PDA

View Full Version : Diaries.

JoY
04-15-2005, 07:34 AM
do you keep one?
online, or like, a REAL one?

I was just reading back in one of my (REAL ;p) diaries & I couldn't help but be extremely entertained by my strange word-use. it's just.. when I have too much time on my hands & I desperately want to tell about my days & I want to tell it -right-, then my choice of words suddenly become hilarious. everything suddenly sounds so.. dramatic.

the following interests no one. I suggest you skip this part & go straight to replying & answering my questions.

these are fragments of my days in France. I translated them just for you. I'm sweet like that. most of them aren't good examples of how dramatic my writing can be, but pretty cute anyway. they brought back memories. my boyfriend & I were just in the process of getting together & I went to Switzerland for one week & to France for two. after one week of Switzerland & one week of France, I went insane & I had to go back home, before my boyfriend would leave with his parents to France.

"The last few days I gave my all to look as unhappy as possible - which wasn't too difficult - so my parents, as understanding as they are, might leave earlier. Besides a bracelet and a new diary, this didn't get me anything or anywhere. And presents are nice - wonderful even - don't get me wrong, but I had a whole other present in mind. So I let Huibert know, that I probably wouldn't get to see him before his departure and after a day of resting my case, I kicked off plan C. The most drastical and insensible plan, when it involves my parents: I told them the truth.
"Mom, dad, I would love, love, LOVE to see Huibert again, before he leaves."
*silence* [...]
Mom, with a cheerful voice; "So you *are* in love!"
Dad, while he lowers his book to see over it, which makes his tropical tanned head visible: "Depends if the sun here shines."
I guess I'll spend my next days raindancing."

"Hooray, my raindance is working. But a week too early. Well, that just sucks; now I have to be here in the rain too.
Fuck, mosquitos drive me nuts. Seriously, I'm not imagining this; they are sitting in lines of four against the ceiling, ready to attack me. And then the lights go out and then it's only a matter of 'Bombs away'. Really, that's the way it goes. But the lights are on now and if I hear one more of those humming monsters, it'll get a spanking it'll never be able to remember. Two of his little friends already shine here stuck to the wall, nothing more than stains on white. Fine, anyone else here, who feels the need for my open hand?"

"This morning I ate yoghurt with craberries and now I've made my final decision: Later, when I grow up, I'm going to be a little cranberry."

"Haha, I don't like the tone of my own writing much; way too solemn and serious. I'd rather think of how I said to daddy this morning; "when I grow up, I'll be a little cranberry." and how dad answered; "but you already are one!"

"I hope Huib will still like me, in three and a half weeks. If not, then it's probably better that way and then I never risked a broken little heart, or a snapped little soul, or a trampled little ego."

"OH MY GOD! I just booked a flight from Marseille to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. my darling, darling Schiphol. Haha, and there you go; it's raining! I curse my raindance now, because I want mom and dad to have a fantastic last few days here.
Oh boy, oh boy. A flight to my beloved, sparkling, adventurous Amsterdammeke. I really don't know what to say. I'm so terribly rattling and babbling all the time now. I want to run in all different directions at the same time, swim 570 laps, hug Annelise and John (house-owners), sing "long shall I live".... But I'm going to sleep with my Discman on my head, volume high, so I won't hear the mosquitos swirming around.
I am SUCH a weak, fragile, overromantic, melodramatic soul, that I'll fly home earlier.
But fuck it.
Kiss, sleep tight."

Vera
04-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Yes. Both in real life and online. Online happens to be more like storage for strange thoughts and funny ideas that came to me when being online.

Tired_Of_You
04-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I had one when I was like 8 or 9 years old, but after a while (well, actually probably less than two months) I threw it in the rubbish bin. I didn't like to reread what I wrote. I never liked what I write. I tried to have diary a couple of years later - online this time - and I erased it. A couple of months ago, I tried to have one on my computer and one day I tried to open it and wasn't able. I don't know what happened... The stupid computer...

I can't have a diary. I just can't, it never works!

Mota Boy
04-15-2005, 08:12 AM
I have fractured diaries kept in English, Spanish and Mandarin. They rarely last. The only thing that's lasted has been my e-journal... and now that I can't access it regularly, that too has fallen into disrepair.

JoY
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I actually managed to forget my diary at my parents'. & since I don't come there much, I've had to do without it for weeks now. I guess it's terribly unupdated, when I finally write in it again. I didn't write much in it in the first place already. this sucks. I crave my diary. & a cold beer. a sixpack preferably.

Inshane
04-15-2005, 08:45 AM
I do have a -real- one. But those little books keep turning into drawing-lyric books and not about what I did or felt that day. So everytime I buy a new book it ill be a diary for the first couple of days. (with lots of space between the days mostly moths cause Im not good with diaries.) and it starts turning into a book with a whole different purpose. So I 'made' a livejournal thing. I try to update it now and then. I like to re-read my own thoughts. especially livejournal makes me feel my emotions are really structured and not as chaotic as in real life. (but I always have that feeling when I type instead of write down anything)

JoY
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Nina -structuring my thoughts, that's exactly the reason I started to write my thoughts down. & I don't need to do it every day, just once in a while when I'm confused, or feeling anything strongly. happiness, sadness, frustration, whatever. it's easier to analyse & rationalise what you're thinking & feeling, while writing it all down. without writing things down my mind often wanders & I don't get to sorting anything out. my diaries have lyrics & poetry in them too. sucky, crappy stuff I wouldn't let anyone read, but yeah, it keeps me busy & I can somewhat express myself that way.

Justin -like you didn't know I'm fucking emo to the fucking bone.

Sixpence.
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I have a diary on the computer, 90 pages in Microsoft Word. I keep writing on it, nearly every day. I also have a real one but it's somewhere in the cupboard and I'm not sure where I've hidden the key...
Anyway, for me it's important to write on my "virtual diary" even if I have to write shit because the day sucked as hell. But these days also belong to my life.
The last entry in my real diary was in year 2003 I think...

JoY
04-15-2005, 09:05 AM
It's annoying how I have to keep telling you I love you and shelling out for expensive wine every time I want to use you for a shallow fuck.
it's tiring how I always have to keep telling "love you too, sweetness" to keep you in bed with me & drink your cheap ass wine with an expensive label sticked on it by your hand in order to get even slightly horny.

fairy call
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
I have been keeping one for 2-3 years now, but I don't write too much in anymore. And I mostly hate the things I've written afterwards, it just sounds pathetic and stupid. I started writing stuff down just so I could read it again later, just to know what I did at that time and everything.
I don't have an online one though.

JoY
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
How did you know I funnel cheap wine into the $300 bottle? Was it because I kept insisting on taking the bottle home with me?
partly. & because it tasted cheap ass.

Izie
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I used to have a compie-diary, basically a word file. I re-read it occasionaly and surprise myself. I still like it, which is unbelievable.

These days I keep an online diary, but it's really not regularly updated, or detailed or anything. Just random. Then again, my previous word-file was random too.

Aww, I used to keep a diary one summer in the countryside where I had a crush on this kid and he had a crush on me (we were like 12), and I used to write every little detail in it every day, awww! I'm afraid I might have thrown that away :/

the_GoDdEsS
04-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I started writing a lame diary at the age of 14. Basically facts about what happened. That eventually turned into philosophical writings about the meaning of life and people when I was 17. And since then it's been mostly reflections, observations, poetry or venting. Three years ago I switched from Slovak to German and eventually to English. Now they're in English only because it feels more safe to have them in a foreign language unless someone finds out how disturbing I can be. Ha. Two years ago I started a word file too and now one on LJ as well which is basically about what's happening.

It can be useful venting and I love writing. I write rather than talk about problems.

JohnnyNemesis
04-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I only have two. One hasn't been updated in years, and the other is a LiveJournal that is updated and commented on religiously. It always makes me cringe to see the ridiculous things I wrote years, heck, sometimes even months ago.

JoY
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
It can be useful venting and I love writing. I write rather than talk about problems.
pretty much the same here.

isn't a foreign language liberating? it always creates a distance between yourself & your thoughts somehow, which in a strange way makes you a tiny bit more objective.

the_GoDdEsS
04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
isn't a foreign language liberating? it always creates a distance between yourself & your thoughts somehow, which in a strange way makes you a tiny bit more objective.

Exactly my thoughts. I can say a lot more personal things in English than in my own language.

JoY
04-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Exactly my thoughts. I can say a lot more personal things in English than in my own language.
same here, same here. I guess that's partly why I love this board so much.

Eccentric Sara
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I really envy Dutch/other European ppl who have been taught second and third languages from an early age. I would love to be fluent in another language. :( I did French and German at school. Got an A* at G.C.S.E. for both,but only still have a basic knowledge of both languages. I would never be able to write a diary in either language,as I would have to keep looking in the dictionary and it would take me forever! :(

Anyway,onto the actual topic of this thread- no,I don't keep a diary. I did briefly when I was about 10/11,but kept forgetting to write in it. If I have enough time to be able to write in a diary,this means that nothing is happening for me to be able to write anything! If I am busy and /or having fun,I don't have time to write in a diary. Plus,I am a perfectionist,and spend ages just trying to construst one sentence and make it sound right sometimes! Writing is a stressful process for me. I don't find it to be relaxing or a release,and only really enjoy it if I like the end product -i.e.- the finished piece of writing. I don't usually enjoy the actual process of writing,so avoid doing it,unless I come up with a good idea for a story/poem/lyrics etc and can write it all out quickly,as it comes to me.

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I really envy Dutch/other European ppl who have been taught second and third languages from an early age. I would love to be fluent in another language. :(
Ditto. They should start teaching French from the age of five. Heh, my teacher when I was five actually taught us how to speak some French, even though we had no clue what we were saying. Of course, I'd prefer other languages over French, but that's all they seem to focus on here most....

Eccentric Sara
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Ditto. They should start teaching French from the age of five. Heh, my teacher when I was five actually taught us how to speak some French, even though we had no clue what we were saying. Of course, I'd prefer other languages over French, but that's all they seem to focus on here most....
Yeah,I agree. And I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on lerarning French in this country either. Surely languages that are spoken in many different countries would be more useful,like Spanish for example. It is spoken in all of South America except Brazil,in parts of Mexico (I think!),and of course in Spain! MUCH more useful. I know French is spoken in French Canada and some African countries,but I would be unlikely to go to either of those places. (No offence to Africans/French Canadians!). I have been to France a couple of times,but am unlikely to go back there,so why did I spend 6 years learning French?!!! As for German,luckily,I had a very good teacher so I did well,but I found the grammar very hard and didn't really enjoy it. Am I ever going to use it? It's doubtful. :mad: I really wish I was Dutch. They seem to have a really good school system there.

JoY
04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I would've LOVED to have learned Spanish. I actually find it goddam surprising they don't teach it like German & French. I mean, who the fuck speaks German & French? let's see, German; the Germans, the Swiss (with dialect), in Austria (with dialect)... French; the French (well obviously), some French colonies, parts of Switzerland, I think a part of Austria too, a part of Canada... whooptidoo, it'd be as useful as learning Italian & there's one beautiful language! not as beautiful as Spanish, though, which tops them all useful-wise, too.

oo-oo, & it's fucking sockirocky to be Dutch. ;p
plus, did you know Dutch is spoken at Dutch colonies, in Belgium & in parts of Canada, besides in the Netherlands?

Sixpence.
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
I could have chosen Spanish and Japanese in school but I didn't. I had French in school for 4 years but I lost motivation in the last two years. I have English for 7 years now and it's good that way.

I'm fucking glad that I was born in Germany so I don't have to learn this language, German grammar is fucking difficult to learn for foreigners.

JoY
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
German grammar is fucking difficult to learn for foreigners.
I fully agree. ugh. terrible times. *shudders*

Sixpence.
04-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I still make some mistakes in English though I have it for such a long time.
That's sad somehow... :)

JoY
04-15-2005, 01:29 PM
I still make some mistakes in English though I have it for such a long time.
That's sad somehow... :)
naw. because you don't *think* in English. you first have to translate your thoughts into English, before you write them down, which isn't -that- easy when you never grew up with the language. I sometimes find it real damn hard to find the right words in English to describe what I want to say & I make loads of mistakes & such.

Sixpence.
04-15-2005, 01:32 PM
naw. because you don't *think* in English. you first have to translate your thoughts into English, before you write them down, which isn't -that- easy when you never grew up with the language. I sometimes find it real damn hard to find the right words in English to describe what I want to say & I make loads of mistakes & such.

yeah you're right. I also need to look up some new vocabularies. I always use the same words, that's annoying.

To stick to the topic: I wrote a new entry in my word file-diary today. Oh I love this document!

Eccentric Sara
04-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I would've LOVED to have learned Spanish. I actually find it goddam surprising they don't teach it like German & French. I mean, who the fuck speaks German & French? let's see, German; the Germans, the Swiss (with dialect), in Austria (with dialect)... French; the French (well obviously), some French colonies, parts of Switzerland, I think a part of Austria too, a part of Canada... whooptidoo, it'd be as useful as learning Italian & there's one beautiful language! not as beautiful as Spanish, though, which tops them all useful-wise, too.

oo-oo, & it's fucking sockirocky to be Dutch. ;p
plus, did you know Dutch is spoken at Dutch colonies, in Belgium & in parts of Canada, besides in the Netherlands?
Yeah,exactly what u said about learning Spanish! I could teach it to myself I suppose,but I don't have the motivation,and if I'm not going to use it,there isn't much point! And no,I didn't know Dutch was spoken anywhere outside The Netherlands! U have enlightened me! :D

I don't know
04-15-2005, 05:43 PM
I never had a diary, heheheheheh :D , I'm crazy enogh to tell things to myself, hhhhehhehehe :D , I don't need a diary.

Kathy
04-15-2005, 05:46 PM
i had one, until my 9's, then i hate it, cause i discovered that I was really crazy

Camilamazed
04-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I usewd to have one each year when I was (very much) younger haha. I used to right, but as I had a terrible experience with my ex - Bf there was just bad things written on them. I burned all hehehe

Nowadays I haver an on line one shared with a very special friend where we are just allowed to write Good things. We don't give any chance for bad stuff......

It wroked out because bad stuff barely happen to both of us :D

I don't know
04-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I would like to have one and keep it, then long time after read it, it would be so cool, heehehehehehehe :D , knowing how you were feeling that time, and I have such a bad memory, so I would need one for remember how I was like in any time of my life, heeheh :D

Anya82
04-15-2005, 06:17 PM
i don't have a DIARY, but, i write stuff in a notepad i have, everytime i think about something, or when i want to tell someone how i feel.

Sunny
04-15-2005, 07:09 PM
i don't have a real life diary, but i have a livejournal. =')

Tizzalicious
04-16-2005, 08:17 AM
I have a LiveJournal, and an actual diary, but I don't use the last one a lot! And then I have a notebook, which is still empty, but I'm planning to use that for random memories...concert tickets, and random, non-secret notes...lyrics, artsy stuff...collages...things like that :)