PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Records good or Bad

Hyper nova
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Does any one think like me that Columbia Record is the reason why splinter hasn't sold well as supposed to the music being bad cause i think splinter is great. I'm getting the feeling that Columbia have kindda abandoned the band a bit after CO1 (obviously not literally). But i dont feel that Columbia are advertising their music properly not compared to to say Green Day with reprise. I know green day are more out going in terms of wanting to be on the front covers of magazines.

Maybe this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I hope that the Greatest hits Album is advertised well because that will deserve to do well at least in the top 10 for a while. Because if it doesn't i think this will prove my point.

I Think the reason why Splinter Hasn't done well is cause People don't know it exists.

What peples opinion on this

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I chose the singles one. I think The Noose should have been the main single. But besides that, I also think that The Offspring should be a little outgoing as well.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I just wish the wouldn't have released Hit That as the first single off of Splinter. If they would have released The Noose or Race Against Myslef to start off with, the CD would have sold much better. I think a lot of Offspring fans are missing out on Splinter because of the poor choice of singles.

vintagepunkrock7
03-13-2005, 07:41 PM
i thought splinter was good, but there were much stronger songs than hit that that could have been chosen as the first single, and it wasnt really, whats the word, advertising(?) for it. maybe it was just here but it didnt get alot of radio play either. it would have been cool if splinter did better but either way i like the album and thats all that really matters to me.

Dexter_Kyle
03-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I chose the poor choice of singles, they should have pick: the noose, race against myself or lightning rod, I mean, those are really great songs, long way home too, with hit that and CGMHAY I'm sure people thought it was a weak album or something like that. But to me, it was the poor choice of singles :( .
I love the album though and every song in it, except for WYIP :D

smashitup-
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
95% was Columbia's fault. Admit it guys. Who actually saw the Hit That video? I had to download it. Same with Splinters second single. Never saw eather on Much Music. The CD just wasnt advertised at all. Columbia did a nice job with Ixnay, Americana and I thought a pretty good job with CO1 but they did a very poor job of advertizing Splinter. The 4% of that is probly the singles they chose. It could of been Cant Get My (Head Around You) being the first single then The Noose as the second single. But then again, the past singles where Original Prankster, Why Dont You Get a Job and Pretty Fly which Much Music and other music channels aired a ton of times. I remember back in 2000 when the video for Original Prankster was on every 30 minutes. Same goes for the Americana videos. I think Columbia did a great job up until Splinter.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
i thought splinter was good, but there were much stronger songs than hit that that could have been chosen as the first single, and it wasnt really, whats the word, advertising(?) for it. maybe it was just here but it didnt get alot of radio play either. it would have been cool if splinter did better but either way i like the album and thats all that really matters to me.

Hit That got played alot here the first couple weeks which is where I first heard the name of the band, but after that they didn't really play them and they hardly ever played head around you.

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
definitely a bad choice in singles.
it seems that they are still trying to cash in with the whole "pretty fly" audience, so now they shy away from the rock stuff. CGMHAY was too short to really be and effective single i think. i would have liked to see "the noose", "long way home" and "lightning rod" as singles, maybe it wouldve sold more, or would have been taken more seriously.
but then again i cant be sure because i dont speak for every listener.

ditch columbia.

blackballs
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah MTV and Fuse played it a lot the first month and then well Hit That kind of disappeared but I still see Fuse play (Can't Get My) Head Around You and I can't believe I just admitted to watching MTV.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:44 PM
definitely a bad choice in singles.
it seems that they are still trying to cash in with the whole "pretty fly" audience, so now they shy away from the rock stuff. CGMHAY was too short to really be and effective single i think. i would have liked to see "the noose", "long way home" and "lightning rod" as singles, maybe it wouldve sold more, or would have been taken more seriously.
but then again i cant be sure because i dont speak for every listener.

ditch columbia.

I, along with some other true Offspring fans, killed most of the "Pretty Fly" fans.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 09:44 PM
95% was Columbia's fault. Admit it guys. Who actually saw the Hit That video? I had to download it. Same with Splinters second single. Never saw eather on Much Music. The CD just wasnt advertised at all. Columbia did a nice job with Ixnay, Americana and I thought a pretty good job with CO1 but they did a very poor job of advertizing Splinter. The 4% of that is probly the singles they chose. It could of been Cant Get My (Head Around You) being the first single then The Noose as the second single. But then again, the past singles where Original Prankster, Why Dont You Get a Job and Pretty Fly which Much Music and other music channels aired a ton of times. I remember back in 2000 when the video for Original Prankster was on every 30 minutes. Same goes for the Americana videos. I think Columbia did a great job up until Splinter.

I agree with the choice of Original Prankster as a single, but otherwise you're right.

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-13-2005, 10:14 PM
I, along with some other true Offspring fans, killed most of the "Pretty Fly" fans.
but theyre like roaches, they could live through a nuclear holocaust.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:15 PM
but theyre like roaches, they could live through a nuclear holocaust.

Shotguns never fail.

StayInTheHouseCarl
03-13-2005, 10:18 PM
yeah, it seems that columbia has given up on them, which is stupid, because the offspring are a solid band.

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
I doubt they would give up on a band that's been around for as long as The Offspring and has a greatest hits coming out. If they've changed at all they're probably trying to get The Offspring to like them more because the contract only has like a year left.

Italia311
03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
How about this...
Maybe the general population of CD Buyers have just lost interest in the offspring because they haven't been able to produce a large amount of popularity in 6 yrs. They are just fading away. The Offspring just doesn't seem like they're into it anymore. They promote the punk aspect of their success too much, no t.v shows, or magazines and whatever...and thats a big part of selling cd's. Exposer

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:22 PM
How about this...
Maybe the general population of CD Buyers have just lost interest in the offspring because they haven't been able to produce a large amount of popularity in 6 yrs. They are just fading away. The Offspring just doesn't seem like they're into it anymore. They promote the punk aspect of their success too much, no t.v shows, or magazines and whatever...and thats a big part of selling cd's. Exposer

I think more of it is that the majority of the 'music' community these days listen to rap and other MTV stuff, so magazines or whatever are more likely to put stuff about them than The Offspring.

Italia311
03-13-2005, 10:26 PM
But there are magazine that will only put certain bands on the cover. Know what I mean?

dirtybird
03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Which is what I'm saying. Those certain bands will be the bands played on MTV mostly.

CommonRider
03-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Why I think Splinter didnt do well:

1. Barley any advertising
2. No video till the CD was out for a month
3. Hit That is a great song but the video sucked
4. The 2nd single, CGMHAY, is alright/good but unspectacular, didnt get much air play or make many new fans.
5. The Offspring havent been very big since 1998, Co1 wasnt very big either
6. Im sure people from Americana and Co1 are pissed for buying the CD for Pretty Fly and Original Prankster and then getting CDs that sound nothing like the lead singles. SInce Americana Offspring singles have represented the CDs horrible.

And yeah the band wasnt very out going at all. I really blame the debuting at #30 of Splinter on the lack of the video, there was no build up for Splinter at all!

BuddyHolly
03-14-2005, 02:25 AM
The bandmembers are just getting old...

RonWelty
03-14-2005, 04:03 AM
they´re stars , goddamn it , and they want to stay a little more with the family ..i believe that with their shows at warped tour and greatest hits , they will "get back" all the energy and power that they had ...let´s hope that !

Come out and smash'em up!
03-14-2005, 04:13 AM
The hit that single was ok, and it was played here in finland by the rock channels(only).,but the videos weren't really good hit that was animnated and didn't give any picture about the band and head around you is a great song ,but the video isn't special and the single should have been released much earlier. The Americana videos like pretty fly and kids arent allright were great!!!!

ps. Da hui can never be a hit.

dexterisMYman
03-14-2005, 04:30 AM
i just didnt like splinter.

Hyper nova
03-14-2005, 07:18 AM
I also think that the singles could have been the problem but im sticking with advertising because even though Hit that was shown a bit on say (in the UK) Kerrang! (and alternative music channel) or Scuzz (also alternative) it wasnt shown a lot. It was hardly shown on the Pop channels like MTV or Q etc although i hardly watch those unlike say American Idiot was all over the place. I heard H.T. only once on BBC Radio 1 and never Hear CGMHAY and saw that only once on Kerrang! This would be Columbia not distributing it properly. Ok The Singles werent the best but they arnt bad. Then again neither were they for Americana They were just the most popy ones again i dont think they were bad just no great but they did sell the record. Same thing with CO1 Original Prankster is not great but popy and so is Want you bad (altho this is actually quite good in my opinion) (good is relative because 99% of offspring songs are good or better). OK CO1 didnt sell great compared to Americana Smash and Ixnay but has done a lot better that Splinter but i still see OP and PF(FAWG) a lot more than i see CGMHAY.

I also havent ever seen an actual advert saying "Offsprings new album out now" Kindda thing.

Where as Ive seen numourous "American idiot" Adverts.

Sorry to keep using Green day for comparisons

great repsonce. Let hope these comments make it back to the band so they can improve for next time. If any one from the band or accociated with the band actually ever read the boards ofcourse.

Hyper nova
03-14-2005, 07:22 AM
oh yer i think the videos arnt great but Da Hui is a great vid pity its a vid only song and would never and can't realistically be use as a single.

Also i notice Dexter is looking a little porky in Da Hui especially when he is hanging up-side down.

Mannen som blev en gris
03-14-2005, 07:27 AM
No one really noticed it I think....The singles weren't played so much, atleast not here in Sweden (I think I saw "Hit That" like 5 times or so, and "(Can't Get My) Head Around You" once). Also, I don't think Offspring has a lot of respect anymore... :(

Swill
03-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I live in Ireland and people here think the offspring havent done anything since americana, thats like seven years ago. Americana was absolutly massive here, now no knowledge of the band exists really. Even my local cd shop dosent care about the offspring, i cant buy offspring stuff on the spot, i have to order it, can someone please explain this to me????Suddenly, the offspring have essentially vanished since the over played and in your face days of americana. Its annoying. I want people to share my love for this band, but the industry dosent help.Ive only once seen the hit that video on tv, the da hui video off the splinter bonus dvd and the cant get my head video of the single cd extra!!!!!What a joke!!!And everywhere i go i see good charlotte......................etc, dosent make sense. Even if the band has lost respect its only due to single minded people who only ever heard pretty fly, or original prankster!!!!!They dont know, elders, blackball, dirty magic, no hero, bad habit, something to believe in, gone away, amazed, end of the line, pay the man, denial revisited, dammit i changed again, lightning rod or the noose. These people are missing out.....................
________
Wiki vaporizer (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

Mannen som blev en gris
03-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Totaly agree.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I live in Ireland and people here think the offspring havent done anything since americana, thats like seven years ago. Americana was absolutly massive here, now no knowledge of the band exists really. Even my local cd shop dosent care about the offspring, i cant buy offspring stuff on the spot, i have to order it, can someone please explain this to me????Suddenly, the offspring have essentially vanished since the over played and in your face days of americana. Its annoying. I want people to share my love for this band, but the industry dosent help.Ive only once seen the hit that video on tv, the da hui video off the splinter bonus dvd and the cant get my head video of the single cd extra!!!!!What a joke!!!And everywhere i go i see good charlotte......................etc, dosent make sense. Even if the band has lost respect its only due to single minded people who only ever heard pretty fly, or original prankster!!!!!They dont know, elders, blackball, dirty magic, no hero, bad habit, something to believe in, gone away, amazed, end of the line, pay the man, denial revisited, dammit i changed again, lightning rod or the noose. These people are missing out.....................
here in venezuela is extrange and it´s almost the same than there, here we can buy all offspring´s disc but is hard to find ignition, s/f, i mean old disc is really hard to find it, but since americana all disc can be find it in all shops (including ixnay)...strange but nothing than out of innusual

smashitup-
03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
This maybe a dumbass question, but why exacly did they leave Epitaph?

Unnatural Disaster
03-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Poor choice of singles...

They should've released: Lightning Rod, Race Against Myself, and Can't Get My Head Around You, and maybe The Noose...

that would've definitely helped sales.

Unnatural Disaster
03-14-2005, 07:43 PM
This maybe a dumbass question, but why exacly did they leave Epitaph?

http://members.aol.com/delirium4u/offspring/letter1.txt

dirtybird
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
That's actually a cool story, I knew the roots of it, just had never read it out all the way.

billiejoe87_greenday
03-15-2005, 12:13 AM
I wreckon its got to do with the fact that, they've almost become an underground band. With Americana and Smash they were massive. But they just havent done anything recently, thats made a big impact on the music scene.

voodoomagik
03-15-2005, 05:05 AM
well...first of all how do u know splinter hasnt sold well???anyway i dont know what kind of policy does columbia records have...but answer to me...does the label choose which songs get a video...???if that is the label's decision..then..yes columbia are to blame...i mean look at co1...songs like million miles away,dammit i changet again,vultures-now those songs deserved a video...and yes..what the fuck...all the ppl say offspring r sellouts and stuff...but it's true-they arent outgoin...and quite frankly i agree with who ever said that most of the ppl dont know about their existance...columbia did kinda leave offspring right after america..with the napster scandal...i mean i am from romania and here splinter isnt even in stores..can u believe that???and ppl wud love the songs on splinter...the other day i was kickin with a friend and i've put some 'race against myself' and 'cant get my head around you' and he loved it..he even asked me to give him the cd...he hasnt heared anything about them since pretty fly for a white guy.....and another thing...u know how many times hit that video was played on mtv romania>>>???(once!!!) and "cant get my head around you"(never!!!)this sux indeed!!!i guess its up to us to get some more ppl into offspring's music..because some ppl are DOING THEIR JOB WEll...they shud get back to epitaph records...there ppl care about what happens...ppl like brett gurawitz!!!!!!!

Hyper nova
03-15-2005, 06:35 AM
they shud get back to epitaph records...there ppl care about what happens...ppl like brett gurawitz!!!!!!!

if you read the letter above u will see that Brett is the biggest sell out of any one and he is the reason why they left epitaph in the first place.

Maybe Offspring should Start Making the Records on their own label.

Correct me if I'm Wrong but Doesnt Dexter own his own label. Isn't it either Nemisis or Nitro cant remeber which or am i wrong??????? :confused:

Then again if from what i read in that letter it sound as if they dont wanna be sell huge amounts of record again moving to there own Indie label will enable them to run things how they like. as well as supporting indie labels again.

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Dexter owns Nitro.

Hyper nova
03-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Thought so wasnt sure

Chears

dexterisMYman
03-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Also i notice Dexter is looking a little porky in Da Hui especially when he is hanging up-side down.
hes always been porky he so cute porky

willferno
03-20-2005, 07:05 PM
anyone knows how many albums they still have to do with columbia before the contract ends

Tired_Of_You
03-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Only one .

bouncingcoles
03-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Does any one think like me that Columbia Record is the reason why splinter hasn't sold well as supposed to the music being bad cause i think splinter is great. I'm getting the feeling that Columbia have kindda abandoned the band a bit after CO1 (obviously not literally). But i dont feel that Columbia are advertising their music properly not compared to to say Green Day with reprise. I know green day are more out going in terms of wanting to be on the front covers of magazines.

Maybe this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I hope that the Greatest hits Album is advertised well because that will deserve to do well at least in the top 10 for a while. Because if it doesn't i think this will prove my point.

I Think the reason why Splinter Hasn't done well is cause People don't know it exists.

What peples opinion on this

i just dont think splinter was good enough of an album. sure songs like the noose cant get my head around you long way home and neocon are amazing but it wasnt a very impressive album, it was really short, and it just didnt have songs that would be good singles. i can see why it didnt sell too well. although i DO ADMIT COLUMBIA DID A SHITTY JOB PROMOTING THE ALBUM so it could have sold better prehaps. overall although CO1 isnt liked as much by the fans as splinter i think C01 was a much more impressive album with more impressive songs that appeal to more people. although i love both albums

Jimbob2005
03-22-2005, 02:45 AM
i chose poor choice of singles
but it's also down to the fact that a mixture of problems was involved, and no one had actually heard of it anyway
and yea, columbia records did a pretty shitty job in promoting it

OffspringMan00
04-04-2005, 04:49 PM
columbia is good they sighned to them when ixnay on the hombre came out but id have to agree on the new cd it is good but sumthin went wrong.

Jack the Tripper
04-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Offspring's singles are way too messed up, causing Splinter to not sell well. the real singles should be The Noose, Race Against Myself, Lightning Rod, and Spare Me The Details. Spare Me The Details should've had a video. I could've easily come up with one.

Jack the Tripper
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
The music started to get bad after Smash. Americana is still the best though.

Skate Rat 19
04-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, while Hit That was huge, The Offspring didn't really appear anywhere, they just had Hit That and didn't put out any other videos. Look at Green Day, American Idiot is kick ass, Boulivard of Broken Dreams Sucks, but since American Idiot got them to the top posers listened to them and BOBD when gigantic, in fact Holiday barley got anytime at all. It's all because of their publicity. The Offspring hides from the media, they dont sell, ANYONE jumps into the media game, they go platinum. They're wasting a chance to be remembered as legends, like Sum 41, GD, and Linkin Park will.

Amanda
04-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah i think columbia played a great part in splinter's bad sale. I dunno, it was just poorly promoted. Offspring on the other hand cud have played a more active part, maybe showed up in a couple more places to promote the cd...I dunno bout in u.s.a, but here in Brazil the release of their album was hardly noticed.

0r4ng3
04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Offspring has only one more album left with Colombia Records? Does that mean that Greatest Hits is their last? If so, i think they should go back to Epitaph.

The reason Splinter didn't sell so well was because of it's singles. It should have been

1- Can't Get My Head Around You
2- Lightning Rod
3- Race Against Myself or Spare Me the Details
4- Hit That (if using Race Against Myself) or The Noose (if using Spare Me the Details)
________
Sell vaporizers (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

Punk_Conspiracy
04-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I reckon the Offspring's greatest hits will be moderately successful.

There's this one girl who is proving impossible to convent to the Offspring. She almost admitted to liking Gone Away, almost...

I live in hope.

Hyper nova
04-12-2005, 05:43 AM
If so, i think they should go back to Epitaph.

They'll NEVER Go back to Epitaph Because they left Epitaph for good reasons and not as everyone thinks, to be "sell-outs". Instead They left because Brett Gurewitz was trying to sell them out and they didnt want that. They were having to sign contracts that didnt allow them to do covers and the such. There was more but i cant remember. Brett Basically was trying to make Epitaph as big and successful as possible and was forgeting about the music. Thats Why they left and thats why they wont go back.

They have always said that they wanted to suport Indie Label but they couldnt at Epitaph and were forced to go to Columbia. If they move at all it will be back to a Indie label but not Epitaph.

Ill try and find the link to this infomation mmm here we go

http://members.aol.com/delirium4u/offspring/letter1.txt

Peruzzo
04-12-2005, 06:08 AM
yeah fair enough what happend but im still gunna stick with the fact that if there music was more like it used to be back at smash and ignition they would have done better, splinter wasnt to bad though. hit that shouldnt have been a single.

Dexter_H
04-12-2005, 06:29 AM
I believe if the offspring really wanted to sell ablums they should only release poppy songs like Hit That and Spare me the details. Hit that did get to about #15 on the ARIA charts (www.aria.com.au) here is AUS. However, with the release of CGMHAY you never heard it played on the radio or saw the clip on TV. But this is how I would rather it, selling less albums and not having everybodies mum as their fan. I'm not to sure if that article is true (http://members.aol.com/delirium4u/offspring/letter1.txt), beacuase why couldn't The Offspring just go on Nitro records? They didn't have to sign on a major.
Anyway, I really prefer the music released on Epitaph, and Most of the offspirngs singles (except singles off ixnay, KAA, Million Miles Away, CGMHAY) were all their worst songs, but their poppy songs, which is why they sold more records. Their biggest album (Americana) had 3 pretty poppy singles, CO1 had 2 and splinter had 1, and look at the trend in album sales..

Caijs
04-12-2005, 07:00 AM
yeah.
go to Nitro you schmos.
Or whatever uno. :D