PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians!!

Zack
03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't get it i have this friend he's a vegetarian and fat! But i still don't get how these people do it. How can you not eat meat for years and years? :confused:

sk8ter-hater
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
It seems that has been proven.

nitropenguin!
03-27-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm a vegetarian. And my opinion, your friend, in which you're swallow enough to call fat, must pig out on junk food. Or it's merely because he's built that way. I mean, have some common sense.

And some people are driven to accomplishing their goals for beliefs or for health reasons. They adapt to the diet.

Zack
03-27-2005, 08:50 PM
That's what im sayin.

Zack
03-27-2005, 08:51 PM
How do you guy's do it!!!???

turb0negr0
03-27-2005, 08:53 PM
How do you guy's do it!!!???

It's simple, THEY DO NOT EAT MEAT.

Zack
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
I have to eat meat!

nitropenguin!
03-27-2005, 08:57 PM
We don't care, that's your choice!

Noodles is gay
03-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I had a whole leg of lamb for dinner! My family don't like lamb so i ate the whole thing! Yeah! :D

Zack
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
lamb, never had that before.

Noodles is gay
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
lamb's awesome - almost as good as rabbit or duck; you gotta try it!

nitropenguin!
03-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Damn carnivores.

Homer
03-27-2005, 09:15 PM
man, I hate people who say they're vegetarian and then eat meat a week later.... it fucking pisses me off for some reason.... I'm not a vegetarian, in fact I'm eating meat right now!

Inshane
03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
you probably just dont like hyprocrits.

and I am a vegetarian, for 5 years now.

fo_shizzle
03-28-2005, 02:50 AM
there aint nothing wrong with being a vegetarian u fool! and they go without meat because they beileve its right its not impossible there are meat substitues(cant spell it :confused: ). oh and by the way wat is wrong with him being fat!?!? sum friend u r

live_fast_gurl
03-28-2005, 03:13 AM
im an omnivore but i dont eat that much meat

dirtybird
03-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Vegetarians are douches... :rolleyes:

Zack
03-28-2005, 06:46 AM
No I have alot of fat friends exept this one is a vegetarian.

dirtybird
03-28-2005, 06:47 AM
That means he's failing at failing.

Zack
03-28-2005, 06:51 AM
that's what i told him.

HeadAroundU
03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't care about vegetarians!
If they don't wanna eat meat .....no problem... :cool:

Zack
03-28-2005, 07:51 AM
I want a big fat juicy steak right now!

HeadAroundU
03-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I have tons of easter ham :D

nitropenguin!
03-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Vegetarians are douches... :rolleyes:
Are you implying that I am douche? Oh no you di'n't! That's it, I'm handing in my two weeks notice. You will no longer have a prudent penguin as your lovable companion.

Noodles is gay
03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
^ Damn Rabbits...... :p

I have tons of easter ham :D

Yay! same! I ate a load for brekfast but there's so much left! I like meat. :cool:

Zack
03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't eat breakfast.

phoenix
03-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Vegetarians eat eggs & fish. Excuse me, that's as 'bad' as eating meat. Yet they're so perverse they'll deny it.

Maria

if u eat fish you arent a vegetarian
its actually quite easy.you just dont eat rotting carcasses.i dont get how u guys can do it
especially if youve seen slaughterhouses

nitropenguin!
03-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Actually if you didn't eat fish, that'd make you a vegan. So Maria is correct.

Though, Maria, I think those vegetarians who choose to atleast eat fish are acceptable. Because they usually do that to support anti-violence. Most mistreat the farm animals more violently then they do fish.

phoenix
03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=nitropenguin!]Actually if you didn't eat fish, that'd make you a vegan. So Maria is correct. QUOTE]

vegans would be people who dont eat dairy products
fish is not a dairy product

nitropenguin!
03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Wow get your facts straight. Vegans choose to not eat dairy products, anything that was once living, and do not support the use of products obtained from animals.

SkunkIt
03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't get it i have this friend he's a vegetarian and fat! But i still don't get how these people do it. How can you not eat meat for years and years? :confused:I know these people who are vegetarians, and I didn't eat meat for a week, I don't mind, because i'm kind of addicted to bacon, I say it taste like a dead pig, but I feel I have to eat it anyways, and I heard meat helps grow your pituitary gland and it's good for diabetics.

HeadAroundU
03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Meat is important for people!Include a lot of vitamins :)

phoenix
03-28-2005, 11:37 AM
a lot of things contain vitamins.meats important for protein and iron.
fish seems 2 be particularly good for protein
ok.argue with both the HET teachers in my school,a doctor,a dietrician and a few veggies i talk 2 on a daily basis

MirandaV
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm also a vegetarian, and I dont eat fish. Though I do eat eggs, those from free chickens.

I don't know
03-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't get it i have this friend he's a vegetarian and fat! But i still don't get how these people do it. How can you not eat meat for years and years? :confused:
I just can't understand how they can eat vegetables, it's so fucking horrible. And I think that we need to eat meat (I like it), I can't understand how they don't eat meat for years too. these vegetarians let me confused, hehehe :D

I don't know
03-28-2005, 03:18 PM
me too, I got lost in my fucking thoughts, hehehe :D

I don't know
03-28-2005, 03:26 PM
you have thoughts? heheheh :D
not really, I don't even get a brain, hehehe :D , I've tried to have some thoughts but as u can see it didn't work, hehehehe :D

I don't know
03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm vegetarian
I didn't know that, my imposter vegetarian......., shame on u, hehehehe :D

I don't know
03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
good idea, choose a name :D

Eccentric Sara
03-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. It isn't that hard to avoid eating meat when there are so many nice foods about that don't contain it. I actually prefer some meat substitutes like T.V.P. (Textured Vegetable Protein,one brand of which is called Quorn- it is made from a fungus) to actual meat. They taste nicer and are better for you,as they contain less fat and cholesterol. For example,I prefer "Linda McCartney" lasagne, which contains T.V.P.,instead of mince to ordinary lasagne. And I'm not even a vegetarian! I would find it easy to give up meat if I had to though. At the moment, I avoid red meat,as it is unhealthy,and I don't really like the taste,and eat fish and chicken. I don't see the connection between being vegetarian and being thin and /or healthy though. There are loads of unhealthy and high calory foods that don't contain meat like chips,crisps,chocolate etc,so it is quite possible for someone who is vegetarian to be fat. Being vegan would be hard for me though,as a lot of what I eat contains animal products (e.g.- milk in my coffee,margarine, cheese spread,gelatine in jelly sweets,etc). I respect anyone who can manage to adapt to that kind of strict diet! There must be loads of things that vegans can't eat,so it's probable that they are healthier than non-vegans as so many fatty foods are off-limits.

Little_Miss_1565
03-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Meat is dead bodies. Ew. But I became a vegetarian just for health reasons. There are many non-animal sources of protein.

Betty
03-29-2005, 07:09 AM
There must be loads of things that vegans can't eat,so it's probable that they are healthier than non-vegans as so many fatty foods are off-limits.

K, I have to say it. Lower fat does not equate to healthy. Maybe skinny. Not healthy.

Nina
03-29-2005, 07:26 AM
i have a strong opinion on this. i will try to hold it back a little.

i have nothing against vegetarians in general, and i accept their way of eating, of course. just to clear that up.
but there are many "reasons" i do not understand. what i absolutely understand, though, is when a person says that he finds the idea to eat another animal disgusting. yup, thats perfectly fine and understandable to me. if a person doesnt eat meat because he doesnt like the taste, i can very much understand that, too...i hate the taste of walnuts and dont eat them either.

however, saying that it is "wrong" to eat meat, is something i do not understand. once again i can very much accept it, as it is not in my business what other people eat anyway, but its simply not understandable or reasonable to me. other animals eat meat too, a lot of them, even... so i dont see how it can be "wrong" in a natural way.
saying that it is unhealthy to eat meat is also wrong. i myself cannot scientistically prove that, because i honestly dont know shit, but i know that others did... so i dont see the big deal. most things in moderation are just fine and perfectly healthy. and that definitely goes for meat as well. the human body is built to eat and use whats in meat... of course we have found other things that could almost replace it, but that doesnt change the fact that we are naturally meat-eaters.

Little_Miss_1565
03-29-2005, 08:38 AM
We are naturally omnivores, not just meat-eaters.

Meat itself isn't what's unhealthy; it's what the meat industry is doing to our food supply. Sure, there's nothing very unhealthy about chicken, but how about eating all those antibiotics that the factory farmers pump into those chickens? That's what I mean by health reasons. Other arguments include how the general population eats far more meat now than their bodies are designed to handle--one serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. How many decks of cards do you eat at an average meal? All this overeating of protein can actually lead to calcium leeching from your bones. And the aforementioned hormones and antibiotics in meat.

It bugs me too when people say it's wrong to eat meat. But there are a lot of other more convincing reasons not to eat meat.

Nina
03-29-2005, 08:52 AM
"Other arguments include how the general population eats far more meat now than their bodies are designed to handle."

yes you are absolutely right, thats what i meant with "eating in moderation", though.

and you are also right about the antibiotics; when i wrote my reply it actually did not come into my mind that i've also heard this reason a few times from vegeratians. it is probably unhealthy indeed, but if i think of the average amoung of meat the human body needs, i do not think that it would have a lot of effect on one's health (?). however, i can fully understand if a person decides to not eat meat because of that. (just that I wouldnt stop because of it, i guess)

"We are naturally omnivores, not just meat-eaters."

i phrased it wrongly, i did mean that meat is part of what we naturally eat. of course we dont JUST eat meat, not even *i* believe that ^^.

=)

Betty
03-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Meat itself isn't what's unhealthy; it's what the meat industry is doing to our food supply. Sure, there's nothing very unhealthy about chicken, but how about eating all those antibiotics that the factory farmers pump into those chickens? That's what I mean by health reasons.

Bah, a semi-valid reason. But people are exposed to terrible things all the time in every way every day. Unless you don't smoke, don't drink, exercise (hardcore) every day, don't touch drugs, don't go outside where air pollution and pesticides infiltrate your lungs, don't stay inside where mold and germs fester, wear full body clothes all the time to avoid destructive UV rays etc, etc, etc... it seems like that would be more of a backup argument to support more major arguments for not eating meat. If that is the main reason, are you paranoid about everything else in your life and a super-incredibly healthy individual? If not, why choose that particular thing to do and not the others? I suppose if it were much, much worse. But I don't believe it is.

I'm not singling out vegetarians on this one, but I would use the same argument for people who don't drink alcohol, don't smoke weed, are super germ paranoid, etc all for "health reasons".

Zack
03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
You guy's are right exept it just bothers me when people say im not going to eat meat for the rest of my life because i will live longer! Becaus eit is true that you will stay healthy and be on a balance diet but you do need the protien from fish and other vitamins from other meats. So it is really good for you to eat meat once in a while.

Sunny
03-29-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian... and occassionally I'll eat seafood, so I suppose that makes me a pescetarian, really. hrm. Either way I don't eat meat.

however, saying that it is "wrong" to eat meat, is something i do not understand. once again i can very much accept it, as it is not in my business what other people eat anyway, but its simply not understandable or reasonable to me. other animals eat meat too, a lot of them, even... so i dont see how it can be "wrong" in a natural way.
saying that it is unhealthy to eat meat is also wrong. i myself cannot scientistically prove that, because i honestly dont know shit, but i know that others did... so i dont see the big deal. most things in moderation are just fine and perfectly healthy. and that definitely goes for meat as well. the human body is built to eat and use whats in meat... of course we have found other things that could almost replace it, but that doesnt change the fact that we are naturally meat-eaters.

first of. I'm not the type to preach to anyone about their eating habits, because, as you said, it's none of my business what others eat. However, I MYSELF feel that it's somewhat wrong to eat meat. If I could make sure that the animal grew in it's natural habitat, and was killed quickly, painlessly and humanely, then I probably wouldn't feel that it was wrong. However, I've done enough research on the meat industry in the United States to know that such is not the case. I simply refuse to support the prolonged suffering and abuse of animals. I might be an overly emotional little girl, but I don't think it's right to put anyone through horrible pain (be it a human being or an animal), and pay money to support it.
You said other animals kill and eat each other too. Indeed, they do. Animals also don't have a conscience, and don't realize they're causing others suffering. Animals also attack each other violently and get away with it.

I'm not trying to be mean to you, and I'm sorry if I sound bitchy... it's just that I have fairly strong opinions on the subject, as do you.

From what I've read, we're not really well equipped (biologically) to eat meat. Well, we can, of course.. but.. our bodies don't seem to be built for it. The intestines of meat eaters are far shorter than ours to allow for the meat to pass through faster. Carnivores also have differently built jaws, and stronger stomach acids that allow them to quickly digest the decaying matter. The enzymes present in our mouths bear resemblance to the enzymes present in grain eaters. Meat is generally pretty difficult for us to digest. I don't know about you, but when I ate meat, I'd get a heavy feeling in my tummy... that I'd never get after a veggie/soy protein based meal.

blah I'm rambling. I have nothing against people who eat meat, and I'm not in any position to force my views upon anyone. I'm not that much of a dickface ;p What I hate though is when people give me shit about MY eating habits, and make moronic assumptions about me. bah. here's a big *fuck you* to all of them.

Sunny
03-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Bah, a semi-valid reason. But people are exposed to terrible things all the time in every way every day. Unless you don't smoke, don't drink, exercise (hardcore) every day, don't touch drugs, don't go outside where air pollution and pesticides infiltrate your lungs, don't stay inside where mold and germs fester, wear full body clothes all the time to avoid destructive UV rays etc, etc, etc... it seems like that would be more of a backup argument to support more major arguments for not eating meat. If that is the main reason, are you paranoid about everything else in your life and a super-incredibly healthy individual?

I don't understand why people bring this up as a valid argument, honestly. I don't avoid all the dangers of this world, of course. But I'm all about minimizing the damage that it does to me. MINIMIZING, not completely avoiding it! I could give up meat easily, so I did, and I feel better and healthier. I can wear SPF lotions, and I do. I don't smoke or do drugs. Of course, I live in a polluted city, and I don't wear full body clothes, but..

Are you saying that if I don't avoid ALL of the unhealthy things, it's NOT ok for me to bring up the health issues that meat could cause? come on.

Betty
03-29-2005, 10:50 PM
It's not quite like that... it's more like WHY choose one over the other?

For example, if you dislike the taste of meat or have something moral against eating it, it would be easier to give up.

But if you just randomly decide to not eat meat for health reasons and do other things that can damage your health just as much... why?

I can see your point too. I guess I just have a very "we're all going to get cancer and die someday" attitude towards life. And I do engage in things that contribute to a healthy lifestyle but they are more positive than negative actions. E.g. eating healthy food (lots of veggies, vitamins, etc.) along with all the junkfood and sweets, DOING exercise, wearing sunscreen but not avoiding the sun. But I don't so much avoid things. I don't smoke, but I think it's gross. If I liked it, I would probably do it. So basically, if you used to enjoy meat, it doesn't seem convincing that you would give it up just for health reasons. because it's not that bad.

I hope I make SOME sense...

Sunny
03-29-2005, 11:14 PM
heh, yeah, you do make sense.

For me, giving up meat was easier because I simply feel nicer (lighter, healthier) when I don't eat it.. and I'm immensely disturbed by the meat industry. So, I suppose my decision wasn't that random after all.

Nina
03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
"I simply refuse to support the prolonged suffering and abuse of animals. I might be an overly emotional little girl, but I don't think it's right to put anyone through horrible pain (be it a human being or an animal), and pay money to support it."

you see, i never said anything against individual reasoning. its an opinion you have, and you have every right to support it, i am aware of that indeed. talking about not liking the taste of meat is a similar case to me.
but calling it overall morally wrong and telling everybody else to do the same thing, with THAT reasoning, is what i do not understand.
i dont know if i am able to express myself...i am basically looking for the logic behind the various reasons of vegetarians which are applicable for everybody. i am not saying that you claim that everybody should be vegetarians, but there are enough people who do. eating meat is a choice everybody has to do for himself, and i am sick of people telling me that it is overall morally wrong to eat meat and yadda yadda.
i should have made clearer that my first paragraph was about the individual opinion, and the second about the "general" statements of a lot of vegetarians, saying that it should be an overall "rule" not to eat meat because it is "generally" wrong.

"You said other animals kill and eat each other too. Indeed, they do. Animals also don't have a conscience, and don't realize they're causing others suffering. Animals also attack each other violently and get away with it.

hehe, i knew this one was coming, i've used this argument myself when i tried to understand the side of vegetarians better.
i still believe that we naturally eat meat...i dunno. i can only repeat what i said, and it would be an endless argument, so i'll just stop here.

"The intestines of meat eaters are far shorter than ours to allow for the meat to pass through faster. Carnivores also have differently built jaws, and stronger stomach acids that allow them to quickly digest the decaying matter. The enzymes present in our mouths bear resemblance to the enzymes present in grain eaters."

i believe you are just talking of animals that only eat meat. but as little miss already said, we are naturally omnivores, so i dont really see how any of this would prove that we are, naturally, not "supposed" to eat meat (phrased it wrongly, hope you understand what i mean).

"Meat is generally pretty difficult for us to digest."

i disagree with that. certain meats may be "heavy", but we are not "supposed" (there, again) to eat all kinds of meat, do we? ewww. (i shall stop imagining that..)

and i dunno why you believe that you may have sounded bitchy :/ you're far away from that for now?

Little_Miss_1565
03-30-2005, 08:21 AM
But if you just randomly decide to not eat meat for health reasons and do other things that can damage your health just as much... why?

I can see your point too. I guess I just have a very "we're all going to get cancer and die someday" attitude towards life. And I do engage in things that contribute to a healthy lifestyle but they are more positive than negative actions. E.g. eating healthy food (lots of veggies, vitamins, etc.) along with all the junkfood and sweets, DOING exercise, wearing sunscreen but not avoiding the sun. But I don't so much avoid things. I don't smoke, but I think it's gross. If I liked it, I would probably do it. So basically, if you used to enjoy meat, it doesn't seem convincing that you would give it up just for health reasons. because it's not that bad.

Actually, overuse of antibiotics is FAR worse than going out with friends for drinks on the weekend.

The amount of antibiotics that people consume not only can but will and is leading to superinfections--that is, infections that are immune to antibiotics, and actually feed off of those antibiotics, so that the more antibiotics consumed, the stronger the infection. This would be a national if not international crisis--not just a question of whether or not it's hypocritical on a personal level. I choose to withdraw my support of the meat industry while this is the way it does its business.

And even other than antibiotics, have you ever read the book <i>Fast Food Nation</i>? I would prefer my meat without human blood on it.

I think I might have forgotten to mention while I was talking about health issues that as soon as I stopped eating meat, I lost 50 pounds without even doing much exercise and have maintained that loss for the last three years, my cholesterol levels are now ridiculously good, and I haven't had a migraine in almost two years (knock on wood).

TrippingOut
03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
unfortunately, i really like meat. but i just cant bring myself to eat those cute little lambs...

Sunny
03-30-2005, 09:13 AM
calling it overall morally wrong and telling everybody else to do the same thing, with THAT reasoning, is what i do not understand.
(...)
eating meat is a choice everybody has to do for himself, and i am sick of people telling me that it is overall morally wrong to eat meat and yadda yadda.
(...)
i believe you are just talking of animals that only eat meat. but as little miss already said, we are naturally omnivores, so i dont really see how any of this would prove that we are, naturally, not "supposed" to eat meat (phrased it wrongly, hope you understand what i mean).

i, too, can't stand it when people try to force their moral views upon me, and it happens a lot. It seems that there's not many people who can just be tolerant of the choices of others. I hate it when people bitch at me and tell me that what I do is wrong or horrible or stupid. I often hear "OMG HOW CAN YOU EAT EGGS AND DAIRY, DAIRY IS RAPE, EXPLOITERRRR!!!!". please. Recently I heard "vegetarians are retarded, I love fur, I love eating animals, AND I LOVE SWEATSHOP LABOR". Yes, it was an actual quote.

And I don't like being called retarded.

what i was saying about our biological makeup.. well, I suppose it wasn't really relevant to the discussion. We CAN eat meat, of course, and we won't die from it, but we'd be wise to eat it in moderation and base our diet on other things. but I'm sick of people who tell me "OMGZ YOURE STUPID IF YOU DONT EAT MEAT YOU WILL HAVE NO ENERGY AND DIE CUZ WE HAVE TO EAT MEAT". We don't have to, and our bodies show that we don't have to (if we don't want to, of course). Which is what i was trying to say. ;p

ewwww and eating all kinds of meat sounds just.. too gross. EWE!

foxy
03-30-2005, 09:14 AM
when mt grandad used to have his farm he would let me choose the turkey to kill for xmas din dins

Betty
03-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I think I might have forgotten to mention while I was talking about health issues that as soon as I stopped eating meat, I lost 50 pounds without even doing much exercise and have maintained that loss for the last three years, my cholesterol levels are now ridiculously good, and I haven't had a migraine in almost two years (knock on wood).

I don't know... but could that also be in part a result of eating less? And less fat? I'd imagine that if I stopped eating meat, I would eat less overall, just because it's a large part of my diet and I wouldn't be able to eat enough other stuff to make up for the total amount. And when you eat "lots" of vegetables, it's definitely not the same as eating "lots" of meat. Anyway, it might be numerous factors, but it's awesome that it had so many health benefits, regardless.

Vegetarian diets can be great though. I try and incorporate various vegetarian-style foods in my diet cause they're really healthy. Some stuff I think is pretty gross though. Like, tofu, sure, it's edible and I've had it with stir frys and other things but chicken is a million times better tasting. I think my meat intake is probably 90% chicken, I love the stuff. Red meat is much less often. And fish is really good, and healthy, too.

Do you eat fish, out of curiosity? Since it wouldn't really have the same antibiotic problems?

About the antibiotics, I am WELL aware of the spiel and I 100% agree. I avoid antibiotics like the plague. I guess I never made the connection though with the meat ones used. Because would the ones they use in meat be the same types that they would use in humans? I suppose I could look into it, but am too scared of being bombarded with propaganda. If so, that's pretty bad, and I guess I would have to resign myself to being a hypocrite on that point, and stop breaching about people taking antibiotics as drugs. Cause meat is TOO tasty. Food in general. I could not diet.

Panzerfaust92
03-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't know... but could that also be in part a result of eating less? And less fat? I'd imagine that if I stopped eating meat, I would eat less overall, just because it's a large part of my diet and I wouldn't be able to eat enough other stuff to make up for the total amount. .
Trust me. I haven't eaten any meat in about 4 years and I eat just as much as I did as a growing teenager. Some people recomend eating 5 small meals a day. I eat 5 small meals and 3 large meals.

Little_Miss_1565
03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't know... but could that also be in part a result of eating less? And less fat? I'd imagine that if I stopped eating meat, I would eat less overall, just because it's a large part of my diet and I wouldn't be able to eat enough other stuff to make up for the total amount. And when you eat "lots" of vegetables, it's definitely not the same as eating "lots" of meat. Anyway, it might be numerous factors, but it's awesome that it had so many health benefits, regardless.

Vegetarian diets can be great though. I try and incorporate various vegetarian-style foods in my diet cause they're really healthy. Some stuff I think is pretty gross though. Like, tofu, sure, it's edible and I've had it with stir frys and other things but chicken is a million times better tasting. I think my meat intake is probably 90% chicken, I love the stuff. Red meat is much less often. And fish is really good, and healthy, too.

Do you eat fish, out of curiosity? Since it wouldn't really have the same antibiotic problems?

About the antibiotics, I am WELL aware of the spiel and I 100% agree. I avoid antibiotics like the plague. I guess I never made the connection though with the meat ones used. Because would the ones they use in meat be the same types that they would use in humans? I suppose I could look into it, but am too scared of being bombarded with propaganda. If so, that's pretty bad, and I guess I would have to resign myself to being a hypocrite on that point, and stop breaching about people taking antibiotics as drugs. Cause meat is TOO tasty. Food in general. I could not diet.

Much like Panzerfaust, I eat a LOT. I <3 food. Though not as much as he says he does. Of course, cutting meat from my diet has forced me to branch out into the other food groups in the food pyramid, so that might have something to do with it. But I'm serious about the eating a fuck-ton of food.

I don't eat fish, but I make the occasional exception for clams (and clams only) because of family recipes and traditions. Clamatarian? Fish is only healthy in moderate amounts, due to the rising mercury levels in our oceans. Pregnant women are warned not to eat fish at all.

The antibiotics used in cattle and other animals is the same as those used in humans. Chicken, though in and of itself much more healthy than other meats, is rife with antibiotics and other additives. At least try to go organic?

Meat does taste good. I miss buffalo wings a lot. But I like my slim waist and low grocery bills more!

Betty
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm aware of the mercury thing too. But honestly, since I work in chemistry, I am pretty immune (not physically, but mentally) to chemicals. I inhale, touch, and probably even ingest things that are in theory incredibly toxic. So what's a little mercury right? I also hear that tuna is very bad for mercury. I don't eat much tuna.

There are lots of issues with organic foods. For one: EXPENSIVE. When and if it gets cheaper, sure I would buy it. Or when I get rich, maybe. But clearly it is more expensive to produce so I don't know if that is likely. Also, I don't think the "organic" industry is all that perfect either. We had this speaker in class the other day who is a big head honcho for testing with the Ontario Food Industry and apparently they have found some incredibly high levels of prohibited toxic steroid type things in cattle that is produced "organically". So...

Overall, people have a right to be concerned, but people are overly concerned about a LOT of things due to misinformation.

At least we can agree that FOOD RULES.