PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I have to clear something up about Green Day. Please read.

GDfan
03-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all, English is not my first language but I will try my best to state my points as clear as I can, and I hope you all will forgive me for my poor grammar. Anyway, I know it’s quite pointless to talk about Green Day in The Offspring forum but today I searched for “American Idiot” in Google and some hits link me to this forum, and I found out that a lot of people here don’t seem to like Green Day very much with various reasons, and for some reasons I found they’re not really reasonable and make so much sense. I know that music is very subjective which’s based on people’s tastes, however when it comes to debating about music, I personally think it would be better if people do back up their arguments with good reasons. Besides, I found that some people here misunderstood some stories and facts about Green Day, so I will clear something up. Oh, if you want to delete this thread because it has nothing to do with The Offspring that’s fine with me as well, I just think as a Green Day fan for about 10 years I should write this to clear something up. If I offend anyone, I’m so sorry and please forgive me.

- Billie Joe has been wearing black shirt and red tie since 1994, it is his trademark if you don’t believe me you can check some video clips during Dookie era or Woodstock concert 1994 and for his hairstyle, he did spike hair during Insomniac era, I saw he did this hairstyle in video clip when Green Day performed the song “86” at a TV show during Insomniac era. I hope this facts can clear something up about his dressing style, and by the way he occasionally uses eye-liner for a long long time. The only difference is that they’ve been wearing this style very religiuosly nowadays but again, I can’t see how a style of dressing can affect their music, right?

- A lot of people still argue whether Green Day is punk or they aren’t. I’ve seen this debate for a very long time, after Green Day signed to a major label and after that, every records they have released, people will always argue over this topic. The very first time is during “Dookie” (1994) era, because they signed to a major label so the underground punks thought that they were not punk anymore since a punk band can’t be on a major label, and make a lot of money. The second time is when they released “Insomniac” (1995), Green Day tried to prove themselves that they were still punks like they used to be when they were with the Lookout record, they proved it by releasing the most aggresive, angriest, fastest, darkest record and ofcourse the most unsuccessful selling record in their career, by doing that they thought that they could prove the fact that they were punk but sadly no one gives a shit, they still said they weren’t punks anymore.

They said it was wrong for punks trying to prove something, punk is about being yourselves but Green Day tried to force themselves to be “punks”, to be accepted like once they used to be. After that Green Dat just let go everything they didn’t care about what other people said about them being punk or not, they just do want they want, playing the music that they like since they were 14. They released “Good Riddance” to say goodbye to their old friends at Gilman street club and their old fans that rejected them after they got big. After that, they are free, they play the music they like, they did ballads, mellow songs, they don’t strict about what music should be in order to be punk.

For some reasons, personally I think punk is not just about music, it’s a lifestyle, and about attitude. I used to judge some other bands that “they are not punks”, they are just poseurs, wannabes, etc, but now I think it was totally wrong. Sure we can have opinion, but is it the right thing to judge other people that we’ve never known them intimately before? How can we know that they are punk or they are not punk, do we know what are their attitudes? I don’t know, for me I just stop judging people about being punk or not, I just enjoy the music I like. I used to hate Simple Plan and Good Charlotte at one point but now I realize that it was totally useless doing so. Maybe they just enjoy doing their things, they just love playing a type of music they like, and they just want to be punks that’s all. (same as a debate over “sellouts” )

I didn’t try to convince anyone, please think for yourself.

I know it’s too long but I wrote this from what I feel and I hope you guys understand that because Green Day mean so much to me, their attitudes and what they stand for about 20 years is what I respect the most. I know, you guys might see it’s stupid but it’s true, at least give them some credits for playing the music they like. Billie Joe always wants to be a singer, he said that in an interview since he was five that “I want to sing for everyone” and that’s what they stood for, now they are 32, and they still playing music they love.

Thanks so much for reading

A Green Day fan

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
First of all, I didnt read a word of your post. Second of all, why is everyone posting GD shit!? This a Offspring forum. Not some fucking GD board. Im a GD fan myself, but posting stuff like this constantly about green day is just too much.

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh, and by the way, I guarantee this thread will get over 70 replies. I dont know why people post so much in these gay threads, but mark my words.

GDfan
03-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Yes I know I said It's quite pointless but I am trying because a lot of people here misunderstood some facts, so I try to point out what actually is a truth. The reason I didn't post at Green Day board because they don't seem to miss anything. So, I think that's why. It's okay if you don't read.

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 10:16 AM
One more thing. I just searched ''green day'' and 20 pages came up. That means the band was mentioned in 20 pages of threads. Now there is 22 different threads on each page. My math isnt too good. 22 X 20= 440. That means in 440 different thread, green day was brought up. Thats pretty sad on an Offspring forums.

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes I know I said It's quite pointless but I am trying because a lot of people here misunderstood some facts, so I try to point out what actually is a truth. The reason I didn't post at Green Day board because they don't seem to miss anything. So, I think that's why. It's okay if you don't read.

I just read a bit of it. And I understand why you posted it. I myself have all the Green Day albums, but im just irritated of Green Day fans coming over to screw the board. We had some people come here and say that the Offspring suck and Green Day rocks. That just pisses me off. And the fact remains that this is still and Offspring board. Not a GD one.

GDfan
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I think that happens because some Green Day fans got offened by some offspring fans' statement here. I just want this really to be the last thread, after I pointed out my statements I will just leave because I don't have anything to do with Offspring since the first place, but before that I want to make sure those people who said something like "Green Day suck ass because they are on TV" "Green Day are fucking poseurs" "Green Day are in it for money" "Green Day turn fucking commercial" "They are wearing eyeliner!" "They suck" "Billie Joe sucks" to read to message that's all. Thanks.

GDfan
03-15-2005, 11:09 AM
And by the way it seems a lot of people getting upset for the band changing their style and doing ballads lately, then claim they are "sellouts". But seriously, Green Day did few ballads since they were on Lookout record and that's about 15 years ago. So this Boulevard of Broken Dreams or any ballads recently are actaully not thing new. (see. "Word I Might Have Ate, etc.)

Noodles is gay
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi, I have to clear something up about Green Day. Please read.

Green Day suck ass, they're almost as bad as simple plan or nickleback!

Dude, that's not very nice - but i must say; I agree!

CommonRider
03-15-2005, 11:16 AM
I dont think they sold out anymore than they did during Dookie, and that wasnt very much, I love Green Day I just think AI is over rated and the band never changes their sound which is kinda lame, AI is very very similar to Nimrod. But anyways, American Idiot is better than Splinter, but both bands rock :), they should tour together not be rivals!

Ps. Green Day fans are being real asses right now since Green Day is bigger now, which is messed up b/c Offspring have been bigger since the past 8 years (since Nimrod and Americana) and Offspring fans didnt talk crap.

Noodles is gay
03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Dude, are Green Gay the Offspring?

No.

So why did you post this in the part of the board relating specifically and only to the Offspring?

Let me suggest:
Other Bands
Discuss any band.

idiot green day fan; you have merely proved my theory that you're all brainless imbeciles.

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I dont think they sold out anymore than they did during Dookie, and that wasnt very much, I love Green Day I just think AI is over rated and the band never changes their sound which is kinda lame, AI is very very similar to Nimrod. But anyways, American Idiot is better than Splinter, but both bands rock :), they should tour together not be rivals!

Ps. Green Day fans are being real asses right now since Green Day is bigger now, which is messed up b/c Offspring have been bigger since the past 8 years (since Nimrod and Americana) and Offspring fans didnt talk crap.

Nah, I think Splinter and AI are about the same, but AI gets alot older quicker than Splinter did. I listenend to AI for ever when it came out, but I havent listened to it for months. I still listen to Splinter on a regular basis.

CommonRider
03-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Splinter is probably more solid, just to me it seems like Green Day put more effort into American Idiot, the 9 minute songs are great, and Blvd of Broken Dreams, while over rated, is gonna be a classic. But I do like Hit That more than American Idiot. Hit That is underrated its such a great song IMO.

I don't know
03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
the first is too long, and I'm too lazy to know what this thread is about

smashitup-
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Splinter is probably more solid, just to me it seems like Green Day put more effort into American Idiot, the 9 minute songs are great, and Blvd of Broken Dreams, while over rated, is gonna be a classic. But I do like Hit That more than American Idiot. Hit That is underrated its such a great song IMO.

Definately. AI is much longer and GD put much more effort, but its still not as good as Splinter. And I love both really long songs on AI.

Jimbob2005
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
lets just pack this fukin shit in about greenday - talk about them on Greenday forums, not here!!! im sick to shit of it

dgnanashi
03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Um... *stabs self with toothpick*

billiejoe87_greenday
03-16-2005, 02:09 AM
This is a good thread cos the person put a lotta effort into teaching some of the dickheads in this forum the truth about green day! they have not sold out and are the best band ever. Offspring are good too but theres no comparison anymore, maybe a few years ago but after splinter case closed.

4eh
03-16-2005, 03:09 AM
i like Green Day but i like only their music, my opinion: they sell punk rock as they did it, they are doing it and i think they will do it

Hysteria
03-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all, English is not my first language but I will try my best to state my points as clear as I can, and I hope you all will forgive me for my poor grammar. Anyway, I know it’s quite pointless to talk about Green Day in The Offspring forum but today I searched for “American Idiot” in Google and some hits link me to this forum, and I found out that a lot of people here don’t seem to like Green Day very much with various reasons, and for some reasons I found they’re not really reasonable and make so much sense. I know that music is very subjective which’s based on people’s tastes, however when it comes to debating about music, I personally think it would be better if people do back up their arguments with good reasons. Besides, I found that some people here misunderstood some stories and facts about Green Day, so I will clear something up. Oh, if you want to delete this thread because it has nothing to do with The Offspring that’s fine with me as well, I just think as a Green Day fan for about 10 years I should write this to clear something up. If I offend anyone, I’m so sorry and please forgive me.

- Billie Joe has been wearing black shirt and red tie since 1994, it is his trademark if you don’t believe me you can check some video clips during Dookie era or Woodstock concert 1994 and for his hairstyle, he did spike hair during Insomniac era, I saw he did this hairstyle in video clip when Green Day performed the song “86” at a TV show during Insomniac era. I hope this facts can clear something up about his dressing style, and by the way he occasionally uses eye-liner for a long long time. The only difference is that they’ve been wearing this style very religiuosly nowadays but again, I can’t see how a style of dressing can affect their music, right?

- A lot of people still argue whether Green Day is punk or they aren’t. I’ve seen this debate for a very long time, after Green Day signed to a major label and after that, every records they have released, people will always argue over this topic. The very first time is during “Dookie” (1994) era, because they signed to a major label so the underground punks thought that they were not punk anymore since a punk band can’t be on a major label, and make a lot of money. The second time is when they released “Insomniac” (1995), Green Day tried to prove themselves that they were still punks like they used to be when they were with the Lookout record, they proved it by releasing the most aggresive, angriest, fastest, darkest record and ofcourse the most unsuccessful selling record in their career, by doing that they thought that they could prove the fact that they were punk but sadly no one gives a shit, they still said they weren’t punks anymore.

They said it was wrong for punks trying to prove something, punk is about being yourselves but Green Day tried to force themselves to be “punks”, to be accepted like once they used to be. After that Green Dat just let go everything they didn’t care about what other people said about them being punk or not, they just do want they want, playing the music that they like since they were 14. They released “Good Riddance” to say goodbye to their old friends at Gilman street club and their old fans that rejected them after they got big. After that, they are free, they play the music they like, they did ballads, mellow songs, they don’t strict about what music should be in order to be punk.

For some reasons, personally I think punk is not just about music, it’s a lifestyle, and about attitude. I used to judge some other bands that “they are not punks”, they are just poseurs, wannabes, etc, but now I think it was totally wrong. Sure we can have opinion, but is it the right thing to judge other people that we’ve never known them intimately before? How can we know that they are punk or they are not punk, do we know what are their attitudes? I don’t know, for me I just stop judging people about being punk or not, I just enjoy the music I like. I used to hate Simple Plan and Good Charlotte at one point but now I realize that it was totally useless doing so. Maybe they just enjoy doing their things, they just love playing a type of music they like, and they just want to be punks that’s all. (same as a debate over “sellouts” )

I didn’t try to convince anyone, please think for yourself.

I know it’s too long but I wrote this from what I feel and I hope you guys understand that because Green Day mean so much to me, their attitudes and what they stand for about 20 years is what I respect the most. I know, you guys might see it’s stupid but it’s true, at least give them some credits for playing the music they like. Billie Joe always wants to be a singer, he said that in an interview since he was five that “I want to sing for everyone” and that’s what they stood for, now they are 32, and they still playing music they love.

Thanks so much for reading

A Green Day fan

Shit man, you really must love Green Day if you wrote all that just for a few Offspring fans to see. Just chill man, everyone's entitled to their different opinions, if they get facts wrong, they get facts wrong, nobody's perfect.

As for signing up to this board just to post that, I can only laugh at you.

billie_joe_is_hot
03-16-2005, 07:08 AM
i like green day
y dus evry1 h8 em? :mad:

Tijs
03-16-2005, 07:15 AM
i like green day
y dus evry1 h8 em? :mad:
Because you type like that.

y dus evry1 h8 em?
Why does everyone hate them?

Takes a split second longer to type, but a minute less to read.

offspringintenselyrock
03-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Dude, are Green Gay the Offspring?

No.

So why did you post this in the part of the board relating specifically and only to the Offspring?

Let me suggest:
Other Bands
Discuss any band.

idiot green day fan; you have merely proved my theory that you're all brainless imbeciles.

GDfan did explain that, if you had bothered to read it.

offspringintenselyrock
03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't hate Greenday.

I'm one of the few people who bothered to read all this, and I think it's great.
So HA
Well done GDfan

Floyd the Barber
03-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I hope Green Day and Linkin Park team up for a tour, and while flying to a show their separate planes collide in mid-air over the venue and explode. And then the wreckage falls on Jet's tour bus, causing it to explode. I would like that very much.

live_fast_gurl
03-16-2005, 11:17 AM
fair enough but why come here to talk about gd shouldnt you go to the gd forum?!

Noodles is gay
03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
GDfan did explain that, if you had bothered to read it.

no, i did not 'bother' to waste my precious time reading all that.

nitropenguin!
03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
The Green Day fans are so fuckin' sensitive it saddens me. The band has been badmouthed a few times on this board, and they're so ready to shoot their thesis-esque bullshit right in our faces. I mean, really, how much spare time do they have?

dgnanashi
03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I hope Green Day and Linkin Park team up for a tour, and while flying to a show their separate planes collide in mid-air over the venue and explode. And then the wreckage falls on Jet's tour bus, causing it to explode. I would like that very much.

Burn in a living hell, foolish shitsucker.

Jimbob2005
03-16-2005, 01:27 PM
i got bored so i did actually read that
meanwhile, i am tired of saying wot i normally say, but greenday fans should fuk off and take thier crap sumwhere else

Floyd the Barber
03-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Burn in a living hell, foolish shitsucker.

Fuck you. Go listen to "Breaking The Habit" with your lover. I'm sure it will cheer you right up.

"Shitsucker"??? Wow...I was sure everyone on here was above 10 years of age, but I guess I was wrong.

sk8ter-hater
03-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I love war, let's go over to the GD forums and post stupid shit over there.
Shall we?

nitropenguin!
03-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Fuck yeah. It's better than doing it in an Offspring forum.

sk8ter-hater
03-16-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm quite glad you agree with me.

ruroken
03-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Fuck you. Go listen to "Breaking The Habit" with your lover. I'm sure it will cheer you right up.

"Shitsucker"??? Wow...I was sure everyone on here was above 10 years of age, but I guess I was wrong.

Hey, you should see the last page of "Rate the avatar and sig above you". What the fuck is that? C'mon, that guy's a fucking loser.

SkunkIt
03-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi....fan
Too long, didn't read....why are you here? Not everyone here doesn't like greenday, welcome to my block list! :D

ruroken
03-16-2005, 06:18 PM
The birth of immediate hate right before our eyes... *takes picture*

SkunkIt
03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
The birth of immediate hate right before our eyes... *takes picture*I've never seen you before, so welcome to the BBS! :D

ruroken
03-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Cool. Thanks (though I don't really know what BBS means...)

nitropenguin!
03-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Bulletin Board System.

sk8ter-hater
03-16-2005, 07:46 PM
You tell him.....you.

dirtybird
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
From now on when I post in Greenday threads it will be spam. Sorry.

ruroken
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Bulletin Board System.

Cool. I would expect Offspring forum to be said instead of that.

original_psycho
03-17-2005, 07:15 AM
@GDfan

Actually, I'm one of the few who read this. and I didn't read it out of boredum either. Meh... All I have to say is that I totally agree. I really love Green Day and I don't think they're sellouts at all. If they dress differently, so fucking what?! People change, they have the right to do so. If their music is broadcasted a lot on tv and radio, so fucking what?! Does that mean they suck?! No, they worked hard to get where they are now and they actually deserve all the popularity and fame. Is that wrong?! No! Why are always people saying that 'OMG, nobody likes them, I want them to be famous, to get their efforts recognized' and then that 'OMG, they're famous?! OMG, they suck! I hate them, they're sellouts'?! I hate those kind of people. Meh...

And for the rest of you: I like Green Day, OMG, I replied to this thread, OMG, I suck, hate me fuckers!

offspringintenselyrock
03-17-2005, 09:03 AM
@GDfan

Actually, I'm one of the few who read this. and I didn't read it out of boredum either. Meh... All I have to say is that I totally agree. I really love Green Day and I don't think they're sellouts at all. If they dress differently, so fucking what?! People change, they have the right to do so. If their music is broadcasted a lot on tv and radio, so fucking what?! Does that mean they suck?! No, they worked hard to get where they are now and they actually deserve all the popularity and fame. Is that wrong?! No! Why are always people saying that 'OMG, nobody likes them, I want them to be famous, to get their efforts recognized' and then that 'OMG, they're famous?! OMG, they suck! I hate them, they're sellouts'?! I hate those kind of people. Meh...

And for the rest of you: I like Green Day, OMG, I replied to this thread, OMG, I suck, hate me fuckers!
Yeah- what he said! That is a great reply. I don't know what else to say

*sits looking gormless*

original_psycho
03-17-2005, 10:00 AM
First of all, I'm a she.
Second of all, was that sarcasm?

sk8ter-hater
03-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah- what he said! That is a great reply. I don't know what else to say

*sits looking gormless*

It's actually a she, and don't hate her.

original_psycho
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
It's actually a she, and don't hate her.
I completely disagree.
Hate me! Please... *puppy eyes*

Naz
03-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I Love Green Day. <3

Billy Joe(Thomas)
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
some of their songs are punk but some like good riddance theres nowhere on earth it would be. so im a fan of the band, but if they play punk staff and also pop songs, they can't be punk,... unfortunately

killboypwrheadjx
03-17-2005, 03:03 PM
you have presented a very well-thought out and organized argument....but green day still sucks my nuts.

ruroken
03-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I got ants in my invisible avatar pants. :D

Jack the Tripper
03-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I read most of that, but I got tired of reading it eventually; but from what I did read, you're right.

Skate Rat 19
03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
All I have to say about Green Day is that their old stuff rules(not over all) and American Idiot has much more credit than it deserves. The song was a true, not at all original, solid song. But whats with Boulivard of Broken Dreams, yes its okay but its not grammy winning material, and what happened? They are the most popular rock band of today and only because people somehow love that shitty excuse for a melody. They're hogging the spotlight without bragging rights.

dirtybird
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Spaaaaaaam.

GDfan
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
All I have to say about Green Day is that their old stuff rules(not over all) and American Idiot has much more credit than it deserves. The song was a true, not at all original, solid song. But whats with Boulivard of Broken Dreams, yes its okay but its not grammy winning material, and what happened? They are the most popular rock band of today and only because people somehow love that shitty excuse for a melody. They're hogging the spotlight without bragging rights.

It depends on what you think about the album “American Idiot”. If you really love it, you will think it’s fair for a band to gain all the respect they deserve, but if you don’t, you will think it’s overrated. I’m not taking any sides but I have to inform you that “American Idiot”, the album itself has to be looked and analyzed as a whole not a single song. It’s a story about making a statement on American culture and its values. I don’t think much of 16 year old kids will understand the whole messages behind the album or appreciate it as a piece of art. The album is too difficult for average teenagers to understand, there are so much more on the album such as main themes, minor themes, metaphores, etc., and that’s why this album is getting so much respect and praise from music critics and adults.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is just another good pop Green Day song that has beautiful molody, and lyrics that a lot of people can relate to in which has reached a wider fanbase, sure it’s one of factors that made Green Day popular again, but it’s not what made Green Day deserve all the praise right now. It’d rather be the whole album itself, their live acts, and their ambitious/ hard-working as hell.

GDfan
03-17-2005, 07:28 PM
you have presented a very well-thought out and organized argument....but green day still sucks my nuts.

Thanks for the first part, as for the second part it's your opinion.

GDfan
03-17-2005, 07:39 PM
some of their songs are punk but some like good riddance theres nowhere on earth it would be. so im a fan of the band, but if they play punk staff and also pop songs, they can't be punk,... unfortunately

As I said, it depends on what you think what punk is, if you think it's just a genre of music that plays 3 chord-guitar riffs with fast/ loud/ edgy lyrics. Then it's a true of your opinion to say Green Day is not punk. I agree.

Anyway, I think the debate is over now I've stated my points clearly and some people agree with me, I'm glad. Now, I'll just leave.

Have a great day the Offspring fans, their latest album is good and I'm glad they are still around even though I'm not a fan of this band.

Unnatural Disaster
03-17-2005, 09:06 PM
I like Green day, and I have nothing against them, I just like The Offspring a lot better

Moose
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
are you fucking serious? no one fucking cares...people on here like green day, they are just busy making fun of morons like you...what a waste of time it must have been writing that entire post...i have every green day cd, but im not going to fucking salute them for you...insomniac sucked and thats why it didnt sell...it was an album that came out to fast and was forced...nimrod is good and is right up there with dookie and i probably like them both over american idiot which is also a good cd...but seriously, green day are good, but were always overrated, and i like them, and im saying that, so who gives a damn. you gotta get over the whole green day/offspring thing, especially since you will be finding out shortly that 13 year olds claim to be green day fans, but think that american idiot is their only cd...and that will make you much more angry than a couple of offspring fans not giving green day their due.

Jimbob2005
03-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I like Green day, and I have nothing against them, I just like The Offspring a lot better
i agree!!!!

Jimbob2005
03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
are you fucking serious? no one fucking cares...people on here like green day, they are just busy making fun of morons like you...what a waste of time it must have been writing that entire post...i have every green day cd, but im not going to fucking salute them for you...insomniac sucked and thats why it didnt sell...it was an album that came out to fast and was forced...nimrod is good and is right up there with dookie and i probably like them both over american idiot which is also a good cd...but seriously, green day are good, but were always overrated, and i like them, and im saying that, so who gives a damn. you gotta get over the whole green day/offspring thing, especially since you will be finding out shortly that 13 year olds claim to be green day fans, but think that american idiot is their only cd...and that will make you much more angry than a couple of offspring fans not giving green day their due.
..............and you too!!!