PDA

View Full Version : These things I believe Part 2 (THE REVENGE!!!)

JohnnyNemesis
03-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Here we go again:

-Italian girls must be the most beautiful human beings on the planet. Or maybe it's just a weird streak I have going where every single Italian girl I've met has not only been attractive, but drop dead GORGEOUS. And I've met a fuckload of Italians in my life, so I don't think it's a coincidence. But hot dang, it's almost eerie how so many of them are so incredibly good looking.

-What is it with people who think of "You are pretty/gorgeous/blah blah blah etc." as the ultimate compliment, especially when your physical beauty has little do with YOUR actions? Plus, you can be hot as hell and be a complete moron. I bring this up because it's always funny to see people get weirded out and jump to conclusions when someone compliments their appearance, as if recognizing one's beauty immediately leads to asking one out or something. In short, get over yourselves, world.

-Reuben sandwiches are fucking disgusting.

-I miss wheelchairman.

-Five Deadly Venoms (also known as Five Venoms or Pick Your Poison) is an amazing kung fu flick, and easily my favorite.

-Eating at a foreign restaurant is fun because it's cool to try new foods and it's always an interesting experience. But you are not an ethnically tolerant and caring person because you bought a plate of sushi, you yuppie asshole fuck. (general statement)

nitropenguin!
03-18-2005, 06:45 PM
-I can only imagine how excited you got while writing that.

-I agree.

-Never tried it... probably never will as I'm SURE it's loaded with meat. Eh?

-I somewhat miss his presense. Side note, he'll never notice that, for I am on his ignore list.

-I actually never ever watch kung fu flicks. I shall look that one up... someday.

-Positively.

arak0r
03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
if you like martial arts stuff, check out the once upon a time in china series. jet li at his best

and yes, italian girls are quite lovely for the most part. maybe its my quarter italian there, but its true. prolly because in the ancient days roman conquerers would bed the hottest wenches they capture and all that ;) (slightly kidding, but also partly true)

Tijs
03-18-2005, 06:53 PM
- When I was in Italy, I hardly saw any pretty girls.. they all moved to New York apperently.

- Don't feel like commenting.

- Now you've mentioned it, where is he?

Endymion
03-18-2005, 06:55 PM
- Now you've mentioned it, where is he?

he, like pauly shore, is in the army now.

Tijs
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Ah right.. too bad.

Forum intelligence status: Down with 50%

JohnnyNemesis
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion arak0r, I'll check it out.

And yeah penguin, Reuben sandwiches are usually made with tons of corned beef, which is disgusting. And I'm a big meat eater, but yuck.

UgLy_eLf
03-18-2005, 08:13 PM
^ He's right.

dirtybird
03-18-2005, 10:01 PM
These almost match up to Mota Boy's thought of the day threads, keep it up!

Sunny
03-18-2005, 10:10 PM
- hmm. that's kinda how i feel about half asian half caucasian "mutts". most beautiful women ever.

- word.

- never had one. however, just the thought of corned beef makes me want to barf, so i can only imagine how revolting they are.

- where did he go?

- never seen it. hmph.

- yes, yes, and yes.

SkunkIt
03-18-2005, 10:15 PM
-Italian girls must be the most beautiful human beings on the planet. Or maybe it's just a weird streak I have going where every single Italian girl I've met has not only been attractive, but drop dead GORGEOUS. And I've met a fuckload of Italians in my life, so I don't think it's a coincidence. But hot dang, it's almost eerie how so many of them are so incredibly good looking.

The exception (in my opinion).
http://img181.exs.cx/img181/1200/tttthhhhheeeeeeeeeeee1ic.png

-What is it with people who think of "You are pretty/gorgeous/blah blah blah etc." as the ultimate compliment, especially when your physical beauty has little do with YOUR actions? Plus, you can be hot as hell and be a complete moron. I bring this up because it's always funny to see people get weirded out and jump to conclusions when someone compliments their appearance, as if recognizing one's beauty immediately leads to asking one out or something. In short, get over yourselves, world.

True!

True!

-I miss wheelchairman.

What happened to him?

-Eating at a foreign restaurant is fun because it's cool to try new foods and it's always an interesting experience. But you are not an ethnically tolerant and caring person because you bought a plate of sushi, you yuppie asshole fuck. (general statement)

I agree!

JohnnyNemesis
03-18-2005, 10:48 PM
She may be an exception because she's not gorgeous, but she's a cutie, SkunkIt.

And Sunny, good call on half asian/half caucasians there.

Obie2trice
03-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Ever seen girls from Denmark, damn those girls are so hot :p

the_GoDdEsS
03-19-2005, 12:08 AM
- Last time I've been to Italy was when I was 15 so I don't really remember the girls. All I know is I was not feeling that pretty but got hit on on every corner. Go be blonde in Italy!

- It's definitely not the ultimate compliment for me. What really amazes me are compliments of the "Wow, I totally admire your work" kind.

- I don't know those sandwiches.

- I second that. I demand he comes back real soon!

- Don't know that one either.

- Foreign restaurants are the shit!

Obie2trice
03-19-2005, 01:56 AM
poor you, you can do it right now

Obie2trice
03-19-2005, 02:16 AM
nice vision on your life

Obie2trice
03-19-2005, 03:13 AM
whatever, I`m closing my door for people talking shit like you

Vera
03-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Nothing about personal hygiene. I'm disappointed in you, Johnny.

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Nothing about personal hygiene. I'm disappointed in you, Johnny.

Personal hygiene = Ratings, it would appear. But I had to switch it up a bit, I guess.

And Duskygrin, just for the record, are you serious about the importance of beauty?

sumrandumpunk
03-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Is is the ultimate compliment. Physical beauty is the only thing that matters, ever.

I'm sorry but I think thats completely wrong... I dont see why you people think that physical beauty is the only reason to stay alive or whatever the fuck you say. I see that people are much shallower then I ever thought imaginable. I can say I'll sure as hell never go where any of you live. I think you people are mentally sick... but, heh, thats my opinion. I guess it's cuz I'm not one of the guys thats too busy thinking about sex to care about anything other then beauty in women. I think that it's probly that I think more into things then most of you self-gratifying bastards. Excuse my French you sick fuckers.

sumrandumpunk
03-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Let me add this: life is for having fun. There is more then one way to have fun. Having people stare at you because you look good is one way for some people. Having sex is fun for some people. Both of those wear out with age. There is more to do...I guess you don't see that.

Faust
03-19-2005, 09:25 AM
-Italian girls must be the most beautiful human beings on the planet.
they have the tendency of being naturally beautiful without any special make-up etc. but there are other good examples too.. French ladies are usually cute, Slovaks pretty and dagos hot.

-What is it with people who think of "You are pretty/gorgeous/blah blah blah etc." as the ultimate compliment, especially when your physical beauty has little do with YOUR actions?
the looks is very important these days. To me its important only when choosing partner.

-Eating at a foreign restaurant is fun
yep..
Chinese restaurants are my fav.

dirtybird
03-19-2005, 09:30 AM
But what is life? It's just a breeze that drifts you till you alight on a shore illuminated by the setting sun. And I'll set like the sun.

Maria

...Just say what you're trying to say. I could have said that in HALF as many words as you did.

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I understand what you mean, Duskygrin, and yeah, that's just your choice, so I won't knock you for it. But doesn't it feel empty to have such little control over something so important to you? I mean, there's little you did to make yourself attractive in the first place, and on top of that, it's a subjective term. For example, I think you're pretty. Sure as hell not beautiful or anything, no offense. But I'm sure plenty of people do think you're beautiful, while some others think you're ugly as all fuck.

Of course, there are going to be different opinions on no matter what it is you find important, but there's more control over those other things. I just wouldn't feel comfortable valuing something I had almost NO control over whatsoever.

Vera
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Duskygrin, I think that hopefully, once your beauty fades you've sprouted a braincell or two and might actually understand that beauty comes from the inside and that beauty = happiness, it's the other way around. And also that no one who loves you loves you for your looks only.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Of course there is more to life than beauty. Only who cares? Not I. I throw a tantrum when I have a pimple. Did Poe fall in love with ugly hags?

Maria

I totally disagree with that. Intelligence is what really matters and i, personally, would pick an intelligent guy (eg. my classics teacher :p) over a gorgeous one any day.

Personality matters too, i guess.

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2005, 10:34 AM
French people are usually considered really really pretentious here in America. It's a horrible stereotype.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Beauty is the one and only notion I still relate to... Beethoven is handsome to me because I like his sonatas... the same goes for Poe who, as far as I know, wrote whole novellas on the subject of beauty... just read Ligeia then you'll understand... I won't mention the fact that he declined to reveal his true age... he always stopped at a nice number... if that isn't shallowness, I don't know what is! And yet... was there ever a man more profound than he? A man whose notions of heaven were more radiant than I would ever dare fantasize in my wildest hallucinations. A man who dreamt his very life away...

Maria

Hummmm....well that's your opinion i guess.

"No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly." – Wilde

i strongly object people being praised for their beauty (celebrities and actors), that's one of the biggest ills of society, that and materialism. :mad: People should be acknowledged for their intelligence and their actual contibution to society, like the Greeks did.

"Being intelligent is not a felony, but most societies evaluate it as at least a misdemeanour." – Lazarus Long

Vera
03-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Hahahahha.

Seriously though, I don't get what you're arguing. The people you mentioned aren't beautiful. They weren't physically attractive. They were *good* at what they did, though. They were artists.

They might've *created* beauty, but were they beauty? No, not in my opinion. So your ultimate goal is to be beauty? And when your beauty fades, you'll just top yourself?

Also, I just googled Poe's picture and I think the reason he didn't shag wrinkly old hags is because the wrinkly old hags didn't want him.

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Is it our fault if we're naturally classy?

Well, the other common stereotype attached to the French here in America is that you guys smell absolutely horrible because you don't use deodorant. So I dunno if classiness has anything to do with it.

I don't believe any of those things anyway. My point is that comments like what I quoted in this post are the kinds of things that feed into these stereotypes.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Also, I just googled Poe's picture and I think the reason he didn't shag wrinkly old hags is because the wrinkly old hags didn't want him.

He's not THAT bad, i mean for the time in which he lived:

http://files.db3nf.com/pictures/authors/poe.jpg

although if you want beauty, a sense of humour and intelligence:

http://www.crescentcitychronicles.net/REVIEWS/PLAYS/GROSS_INDECENCY/Oscar_Wilde.jpg

Vera
03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Er, Wilde was gay because he was. Nothing to do with his looks.

Poe, well, honestly, would you fuck a guy who looks like that if you didn't know he was an awesome poet? Yeah, didn't think so.

Duskygrin, please stop talking like that. If I didn't know you were French, I'd say you were on drugs.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, why was Oscar a dandy? Why did he fall in love with "Bosie", aka Lord Alfred Douglas? I willingly grant you theirs was a love-hate relationship...

It doesn't matter that Oscar Wilde was a 'dandy', anyway that's regardless and in fact merely backs up my earlier point that if society was more like ancient Greece it would be better; "People should be acknowledged for their intelligence and their actual contibution to society, like the Greeks did." They were 'dandy' :p

but we cannot help wonder why so many writers contributed to composing a paean to pulchritudinousness... from Dostoievsky and the Idiot (I fell in love with prince Muichkine) to Oscar & Dorian Gray... All the characters that ever appealed to me... Rastignac, Long John Silver, Heathcliff... could be defined as handsome... of course it's subjective... & relative. But it has nothing whatsoever with celebrities... so many pretty ladies don't get to be great actresses because they weren't as 'marketable' as Julia Roberts, for instance.

In Dorian Grey i actually prefered Lord Henry Wotton; he was so much more interesting and intelligent again.

Julia Roberts is a good exception but most actresses are only there because of their screen appeal and not their actual acting ability, there are probably much better actresses who never make it because they're not 'marketable'. I think that's wrong, if films are supposedly depicting life, they should have all manner of people in them - just people who can act.

But still: Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.
Oscar Wilde (said ev'rything)

Maria *she walks in beauty like the night...*

I can't believe you posted that quote! I was going to in my other post but thought it would contradict me :o In fact i did post it but then edited it for another one!

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
And your own comments spring from envy. Do I look like I don't wash? You know where you can shove your clichés.

Fuck that. I clearly stated that I do NOT believe in those clichés, and that they're bullshit. That doesn't change that there are very common misconceptions about the French that dumber people DO believe. And the reason is because one or two people make a whole country look bad to people who aren't smart enough to realize what a stupid conclusion that is to make based on such a small amount of people. A country that is filled with as many wonderful people as anyplace else. So, in conclusion, envy has nothing to do with anything, so nice try. And read carefully next time.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Poe, well, honestly, would you fuck a guy who looks like that if you didn't know he was an awesome poet? Yeah, didn't think so.

Well; for his time he's not THAT bad!

Vera
03-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Actually, he kind of is. I believe there were prettier people than that in the 1800's.

Also, about the Greek society; It wasn't so much that they were tolerant, it was just that women were lesser as humans, so loving a man was considered higher type of love than loving a woman. Especially in Athens, women were pretty much tied to their stoves. It wasn't a very equal society in that sense. The Greeks didn't think women were capable of the sort of intellect men possessed. In short, you couldn't have gone to Plato's academy.

Vera
03-19-2005, 11:08 AM
No, I don't think the French are weird. I think you can be a bit weird, but not always, of course not. I don't particularly dislike you, either.

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Actually, he kind of is. I believe there were prettier people than that in the 1800's.

Yes, Oscar Wilde. ;)

Also, about the Greek society; It wasn't so much that they were tolerant, it was just that women were lesser as humans, so loving a man was considered higher type of love than loving a woman. Especially in Athens, women were pretty much tied to their stoves. It wasn't a very equal society in that sense. The Greeks didn't think women were capable of the sort of intellect men possessed. In short, you couldn't have gone to Plato's academy.

There were kinda tolerant; i mean poets wrote love poetry to other guys and this didn't really bother people, unlike people in England in the 1800's.

*sob*

I know, you didn't have to remind me. :( But i can dream of conversing with Socrates and Plato!

Anyway, i'd prove their ideas about women wrong...

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar

Lol there's still hope for you my dear!
Well, is Julia a good actress? She's got the hugest paycheck, at least... that makes up for ev'rything else...

Yes she is, which is why she has the huge paycheck. But the problem is that she must work twice as hard as her contemporaries because she's not as pretty, despite the fact that she is more talented.

What was the name of the young Greek, the dazzling, stunnig kouros who fell in love with Socrates in The Symposium? And got rejected like a sock? *winks & licks her lips*

Maria

damn...i can't remember. :(

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I got it! It's Alcibiades!!!

Maria

ah well done - you saved me from getting out my copy of the Symposium and actually looking it up (being the loser i am :o)

2 can play the avatar game...shall i put Wilde? Hummm, he's a much better writer...

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
:rolleyes: I must say that, against my usual prejudice, that is very good.

Especially:

She came and departed like a shadow. I was never made aware of her entrance into my closed study save by the dear music of her low sweet voice, as she placed her delicate hand upon my shoulder. In beauty of face no maiden ever equalled her. It was the radiance of an opium dream — an airy and spirit-lifting vision more wildly divine than the phantasies which hovered about the slumbering souls of the daughters of Delos.

Betty
03-19-2005, 02:17 PM
A bunch of actresses aren't gorgeous... or have weird beauty... like Drew Barrymore maybe.

Do you know what's even worse than praising celebrities for their looks? Caring about them at all beyond their acting careers. I totally DON'T CARE AT ALL about that stuff and I am at such a loss as soon as it comes to the pop culture since I barely even know people's NAMES. Oh well, I guess I only miss out on the ability to socialize.

About the italian girls being hot thing... I'm not so sure. I've seen a lot of italians because the city where I grew up is like, italian immigration central so there were a lot of italians that settled there earlier and so there are now a lot of italian/canadian families. I will admit that some of the girls were gorgeous. But a lot were also just regular, or funny looking even (pronounced features).

Noodles is gay
03-19-2005, 02:27 PM
A bunch of actresses aren't gorgeous... or have weird beauty... like Drew Barrymore maybe.

Do you know what's even worse than praising celebrities for their looks? Caring about them at all beyond their acting careers. I totally DON'T CARE AT ALL about that stuff and I am at such a loss as soon as it comes to the pop culture since I barely even know people's NAMES. Oh well, I guess I only miss out on the ability to socialize.

Well said - i thought i was the only person who didn't know celebrities' names or cared about what they do in their spare time.

"like, OMG, look what Jennifer Love-Hewit (sp? person?) is wearing, ewwwww!"

punkangel
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Here we go again:

-I miss wheelchairman.

-Five Deadly Venoms (also known as Five Venoms or Pick Your Poison) is an amazing kung fu flick, and easily my favorite.

that's funny how I'm Itailian.......hehe

nitropenguin!
03-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, that's purely laughable.

Nina
03-20-2005, 12:26 PM
* Italian girls being beautiful
i highly disagree...i can sometimes understand why a lot of people would find them pretty, but they arent my type AT ALL.

* "you are gorgeous" as the ultimate compliment
its easy to say things like that...but at the end, most people care a LOT for their looks (which i find very natural) and therefore generally have a better image of themselves if other people tell them they are pretty.
its a matter of self esteem how to take this compliment... and to me personally it also matters WHO says it.
i dunno....i guess i can just understand why people would rate this as a huge compliment, if not THE compliment. if its all you think of for months or years because you find yourself not very attractive, its understandable.

=)

Betty
03-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I can agree Nina. The thing is that physical looks, while not necessarily being that IMPORTANT, can do a lot for someone's self esteem. And it's also something subjective, as has been said, and so people don't KNOW what people think of them. Like, unless you're absolutely undeniably gorgeous you probably have no idea if people think you look nice so it's quite a compliment to hear that they do.

Whereas other personality traits you probably have a better idea of what people think of you. Like, if you're a funny person, you probably know that. If you're really smart, you probably know that too. So it's not necessarily the hugest compliment if you just think "yeah, I know".

Some of the most highest ranking compliments for me include "unique" (like, ACTUALLY unique, not just unique as in "everybody is special and unique!!!") or "interesting".... as well as "pretty". It also mattered who they came from. Like, my grandma or my aunt telling me "My how you've grown! And more beautiful than ever!" that doesn't mean as much... ha...

Betty
03-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Very nice.

wheelchairman
03-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Ironically, French girls aren't nearly as attractive. At least not in Vichy. Greeks were rather attractive, which surprised me cause I am not a man who likes Greeks.

I find that the definition of beauty is almost completely subject to a person's opinion of the person's character. Whether beauty defines the character, or character defines the beauty, I don't know.

Agreed

-I miss wheelchairman.
He's back.

Can't say I know.

I've been eating at a Lebanese restaurant for the past week or so. I've tried all kinds of lebanese foods from Shish taouk, some sort of pie, baclava, arak (much like ouzo, to my disappointment), Lebanesan tea (omg good), and of course the sheesha, omg enjoyment. The people there rocked so much that they gave me two books on marxism as gifts.

rock4life09
03-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Hmmmmm.....

wheelchairman
03-22-2005, 11:06 AM
So I learn that you find French girls unattractive & Greek cheeks lovely. What the hell I'm both Greek & French.

Maria
Nah I find Greek girls attractive. All the french girls, at least in Vichy, weren't particularly attractive. I just find the way Greeks carry grudges over Turkey and Macedonia to be rather annoying.

rock4life09
03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Nah I find Greek girls attractive. All the french girls, at least in Vichy, weren't particularly attractive. I just find the way Greeks carry grudges over Turkey and Macedonia to be rather annoying.

Duskygrin was saying that she was BOTH french and greek.

wheelchairman
03-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Ah well glad to hear it. At least about the Macedonians. Some of your co-patriates are different though.

wheelchairman
03-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Yep I know... We don't like Albanese either... in fact, we don't like many ppl... gotta go talk to you later take care!

Maria
oh yeah I'm aware of that, I'm part of a former-Hoxhaite party you know. bonsoiré et au revoir.

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
My first point always sparks the most discussion; same thing happened in the other thread. Is that because it just leads to conversation, or just because it's the first point?

Betty
03-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm not saying I buy into it so quit sarcasm.

Maria

Didn't see that earlier... but I was being serious, not sarcastic.

wheelchairman
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Well the party dropped the Hoxhaite line in the early 90's. And I must admit, my written French isn't up to par with my oral french.