PDA

View Full Version : Tutoring

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Does anybody go to tutoring lessons?
Or did you ever go to tutoring lessons?

I used to go to math tutoring only, in the 6th grade until the 7th grade and now I take math lessons on tuesday and friday at 8pm, but I also take history lessons on monday and romanian lessons on wednesday now.

How about you?

Punky Dudess
03-25-2005, 09:46 AM
nah, but my parents threatened to give me a home tutor if my grades didn't improve!!! AAAARGH! luckily they did and i can spend my free time being free!!!! :D

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm stupid and my grades suck so my parents made me go to tutoring lessons so I could improve my grades and my knowledge and to get into highschool.

live_fast_gurl
03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
:eek: my mum wanted me to , instead of mainstream school

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I never went to any because both of my parents worked as teachers back when I went to school. Figures.

I give an occassional German lesson to kids in the family when they need it. And used to help my brother with Maths.

Reefer
03-25-2005, 09:51 AM
no, i just go to school instead

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Maybe I'm the only idiot from here who does need help with school. Oh well... =(

Tired_Of_You
03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
No, but a few years ago I gave French lessons to a kid.

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Maybe I'm the only idiot from here who does need help with school. Oh well... =(

No. Receiving tutoring lessons does not neccessarily mean you're an idiot. It might mean that the style your teacher is using is not appropriate for you and hence it's difficult for you to study and actually understand the shit.
When you have a different teacher/tutor you might just get the right push you need.

sKratch
03-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I tutor my friends in Calculus II and Physics I :]

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 10:06 AM
No. Receiving tutoring lessons does not neccessarily mean you're an idiot. It might mean that the style your teacher is using is not appropriate for you and hence it's difficult for you to study and actually understand the shit.
When you have a different teacher/tutor you might just get the right push you need.
Well, the thing is that two of my tutoring teachers are actually my romanian and history teachers from school.
I guess that I just need to be tought more times cause I'm kind of slow. I get good grades in romanian now. But at history, I still suck. I guess I'm just slow or/and dumb.

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, the thing is that two of my tutoring teachers are actually my romanian and history teachers from school.
I guess that I just need to be tought more times cause I'm kind of slow. I get good grades in romanian now. But at history, I still suck. I guess I'm just slow or/and dumb.

Hrm. Difficult to tell what it is. Sometimes people do need some more time to process things. But that doesn't mean you're dumb or anything.

Also it might be the teaching/learning style I told you about. Try different learning strategies when you're studying.

1. you have the auditory type who can study best while listening to shit. Which means you should say those things out loud when you study.

2. if you're the visual type, highlight the things in your books/notes with different colours. It's all about visualization and it does wonders to your memory.

3. if you're the kinesthetic type you need to walk around while studying.

You might be a mix of all of them. I usually mix those when I'm studying. And trust me, it helps a lot to know which one of those is best for you.

sKratch
03-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I find note-taking to be a fairly effective means of learning. If you take notes on lectures you'll commit more things to memory and remember them longer. At least this has been my experience.

HeadAroundU
03-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Shit! I'm 90% visual type!
When there is a lot of learning,its big problem for me! I need a lot of time to learn something!
I hate auditory type! and kinesthetic type.

I think I should learn continuously.

What else can i do?

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I find note-taking to be a fairly effective means of learning. If you take notes on lectures you'll commit more things to memory and remember them longer. At least this has been my experience.

Oh God, definitely. And I HATE other people's notes. I can't study from them. Ever.

HeadAroundU
03-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh God, definitely. And I HATE other people's notes. I can't study from them. Ever.
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate it!

foxy
03-25-2005, 10:31 AM
home tutors suk my friend quit school and go a ht and he was on a b avarage he is now on a d/e average

HornyPope
03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
If I go back to university and take up on a demanding program, I might consider the option of hiring a tutor shall my academic success not correspond to my ambitions. I see no shame in that. What matters at this stage is the masterly complete of a program and if I can't attain the end alone, others will help me. This is only if I realized that I can't achieve as high as I set out to achieve on my own.

But I have no plans of going to university as of yet anyways so it's a moot point.

rock4life09
03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I've never been tutored or tutored anybody. If I need help on french then I ask my sister for help. And anything else I normally just call someone for help or wait till the next day to finish. I gotta stop doing that :o

JoY
03-25-2005, 10:57 AM
people have tutored me, until they gave up on anything that had my age.
I'm a severely tiring creature. I'm curious, but too lazy to find out. I want to know everything, but I don't want to learn. I'm not dumb, I just don't study. it's a problem. I don't think I'll ever get over puberty. I still cry for no reason sometimes.

either way; chemistry/math/physics. I was tutored at all three courses. (not to forget Latin, but that never helped much)
no one was able to help me. no fucking one. until there was this old man with a similar love for these courses as mine. like me, he saw everything as puzzles, a fun challenge you want to figure out. he wasn't very theoretical, he was just passionate & it turned out that was just what I needed. that's just how I am. I never would've gotten through my schooldays without that old fool.<3 especially not since life was complicated enough at that time.

Nina
03-25-2005, 11:01 AM
i cant study without taking notes. i always take notes,
and if my room is messy, i cant study at all :/ hahaha
i'm so strange. as the goddess said, you need to find
your own way of studying... i believe that if you do not
know how to study on your own, not even tutoring
lessons will help you.

ps ihatemath.

JoY
03-25-2005, 11:10 AM
i cant study without taking notes. i always take notes,
and if my room is messy, i cant study at all :/ hahaha
i'm so strange. as the goddess said, you need to find
your own way of studying... i believe that if you do not
know how to study on your own, not even tutoring
lessons will help you.

ps ihatemath.
I believe this too.
lack of discipline, concentration-problems & fear of failure are seriously things that can get in your way.

Nina
03-25-2005, 11:11 AM
especially the latter!! uuggghh i hate being disappointed
in myself. its one of the most aweful feelings in the world.

JoY
03-25-2005, 11:13 AM
especially the latter!! uuggghh i hate being disappointed
in myself. its one of the most aweful feelings in the world.
definitely. I know. I SO know. :/

Betty
03-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I have tutored people.

I'd like to think that everybody can simply teach themselves things (from books, etc.) but what that comes down to is TIME. Sometimes trying to figure something out yourself could take an hour and if you asked somebody who had already figured it out, they can explain really easy and you get it in a second. That's why tutoring can be good, it can help you understand things quicker if they are able to explain it in a way that you grasp. However, tutoring shouldn't be a replacement for studying yourself. Because at the end of it all, you have to sit down, and focus on the information, and learn it.

As for studying, I think a crucial thing is to not just read and think you understand. You should read the part that you're studying. Then put the notes/textbook away and go over the information. Either write down that math problem without looking. Or summarize the history chapter from your mind. THEN you can find out if you really understand or not. It sounds like a pretty obvious thing to do, but a LOT of people don't do it.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Hrm. Difficult to tell what it is. Sometimes people do need some more time to process things. But that doesn't mean you're dumb or anything.

Also it might be the teaching/learning style I told you about. Try different learning strategies when you're studying.

1. you have the auditory type who can study best while listening to shit. Which means you should say those things out loud when you study.

2. if you're the visual type, highlight the things in your books/notes with different colours. It's all about visualization and it does wonders to your memory.

3. if you're the kinesthetic type you need to walk around while studying.

You might be a mix of all of them. I usually mix those when I'm studying. And trust me, it helps a lot to know which one of those is best for you.
Hmm... I'm actually a mix of the first one cause I like listening to music or to the tv or whatever while I'm studying and the second one cause I need to highlight important facts from my notebooks cause my writing is just awful and that's the only way to understand something. And walking around... Well... I do that when I'm in the classroom, right before a test and I'm just revising.

But still, nothing gets into my head. I mean when I'm studying. Cause when I'm taking a test or something I always remember things from like a week or two weeks before that test from when the teacher tought us but I just can't remember the thing I tried to learn the night before. I'm weird.

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 12:46 PM
But still, nothing gets into my head. I mean when I'm studying. Cause when I'm taking a test or something I always remember things from like a week or two weeks before that test from when the teacher tought us but I just can't remember the thing I tried to learn the night before. I'm weird.

Erm, that's called forgetting and is VERY normal. I suggest you don't study only short/a few days before you take a test. Study a few hours every day over a longer period of time and don't forget to revise a lot.

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh and as for forgetting, lookie here:

http://www.phil.uni-sb.de/~jakobs/seminar/vpl/block/ebbinghaus.gif

That's Mr.Ebbinghaus for you. As you can see humans forget most of the things shortly after learning them and on the first two days after learning it. Then it gets much more stable. Which would also explain why you can't remember the stuff you studied just a short time before the test. =)

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Erm, that's called forgetting and is VERY normal. I suggest you don't study only short/a few days before you take a test. Study a few hours every day over a longer period of time and don't forget to revise a lot.
Okay, I'll try that.
I used to leave it for the last minute and tried to study quickly the night before or right in the break. And I continued like this even though it wasn't any help for me. Meh...

Oh and as for forgetting, lookie here:

http://www.phil.uni-sb.de/~jakobs/seminar/vpl/block/ebbinghaus.gif

That's Mr.Ebbinghaus for you. As you can see humans forget most of the things shortly after learning them and on the first two days after learning it. Then it gets much more stable. Which would also explain why you can't remember the stuff you studied just a short time before the test. =)
Ah, that explains a lot =)

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Okay, I'll try that.
I used to leave it for the last minute and tried to study quickly the night before or right in the break. And I continued like this even though it wasn't any help for me. Meh...

I'd really, really refrain from the 'last minute' business. Especially if it's proven to be uneffective. Some people have that gift but I wouldn't call it a 'gift' even, you just store it all in your short-term memory for a while and forget sooner than you think.
So please, please start earlier and study for a few hours every day rather than all night long before the test.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Okay, I swear that I'll do that from now on. I was just being a lazy fuck, cause that's just me =/

the_GoDdEsS
03-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Okay, I swear that I'll do that from now on. I was just being a lazy fuck, cause that's just me =/

Haha, telling me. I know. Laziness is such a bad friend. Now I hate the last minute studying. It's much too stressful.
And maybe you won't even need tutoring if you get used to a different pattern of studying. Because tutoring provides you with that continual practise and stuff. And if you get used to it on your own, it'll be good.

Just try hard because I know it's sometimes not easy. But forcing yourself at the beginning brings success. =)

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I know, sometimes I just gotta try hard, but I just can't make it.
I promisse that I'll try harder cause this year of school is really important and I'll probably get killed by my parents if I don't manage to get good grades and get into highschool.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Ah, boring. Almost fell asleep. I just hate math.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I always thought that math teachers and physics teachers and chemestry teachers have mental problems. Probably only my teachers from school and tutoring teachers.

JoY
03-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I always thought that math teachers and physics teachers and chemestry teachers have mental problems. Probably only my teachers from school and tutoring teachers.
teachers in general are a little nutty, if I judge from all the teachers I've had.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Oh yeah, I agree, all of my teachers are crazy. But both of my math teachers, the chemestry teacher and the physics teacher, well, they all have mental problems, I swear.

JoY
03-25-2005, 01:35 PM
what can I say? science fucks people up & over. trying to mathematicalise life can't be done, so imagine all the disappointments they have to live with every day.

original_psycho
03-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Yes, I guess that's it.
I'm just mad cause they all seem to have something against me.

JoY
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, I guess that's it.
I'm just mad cause they all seem to have something against me.
oh, they're just frustrated you aren't male & are capable of thinking.

JohnnyNemesis
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I work as a tutor at my school (Borough of Manhattan Community College). It's a lot of fun, and I'm passionate about my work, but it's a frustrating situation. I always run into students who don't take their own work as seriously as they should or as seriously as I do. Even worse are the students who expect me to do their work for them. All in all though, I love my job.