PDA

View Full Version : There are crazy Christians…

leo3375
04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
And then there are Dominionists!

Basically, Dominionists are the far-right of the far-right Christians. they are determined to turn the US into a theocracy by getting extremist far-right judges in the courts, electing far-right politicians, and getting onto school boards. They want to rewrite American history so that our children are taught history from a "Christian" point of view, tailor laws according to the Old Testament, install the Ten Commandments in courthouses, make it illegal to be homosexual, and make abortion a crime.

Check out the following article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7235393?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single7

Noodles is gay
04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
isn't America already like that? :p

Quick question: is Darwin's theory of evolution taught in schools over there? I heard that it wasn't but find that really hard to believe.

Little_Miss_1565
04-11-2005, 07:31 PM
isn't America already like that? :p

Quick question: is Darwin's theory of evolution taught in schools over there? I heard that it wasn't but find that really hard to believe.

It's taught in most schools, but there's a movement concentrated in the Bible Belt to paint it as some fly-by-night theory, if not remove it entirely. Most Americans consider the whole fight over this ridiculous.

Someone
04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
And then there are Dominionists!

Basically, Dominionists are the far-right of the far-right Christians. they are determined to turn the US into a theocracy by getting extremist far-right judges in the courts, electing far-right politicians, and getting onto school boards. They want to rewrite American history so that our children are taught history from a "Christian" point of view, tailor laws according to the Old Testament, install the Ten Commandments in courthouses, make it illegal to be homosexual, and make abortion a crime.

Check out the following article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7235393?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single7

They are also called "republicans."

ninth
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
You're an idiot.

Endymion
04-11-2005, 08:36 PM
They are also called "republicans."

that's like saying every democrat is a communist.

Italia311
04-12-2005, 07:29 AM
I went to catholic school. And in grade 12 religion we did a whole unit on evolution theory. Thats Canada. I dunno bout the states, fucking born agains.

Noodles is gay
04-12-2005, 07:36 AM
I went to catholic school. And in grade 12 religion we did a whole unit on evolution theory. Thats Canada. I dunno bout the states, fucking born agains.

yeah damn them - personally, i reckon they're just pissed off because Darwin was English and worked it out, rather than a bloody yank. :cool:

wheelchairman
04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
that's like saying every democrat is a communist.
I guess you didn't pay much attention to Comrade Kerry during the elections.

Endymion
04-12-2005, 11:03 AM
yeah damn them - personally, i reckon they're just pissed off because Darwin was English and worked it out, rather than a bloody yank. :cool:

all real schools teach darwinian evolution, it's only either catholic schools or CRAZY fucking hicksville schools where evolution isn't taught as the correct explination of the biological diversity and complexity around us.

Mota Boy
04-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I guess you didn't pay much attention to Comrade Kerry during the elections.
I assume that you're being facetious.

Evangelical Christians are not nearly as scary as they've been made out to be. They all agree that God's a pretty good guy, and they don't like certain things like communism and homosexuality, but they fracture much easier than alarmist writings let on. A good example is the late Terri Schiavo. Some evangelicals were certain that God wanted Terri Schiavo to live while the majority of them thought that God wanted Terri Schiavo to die.

And even regarding things that they agree upon, such as homosexuality being a sin, they disagree on the exact way to treat it. Some want it banned, most just want gay marriage banned, a few think that it should be OK, just preached against. Mainly they're a strong force against certain things and for vague ideas like prayer in schools, but once they actually start to hammer out the specifics they fall apart.

Italia311
04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
all real schools teach darwinian evolution, it's only either catholic schools or CRAZY fucking hicksville schools where evolution isn't taught as the correct explination of the biological diversity and complexity around us.

My Catholic school spent half a semester on Darwin. And it was well informed. Nothing short of what I have learned in my Western Civ Class at University. Thanks.

leo3375
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
The Catholic Church does recognize evolutionary theory, because they believe it fits into the Creation story. The Catholic Bible is more open to interpretation and is acknowledged as more figurative than literal. (i.e. Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit and being banished from Eden is a metaphor for humans learning how to hunt and use tools and giving up blissful ignorance in exchange for knowledge.)

Yes, I know that most Christians are decent people. It's the fringe that is the Dominionists who give it a bad name.

Amanda
04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
God i hope those dudes don't take over. I get a little taste of fanatic chritianism here at home, its like this constant brainwashing: "the theory of evolution is a lie", "God hates homosexuals", "Sex was created by the devil, don't fall into temptation or you'll burn in hell"! Freaky...

Endymion
04-12-2005, 06:11 PM
The Catholic Church does recognize evolutionary theory

careful, they recognize microevolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microevolution), not evolution in genreal--which would include evolution at the species level and higher.

Endymion
04-12-2005, 06:14 PM
My Catholic school spent half a semester on Darwin. And it was well informed. Nothing short of what I have learned in my Western Civ Class at University. Thanks.

i was talking about in america. plus, many christian school do teach evolution--they teach it as an incorrect, flawed theory. they'll teach it and then point out how and why it is incorrect.

Jimbob2005
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Fuck religion altogether

Religion is brainwash

wheelchairman
04-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Fuck religion altogether

Religion is brainwash
It's good we have your superior intellect to reveal these things.

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 03:50 PM
i was talking about in america. plus, many christian school do teach evolution--they teach it as an incorrect, flawed theory. they'll teach it and then point out how and why it is incorrect.
I have a Christian friend who believes that evolution is flawed on the basis that it teaches life evolved from parasitical single-cellular lifeforms, and if that were true, what more-complex lifeforms would they thus feed on? I didn't have the heart to explain to him on how many levels that was wrong.