PDA

View Full Version : Everything you ever know is wrong #347

Mota Boy
03-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Traditionally, people have worried about the threat of overpopulation. But, much like how the fear of global cooling in the sixties gave way to the threat of global warming today, increasingly, political scientists and sociologists are worrying about the implications of depopulation.

Yes, depopulation has increasingly become a global phenomenon. Once focused on developed countries, depopulation is spreading. Since 1972, the global birthrate has been halved. In 1970, a typical woman in the developing world bore six children. Today that number has dropped to 2.7. In 2002, birthrates fell below replacement levels in 20 developing countries. 2002 also witnessed the first time the United Nations began projecting global population as dropping rather than rising.

What does this mean? For many countries, it begs the question of how will society support itself. By 2050, 42 percent of Italy and Japan will be over the age of 59, such an age gap is unprecedented. Economies are expected to contract as the pool of potential consumers shrinks. This is suspected to be behind Japan's recent depression and perhaps even Germany's economic malaise.

What's the cause of this? Increasingly, women are going to school and joining the workforce and many don't have time for families. Also, by the time more educated women are ready to start having children, their best child-bearing years are often behind them. Also, children have become more of an economic liability than a boon. We have nursing homes to take care of you in your old age, and the cost of raising a child is enormous. Several governments have created programs to increase population, but none have been successful.

It's possible that this could result in increasing conservatism, as more religious, conservative individuals tend to have larger families

OK, time for me to rush out into the weekend, you bastards will have to research/talk about this on your own. Enjoy.

Skate Rat 19
03-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I've heard of this before, there was a theroy that depopulation would eventually result in the destruction of society and thats how the world(for humans) will end. But theres a lot of people with no lives thinking of how the end will come. But AIDS will son hold the title for the biggest killer in world history. Unless an asteroid the size of Texas come and Bruce Willis tries to stop it.

the_GoDdEsS
03-19-2005, 03:41 AM
As long as there are gypsies depopulation is not likely to happen. They seem to procreate at the speed of light.

Twenty or thirty years back families here would have 4 children. Not it's dropped to pretty much 2. And if you have 6 now, people will look at you as if you were handicapped.

Unnatural Disaster
03-19-2005, 06:12 AM
The population is mostly increased by the underdeveleoped countries, not the developed countries. Countries in Africa and the Middle East have extremely high birth rates... Your entire post was about the developed countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, Countries in Europe...etc. The countries that have high birth rates are China, India, pretty much anywhere in Africa.

India and China have populations around 1 Billion.....and still growing. by 2050 India will have a higher population than China. And by 2150 I've heard that scientist predict that India's population will be around 4 billion, which was the WORLD population in 1985.

NOAMR
03-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Hm, I don't think the problem is that big. Are industry and so on is still killing ourselfs and the nature, and that's cause we're with too much and we want too much welfare. Okay, if we depopulate too fast, we get a problem of too much olds who can't work anymore, but I also think it's overrated. The problem is medical fanatism, people wonna live as long as possible, even if their body is exally too weak for it, and they exally become more robots. Another problem is just the ecomical injustment, the economicals are always complaining and so on, but they still live in too much welfare. If we would just give up a little welfare(which we often don't even need, but the economy need consumption), a lot off problems would allready be out off the world.

RXP
03-19-2005, 09:46 AM
wtf Global dimming/global warming is still a big concern dimming hasn't given way to anything.

Betty
03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I imagine that when it becomes a serious threat (now they deal with it by immigration) people will just start having more kids. There will be more incentives, etc. It's definitely something that humans can easily control unlike environmental issues which can be much more difficult. So I guess I don't see it as a serious problem.