PDA

View Full Version : Libya, your thoughts?

wheelchairman
03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
While in France, I was able to smoke a shisha (yes, Izie, again) with a Libyan student studying there, and we got into discussing the political system of Libya.

While Ghaddaffi has been in power for decades, the political system is actually incredibly BOTTOM - up. Issues on policy are decided at the top, and then sent down to the very bottom, the neighborhood circle or whatnot, to be discussed. The issues and decisions decided by these circles is brought up to the next level to be heard and discussed, and so on and so forth. Personally I was rather impressed by this.

Anyways I've had a hell of a time getting information on Libya. This guy said I could probably get the Green Book by Ghaddaffi for free from the embassy (however, there is a noticeable lack of an embassy here in Denmark so I will probably have to write to the French one.)

Anyways, what are your thoughts on Libya and it's system?

SicN Twisted
03-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Libya has a really unique State system that in some ways are truly empowering to the people, but unfortunately this goes along with a tremendous amount of corruption. Power is vested as low as neighborhood communities, but Ghadaffi still will not allow any chance for parliamentary reform. That being said, based on the African political climate, Libya is reletively democratic and progressive.