PDA

View Full Version : In honour of geek week and the fact that I am a geek in disguise..

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
.. I wish to put to you a little debate between me and a fellow geek, about strategy games. Now, I would say the 3 main strategy series for the PC have been Civilisation, Total War, and Age of Empires. None has forced me to spend more mindless hours infront of the PC than Total War (Medieval and Rome specifically). Though he insists Civilisation is more addictive.

Come on geeks. Let's band together. Tell me yer favourite.

dirtybird
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I stopped after Age of Empires, because they seemed to be getting boring. Civilization seemed downright awful. I've never seen/played total war.

Amanda
04-13-2005, 06:00 PM
I got a little obsessed with age of the empire and counter strike lol But now im a lil bit bored, need to find a new game...

dirtybird
04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Morrowind is great if you like RPGs... it's like one giant sidequest.

Amanda
04-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Never heard of that one...

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Never heard of it either.

dirtybird
04-13-2005, 06:07 PM
It's under Elderscrolls 3.

Jebus
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
I used to spend countless hours playing Diablo II. Does that count as a strategy game?

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Can't say I've ever played it. I suppose we could count it. Played any of the 3 I mentioned?

Amanda
04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah i played Diablo too, didn't last long though, my mom saw the name of the game and got rid of it...Damn religious fanatic

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-13-2005, 06:25 PM
What? That's pathetic.

Sinister
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
my mums a stupid religious fanatic but she dont give a damn bout diablo

Chris
04-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Surely you're forgetting the C&C series? But anyway, I haven't played any of those games in depth mainly as im not particularly a fan of strategy games, although Dawn of War was good fun and Imperial Glory looks tempting due to my interest in the Napaleonic times.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I was listing the reasons why I don't count C&C as a strategy game, and then realised they're all shit reasons and C&C should be counted. But I choose not to, simply because the 3 I stated are so much better, in my opinion. C&C gets incredibly repetitive after a time.

Betty
04-14-2005, 01:15 AM
The only one I've played is Age of Empires... my geekiness is unsatisfactory.

Endymion
04-14-2005, 01:22 AM
dude, civilization is so classic. civ3 wins hard too.

Dr.Faustus
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
I prefer Warcraft.

Kitten
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Give me RPG's anyday. I haven't played total war, but I prefer Age of Empires over Civilisation.

Gordie
04-14-2005, 08:49 AM
ive been playing World of Warcraft.. most addicting game ever..

The Talking Pie
04-14-2005, 09:01 AM
and the fact that I am a geek in disguise..
Where's the disguise? :confused:

:D

Anyway, AoE all the way for me. I love AoE/RoR/AoK, though after that it kind of lost it's awesomeness to fancy shit like graphics. The music in Age of Empires/Rise of Rome was so fucking awesome. I mean from MIDIs they created awe-inspiring compositions. However, I did like the storyline of AoM, and of course setting Osiris against a world full of wolves in the map editor to see how long it'd take for him to kill them all...

burning-the-high-life
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Morrowind is great if you like RPGs... it's like one giant sidequest.

i've played that but i never really got into it though. i really like KOTOR and KOTOR II for rpg's...ooo and fable that was fun. otherwise i'm like addictied to AOE and command and conquer

JohnnyNemesis
04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Remember Gemfire on the SNES? That was one strategy game that kicked ASS.

I feel like a 21 year old geezer when I mention that game. *strokes long white beard *

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:59 AM
I just recieved Civilisation III in the post. And now, I'm going to play it.

Fuck, I'm too excited. This is not normal.

JoY
04-18-2005, 06:06 AM
uhh, I like Stratego?

Peruzzo
04-18-2005, 06:28 AM
hey has any one played KKND extreme??

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Baldur's Gate I & II are both amazing RPGs - the only ones worht playing in my opinion.

I love starcraft, Warcraft (mainly II) and ROME:total War (of course) :p

Age of empires was never that great i thought, but when i was like 7yrs old i used to play C&C so tis a bit easy now :D

RPGs are the best though - Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter nights! :cool:

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Shit, Civilisation III is hard! Either that or.. I suck.

Fuck Fortified Spearmen. I hate the bastards.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Shit, Civilisation III is hard! Either that or.. I suck.

no! civilization is utter rubbish, i've played it a fair few time and just didn't like it! Tis nothing on warcraft or starcraft!

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:01 PM
You'll notice I didn't mention once if I actually liked it or not.

I don't know if I like it yet. I judge a strategy game by how much it can grip me through the early hours of the morning, and beyond. It'll have to do a lot to top Total War for me.

It is hard though.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Nothing tops Rome:Total War! I stayed up until like 7am the next day playing that game the day i got it - it was so awesome :D

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Overall I prefer Medieval: Total War. The actual battling is undoubtedly better on Rome: Total War - the detail is fantastic and the units are superb. But the campaign is so much simpler and more fun on Medieval - that's why I enjoy it so much. It's simple and it has longevity.

Obviously I know why you like Rome: Total War. =P What's your favourite; Brutii, Scipii or Julii?

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Julii - they reminded me of Julius Caesar to start with, which was cool. :p

What about you?

I haven't actually played Medieval:total war *hangs head in shame* I keep meaning to get it because the Rome version is so good, i also need to get a decent graphics card because i want the graphics on Rome on full but mine just can't handle it :(

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Get the graphics card. The full graphics are so worth it.

I don't play as Rome - it's never been my style to play as the establishment. Usually I play as either Greek, Gaul or Britannia. Greeks 'cos of the Hoplites, Gaul 'cos of the large numbers of Warbands, and Britannia 'cos of the Chariots. And Macedonians occasionally when I'm in the mood for elephants.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I like the feeling of power associated with playing Rome (damn, i just love being powerful!) :D

But yeah, the Hoplites are very cool - the Greeks are my second favourite, with the Egyptions coming in third.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:21 PM
You don't want to play as Egypt! Play as Gaul! Barbarians.. rar!

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:24 PM
But they were mean to the Romans! :mad:

i don't get to play it that much because my computer likes to act up :( I really must get a graphics card - this weekend! Yes I will! I last played about a week ago - the game froze in the middle of a battle so i got kinda pissed off with it, but you have now encouraged me to play it more (damn you, this is gonna cost me).

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
And get Medieval too. It's cheap now and very worth it.

There's also the prequel to Medieval which is called Shogun. But after you've played Rome I doubt you'll enjoy it. It's a bit too unrealistic and simple.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I might just do that. (damn! You're costing me more!)

I remember Shogun! I never played it but i have a demo somewhere (a very old one) and i thought it looked pretty good 'back in the day'.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Oh! Oh! And there's the expansion to Medieval, called Viking Invasion, which (surprise surprise) you play during the Viking invasions. And you can be (I think):

The Vikings
The Mercians
The Saxons
The Northumbrians
The Picts
The Scots
The Irish
The Welsh

.. and it's great fun.

Shogun just isn't realistic enough for me. I got Medieval first and so I think I missed out on Shogun.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:35 PM
oh, now i want that too!

I can get them both on ebay pretty cheap though so looking good! :D

I don't remember much about shogun except that it looked cool to a 12year old me, i probably won't bother with it.

But need a graphics card! You couldn't recommend one for around 60/70 could you?

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Er.. better asking Endy or RXP. I'm hardly an expert.

HornyPope
04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
I avoid Total War series because i'd spend weeks playing them once I start.

I did have my balls sweating from exciting at the E3 presentation however.

Noodles is gay
04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
^ haha! what about the Xbox 2 :eek:

yes..i will do, thanks.

But for now i'm off to bed, damn school, should've quit when i had the chance.

I will have to post my opinion of Medieval total war after i get it :D

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:40 PM
If you like the campaign map of Rome, I can almost guarantee you won't like Medieval in the slightest.

But there you go. Night night.

HornyPope
04-18-2005, 04:45 PM
From personal collection to all curious persons. It's pretty lame actually, the picture I mean, but meh.

http://tinypic.com/4j4561

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
OMG Macedonian war elephants!

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/pc/rome-total-war/rome-total-war-3.jpg

*creams self*

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I've been hanging out with my geek friends recently which means that I'm painting too many Dark Elves, playing GunBound, Neverwinter Nights, and Unreal Tournament. I kinda want to play UO or DAoC again but I don't necessarily see that happening any time soon.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Why do you want to play as Dark Elves? Toughness 3? Ogre Kingdoms, base Toughness 5. That's what yer want.

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Because I already have tons of High Elves and Dark Elves and don't intend on letting those go to waste just because fat-titted Ogres are now an army. I have thought about using some of them as Dogs of War however.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I think Maneaters can be used as Dogs of War, and they're well worth it. Do you have the book? If you don't and want to know any stats, I happen to have it offhand and can type them up.

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I just picked up a copy of the book for my friend two days ago and read some of it, I also have a friend in town that has the Ogre Kingdoms book.

One thing is for certain though, Repeating Crossbows are useless against Ogres.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh hell yes. Them tits'll stop anything.

I'm not sure whether to take Gnoblars or not. I'm really trying to find a reason other than the numbers which can make it worth it.

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Low point cost could make them useful as fillers, especially when a regiment of twenty (40 points) is worth about the same amount of points as one Ogre (35 points for a bull, as I recall).

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Suppose so. Plus, there's always the Scraplauncher. Which is so Orc and Goblin-ish I couldn't quite believe it.

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
But Gnoblars are greenskins for all practical purposes. The scraplauncher is a bitch to assemble, or so I've heard, but is a rather effect chariot if you're good with estimation for catapults.

Of course, every unit of Ogres is, in effect, a chariot because of that fucking bull charge. I've heard that the main tactic to use against Ogre Kingdoms is lots of calvary, which means that I'll probably end up investing in some Cold One Knights ($$$).

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Aw man.. I hate Cold One Knights.. I have come unstuck so many times..

ninth
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
The sixth addition Cold Ones look amazing compared to the fifth addition models, which will stick out in my calvary hella badly, but what can you do? I've almost finished painting one of the Dark Elf special character models that is mounted on a Cold One and it's coming together rather nicely.

Chris
04-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Pish, if you haven't checked out the new range of Wood Elves (well, whats been revealed so far) you should, that's where it's at....they took bloody long enough to update them, a long ten years

Roll on release date.

ninth
04-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Wasn't their old range 36 inches? I've always found those tree dwelling homos boring.