PDA

View Full Version : Gonna build a computer

RXP
04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
All the geeks suggest me a motherboard, Socket A for a xp2300 (well the Sepron or whatever the new gay name is).

Endymion
04-14-2005, 09:38 AM
*shrug* i usually use msi.

RXP
04-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Man I got all excited that I was gonna build a dual processor board but realised no one does cheap Socket A dual processor boards. It's so gay.

A dual xp2300 would rock for multitasking. You can have as fast as a processor you want but for multasking you can't beal dual processing. And that's all I do - multitask I don't need this gay clock speeds.

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Try HT?

Me, what I wanna do is get a new machine exclusively for storage. Gonna get a mobo supporting SATA 166 and then plug in 4-5 200gig hard drives. Then connect this machine to my home network. I'm tired of using my main/work computer for movies and mp3s.

RXP
04-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Get gigabit network adapter and a better idea would be firewire enclsoure box where you can store like 5 hard-drives and connect them to your local PC via firewire. Network is slow access. Even @ gigabit. I'm not talking thruput I'm talknig protocol connections taking time.

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
No, the problem with firewire box is it will directly reflect on my main computer and drain ressources when idle. A network is entierly self dependant. I don't need speed, because it's mostly storage. Only downside is the slow seek time but whatever.

RXP
04-14-2005, 01:14 PM
If it's just storage any point in getting all those SATA HD's? Just get cheaper normal ones?

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 01:17 PM
When I bought mine it was like 5$ more expensive than an IDE. So the speed increase justifies the price. But I haven't checked prices lately so i'm not sure.

RXP
04-14-2005, 01:19 PM
ANYONE can bulid computers now days. It's easy as hell. If you can make lego you can build a computer.

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
In fact I don't know anyone who buys made computers, unless it's an Alienware system.

RXP
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Alienware is so gay.

Buying a computer isn't that much more expensive if your gonna go for a high spec system. I worked it out cause someone wanted me to build a computer and it's only 90 more to buy retai. And when your spending 900-1400 on a high spec computer that's not a lot.

Also you get the warranty and legal software. So you can't really compete with that.

burning-the-high-life
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Alienware is so gay.

Buying a computer isn't that much more expensive if your gonna go for a high spec system. I worked it out cause someone wanted me to build a computer and it's only 90 more to buy retai. And when your spending 900-1400 on a high spec computer that's not a lot.

Also you get the warranty and legal software. So you can't really compete with that.

well not really it all depends on what you use it for. alienwares are good for like online gaming and stuff like unreal and those

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Alienware is the best bar none as far as gaming is concerned.

And the thing about retail isn't really the price, its the inability to go for whatever you want to go. Like when you want a specific motherboard, and specific brand of RAM etc...

burning-the-high-life
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Alienware is the best bar none as far as gaming is concerned.

And the thing about retail isn't really the price, its the inability to go for whatever you want to go. Like when you want a specific motherboard, and specific brand of RAM etc...

yes exactly. right on the head HP (hehe HP could be like head pixie or something) :D