PDA

View Full Version : Lets get some philosophy going on

Moose
10-30-2004, 05:20 PM
"There is no truth"

"What is the human mind?"

"What is a soul?"

"What is truth?"

opinions about objectivism, subjectivism?

are you a subjectivist or objectivist?

if there is any such thing as punk or a punk would you agree that rene descartes was the first punk?

just think aloud

etc.
________
Honda NS400R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NS400R)

SicN Twisted
10-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't mention punk and philosophy in the same statement. Please.

Moose
10-30-2004, 05:45 PM
explain.

i didnt mean it in that way at all, it was more of a joke, just to get some responses and stuff.
________
Honda VTX1800R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VTX1800R)

SicN Twisted
10-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Punk is based on stupidity, conformity, and anti intellectualism. How can it possibly go with philosophy?

Moose
10-30-2004, 05:54 PM
ha ok good, i thought you were going to take a shot at philosophy. that is why i said if there is any such thing as punk or a punk...because i too believe punk is bullshit. i have reasons, im not going to go into it unless asked, but im sure you know why.
________
Aprilia TL320 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_TL320)

RXP
10-31-2004, 01:30 AM
"Everything is subjective, even the objective" - RXP - 1984-????

MirandaV
10-31-2004, 03:53 AM
Soul, that's one for me.

The soul is just the way you think, feel, act, your inside

wliethof
10-31-2004, 03:59 AM
Nothing is sure, except that nothing is sure. How do you know I exist? How do you know things you don't see, feel, hear or sense in any other way exists right that time? hmm?

the_GoDdEsS
10-31-2004, 04:53 AM
The Truth is too abstract a term. Who decides what is Truth?
You can only say that the truth is the opposite of lies. It's easier to define lies. But that's just another naive misconception.
What if there isn't such a thing as a general truth when everything in life is relative? You just might have your own truth and never know whether you are/were right or not.

wliethof
10-31-2004, 04:56 AM
So eveyone has their own truth, and where it's the same as other people's truth, you can talk about 'the truth' or something?

the_GoDdEsS
10-31-2004, 05:31 AM
So eveyone has their own truth, and where it's the same as other people's truth, you can talk about 'the truth' or something?

Maybe a common Truth does not even exist.

Like when you say "Everyone dies." Is that truth? No, that's a fact. Maybe you can say it's a true fact. But I would not connect it with the word "truth".

wliethof
10-31-2004, 06:35 AM
Aren't facts true for everyone? Mental cases excluded, I should think that a tree is a tree for everyone.. it's all the same fact for everyone and therefor it is true?

Phate
10-31-2004, 07:35 AM
Why does old cheese smell bad?

Jewel_Blue_Ibanez
10-31-2004, 09:08 AM
To quote my grade 11 English teacher: "Philosophy is a garbage class."

-Prejudiced people are all alike.
-Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
-Don't be redundant by repeating yourself.
-Grammar has gots to be one of the most importantest things ever.
-I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
-There are only three kinds of people: people who can count and people who can't.

Vera
10-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Those who think philosophy is useless probably don't even know what it's about.

I don't like the word "truth". I'd rather talk about what is true. But maybe that's because I just learned the classical definition of what is knowledge. Which isn't very philosophical because it's definite, but um. Yeah.

Moose
10-31-2004, 10:57 AM
well how about knowledge is defined as what is true and certain, but then again you have to find out what is true. you cant make the statement "there is no truth", that statement by itself contradicts itself, its a proposition, its basically saying it is true that there is no truth, so you are saying there is a truth, but now what is true, i dunno, would anyone say that 2 plus 2 isnt 4?

i dont like how my teacher rips philosophers like rene descartes because they are saying more than, does that chair really exist and 2 plus 2 isnt 4. he wants us to think, and not accept everything with such ease until we give it our own test and understanding. im just glad some people actually answered this, for i know the world is becoming numb and dull, not to say im smart by any means, but it doesnt hurt to try and think about stuff, even if it is weird.
________
volcano vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

RXP
10-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Those who think philosophy is useless probably don't even know what it's about.

It depends on how you define usefulness. The problem is it's usually physicists who say abstract philosphy is a waste of time because their idea of usefulness is to better understand the universe in a reductionalist way.

But I define usefulness as anything that aids your own happiness. And philosphy turns me on.

But hey there's the chain of thought that says arguing in language is a waste of time because the words don't mean the same to anyone.

selfrighteoussuicide
10-31-2004, 11:59 AM
this threads too confusing for my own good

Vera
10-31-2004, 12:03 PM
I didn't say there is no truth and I think the Goddess said that she thinks there's no "ultimate truth". Like no simple answer to "what is the truth?". Or rather, no definite answer at all.

Well, RXP, it's not science of philosophy anymore, it's philosophy of science. And philosophy can't be a science in the sense that physics or chemistry is a science, of course not, but I believe Wittgenstein had an answer to that.

And dude, as far as I know, 89% of all things turn you on.

SicN Twisted
10-31-2004, 12:12 PM
I think therefore I am. Hell is other people. God id dead... Neccesity is the MOTHERFUCKER of invention.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Interest free credit with nothing to pay for a year.

RXP
10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Yep the new philosphers are the physcists who write proofs in maths. Well according to my housemate who does physics. And Godel did prove the ontolgical concept with model logic (iirc).

And dude, as far as I know, 89% of all things turn you on.

Hahahaha yes.

Izie
10-31-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm more into psychology today. The lack of my green pills turns me into a monster locked inside its own head tearing everything in there apart.

The human mind is an amazing thing, to repeat what Vera recently said.

And I will gladly do philosophy... Tomorrow.

And just to stay on topic, most philosphers did do things mathematicaly, in a way. Aristhoteles made the whole "logica" thing by translating claims into a form of mathematical expressions.

Philosophy in english. Philosophy in Dutch. Philosophy in Serbian. Lack of pills.

Tell me if I managed to make any of my sentences understandable.

And tell me understandable isn't a word.