PDA

View Full Version : William S. Burroughs.

Vera
03-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I just finished reading "Queer". Recommend me some other fantastic books by him. Please.

Thanks.

Not Ozymandias
03-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Junky. Then Naked Lunch.

shatskater
03-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Queers.....hmmm how about Lesbians?

Trip Boy
03-19-2005, 11:00 PM
"Fags - smoke em both ways" another classic.

Ellie
03-20-2005, 06:36 AM
I definitely recommend Junky, too.

And if you read Naked Lunch as well and like it, particularly the structure of the book, you might want to try Exterminator, since this also has a very fragmented structure. It's not a coherent story, but more like a collection of scenes, some of which are pretty funny, like the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago.

The Wild Boys: A Book of the Dead is also good. It's a futuristic tale about a gang of guerrila boys that battles organized armies of repressive police states. The only thing is there's a lot of sex in the book, particularly homosexual sex. That by itself didn't bother me at all, but sometimes it detracts from the story and just seems gratuitous.

And if you have a cat or like them, The Cat Inside is also interesting and shows Burroughs' "softer" side. It focuses on the mysterious relationship between cats and their humans, and is devoted to his own cats and the many he has known. It's quite funny, and also quite moving.

Vera
03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks, Ellie & Ozy. Particularly you, Ellie. Haven't seen you much on this board. Always nice to see literate people here! Hehe.

I think "Queer" was meant to be "Junky"'s sequel. It has the same main character, William Lee. I really liked his character, so I'm definitely reading "Junky", if only for that.

"Wild Boys" sounds interesting!

I think "Junky" and "Naked Lunch" have both been translated to Finnish. I don't really mind reading in English, but I feel like Burroughs' English might be a bit demanding and I hate using dictionaries while reading. So I hope more Burroughs will be translated to Finnish in the near future.

RXP
03-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Reading's for losers

Vera
03-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Honestly, RXP, we all know why you turned out the way you did, there's no reason for you to point it out.

Ellie
03-20-2005, 02:29 PM
You're most welcome, Vera. I've mostly just been lurking because there hasn't been much I've felt compelled to respond to, until I saw this. So thank you for creating a literate thread.

An ex-boyfriend turned me on to Burroughs, which is about the only good thing that came out of that fiasco. Ha. There are still a lot of books of his I haven't read yet, though, including Queer. I didn't know William Lee is also the main character of that one, but that makes sense, since both books are a bit autobiographical. I'll definitely check it out.

"Wild Boys" sounds interesting!

It's because of all the graphic sex, isn't it? Heh. This isn't a favorite Burroughs' book of some people I know, but I like it. While the main story line is the war between the military and the "Wild Boys," there are other plots and such, too, and it's like a bunch of short stories interwoven. Some of it is written in conventional narrative, while some is in his surrealist "cut up" technique, like in Naked Lunch, and some other experimental techniques.

I hope more of his books are translated to Finnish, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Reading's for losers

Bitch, please.

SicN Twisted
03-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Borroughs's English is very simpe - it's consice, beatnik style, I'm sure you'd have no problem with Junky and Naked Lunch in English. The character you like in Junkie and Queer, by the way, is the author himself, these books are autobiographical.

Ellie
03-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Actually, I agree with SicN T regarding the English translations, and you seem quite bright, so I don't think you'll really have any trouble. : )

Vera
03-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Wild Boys & Naked Lunch have both been translated to Finnish, whoo. I'll probably go find them in the library tomorrow. Nothing wrong with reading it in its original language, but I like to read translated & Finnish literature so I can get a variety of writing styles and be influenced by them and hope it would help me figure out my own writing style.

Graitutous gay sex will always make me read a book, I admit, but actually it was the "futuristic tale"-part that really pulled me in. I've been picking up old sci-fi classics and studied utopias and such lately, as I had to create my own utopia for a school class and I'm hugely interested in all those kind of things right now.

I must admit there was one thing that bothered me a bit about Queer. The random Spanish words thrown in from time to time. I could get what most of them meant from the context, but some just stayed vague as I don't know the language. It's a different thing over there in the States, where Spanish is almost the unofficial second language, but over here in cold Nordic countries, hardly anyone speaks Spanish.

But yeah, more books. Yay!