PDA

View Full Version : Taxes are an asshole

nieh
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I went to get my taxes done today, expecting to get a nice refund. Last year I got about $900, the year before was just a little bit less, so I was expecting something around $1000. As soon as I hand the guy my W-2s, he tells me "Your company wasn't taking out enough taxes for you. You're actually going to owe money on taxes. Probably a little over $600." I'm having a shit time with money right now. As I'm sure I mentioned on here, a few weeks back someone broke my driver side mirror while I was sleeping. I have to pay $150 to get that fixed, PLUS I got a ticket (roughly another $150) for driving without my mirror when I was trying to buy stuff to fix it on my own. Then last week I got a flat tire and had to spend $470 to buy a whole new set (because they were all old and worn out). Now the money I was expecting to get back from taxes to get myself out of the whole 'danger zone' I've been in and maybe spend sign up for some classes, not only am I not getting, but I actually OWE $600. I swear I want to hurt someone.

On the plus side, my friend's dad won a hotel + amusement park tickets for 4 (and airfare for 2) in Orlando, and since he's not into that stuff, he gave it to my friend who's letting me go with him. I have to pay for my own flight because the 2 plane tickets are gonna be for him and his g/f, but yeah...that should be fun.

Faded Soul
04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
hmmm you should spend the $40 or $50 for TurboTax. instead of paying $150 to have it done by a guy. it's easy as hell. :)

nieh
04-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't trust myself with something like that.

Faded Soul
04-07-2005, 10:08 PM
you can't fuck anything up with turbotax. wouldn't surprise me if tax preparers used it.

dirtybird
04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
My dad's turbotax is sitting out on the desk at the moment.

nieh
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
apparently one of the people that works at Jackson Hewitt used to work in my building and he recognized me as "the guy who dressed up as Harry Potter" as soon as I walked in, even though I don't think I even look like I did 2 years ago.

dirtybird
04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
That's embarrasing...

Endymion
04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
;p whatever you do, don't be too proud to borrow cash from your parents if you need it.

Linda
04-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Ohhhh, the joys of adulthood! :D

Endymion
04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
i've very tempted to just not turn my stuff in and let them audit me. i've got nothing to hide thus far, and i'm really lazy... so it sounds good to me.

nieh
04-08-2005, 05:00 AM
my friend told me last night that he THINKS I should be able to pay it off in installments rather than all at once. If I can do that, then I'll be fine. If not, then I'll have to bug someone for money.

nieh
04-08-2005, 04:35 PM
WOO! I can pay it off over the course of the next year! That rocks.

But yeah, the person at Jackson Hewitt told me the problem probably came from the fact that I probably told my company I was claiming 1 dependent instead of 0 like I should have. So I went in to work today and went to my personnel thing online and it said I was claiming THREE dependents, not just one. So even if I was stupid and put 1 on mistake, they were still stupid and added two more to make it that much worse. I hate my job.

Endymion
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
those dickholes!

Linda
04-08-2005, 06:44 PM
WOO! I can pay it off over the course of the next year! That rocks.

But yeah, the person at Jackson Hewitt told me the problem probably came from the fact that I probably told my company I was claiming 1 dependent instead of 0 like I should have. So I went in to work today and went to my personnel thing online and it said I was claiming THREE dependents, not just one. So even if I was stupid and put 1 on mistake, they were still stupid and added two more to make it that much worse. I hate my job.

They can only base the taxes deducted from your paycheck on the number of dependents you put on your W-9 form. You must have put 3, or they could be in trouble for that. You should ask them to see your W-9, just to see how many are marked on it.

Panzerfaust92
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Oh wait a second. At first glance, I thought the title was "Texans are an Asshole," and I was going to defend the honor of my cousins, but hey, it's all good.

Faded Soul
04-14-2005, 02:14 AM
well.....I started the turbo tax process. looks like I'll be getting back, a around 650 in Federal. apposed to what my W-2 said, I should have gotten around $ 875. I'll continue on with it tomarrow with my mom. this whole thing with car registration taxes, and sales taxes etc is making my head explode. I'm not even sure if my dad claimed my car or not, since he's first on the loan and registration, as I am second.

Mota Boy
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Did you actually have to pay for a that ticket? It should be fairly easily contested, what with it recently being broken and all.

Diamond Dee
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Did you actually have to pay for a that ticket? It should be fairly easily contested, what with it recently being broken and all.I was thinking the same thing. Here if you receive a fix-it ticket you can have the item fixed, take the vehicle to the police station and have the ticket written off. You still have to pay a $10 or $15 processing fee but that's nothing compared to the actual price of the ticket typically.