PDA

View Full Version : ok, guys, help me out here.

Sunny
03-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Alright, so.. I never thought I'd ask for help with schoolwork on this bbs, but christ I'm stuck. Reading this one assignment makes my head hurt, and everyone else I asked about it said "that's insane". So. I don't know. If someone can explain this to me, or come up with a possible solution, I will love you forever and give you an e-back rub.

here goes. ;x

TRANSLATION EXPLORATION :

Overview
Vivian's handstamp depends on the translation of her statement. The statement
reads one thing if read one way, but when turned over (180) reads another thing.

Challenge
In the native language (Korean), if read one way it says (more or less) :
Fortune will come

and if turned over it reads :
Fortune comes ( or "is coming" or "is here")

Specifics
Translate the sentiment of the statement (clearly, well) into English.
Try to capture the verbal tense shift, and if possible do it in a way that
the statement needs to be turned 180 .

PS. Vivian is a classmate of mine who doesn't speak English well (or at all), and so we're supposed to help her complete her dumb ass project. gah.

TrippingOut
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
ummm. i dont get it. sorry.

Sunny
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
ME NEITHER! erkjghbjkldfg

foxy
03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
so you want us to fugure out what fortune will come say upside down

Sunny
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah basically. i guess? no? I DONT KNOW.

it has to be a reversible statement.. but ENGLISH DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT... or maybe it's the language barrier that's making it impossible for me to get this.. ldfkjghlgfd

JohnnyNemesis
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
I read it a few times, and I think I made some progress, but overall I'm really confused. When do you need help by? I'll try again when I'm "more awake" if possible, but my knowledge of foreign languages is weak as fuck.

Incidentally, you should check your PMs if you haven't yet done so, Sunny. Mayhaps it'll cheer you up?

foxy
03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
...it has to be a reversible statement...

so in revese it would have to be fortune would not/never come

ps what year or grade are you in

Sunny
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I read it a few times, and I think I made some progress, but overall I'm really confused. When do you need help by? I'll try again when I'm "more awake" if possible, but my knowledge of foreign languages is weak as fuck.

Incidentally, you should check your PMs if you haven't yet done so, Sunny. Mayhaps it'll cheer you up?

weeoooo it did, and it also made me hungry as hell. ;p REPLIED!

this stupid thing is due tomorrow. we're supposed to come up with 10-15 possible translations. i just.. arg... *stabs self with pencil*

foxy, I'm a sophomore in college. ;/

foxy
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
oh well im in year 10 i think thats like grade 7 or 8 so your jst a bit more smarter dan me

Mota Boy
03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
I love a good word problem. Are we assuming that this can by typed up or are you allowed to take creative liberties with the way the words are written? (i.e. could "+" be a t so that it becomes vertically reversible?)

Oh yeah, and punch the teacher in the gut for me for ever thinking up such a "gee-wiz I'll be so artsy by coming up with an original assignment without thinking it through in the least" assingment.

Wait, ten to fifteen possible translation? Just shiv the bastard.

Endymion
03-30-2005, 11:29 AM
just so i'm totally clear... a classmate has an oddity: a few words in korean which read one thing in the future tense normally, and the same thing in the present or present progressive when turned upside down. do the same thing in english.

right?

just off hand, i'm going to call impossible on this one.

Sunny
03-30-2005, 11:40 AM
mota - i don't think there are any limitations regarding how the words are written. it's still a huge fucking pain in the ass though. and i should. ;x

endy - yes, you got it. and i agree, i'm about to give up. my brain hurts.

Noodles is gay
03-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Maybe it's just me but;

if one way says 'forture will come' and
and t'other says "is coming" that is [more or less] the SAME THING.

'Is coming' and 'will come' mean the same thing, the other possibilities don't mean the same but that one does so really it can't mean that one, right? (if that makes any sense whatsoever)

Challenge
In the native language (Korean), if read one way it says (more or less) :
Fortune will come

and if turned over it reads :
Fortune comes ( or "is coming" or "is here")

Specifics
Translate the sentiment of the statement (clearly, well) into English.
Try to capture the verbal tense shift, and if possible do it in a way that
the statement needs to be turned 180 .

Right, having thought about it, and come up with something (most probably wrong) i will say it anyway, so criticize if will, but this is all i have:

"Translate the sentiment of the statement (clearly, well) into English":

The 'sentiment' is the feeling conveyed, which seems, to me, to be that fortune [always?] prevails, and that even if it's not here now - it WILL eventuallly get here.......?

Yeah that's all i have - but for the record i think it's an utterly stupid exercise because the sentiment was written in another language and hence, culture and therefore will have a different meaning (sort of) to a Korean and an English/American.

Jesus
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
I just don't get it, it has to be impossible. If it just words that you read reversed which then have a different meaning like rats/star that would make sense and would be easy. This though, deserves a fjshdfjkslfsdbkjds

Homer
03-30-2005, 11:50 AM
what a fuck of a question... that really sucks, I mean, no word translates into another language that means the same thing... damnit

Gothgirl2606
03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Judging as it's such a weerd question, only a really old bloke or a really old woman cud hav set that. they r the sort of people thatmoan wen "us kids of today" dont know unusual shit they do :rolleyes:

Gothgirl2606
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
quik thought.

wen u say reversible, is it like, mum can be read backwards + mean the samer thing???? :confused:

Noodles is gay
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
oh well im in year 10 i think thats like grade 7 or 8 so your jst a bit more smarter dan me

You're in year 10! :eek: I had you pinned down as a year 6/7 :p

JohnnyNemesis
03-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Judging as it's such a weerd question, only a really old bloke or a really old woman cud hav set that. they r the sort of people thatmoan wen "us kids of today" dont know unusual shit they do :rolleyes:

Holy god..........

Jesus
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Holy god..........

Where are the grammar and spelling nazis when you need them...

Noodles is gay
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
^ i've had to give up because it made me even more unpopular :(

It was these two that got me; weerd and quik?!

*weeps*

Homer
03-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Where are the grammar and spelling nazis when you need them...

oh sorry, SPELLING AND GRAMMER NAZIS.... AWAY!!! :D

Betty
03-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I actually did try and think about it for a while. It's just so vague that I'm not even sure what's being asked. Is it more of a metaphorical thing? Like, the fact that it had to be rotated is a part of the sentiment. Like, you can control your fortune with a flip of the statement, thus an emphasis on the control of one's own fortune, for the good or for the bad.

OR is it more cut and dry? Because then there would definitely be more language barrier. And English words don't turn upside down.

Bizarre.

Endymion
03-30-2005, 08:43 PM
very few latin characters survive a rotational transform, even in part... only two vowels do (o, i)--your word choices are exceedingly limited.

and jenny... will come is future tense, is coming is present progressive... although they have the same base verbs, the tenses are very different.

arak0r
03-30-2005, 08:48 PM
oh sorry, SPELLING AND GRAMMER NAZIS.... AWAY!!! :D

grammar... christ

JohnnyNemesis
03-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Ooh, I should be the grammar Christ!

Endymion
03-30-2005, 08:56 PM
stop! grammar time
http://www.csulb.edu/%7Erjames/1103940754180.jpg

JohnnyNemesis
03-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Endymion was already in my Hall of Fame, but I'll add a gold star next to his name for that one. That pic made my life.

Endymion
03-30-2005, 08:59 PM
i also have one somewhere that says "stop! grammer time" and is a pic of kelsey grammer...

i'll dig it up.

JohnnyNemesis
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Shit, that would be even better!

Sunny
03-31-2005, 12:24 AM
This is where I officially declare, "fuck this shit". ='(