PDA

View Full Version : What the hell?

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 10:54 PM
I was searching for Offspring covers, and I came upon one titled 'Evanessence - Self Esteem (live) - Offspring Cover'. I downloaded it out of pure curiousity. The video didn't show up, but sure enough the audio was a chick singing Self Esteem. I'm not sure if it was Evanessence or not, though, but it did sound like her and I know Ben Moody did some stuff for The Offspring. Has anyone else heard this?

Omni
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Can't say I have. But if a girl is gonna sing a cover song, there are better choices than Self-Esteem. It'd make her sound like a lesbian.

I hope she changed all the "hers" to "hims" in the song.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Can't say I have. But if a girl is gonna sing a cover song, there are better choices than Self-Esteem. It'd make her sound like a lesbian.

I hope she changed all the "hers" to "hims" in the song.

It was really bad quality and wasn't too good, I was just laughing at a girl singing that song.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm positive there are plenty of bands out there that could do some nice Offspring covers. But one I wouldn't tinker with is Self-Esteem. It's meant only for Dexter's voice. I like how he kind of makes himself sound whiney and nerdy. I don't think anyone else could mock it.

Although, I'd like to know if there is a cover for L.A.P.D. The lyrics are great, and it sounds like someone had bad equipment when recording it. I think that's why a lot of people dislike it. Sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic there.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:03 PM
There's not much to say if you haven't heard it... I'd like to hear one of End of the Line, All I Want would be good, too.

Italia311
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
It is evenessence..I've heard that before aswell.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
It's funny but it sucks.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
The End of the Line would be great. All I Want was a little short, if someone could find some way to extend it without ruining the song, that'd be awesome.

Now that I think about it, though, it seems like if anyone tries to cover a well known song (like Self-Esteem), they take away what made the song famous and kind of ruin it. Or at least thats the way it is with most I've heard. If someone who's currently selling a lot of music would do a cover of a lesser-known, yet good Offspring song, I think it'd be good. Some of their songs don't get the respect they deserve.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
The End of the Line would be great. All I Want was a little short, if someone could find some way to extend it without ruining the song, that'd be awesome.

Now that I think about it, though, it seems like if anyone tries to cover a well known song (like Self-Esteem), they take away what made the song famous and kind of ruin it. Or at least thats the way it is with most I've heard. If someone who's currently selling a lot of music would do a cover of a lesser-known, yet good Offspring song, I think it'd be good. Some of their songs don't get the respect they deserve.

I was thinking All I Want would be good like TotalImmortal. Short but fast. Genocide would be cool, as well... I bet Staring at the Sun will be done eventually.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:12 PM
The Offspring do some nice covers themselves. Total Immortal, Sin City (my favorite cover), and Bloodstains, namely. Bloodstains sounded really heavy, but I kind of dislike that because it masks the lyrics. When Agent Orange did it, you could clearly understand them. Is Defy You a cover song, or just a song they wrote for Orange County?

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:14 PM
The Offspring do some nice covers themselves. Total Immortal, Sin City (my favorite cover), and Bloodstains, namely. Bloodstains sounded really heavy, but I kind of dislike that because it masks the lyrics. When Agent Orange did it, you could clearly understand them. Is Defy You a cover song, or just a song they wrote for Orange County?

Defy You is original. My favorite cover is I Wanna be Sedated... Smash it Up is my least favorite, although I don't like that song in general.. you know I bet that Bowling for Soup could do a decent 'All I Want' even though I don't like most of thier stuff.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I Wanna be Sedated is a good song, but I grew bored of it after awhile. The song is kind of... I dunno... redundant? Most of the 2 and a half or so minutes are that same line over and over. toward the end with the "bams" gets good, though.

have you heard Sin City? I didn't know Noodles could get down like that on that 45 second or so solo. You can tell right away it's an AC/DC song, only they have solos like that.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Is it really ACDC? I thought it was older, but yes, I've heard it. I was listening to it earlier, actually.

I'd like to see The Offspring do a cover of Should I Stay or Should I Go... it's a good song but I get tired of it easily.. but I can imagine Dexter's voice to it and it sounds a whole lot more appealing.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes, from their Powerage album. It's pretty old, that's like their 5th album. 1978 I believe. Something like that. Who is Should I Stay or Should I Go by? I'll download it and listen to it.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
It's The Clash... it's been on alot, I'm surprised you haven't heard it.

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
The Offspring and Greenday are the bands who really got me into Punk Rock, and I've only been a fan of Offspring since mid 2004. I am gonna start listening to Pennywise soon, though. I heard their Perfect People song and it blew me away. Surely they have more songs like that.

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:30 PM
The Offspring and Greenday are the bands who really got me into Punk Rock, and I've only been a fan of Offspring since mid 2004. I am gonna start listening to Pennywise soon, though. I heard their Perfect People song and it blew me away. Surely they have more songs like that.

I think they helped The Offspring out with D.U.I. I didn't know that Greenday was 'punk' until I heard someone refer to them as it; they've always sounded more alternative rockish to me... but The Offspring are what got me started.

bhg_rulz2
03-23-2005, 11:31 PM
i watched the video of evanescence singing self esteem....the only think i liked was that the ppl in the show were singing the song =D

dirtybird
03-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I put it in my 'comedy' folder :rolleyes:

Omni
03-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Oh, man. That news practically makes me orgasm. D.U.I is my favorite song. Someone should cover D.U.I and put it on their album to make it better know.

Jimbob2005
03-24-2005, 04:16 AM
It was really bad quality and wasn't too good, I was just laughing at a girl singing that song.
i bet it was pretty poor cos i dont like evenescence at all (scuse any crap spelling!)

dexterisMYman
03-24-2005, 05:07 AM
I was searching for Offspring covers, and I came upon one titled 'Evanessence - Self Esteem (live) - Offspring Cover'. I downloaded it out of pure curiousity. The video didn't show up, but sure enough the audio was a chick singing Self Esteem. I'm not sure if it was Evanessence or not, though, but it did sound like her and I know Ben Moody did some stuff for The Offspring. Has anyone else heard this?
thats really gotta suck cuz evanessence sux

dirtybird
03-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Oh, man. That news practically makes me orgasm. D.U.I is my favorite song. Someone should cover D.U.I and put it on their album to make it better know.

It's a fairly new song... maybe in the future, though?

Tijs
03-24-2005, 08:47 AM
I got the video from.. can't remember who a while ago. Still have it, but I don't like it that much though.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
03-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I wanna hear it....someone send me a link