PDA

View Full Version : Moving

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Any of you ever moved long distance?

Like, moving 330km across the country. Imagine you have a house with 5 rooms, bathroom, kitchen, cellar, attic. It's funny to find so many things I used to think were gone, so many useless things too and much crap that makes you go "Aw, where did this come from?".

Other than that everything is a huge mess, people get stressed out and you experience random silly injuries like I just had something to fall on my toes today. It hurt like a bitch but I couldn't stop laughing because it was sort of amusing.

Come on, share moving stories. I need to relax a bit.

Panzerfaust92
04-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I moved from New Jersey to Iowa when I was 11

nitropenguin!
04-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, Panzerfaust, that was... an enlightening story.

Can't say I have any stories, Sim =/ I've been living in the same neighborhood, same house, for 12 years.

Panzerfaust92
04-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm a real sentimental type when it comes to stories

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Can't say I have any stories, Sim =/ I've been living in the same neighborhood, same house, for 12 years.

Hehe, that was gold.

My neighbourhood's alright. Not like I'll miss anyone though except for a few relatives. All my friends live elsewhere so it's gonna be easier like that.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Again: I love you sometimes.

nieh
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I moved from New Jersey to...someplace else in New Jersey. Packing's a lot less stressful when you realize that about 50% of everything in your room isn't actually worth keeping and you get to throw it out.

nitropenguin!
04-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Johnny, this sometimes nonsense frightens me.

Hey Sim, I haven't heard about this moving thing 'til now. Where are you moving to?

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 11:58 AM
I moved from New Jersey to...someplace else in New Jersey. Packing's a lot less stressful when you realize that about 50% of everything in your room isn't actually worth keeping and you get to throw it out.

Oh yeah, I just started doing that a few days ago. And then there's other people who function as stress factors. It eventually gets all funny.

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Johnny, this sometimes nonsense frightens me.

Hey Sim, I haven't heard about this moving thing 'til now. Where are you moving to?

Oh, I haven't babbled about this to you yet? From North to South to be closer to the capital. New house too. It sounds rather promising.

Izie
04-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I've moved... *counts* 3 times?

First time from my granny's house to my parent's, don't have any memories I'm willing to share about that.

Second time from one appartment to another... they're like 20m apart, so not much of a story there

Third time, I've moved 1700km, so you go figure :p I'm loving it, even though it was stressful as hell :/

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 12:09 PM
20m sound a lot easier.

And yes, yes. We know that 1700km thing real well. =)

Sunny
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
i moved from Poland to New York, so yes, quite long distance. And it was a huge huge pain. Not only is it creepy to basically.. pack your entire existence in a few suitcases, say "bye" to everything you know and move to a different country, hell, a different continent.. but also the amount of stress that comes with it is unbelievable. Did I forget anything? Is anything gonna break? What if I lose my luggage? How will I stay in touch with my family?

argh.. i hated it. good luck, love. At least you'll get to be with your family (am I right?)

this year i'm gonna have to move again, but this time from the lower east side to nolita. so, a few blocks. i'm dreading it though. I don't really like changes like that.

Izie
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
20m sound a lot easier.

And yes, yes. We know that 1700km thing real well. =)

Well you asked about moving :p I told ya about it :p

Izie
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't really like changes like that.

I'd move every few years, if that was a possibility, heh.

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks Sunnies. <3 Yes, it's a family thing. And good luck to you too.

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Me too, in fact. I can't stay on one place for a long time. It gets dull. I've moved a few times on my own. But when you actually move WITH family and the whole fucking house. Eh, not fun.

Sunny
04-09-2005, 12:14 PM

you sound like my boyfriend. :( it's in his fucking blood (his family has a habit of buying a house, remodelling it entirely, getting bored and moving again). and I fucking despise moving. I'm sentimental. I'm disorganized. I'm easily freaked out. In short, I can't handle pressure too well, and moving = pure pressure.

blargh. :[

Izie
04-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Aw, that's fun! I wanna move a lot!

*thinks of all the places she wants to live*

Woooooo, exciting!

Sunny
04-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I want to live in a lot of places too... I just wish I could press a button or something and teleport. with all of my stuff. without having to pack/clean/etc.

to give you an idea of how much i suck when it comes to relocating... every time I go somewhere on vacation, I cry like a baby when I have to leave, cuz I get used to places. And learn to love them.

someone kick me?

Izie
04-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Aw, no kicking, that's more normal than me... I have almost NO sentimental connection to places :/ I don't even miss Bg, 99.9% of the time. And when I do, I just miss the people, not the place.

Betty
04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
My family moved a lot when I was a kid. Five times up until I was about 8-9 I think. That kinda sucked for me since I sucked at being social and went to 4 different schools before grade 4. I was too young to remember the moving part really well but I think it was really stressful for my parents. They had 4 really young kids (I was the oldest). One time my mom moved the whole house by herself cause my dad was already in the new city working. And it was about... well... an 8 hour drive away. I mostly just remember wrapping glasses in newspaper.

I've moved a few times by myself for school. I moved to a city about 8 hours away again (what is that... 600km? 700?), so I basically packed my life with me (which isn't that much at the age of 18) but more than all the kids who go to school an hour away from home.

My best moving story: My parents and I took our van from their home to my home where I go to school and we had my bags of clothes, a vacuum, a kitchen table with 4 chairs, and a mattress and a boxspring, a dresser, amongst other little things. Yeah, in a van. I rode the whole way crouching under the mattress that extended over the middle seat. It was terrible.

I'd be terrified to do what Sunny did, to a new continent. I entertain the thought of going to school somewhere really far away at some point, but I'd be so scared to leave all my possessions behind. I don't understand what people do with their stuff? Like, textbooks, and in my case CDs, a computer? My clothes alone would take up a ton of room and I barely have any. Do you just basically have to buy everything new?

wliethof
04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Just recently I moved from Arnhem to near Leiden, which is 133 km. my room needs painting and some things like proper cutlery and a closet.. I have to cook for myself which is quite annoying since I can cook about 5 different meals and am too lazy to try something else. I miss Arnhem when I'm bored all by myself in my room. Thats about it i think :p

the_GoDdEsS
04-09-2005, 12:40 PM
That sounds like a lot of moving you've gone through, Betty. Yeah, the being social plays a role too. I used to be rather shy around people until a few years ago. Now it's all good because most of my friends live in the South anyway as I went to uni there. So for me things will be a lot easier down there.

Jesus
04-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Any of you ever moved long distance?
Nope

Like, moving 330km across the country.
anything over 100 kilometers (south) would mean i'm in a different country. West,east and north it only takes 4-5 kilometers.

Come on, share moving stories. I need to relax a bit.
I'm sorry :(

RXP
04-10-2005, 04:38 AM
to give you an idea of how much i suck when it comes to relocating... every time I go somewhere on vacation, I cry like a baby when I have to leave, cuz I get used to places. And learn to love them.

I got well emo when leaving my dorm last year. I only moved down the road tho into a house. Gonna have to move again in June but I'm looking foward to it cause I really don't like this house, although I love my room it's huge.

I've nver moved main home tho, still living in the same place I was born.

the_GoDdEsS
04-10-2005, 05:20 AM
I got well emo when leaving my dorm last year. I only moved down the road tho into a house. Gonna have to move again in June but I'm looking foward to it cause I really don't like this house, although I love my room it's huge.

I've nver moved main home tho, still living in the same place I was born.

I've moved hostels a few times. I'm used to that but it's such minor moving compared to this.
Plus, even moving in/out in Berlin was quite annoying but the time in between was worth every piece of coin and all the trouble before/after leaving.

Kenny, that sounds funny. 100 and a different country.

Oh God, I have currently two huge cartons in the middle of my room and am just glaring at the shit because I haven't packed half of my stuff yet. Too many things. Random fact: Dictionaries are fat bitches!!

Jimbob2005
04-10-2005, 05:23 AM
Recently during the easter hols, I went to scotland for a few days with the family, and there and back was 9 FUCKIN HOURS in the car - my ass was hurting SOOO much afterwards!!!!!!!!!!! Thats about...god know how many miles from the Leicestershire region to the northern area of Scotland around Fort William - 600 miles??? Anyone from britain any idea how many miles is that?

Izie
04-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Kenny, that sounds funny. 100 and a different country.

Yups, it IS funny. Especially to me, as it takes... 13 hours to get to the seaside in Serbia? Well it takes around 30 mins here. Tiny nice country, Iza likey!

And deal with your diaries, you made em, you move em :p

the_GoDdEsS
04-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Dictionaries. My angsty teenage diaries from ages ago are tiny but still worth a read.

Goddamnit. If I weren't so freaking tired I'd start kicking stuff just now. Ack. Maybe I will anyway.

Izie
04-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Yes, I'm so well rested I read diaries instead of dictionaries. Kill me?

the_GoDdEsS
04-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Pfft, they do sound similar. *smacks you with a light carton* I lurve ya.

Izie
04-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Ow. *frown*

I lurve ya too, though.

the_GoDdEsS
04-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Come on, that was a very gentle love smack.

wheelchairman
04-10-2005, 05:41 AM
What about you there Sims, you must have some good moving stories to share. Since you are in the process of it right now.

The first time I moved was when I was 8 months old, from Hillerød Denmark to Fairfax County, Virginia. Then when I was 3 from Fairfax County, Virginia to Eugene, Oregon. I remember we drove across the country in two cars. We used walkie-talkies to communicate. And I remember my mom gave me a whole lot of snacks and we spent time trying to tease my dad.

Then when I was 14 we moved from Eugene, Oregon to Copenhagen Denmark. My father was definintely overstressed. You can tell this, because some nights he didn't sleep at all. And then he and my mom would just drink a case of beer. We moved practically everything, it took us a month or so to unpack. The first night in our new apartment, I slept in a sleeping bag on a wooden floor.

Izie
04-10-2005, 05:42 AM
It came as a surprise though!

Jimbob2005
04-10-2005, 05:47 AM
What about you there Sims, you must have some good moving stories to share. Since you are in the process of it right now.

The first time I moved was when I was 8 months old, from Hillerød Denmark to Fairfax County, Virginia. Then when I was 3 from Fairfax County, Virginia to Eugene, Oregon. I remember we drove across the country in two cars. We used walkie-talkies to communicate. And I remember my mom gave me a whole lot of snacks and we spent time trying to tease my dad.

Then when I was 14 we moved from Eugene, Oregon to Copenhagen Denmark. My father was definintely overstressed. You can tell this, because some nights he didn't sleep at all. And then he and my mom would just drink a case of beer. We moved practically everything, it took us a month or so to unpack. The first night in our new apartment, I slept in a sleeping bag on a wooden floor.
*slaps himself*

Oh move house, i thought you meant what's the longest distance you travelled

JoY
04-10-2005, 05:50 AM
I moved from one side of the Netherlands (East) to the other (West) two years ago, but seeing the size of the Netherlands, that isn't very impressing. it sure was an experience, though. I think you know, Simness. Amsterdam is a whole other world, than the small, little, uptight place I grew up in.

Izie
04-10-2005, 05:57 AM
I moved from one side of the Netherlands (East) to the other (West) two years ago, but seeing the size of the Netherlands, that isn't very impressing. it sure was an experience, though. I think you know, Simness. Amsterdam is a whole other world, than the small, little, uptight place I grew up in.

Mine is the other way around. Essen is the small, little, uptight place, and I grew in the center of the city baby!

God I was bored in the first few months!

the_GoDdEsS
04-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Anybody seen the stupid adhesive tape I can't seem to find in this mess?

Oh God, Per. I just thought of you moving from overseas and stuff. Eek.
Heh, next week I'll sleep on a mattress for a few nights. That's gonna be funny.

Other than that, no good stories yet. It's just the stress is making me act all silly at times if I'm not frustrated.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Sigh. I'd love to move away from here. Australia or Canada seem infinitely more attractive than England.

Sigh.

Sinister
04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I live in Canada. AND IT'S FRIGGIN COLD. close to -40 sometimes in the winter. so you'll be freezing your ass off

RXP
04-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Sigh. I'd love to move away from here. Australia or Canada seem infinitely more attractive than England.

Sigh.

Get out then country then?

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Someday, I might. Can't right now, being on £200 a month.

Tired_Of_You
04-10-2005, 09:21 AM
The first time I moved was when I was 3 years old so I don't remember it.

The second time was 6 years ago. I really didn't want to leave my house, my friends, etc. I used to live in Montreal, which is a big city and now I almost live in the countryside. My mother was probably really stressed but don't really remember. I remember that my father was very frustrated because my parents are divorced and he thought he couldn't see me anymore. Anyway, at first I really hated to move, but now, even though I like Montreal the best, I think it was a good thing.

When I'll leave home, I know it'll be probably to live in Montreal at first, but I hope I'll be able to travel a lot and maybe to live in another continent for some time. I hate to be always at the same place, I need change.

RXP
04-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Someday, I might. Can't right now, being on £200 a month.

Get a decent job?

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm only 16, the job market is rather limited.

RXP
04-10-2005, 10:16 AM
You could be a hooker?

I could get you a job that paid more than that. Right now. No joke. It's in a call centre on Broad Street.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-10-2005, 10:18 AM
No worries, I quite like where I work. Free cups of tea. Oh fucking yes.

RXP
04-10-2005, 10:20 AM
We get free drinks too, water, herbal teas, tea, cofee, cappautiono, mocca, orange juice. It's cause we're a radio staiton (100.7 Heart FM omg)

Betty
04-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Haha WCM, I totally remember sleeping on floors, or in empty rooms with just a bed. I vaguely remember bed frames, so I'd imagine my parents were pretty good at setting the beds up quickly.

When I moved into my most recent house (with my family), there was a bush behind the house and that was pretty exciting and I went exploring the first day we got there and I got lost! Not really lost, but a little lost. In my own backyard. It was scary.

punkangel
04-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I moved from Seattle, Washington to Papillion, Nebraska. I hate it here...even though it's pretty my friends are all back in Seattle hoping that I come back but my father got a new job...that's worldwide! But he said that he wants to stay here....wah! :(

HornyPope
04-10-2005, 01:49 PM
I've moved around three continents to date. Not gonna share the stories though.

Unnatural Disaster
04-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I moved from Memphis to Atlanta when I was 2 years old......that's the farthest distance i've ever moved