PDA

View Full Version : The Noose - the meaning (by NIG)

Noodles is gay
04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Tops to wilsonkck for the idea of doing this!

Does anyone think The Noose could be about soldiers in wars? Like "Our visions of glory have spiralled down the drain, the best of our intentions have come crashin down in flames" Kinda makes me think of misguided soldiers. That could make a good thread, a song analysis thread with a new song every week!

I totally agree with him there - it seems about soldiers' experiences in war (similar to out on patrol and tehran?) maybe even the 'last' war (i.e. the war which will inevitable follow a nuke being dropped)

So basically the evidence:

'We all end up forsaken' - they're helpless and gonna die
'Choosing our own way' - they make their own decisions about life and death; basically a kill or be killed idea?
'the future now incinerates' - there is only the present; these 'soldiers' have no future because they could be killed any second.
'best of our intentions comes crashing down in flames' - although they try, they try in vain. like they tried to save someone and failed?
'it's shallow living' they have no purpose in life now.

chorus is pretty self-explanatory!

'the tracers...are burning in the dust' - tracers are projectiles which can be observed in flight and are used in war.
'body's getting numb' - happens to soldiers
'now i lay you down' a comrade is dead
'put the coins in your eyes'(my fav. offspring line!) - the Greeks used to do this to dead people so they'd have money to pay Charon(boatman on the river Styx) with.

'no more' 'nothing' this war has destroyed everything.

Ok, yeah i think this song is plainly obvious what it's about but still that's just my thoughts (and Wilsonkck's too!). Comments?

I should write these for dexter! ;)

Jen

Tomo
04-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Yup, I agree. It's great!

offspringintenselyrock
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah great analysis- I hadn't thought of that one. :)

Orange County
04-06-2005, 10:36 AM
No. No. No

Mannen som blev en gris
04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
You're so smart. Or good at getting lyrics the wrong way....

offspringintenselyrock
04-06-2005, 10:44 AM
If you don't agree just put up your interpretation

Orange County
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
There just dark lyrics, depressing if you will.

You say its about soldiers/war...thats wubbish.

+ Watch the DVD you get with Splinter, or im sure it's kicking around somewhere on the intraweb, Dexter says so himself...SO THERE! :eek:

original_psycho
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree with Jenny. It all fits in.
Bravo, Jen. Keep up the good work :)

offspringintenselyrock
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM

+ Watch the DVD you get with Splinter, or im sure it's kicking around somewhere on the intraweb, Dexter says so himself...SO THERE! :eek:

DVD with Splinter? Do you mean putting it in the PC or that you got an actual DVD with it?

Orange County
04-06-2005, 12:30 PM
The latter

Noodles is gay
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM

so wait...you think that it's just a load of words put together because they rhyme? :eek:

I don't think so - lyrics, like poems, usually have some deeper meaning.

Noodles is gay
04-06-2005, 12:33 PM
You're so smart. Or good at getting lyrics the wrong way....

lol yeah - i want Dexter to correct me if i'm wrong though!

It's just like analysing a poem anyway...

JohnnyNemesis
04-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Songs are always open to interpretation.

offspringintenselyrock
04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
The latter
:eek: i didnt get a dvd with splinter!

crrrN
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Great analysing there.
I think if you can read lyrics, of any song, in any particular theme, they're good lyrics. Like the noose has. It also could be something, i dunno, maybe like a bad marriage or something (with a little imagination, of course)

Orange County
04-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok, I actually went and listened to The Noose and I can actually see what you mean now, you have to think deep if you know what I mean....

The NO MORE! EVER! part kinda reminds of the 'no war' campaign. :)

Good spot dude. :)

Jackish
04-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Ok, I actually went and listened to The Noose and I can actually see what you mean now, you have to think deep if you know what I mean....

The NO MORE! EVER! part kinda reminds of the 'no war' campaign. :)

Good spot dude. :)

Hmmm yeah! Thats true! Even if the song was written about war or not originally, it certainly ties in almost perfectly! Sheds new light on the song don't it...

Sinister
04-06-2005, 04:01 PM
NIG, you're one of the few clever pplz in here ! lol ! personally I don't really go and think of the deep stuff behind the songs, I just enjoy them and sing them and try to play the bass parts... but I think I'm gonna try and do some analysis...

GJ with the war thing !

Skate Rat 19
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
(my fav. offspring line!)

That line is awsome

Noodles is gay
04-06-2005, 05:38 PM
^ yeah, if you look i actually ended the inverted commas before i made that comment. :cool:

Any suggestions for the next 'NIG on song'? :p

Mannen som blev en gris
04-07-2005, 08:18 AM
You got a dvd with Splinter? No... Where did you buy your version? The only thing is the Da Hui video that's on the cd. But you said it was a real dvd....hm....I think you're wrong.

Orange County
04-07-2005, 08:39 AM
http://www.megcd.com/Images/offspring.jpg

Satisified? :rolleyes:

Mannen som blev en gris
04-07-2005, 08:40 AM
You could've said it was a limited edition.:p But I belive you now.

dirtybird
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
^ yeah, if you look i actually ended the inverted commas before i made that comment. :cool:

Any suggestions for the next 'NIG on song'? :p

Kick Him When He's Down.

Amanda
04-07-2005, 01:54 PM
There's barely a "wrong way" of anylizing a song. It all depends on the state of mind, point of view, and general opinions of the person analyzing. So fuck every1 who said other ppl's interpretations were wrong. Stop trying to make other ppl think and act like u, u brainwashing mindcontroling media-product! And i agree with the soldiers analisis of the song. It can be understood in that manner, in fact that definition fits in pretty well. Great thing about intelligent lyrics is that they have the advantage of providing the listeners with a kind of challenge, to use their god given brains and form their own opinions and thoughts. So screw all the "hit me baby one more time" and "no strings attached" of the world"!!!! screw the Bitchneys and the Hillary sucks!!! We have too much intelligence to be listening to that crap...

Noodles is gay
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
^ Well said

*applauds*

Kick Him When He's Down.

You serious? I will then...later.

dirtybird
04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
^ Well said

*applauds*

You serious? I will then...later.

I will be your butt budy for a night...

PresidentKiller
04-08-2005, 12:12 AM
That's pretty good NIG. :)

notoriousdoc
04-08-2005, 03:52 AM
There's barely a "wrong way" of anylizing a song. It all depends on the state of mind, point of view, and general opinions of the person analyzing. So fuck every1 who said other ppl's interpretations were wrong. Stop trying to make other ppl think and act like u, u brainwashing mindcontroling media-product! And i agree with the soldiers analisis of the song. It can be understood in that manner, in fact that definition fits in pretty well. Great thing about intelligent lyrics is that they have the advantage of providing the listeners with a kind of challenge, to use their god given brains and form their own opinions and thoughts. So screw all the "hit me baby one more time" and "no strings attached" of the world"!!!! screw the Bitchneys and the Hillary sucks!!! We have too much intelligence to be listening to that crap...

we bow down and offer you myrrh frankincense and a club me cd for that bravo!! :) :) :D

Sinister
04-08-2005, 10:17 AM
well said amanda, cant b bothered 2 quote u but oh well, you & NIG are 2 of the few clever pplz on Offspring forums !