverts one which was pointless. u just wanted attention.

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Dudes, don't worry about a little mistake like that! I just thought that was Orlando Bloom *grrr*

so leave it! :)

punkangel
will you let go of that? you are the only one still talking about that thread. I agree it was pointless. let's talk about your threads..you favorite offspring member? jesus now that's the stupidest thing to talk about

dexterisMYman
yeah but u have to say the perverts thread was pointless.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Dudes, don't worry about a little mistake like that! I just thought that was Orlando Bloom *grrr*

so leave it! :)

I thought her avatar was orlando too..I hate that dude they call an actor

Noodles is gay
03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I thought her avatar was orlando too..I hate that dude they call an actor

I can't stand the bloke; he can't act, he's not 'gorgeous' as people claim and he, he, he's so gay!!! :mad:

dexterisMYman
03-13-2005, 01:02 PM
will you let go of that? you are the only one still talking about that thread. I agree it was pointless. let's talk about your threads..you favorite offspring member? jesus now that's the stupidest thing to talk about
hey retard i started that when i was a new member. u learn fast to not start pointless threads. oh and i think its funny that that day i imed u, u had your friend im me 2 yell at me. u couldnt do it yourself. your a wussy.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:06 PM
hey retard i started that when i was a new member. u learn fast to not start pointless threads. oh and i think its funny that that day i imed u, u had your friend im me 2 yell at me. u couldnt do it yourself. your a wussy.

she actually wanted to call you a blonde bitch. But before she did, you ran off AIM. And also, you we bragging that you were rich..and don't tell me you weren't cuz you were don't worry I have a good memory...it's not easy being rich cuz I got a 2005 mustang for christmas.... yeah and my friend loves to beat up blondes so you better watch you fat ass

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't stand the bloke; he can't act, he's not 'gorgeous' as people claim and he, he, he's so gay!!! :mad:

I know my friend is like he's so hot..and I'm like...ew!

turb0negr0
03-13-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't start pointless threads.

That made me laugh so hard!!

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:10 PM
That made me laugh so hard!!

dude, what about your threads? but I can admit that some of my threads are pointless...but yours are all pointless

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:10 PM
What is this called... clash of the idiots or something like that?

yeah...she just can't let go of some things
she's very immature

turb0negr0
03-13-2005, 01:12 PM
dude, what about your threads? but I can admit that some of my threads are pointless...but yours are all pointless

I have never even started a thread, genius.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 01:13 PM
I have never even started a thread, genius.

I thought you did..my bad

turb0negr0
03-13-2005, 01:52 PM
* laughs hysterically*

*whispers something to Adriann*

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM

Bet punkangel's devestated that she didn't get YOUR approval.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Bet punkangel's devestated that she didn't get YOUR approval.

what kind of approval..I wasn't listening...or paying attention when I was reading it

nitropenguin!
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Then why should he explain if you won't pay attention?

punkangel
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Because I was being stupid ;)

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Bad-a-bing bad-a-boom.

punkangel
03-13-2005, 04:35 PM
see, that made me even more confused

nitropenguin!
03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Have you had a change of heart? Now you want to show us you really are stupid?

punkangel
03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
no I was kidding

voodoomagik
03-19-2005, 04:10 AM
i hate you guys..i hate you guys so much!!!!!(btw cartman rulz!!!)