PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Rod - the meaning (by NIG)

Noodles is gay
04-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Well, it looks like Lightning Rod's gonna win that poll so i was just wondering what people actually think it's about? Obviously most of you have no clue and voted for it, so anyone got any clue?

Here's what i think:

It's about a wife who's beaten/raped by her husband, and because of this she's apathetic and perhaps (not sure) suicidal.

"I am waiting" - for the abusive husband to return.
"The sky will strike" - he'll no doubt hit her when he does return
"My apologies are forever lost" - she tried to apologize to him for being his wife but he don't give a damn.
"hope...it's a waste of time" - no escape so she's given up.
"look to the stars and ask why" - looks to God/heaven in utter dismay
"teach my dark heart to feel" - she's lost all feeling after years of abuse. People considering suicide often say they cannot 'feel' anymore.
"IT's been raining and now i will pay" - husband will beat her up because the rain has angred him.

So anyway that's what i think and i used quotes to back it up too - post what you think both of my opinion and your own ones.

Jen.

burning-the-high-life
04-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Well, it looks like Lightning Rod's gonna win that poll so i was just wondering what people actually think it's about? Obviously most of you have no clue and voted for it, so anyone got any clue?

Here's what i think:

It's about a wife who's beaten/raped by her husband, and because of this she's apathetic and perhaps (not sure) suicidal.

"My apologies are forever lost" - she tried to apologize to him for being his wife but he don't give a damn.
"teach my dark heart to feel" - she's lost all feeling after years of abuse. People considering suicide often say they cannot 'feel' anymore.
"IT's been raining and now i will pay" - husband will beat her up because the rain has angred him.

So anyway that's what i think and i used quotes to back it up too - post what you think both of my opinion and your own ones.

Jen.

dude that was some deep #### thats what i would guess its about too, or something like that.

Noodles is gay
04-05-2005, 07:43 AM
dude that was some deep #### thats what i would guess its about too, or something like that.

Nah; tis not particularly deep - just like studying a poem.

Oh, and welcome to the board - i was in a sarcastic mood yesterday and now i must apologize. :p

burning-the-high-life
04-05-2005, 07:45 AM
its cool man don't worry about it

lightning rod rocks

pretty_fly_white_guy858
04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow. That was a pretty good definition of Lighting Rod......the song not a real lightning rod lol :p

Sinister
04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
me, I thought it could be about anyone who's suicidal, gotta listen 2 it again tho, but can't do that right now cuz I'm on a school comp... well see ya'll later !

Dexter1989
04-05-2005, 11:30 AM

Here's what i think:

Jen.
about the last line i dont think that "raining" means rain. I think it means the husband has had a bad day and will beat her up worse than normal days.
the rest is good

Noodles is gay
04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
about the last line i dont think that "raining" means rain. I think it means the husband has had a bad day and will beat her up worse than normal days.
the rest is good

yeah; the rain is symbolic of the bad day - good call. :D

HitoftheMillenium
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Impressed by how well it fared in the poll, I recently listened to this song for the first and it instantly became one of my favourites. I've been playing it quite often lately.

It's funny: My interpretation varies greatly from the one above.

The impression I received is that the song is very deep in meaning and is perhaps about a prominent, nearly mystical historical figure; or a fictional timeless character.

Here's my breakdown:

I am waiting
On a mountaintop
For the moment that the sky will strike
My apologies
Are forever lost
Soon to ashes in a flash of light

This part seems to suggest that the person is about to commit suicide and/or feels he (she) is about to die in vain.

Miles from away from me
Hope is fading soon
Gone forever it's a waste of time
My intentions
Like a sweeter room
Only bring to me a fading light

The person's cause has failed and intentions have been unfulfilled.

Locked up forever inside
I look to the stars and ask why
If they could just teach my dark heart to feel
All I've saved - why
Is thrown away

The person wishes that he or she had the capacity to be more compassionate toward people and less reckless and feels upset that his/her hard work and savings (political/military triumphs?) will go to waste

I am waning
Like a single bloom
Lost forever in the storm of life
My intentions
Like a sweeter room
Only bring to me a fading light

The person chose his/her direction and now feels that it was the wrong one, as it leads to destruction. The character feels disoriented and feels that despite his/her best efforts, he/she was not only unable to change the world (whether for the positive or negative), but has now become completely irrelevant. This can be summed up by the sentence: "Lost forever in the storm of life".

Locked up forever inside
If they could just show these wounds how to heal
Here I am - oh why
My last stand - oh why
And I know For all the rising and falling there's nothing to show

It's really the last two lines there that cause me to picture an epic character (someone of Napoleon's stature).

"My last stand" (Waterloo?)

"For all the rising and falling, there's nothing to show".

Also, the character is now wondering why his/her path has led to destruction.

Throw me down

It's been raining
And now I will pay
Woe is come to me

The character has accepted that there will be backlash against him/her.

I am the lightning rod

I am waiting
On a mountaintop
Oh above me
He will strike me!

Locked up forever inside
If they could just teach my dark heart to feel
All I am - oh why
My last stand - oh why
And I know
For all the rising and falling there's nothing to show

These lines reiterate previous points.

Jimbob2005
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
im jus guessing suicide

Revolver-2005?
04-05-2005, 02:36 PM
i was just thinkin...dude is getting ready to comit suicide by making himself a living lightning rod lol...

Italia311
04-05-2005, 03:16 PM
that first analysis had me fucking laughing on the floor. LOL. I think it was a good analysis...just the words you used in comparisson its fucking funny. Good Stuff.

Skate Rat 19
04-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Well maybe, but I thought it was just about being depressed because of constant being wrong and getting picked on or something. But it is definantly around there somewhere.

JohnnyNemesis
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Awesome interpretations, everyone! That was really cool, Jennyriffic, even though personally, I think the song is a bit more general than that. I just got back from a 9 hour day of continuous school and work, so I won't be able to break the song down as thoroughly now. Perhaps later!

OffspringMan00
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
the songs about suicide.

Julie
04-06-2005, 12:00 AM
With Offspring songs, you just gotta take them as is, you can't go out and expose that this songs means this... They don't have that much of a specific straight out meaning, it's a more of a personnal interpretation that every listener will have. Well that's my theory.

Hysteria
04-06-2005, 03:51 AM
I reckon its about a rod of lightning. Am I the only one who thinks that?

dirtybird
04-06-2005, 03:54 AM
What I love about this thread is that so many people seem sure of what it's about, but then it got the most votes to be explained. Wow.

wilsonkck
04-06-2005, 05:39 AM
Yep NIG that is some kick ass interpereting. I never really took a close look at that song but now you mention it it all fits. "My intentions like a sweeter room only bring to me a fading light" Like shes intended to make him happy with her but his good moods will end soon.

I hope dex really starts doin the posts more often id like to know at least his inspirations behind some songs. Does anyone think The Noose could be about soldiers in wars? Like "Our visions of glory have spiralled down the drain, the best of our intentions have come crashin down in flames" Kinda makes me think of misguided soldiers. That could make a good thread, a song analysis thread with a new song every week!

Noodles is gay
04-06-2005, 05:47 AM
^ Yeah, we could write our interpretations then Dexter could write his! :p

About the Noose; yeah i think soldiers fighting in a war, or even the Apocalypse brought on by a nuclear war? (Although that's probably taking it too far) :p

THREAD!!!

Awesome interpretations, everyone! That was really cool, Jennyriffic, even though personally, I think the song is a bit more general than that. I just got back from a 9 hour day of continuous school and work, so I won't be able to break the song down as thoroughly now. Perhaps later!

Jennyriffic! love it :D

I wrote that about 10 mins after waking up!