PDA

View Full Version : Americana Vs American Idiot...

HitoftheMillenium
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Compare the two songs and their corresponding albums here.

I haven't bought American Idiot and have heard only the three singles from it, so I won't personally compare the albums.

I prefer Americana to American Idiot. The songs perfectly reflects aspects of American culture and society and is suitably fast-paced. I can understand why the band didn't make a single for the song, but if they, it could have been brilliant.

Post your thoughts...

Jimbob2005
04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Americana - song and album win hands down

CommonRider
04-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Americana is better by a little I think, the title songs are probabaly equal, but Americana the CD has alot more standout songs than American Idiot. American Idiot only has American Idiot, Blvd of Broken Dreams, Holiday, and Jesus of Suburbia (the first 4 songs) that actually are great stand outs. Plus Americana has The Kids Arent Alright, one of my favorite songs of all time, I think its better than Blvd of Broken Dreams.

BuddyHolly
04-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Americana is a way better song. American Idiot sounds like a funsong while Americana is a really angy song like it should be.

dexterisMYman
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Americana is a way better song. American Idiot sounds like a funsong while Americana is a really angy song like it should be.
i agree plus AI sucked and i hate that cd and wanna kill Green Day

Renegade6
04-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Compare the two songs and their corresponding albums here. I hate you for making another Greenday related thread.

ruroken
04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
It's fucking GREEN DAY you econgenital FUCKTARDS!!!!!!!!!!! JESUS YOU PEOPLE ARE DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda
04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
They both rock, can't compare them. Greenday and Offspring are 2 of my favorite bands (notice avatar hehehe :D ).

ruroken
04-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Favorite band my fucking ass if you don't know how to fucking SPACE!!!!!

Amanda
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I always space lol I just happen to be a lil drunk and typing horribly fast. Chill now ruroken...

ruroken
04-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Okay. I'll chill because you're nice.

Amanda
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Nice?! Oh man, im never drinking alcohol again...

gnzdeejay
04-08-2005, 06:31 PM
i think we don't need to compare these two album (or song?). i agree that americana (album) have more good songs. but i think american idiot is not a bad album. But after Conspiracy of One, Offspring haven't record a good album. Splinter is not bad, but I think Offspring is not REAL Offspring in Splinter. Only Hit That, Can't get my head around you, and Spare me the details were a good listening.
With their American idiot, Greenday have more anttention now.
So, wake up, Dexter!

Unnatural Disaster
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I like Americana better than American Idiot

Embodude2004
04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
American idiot.

Green days hosting snl on nbc, saturday night live

lint
04-08-2005, 07:41 PM
i love green day, but i hate american idiot though. i think it is their worst album ever.

americana is better.

Noodles is gay
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
There really is NO contest here at all; Americana

American Idiot: "Well fuck you!" :cool:

turn it down
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm going with americana because I like every song on that cd. I only like about 5 on AI. but both good cds.

AlphaDrake
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Americana better, Green day is good but all the posers who listen to them only because its cool ruin them, the offspring doesnt have any (which is good) but thats what's killing them....no advertisement

suicide_samurai
04-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Americana.

I didn't listen to American Idiot, but I'm sure it sucked hard.

AlphaDrake
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
It's really not that bad, American idiot, Holiday, and Boulivard of Broken Dreams are way over played but its still good...

billiejoe87_greenday
04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Anyone who said Americana is fucking crazy. American Idiot kicks it's ass. Americana was the point where Offspring lost their sense of creativity and lost all their credibility. Pretty Fly and Why dont't you get a job belong on a busted cd. American Idiot has credibility which came with a lot of hard work and creativity. Green Day have proved they can do more than just write catchy two and a half minute songs.

And dont think im an Offspring basher, because i have all their albums and believe them to be a great band, 2nd only to Green Day.

sebaspunk
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
i like americana better both song and album because offspring its just better than greenday

Homer
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm Homer.

billiejoe87_greenday
04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm Homer.

Yeah and im Billiejoe87_greenday. What is your point?

Homer
04-08-2005, 11:13 PM
What is your point?

Well, sometimes, when people meet me, they might be drunk. So they'll end up forgetting about it. So I have to remind people... just incase they were drunk. I can't be taking any chances.

billiejoe87_greenday
04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, sometimes, when people meet me, they might be drunk. So they'll end up forgetting about it. So I have to remind people... just incase they were drunk. I can't be taking any chances.

Well, at least you have your reasons.

Homer
04-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Well, I always come prepared.

stathis21
04-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Americana for sure!!

Satankaban
04-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Americana is much better than American Idiot. Americana is the second best album by The Offspring (better is only Ixnay!) and American Idiot is the worst album by Green Day. And Offspring is my favourite band, so I think Americana is much better.

billiejoe87_greenday
04-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Americana is much better than American Idiot. Americana is the second best album by The Offspring (better is only Ixnay!) and American Idiot is the worst album by Green Day. And Offspring is my favourite band, so I think Americana is much better.

As if American Idiot is Green Day's worst. It's a great album, possibly second only to Dookie. But definately no.1 in terms of it's creativity.

original_psycho
04-09-2005, 02:34 AM
I choose Americana over American Idiot, as songs.
But to me, American Idiot is way better than Americana, as albums.

That was funny. I almost spit out my youghurt. I'm weird.

billiejoe87_greenday
04-09-2005, 02:38 AM

Finally someone who agrees with me.

nameless
04-09-2005, 03:13 AM
americana - the song and the album - are much better.

the only thing that that put a downer on americana for me, was obviously the pretty fly, shes got issues etc.

the other thing is american idiot is just overplayed and is hardly a true classic!

Jimbob2005
04-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Pretty Fly and Why dont't you get a job belong on a busted cd.

I have got bored of the album and especially those two songs to the point that i am starting to think they really suck

But DO NOT EVER compare them to Busted - you should go to hell for that

Otherwise, good on you for having all the offspring albums :)

Jimbob2005
04-09-2005, 07:16 AM
americana - the song and the album - are much better.

the only thing that that put a downer on americana for me, was obviously the pretty fly, shes got issues etc.

the other thing is american idiot is just overplayed and is hardly a true classic!
I actually do agree with you there

Jimbob2005
04-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Well actually I am bored of both albums

A.I. got boring pretty quickly except a few songs such as Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends and several others (i can't be arsed to list them), and I listened to Americana too much - it was my fave as a whole album to listen to all the way through, and now I am just fed up of that and Conspiracy of One, so both albums are boring

As i prefer the offspring to green day, i chose Americana and the actual song (since the actual A.I song was overplayed)

lint
04-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Americana.

I didn't listen to American Idiot, but I'm sure it sucked hard.

Lets just say that it isn't their best work.

lint
04-09-2005, 08:25 AM

I agree 96%. American Idiot is Green Day's worst album period. End of story. Kerplunk, 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, Dookie, Nimrod and Insomniac past American Idiot by miles, and if anyone doesnt agree with me, then you're not a really great fan of Green Day.

Americana is really good, but i would put Smash and Ixnay ahead of it.

gradeA
04-09-2005, 08:28 AM
let's just say that the worst song on americana kicks the ass of the best song on american idiot.

gradeA
04-09-2005, 08:30 AM
...as for the title tracks, americana whoops american idiot in everything except popularity among queers and teenage girls.

lint
04-09-2005, 08:31 AM
let's just say that the worst song on americana kicks the ass of the best song on american idiot.

Agreed. I don't think you can compare the likes of Americana to the likes of American Idiot.

nameless
04-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Well actually I am bored of both albums

A.I. got boring pretty quickly except a few songs such as Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends and several others (i can't be arsed to list them), and I listened to Americana too much - it was my fave as a whole album to listen to all the way through, and now I am just fed up of that and Conspiracy of One, so both albums are boring

As i prefer the offspring to green day, i chose Americana and the actual song (since the actual A.I song was overplayed)

americana in my opinion is a classic, im still listening to it to the present day rather than just now and again!

C01 had its bright points but by far was their worst release!

Jimbob2005
04-09-2005, 09:40 AM
americana in my opinion is a classic, im still listening to it to the present day rather than just now and again!

C01 had its bright points but by far was their worst release!
I gotta admit CO1 is my least fave at the mo

billiejoe87_greenday
04-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I agree 96%. American Idiot is Green Day's worst album period. End of story. Kerplunk, 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, Dookie, Nimrod and Insomniac past American Idiot by miles, and if anyone doesnt agree with me, then you're not a really great fan of Green Day.

Americana is really good, but i would put Smash and Ixnay ahead of it.

As if. Ive got all Green Day albums and they're all awesome, but american idiot is only beaten by Dookie. Don't put a band down when they take a giant step forward.

ruroken
04-09-2005, 05:38 PM
What a dumbshit!! You're not a fan if you don't like EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Punk_Conspiracy
04-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Someone said a couple of pages back that American Idiot only had a few standout tracks. Well I agree with them, and besides those tracks mentioned all the other songs sound the same.

Americana > American Idiot

GreenTerror
04-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Why in God's name would you even compare those two albums? Do you have any idea what an insult that is to The Offspring?

Jimbob2005
04-10-2005, 02:26 AM
What a dumbshit!! You're not a fan if you don't like EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
Actually, some offspring songs I am not so keen on and I dont like Me And My Old Lady yet I am still a big fan of the offspring

Now calm down dude!

lint
04-10-2005, 07:35 AM
As if. Ive got all Green Day albums and they're all awesome, but american idiot is only beaten by Dookie. Don't put a band down when they take a giant step forward.

I'm not putting Green Day down. I'm just saying that its not their best work. You say its 2nd to Dookie? Well, we all have our own opinions i guess. How do you judge that? By popularity? I judge by talent. You tell me which album holds more talent, the ever so popular American Idiot, or the forgotten Kerplunk!? I mean come on. Listen to the bass playing on No One Knows, 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? and One For The Razorbacks. The guitar work on Private Ale, Christie Road, 2000 Light Years Away, and One Of My Lies. And the drum talent is just spread around everywhere on the cd. Now don't get me wrong, I like American Idiot. I'm a big Green Day fan, and i love all Green Day. Believe me. But i saw Green Day back in November, and there were 4 of them, Billie, Mike, Tre and some other guitarist who was doing all the solos. Billie played Good Riddance, as a solo and thats it. I just don't think that American Idiot is one of their best.

You say you have all the albums, my hats off to you. I know many people who only like American Idiot. They pay no attention to the slightly better stuff in the early days, so its nice to meet a fan who has everything and can put out his own opinion. I mean, these posers only pay attention to the latest. I try to steer them in the direction of other Green Day albums, just to make them a bigger fan, but they just dont have the interest. They are too busy listening to Boulevard of Broken Dreams (by the way that is Green Day's worst song on American Idiot). People just dont have the interest anymore...

Americana is better than American Idiot.

I don't know
04-10-2005, 12:01 PM
americana is so much better that american idiot

gradeA
04-10-2005, 12:08 PM
As if.
i rest my case.

billiejoe87_greenday
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm not putting Green Day down. I'm just saying that its not their best work. You say its 2nd to Dookie? Well, we all have our own opinions i guess. How do you judge that? By popularity? I judge by talent. You tell me which album holds more talent, the ever so popular American Idiot, or the forgotten Kerplunk!? I mean come on. Listen to the bass playing on No One Knows, 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? and One For The Razorbacks. The guitar work on Private Ale, Christie Road, 2000 Light Years Away, and One Of My Lies. And the drum talent is just spread around everywhere on the cd. Now don't get me wrong, I like American Idiot. I'm a big Green Day fan, and i love all Green Day. Believe me. But i saw Green Day back in November, and there were 4 of them, Billie, Mike, Tre and some other guitarist who was doing all the solos. Billie played Good Riddance, as a solo and thats it. I just don't think that American Idiot is one of their best.

You say you have all the albums, my hats off to you. I know many people who only like American Idiot. They pay no attention to the slightly better stuff in the early days, so its nice to meet a fan who has everything and can put out his own opinion. I mean, these posers only pay attention to the latest. I try to steer them in the direction of other Green Day albums, just to make them a bigger fan, but they just dont have the interest. They are too busy listening to Boulevard of Broken Dreams (by the way that is Green Day's worst song on American Idiot). People just dont have the interest anymore...

Americana is better than American Idiot.

Im really glad that you are at least being mature about all this. Everyone does have their own opinion, and i actually judge albums by creativity not popularity, otherwise i wouldn't own any green day or offspring pre dookie/smash or own green day's insomniac. I just really like the american idiot album. And yes it is sad to see them live and see girls who belong in a good charlotte concert and only own one green day album being there, but what are you going to do, unfortunately thats what comes after being played on MTV, and i do realise that an offspring forum is the worst place imaginable to try and compare a green day album to an offspring one. But i like to think everyone has the right to say what they think.

lint
04-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Im really glad that you are at least being mature about all this. Everyone does have their own opinion, and i actually judge albums by creativity not popularity, otherwise i wouldn't own any green day or offspring pre dookie/smash or own green day's insomniac. I just really like the american idiot album. And yes it is sad to see them live and see girls who belong in a good charlotte concert and only own one green day album being there, but what are you going to do, unfortunately thats what comes after being played on MTV, and i do realise that an offspring forum is the worst place imaginable to try and compare a green day album to an offspring one. But i like to think everyone has the right to say what they think.

Well, ok, I admit its good. What other punk band put together a rock opera? Thats something different. But you have a point when it comes to creativity. Once again my hat is off to you.

But, i still think Kerplunk is better :D

billiejoe87_greenday
04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, ok, I admit its good. What other punk band put together a rock opera? Thats something different. But you have a point when it comes to creativity. Once again my hat is off to you.

But, i still think Kerplunk is better :D

Kerplunk is actually the one Green day album i have trouble listening to. I dont mind 1039 smoothed out slappy hours because i love the song "Green Day" but listening to Kerplunk is very hard when the one really standout song "welcome to paradise" is performed better on Dookie.

lint
04-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Kerplunk is actually the one Green day album i have trouble listening to. I dont mind 1039 smoothed out slappy hours because i love the song "Green Day" but listening to Kerplunk is very hard when the one really standout song "welcome to paradise" is performed better on Dookie.

1039 SOSH is also really good. Green Day is an awesome song. Love the bassline. That album and Kerplunk are my 2 favorites....I'm different from everyone else :D

ruroken
04-10-2005, 06:53 PM
1039 SOSH is also really good. Green Day is an awesome song. Love the bassline. That album and Kerplunk are my 2 favorites....I'm different from everyone else :D
Bullshit. I like Kerplunk a lot too!!

0r4ng3
04-10-2005, 08:07 PM

You wanna know different? i think american idiot is green day's 2nd only to (not dookie, but) Insomniac! Dookie is my 4th favorite GD cd behind Nimrod!

...this is the point where all other GD fans kick my ass...

btw, americana is far superior
________
Lexus gs specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Lexus_GS)

billiejoe87_greenday
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
You wanna know different? i think american idiot is green day's 2nd only to (not dookie, but) Insomniac! Dookie is my 4th favorite GD cd behind Nimrod!

Im not gonna kick your ass, mainly because i dont know where you are. A lot of people (Before American Idiot) said that Nimrod was Green Day's best. I never understood those people. Your the 1st person ever to say Insomniac was the best prior to American Idiot but i also wreckon it's a sick album, and one of the most underrated rock albums in history. Actually come to think about it "Rolling stone" have given it more stars than any other Green Day record (4 out of 5) so it must appeal to some people. I absolutely love Stuart and the ave though of Insomniac, i believe it to be one of the best songs Green Day has released to date.

Guillermo90
04-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Thats a very tough question and i dont know if i have the answer to it, and stop saying that green day is a bad band god dammit, face the fact they are a good band...shit. Anyways, i think I prefer American Idiot even though Offspring is my favorite band the American Idiot album is just... genius. First off, a rock opera when i really wanted one which i love rock operas they are the shit. The Wall is one of my favorite albums ROCK OPERAS! Also not only was it a rock opera but they fit in so much into that story, metaphors and everything its just genius, Armstrong is getting hella better at his lyric writing. And i like it because of its timing, couldnt be any better... Green Day is the only band who are for one speaking up and i dont see any other band do that. I mean obviously NOFX but, its alright to say shit like that when your in an underground punk band, Green Day is mainstreem and if your in a band you gotta think if anyone even wants to hear this. So they took a pretty big risk there and im glad its a big hit.

Guillermo90
04-10-2005, 08:31 PM

FUCK YES!! INSOMNIAC IS THE SHIT! Thats my favorite album too! ALRIGHT!

lint
04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Bullshit. I like Kerplunk a lot too!!

Kick ass!

i wouldn't kick your ass because I LOVE INSOMNIAC! And i'd love to listen to it, its just that i misplaced it somewhere and its been lost for months...lol.

this is my opinion of an album list of Green Day's discography.

1. Kerplunk!
2. 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
3. Insomniac
4. Nimrod
5. Dookie
6. Shenanigans
7. International Superhits! (my first cd)
8. Warning
9. American Idiot

Dr.Faustus
04-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Americana, but its a close call.

jesusofsuburbia3
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
most definitley, american idiot. its just better, i dunno. it has a true concept and story that i think is really good and relate to, and they just rock out for the whole hour. they tried a lot more things in this album, instruments, styles, tre and mike both sing, is purely amazing. americana is good, yes, but american idiot is just a better listen to me.

on a kinda of side note...
i think teenage girls will always ruin music and music will become popular due to mass media (mtv and fuse), so i learn to just like whatever im listening to and say FUCK MTV