PDA

View Full Version : What the fuck is the obsession with Lighting Rod about?

HornyPope
04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I was looking at the admin poll on "Dexter on songs" and I noticed that Lighting Rod was leading way, way ahead of the other songs in terms of which track would you like to see Dexter talk about. Why? What did I miss? What's so special about it? Granted, I only heard it like five times maybe, which is awfully low compared with older tracks I listened anywhere from a hundred to up to a thousand times probably, but I went over the lyrics real quick and I see nothing to which I could give the extra attention.

Or is this a case of some ungodly homosexual pimping up the polls in his favour because he wants his voice to count or something?

Noodles is gay
04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
^ i totally agree.

If people want to know what it's about they should just consult the 'NiG on-song - lightening rod' thread. :D

It's all there people:

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6621

Gordie
04-11-2005, 08:37 AM
i think dexter should do gone away.. just to settle down all the kids here saying "OMG WHAT DO U THINK GONE AWAY MEANS!1!1!".. and all of those threads..

HornyPope
04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
i think

Stop right here. I didn't ask what you think.

HornyPope
04-11-2005, 08:42 AM
^ i totally agree.

That's a better way to start one's topic. Take notes.

Nina
04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
i thought it was the "best" song off that album. -shrug-
i dont understand what DEXTER could write about, anyway. there are certain other musicians, though, who i'd love to read explenations of.

foxy
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
it not great but it bloody good thouht

Sinister
04-11-2005, 10:35 AM
lightning rod is great and it's one of these songs that could have a dozen of equally fitting meanings. maybe that's why people want to know. and btw I just wanted 2 say hi 2 my new friend NIG :

*hollers "HIYA" at NIG*

Noodles is gay
04-11-2005, 10:37 AM
er...lol

HIYA SINISTER!!! :D

Vera
04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I think it's a really, really vague song. Truthfully I haven't exactly tried my hardest to interpret the lyrics because I just can't make the effort, but yeah, wouldn't be so bad to hear what it's really about.

GONE AWAY IS ABOUT DEATH. It's pretty fucking obvious. That's all you fucking need to know and all you will ever fucking find out. He's not going to tell you WHOSE death it's about. It could just be fully fictional. The point is: He's not going to talk about that. Period.

foxy
04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
i sound like he's in a mental hospial or or prison " locked up for ever inside " and is figureing out what he's lost or why he did something " look to the stars and ask why"
that what i fink any way

Dr.Faustus
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I wondered that too HornyPope, I was a little confused.

ninth
04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Bands shouldn't explain what their songs mean, they should leave that up to listener interpretation.

Vera
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree to a certain level. Then again, I'd really like to hear what inspired Dexter to write Vultures - I know what sort of a situation it represents to me, but am not sure whether it's supposed to represent that at all.

Camilamazed
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I fucking love that song and dare to say it suits me perfectly.It's obvious that it's about feelings.Someone who got really disappointed and cannot trust anyone else.People who got disappointed are usually afraid of trusting someone else again and always wait that just bad things can happen.Just like me.I'm totally afraid of trusting someone and getting disappointed one more time.

Dr.Faustus
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm with Ms Vera on this one.

RXP
04-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Ha look at Vera getting back into the offspring.

ninth
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
That's harsh.

RedSlayer
04-13-2005, 01:38 AM
I fucking love that song and dare to say it suits me perfectly.It's obvious that it's about feelings.Someone who got really disappointed and cannot trust anyone else.People who got disappointed are usually afraid of trusting someone else again and always wait that just bad things can happen.Just like me.I'm totally afraid of trusting someone and getting disappointed one more time.

same here///////

dirtybird
04-13-2005, 02:07 AM
I was looking at the admin poll on "Dexter on songs" and I noticed that Lighting Rod was leading way, way ahead of the other songs in terms of which track would you like to see Dexter talk about. Why? What did I miss? What's so special about it? Granted, I only heard it like five times maybe, which is awfully low compared with older tracks I listened anywhere from a hundred to up to a thousand times probably, but I went over the lyrics real quick and I see nothing to which I could give the extra attention.

Or is this a case of some ungodly homosexual pimping up the polls in his favour because he wants his voice to count or something?

I whole heartedly agree. Even if you think the lyrics mean something special, they're still easy to understand. Why waste hearing Dexter's on a song that really only has one possible meaning?

*By the way, I made a poll about the same thing a while back.

**I do like the song.. it's just a waste to vote for it!

dirtybird
04-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I want to know about the songs with all the metaphors like "Kick Him When He's Down" but that got hardly any votes at all.

offspringrammsteinfan
04-13-2005, 03:43 AM
Lightning rod is fuckin' awesome. It's the best song of their latest album :) so I think that it's why people voted for it, but in my opinion I would like to hear dexter talk about the good old "kill the president". :) Shamefull it ain't on the poll.