PDA

View Full Version : If you're at least 18 years old and American, read this!

leo3375
11-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Tomorrow is Election Day, and it is your chance to help decide what could be the most important Presidential election since 1972.

Statistically, 1824-year-olds are the least likely age group to vote. So why should you vote this year? Well, if you don't want to get drafted for the US military (yes, there is rumor that Bush will reinstate the draft next year), or you're concerned about the situation in Iraq, or you're just plain sick of your college tuition going ever higher every year, you should vote.

Don't think your vote will count? Yes, the electoral college is flawed (so is run-off voting!) but your vote will help determine which candidate will get your state's electoral votes.

All I can say is that you should vote with your heart. Just remember that if you don't vote, you're saying you don't care. Therefore, you shouldn't complain about your tuition, the war in Iraq, your reproductive rights, etc.

Little_Miss_1565
11-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Agreed with everything else, BUT...

Statistically, 1824-year-olds are the least likely age group to vote. So why should you vote this year? Well, if you don't want to get drafted for the US military (yes, there is rumor that Bush will reinstate the draft next year), or you're concerned about the situation in Iraq, or you're just plain sick of your college tuition going ever higher every year, you should vote.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/draft.asp

Why there most likely will not be a draft. Also, Bush has been recorded on TV as saying the War on Terror will be fought only with an all-volunteer army. Well, at first he said it would not be fought with a volunteer army, but then was corrected, so think what you may about that one...

SicN Twisted
11-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Wellll, as long as Bush promised there wouldn't be a draft, I guess we'll have to take his word for it.

Common, Missy. The we first went to Vietnam, there were promises that their wouldn't be a draft. Bush Sr. also promised he wouldn't raise taxes. War is historically the best excuse to break promises.

greencows12
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Bush is a cunt.

Little_Miss_1565
11-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Wellll, as long as Bush promised there wouldn't be a draft, I guess we'll have to take his word for it.

Common, Missy. The we first went to Vietnam, there were promises that their wouldn't be a draft. Bush Sr. also promised he wouldn't raise taxes. War is historically the best excuse to break promises.

Yeeeah, I know, probably should have made my concession of that point clearer. But the current rumors of the draft being reinstated as has been e-mailed to everyone and their mother (literally--my mom freaked out) remain untrue.