PDA

View Full Version : Finnish people: Does this insult you?

Mannen som blev en gris
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Our music theacher was talking about some finnish composer, and she said "....and he was an alcoholic, like everyone in Finlad" in a "fun" way. It was just a little joke. But this guy in my class, whos mother is from Finland, became all red in his face and was like "No, they're not!" and became really upset with it! And it's the same guy who called his best friends mother a cow and giant shrimp the day before. He also said you needed two car jacks to lift her....The point is, do you think what she said was insulting?

HornyPope
04-14-2005, 02:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.

You know it's true. ALL FINS ARE ALCOHOLIC.

the_GoDdEsS
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Generalizations. They say all Slovaks are alcoholics too. And in the place I grew up 70% really are true alkies.

JohnnyNemesis
04-14-2005, 03:09 PM
The two insults cannot be compared. Ethnic jokes are in a league all their own. So yeah, teacher went too far.

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 03:33 AM
If that was said about the English then the best retort that could come of it would be "Touché".

SicN Twisted
04-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Wow, somebody's got their stereotypes ass-backwards. The Fins are abit prude when it comes to drunkenness. Caffein is their drug of choice, not alcohol.

Aimeht
04-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Hahahahahahahaha! Yes, it's true.

Vera
04-15-2005, 03:53 AM
It's Finn. Not Fin.

Fin like a fish's fin, for fuck's sake. Get it right next time, assfaces.

Sibelius (notable Finnish composer, I suppose it was him who she was talking about) did drink quite a lot, he used to spend weeks drinking with his friends at Kämp Galleria, this fancy hotel in downtown Helsinki and eventually his wife would come and drag him home.

Like Sim said, generalizations. I hear in Norway they have a lot of jokes about how Finns can drink so much they can't see and also that Finnish men have some sort of insane sexual stamina, even when absolutely fucking drunk. I find it quite amusing. I generally make a lot of jokes about Finns drinking, to both my foreign and Finnish friends. We might be talking about what we'll do on May Day with a bunch of friends and someone goes, "Yes, well, there'll be a lot of drunk people around. Vappu (May Day) is THE Finnish tradition to get drunk on." and then we just laugh because Finns tend to get drunk also in Mid summer's Eve, at Christmas, in the New Year, on Easter...

The real statistics are less funny, murders committed in drunk rage and all that, but we were third in some statistic of litres drunk per ear per person. Only Scotland and Ireland above us, if I recall correctly.

Still, as I said, it's a joke among us Finns. The fact that the dude in your class got upset just sort of shows me that he's not really in touch with the culture of his mother much. Otherwise he'd probably laugh with the rest of the class UNLESS some twat in the class would decide to call his mother an alcoholic simply because she's a Finn. That's a personal insult and I'd punch a person who'd say that.

And yes, we do lead the coffee statistics most but we do love our Koskenkorva. Especially after they lowered the prices. More alcohol deaths, wahey!

JoY
04-15-2005, 03:54 AM
seriously..
the Irish are alcoholics. get your facts right.

BuddyHolly
04-15-2005, 08:37 AM
It seems that Dutch kids (in the age of like 13 to 21 or something like that i guess) drink the most of all european countrys... I don't know about adults...

JoY
04-15-2005, 08:49 AM
It seems that Dutch kids (in the age of like 13 to 21 or something like that i guess) drink the most of all european countrys... I don't know about adults...
I do believe Dutch teenagers are most likely to get their hands on massive amounts of alcohol in any preferable strength, so.. yeah, I guess that might be true. it might be the beauty of the system; we don't have many alcoholics, if I recall correctly.

by the way, I don't know about you Buddy, but the first time I was drunk, I was four & I'd had too much Campari at a party. I thought it was lemonade. the first time I had a beer, I was six. my dad let me taste it, after my constant nagging. the first time I had wine, I was nine. during my high schoolyears, I drank two glasses of wine almost every evening at dinner. I'm guessing this would be unimaginable in many other countries.

& Sanni - hah, told 'em so. it's the Irish & Scottish you have to watch out for. according to any fucking book I've read, which included anyone from that area, it's got to be the Irish that top the list. I guess they've got a history to pour some alcohol over, yes.

Sibelius. hell yes. every time our orchestra went touring, we'd play a concert or two by a composer from the area we would be touring in. as you know, we've been to Norway & Sweden. I guess that was close enough to include some Sibelius in the program. he's definitely not "some finnish composer". he's well known all over the world. I fucking adored playing Sibelius.

wheelchairman
04-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I find it hilarious, that in Norway the workers get part of their salary paid in liquor.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Hehehe....He called his dad after that class someone said. Then his dad called to the principal. :p He's too sensitive.

Vera
04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Definitely. Especially if it's the teacher's style to teach, throw in a few harmless jokes to make the subject more interesting. It was a bit tactless on her part, I have to admit, but it's nothing that bad.

I got to thinking what they'd do in here if some teacher made an offending comment about Swedes. Then I realized the Finns' stereotype of the Swedish is pretty vulgar, so I don't think any teacher would joke about that.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
I got to thinking what they'd do in here if some teacher made an offending comment about Swedes. Then I realized the Finns' stereotype of the Swedish is pretty vulgar, so I don't think any teacher would joke about that.
Hahaha! I'm proud! No one jokes about swedes! :D

Vera
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
No teachers. The students all the more. In the privacy of their own homes? Everyone.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Generalizations. They say all Slovaks are alcoholics too. And in the place I grew up 70% really are true alkies.

Hahaha! What a great argument!

"They saw we're all alcoholics, but it's only about 70% of us!"

God, this cracked me up.

Amanda
04-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Dunno about the veracity of the commentary, but true or not it should never have been mentioned. Stereotypes like that one are insulting and should be avoided, specially by teachers who hold, for better or for worst, a considerable amount of influence over their students. As for the boy's insult, I'd say he's a moron, and i hope he got all teeth smashed into his skull by his "friend".

Mannen som blev en gris
04-16-2005, 03:25 AM
As for the boy's insult, I'd say he's a moron, and i hope he got all teeth smashed into his skull by his "friend".
His friend didn't say anything, he just looked really bored..... :) That guy is the biggest nerd I know of in our school. Do you know what he says if something cool/strange happens? Jackpot :D He's so annoying. He always walks with his arm like this I_. like he's some old bad guy from Bond or something....I don't know if anyone understands how it looks in real life, but it's like he's holding a gun/being shot in the stomach. It's strange anyway.