PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge or Oxford.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 02:11 PM
So which one?

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Holy crap, be more specific. Universities? Towns? Rowing teams?

Though I suppose it doesn't matter, because for all 3 I couldn't care less.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
ok, specific; the universities.

(mainly the classics departments, but seeing as people here won't know we'll just leave it as the universities)

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Shut up about classics. Please.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 02:22 PM
that's why i didn't mention it!!! :mad:

I just wanna know which university people think is better, in their opinion!

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 02:23 PM
No need to get all pissed off about it.

ihatechrissneed
03-20-2005, 02:47 PM
you cant really say which is better, theyll both get you far in life

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Especially the rowing team. That'll get you miles.

:o

Endymion
03-20-2005, 03:01 PM
quick question... and this is pure curiosity, what good is majoring in the classics? my friend loren is doing it too, but she wasn't able to explain the value to me... so can you?

Naz
03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Same here. my old school friend is studying classics. I asked her what shes wants to do after Uni, and she just shrugged and said she didnt know.

Endymion
03-20-2005, 03:11 PM
well, i don't know what i want to do when i've finish my doctorate, but it's physics... you can get a fairly clear picture of what to do with that.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Sit in a pub, showing off how damn clever you are, for one.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:15 PM
^ You can do that with Classics! ;)

Well, it doesn't have a specific use (unless one was to go into teaching or museum work, etc) but it's extremely interesting as it encompasses such a wide range of different areas; language, literature, philosophy, "War and politics, gender and sexuality, parents and children, the power of language Classics at **** offers you new perspectives on the key issues of the twenty-first century. At ****, Classics is not just studied as a period set in the past, but looks at how classical culture, language and philosophy have affected the history of civilisation in the West right up to the present."

That's why i want to do it, and purely because i enjoy it, i'm good at it and find it interesting.

That's probably a pretty crap reason for anyone else here but i don't see the point in studying something that you do not enjoy.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-20-2005, 03:16 PM
But at the same time, why study something that, although you enjoy, has no real use?

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Maybe i want to be a lecturer? Sounds pretty good - get paid to talk about a subject that i love. I dunno what i want to do either though; being in a band would be good but i really don't care.

Materialism ruins society; as long as i'm happy that's all that matters.

Naz
03-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd like to be a teacher. i was inspired a lot by the people who taught me.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd like to be a teacher. i was inspired a lot by the people who taught me.

teach what?

What uni is your friend at?

Naz
03-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I want to teach graphics, anything artistic.

I cant remember what Uni my friends at, havent spoken to her for a while and i never really spoke to her at school either.

Lars
03-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe i want to be a lecturer? Sounds pretty good - get paid to talk about a subject that i love. I dunno what i want to do either though; being in a band would be good but i really don't care.

Materialism ruins society; as long as i'm happy that's all that matters.

You can do both, be in a band and go to University. I know someone that turned down Cambridge and went to LSE so he could continue his band. What could be more fun than touring for almost a month around the country and doing a (history) dissertation?

Naz
03-20-2005, 03:28 PM
That'll be good, then youll be doing 2 things you love!

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:28 PM
You can do both, be in a band and go to University. I know someone that turned down Cambridge and went to LSE so he could continue his band. What could be more fun than touring for almost a month around the country and doing a (history) dissertation?

THANK YOU!

Someone finally understands me! It would be awesome!

Although i don't think i'd turn down Cambridge for my current band... :o

Betty
03-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I have never looked into them, although "Oxford" sounds fancier to me, so maybe it is? Like, in terms of reputation. But to give you better advice, you should definitely choose the school for the Classics department, and depending on what you are doing, for the faculty at the school. That is much more important when the schools are both good overall.

Also, Endy, I suppose Noodles is Gay studies Classics even though it will not contribute anything "concrete" to society because she can afford to study something that is purely for her own enjoyment... without having to worry about the future consequences. Or I could be wrong and she is in incredible debt for the love of Classics, but somehow that doesn't seem likely to me.

A lot of subjects are pretty "pointless" to study though and yet a lot of people study them. I do not deny the intrinsic value of such education. Also, as my boyfriend would argue, it DOES provide you with reading/communication/reasoning/etc life skills that can be applied to a totally random job... like... "external communication affairs worker" (I entirely made that up) at some random company.

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Oxford sounds 'fancier' to a lot of people (inc. my parents)

No comment on the money front.

I totally agree with your skills argument; if you know Latin and Greek, because so many English words stem from them, you can work out what words mean and spell them - always useful!

Great Classicists:

Oscar WIlde!
J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter!)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)

^ They've contributed to society with their 'useless' classics degrees.

Betty
03-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking of going to a "fancy" school at one point in my life, maybe for a PDF. Oxford is definitely an option, along with Harvard, etc.

I have to get my jabs in sometimes, especially when people speak of materialism.

Then you can kick the 12 year olds asses at the spelling competitions. (I watched one of those a while ago... HILARIOUS!)

Noodles is gay
03-20-2005, 03:47 PM
I was thinking Harvard or Princeton but they're too far and i'm too lazy.

Well, I personally think that having fun is more important than money, although having enough money to live on is important but beyond that it's really quite unnecessary if you're not enjoying yourself.

Hell yeah! Not just 12 year old asses either! Actually i have always sucked at spelling but these last few years it has improved tremendously.

Endymion
03-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Oscar WIlde!
J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter!)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)

oscar wilde--ok
rawling--she's gotten kids to read, that's good..
coldplay? COLDPLAY? you can't seriously debate that they've contributed positively to society.

Betty
03-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Well yes but education can be quite the expensive commodity, especially somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge unless you're lucky enough to be getting paid. So you can't knock it when you need it to "have fun".

Chris
03-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I'd go for Cambridge purely on the basis of their library - they have some right relics in there from what my friend told me, some very famous literature such as some of Newton's works. Well good luck with going for a degree you'd enjoy, in an ideal world we all could do that but I think a balance between praticality and enjoyment is a wiser option. I just happened to choose a course path I was good at, myself.