PDA

View Full Version : THE Civil War

Mota Boy
03-27-2005, 02:17 AM
...because there has only been one.

So, the U.S. had a civil war a little while ago. But 'round here it's known at THE Civil War, with capitalization and everything. As is there has only been one important civil war in the history of humanity ((but to be honest, other than the reds v. whites in Russia and the Commies v. the KMD it's hard to think of anything that could even compare to our war in terms of global ramifications)).

Any way, in the South I learned that there were a great many reasons that the Civil War took place, most importantly states rights. Slavery was one of... seven or so reasons that we went to war. All my Northern friends learned that it was about slavery. All my foreign friends... I never bothered to ask.

So what did you learn about this conflict, if at all?

arak0r
03-27-2005, 02:23 AM
i learned that the deep south is vastly inferior to the north (well really, if you look at education, crime, and $$, it is :X)

ninth
03-27-2005, 02:45 AM
I remember taking an exam in sixth or seventh grade on the subject and my teacher stressed that the Civil War wasn't only about slavery.

sKratch
03-27-2005, 02:49 AM
I had AP US History so we learned the proper reasons. Be fucked if I remember them now though...

arak0r
03-27-2005, 02:53 AM
oh, and seriously, we didnt learn it was just slavery. in fact i remember learning that slavery itself was a small part of it.

ThrashedThrasher
03-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I remember taking an exam in sixth or seventh grade on the subject and my teacher stressed that the Civil War wasn't only about slavery.

^^ Same here. We just finished our unit on the Civil War. (I fucking hate U.S. History.)