PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks that plans to change education in the UK sucks?

Jimbob2005
04-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I do - i know it's different for different parties but i mean...you can't get rid of A-Levels, and GCSEs are fine. Want job related subjects? Take a GNVQ course at a college - simple as that. The system is fine.

And I think the AS and A2 idea is good because doing exams after 1 year means there is less to revise for the second year :)

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm all in favour of vocational education. I'd actually have preferred it. And the AS/A2 system is fucking stupid. Everyone fucks up in AS, then it's too late to correct (completely, at least). Mock exams in Year 12 would prove to the kids how bad they're going to do, and let them fix it without carrying the burden of the exams they've already failed.

Jimbob2005
04-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm all in favour of vocational education. I'd actually have preferred it. And the AS/A2 system is fucking stupid. Everyone fucks up in AS, then it's too late to correct (completely, at least). Mock exams in Year 12 would prove to the kids how bad they're going to do, and let them fix it without carrying the burden of the exams they've already failed.
Actually I suppose it is easy for me since I am academically smart, and vocational courses are useful - don't get me wrong. But for those who study hard and (don't get me wrong - i am not stereotyping anyone) want to get into "higher" jobs, A-levels (or any academic subject) tend to come in handy - they are recognised by employees etc...

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but vocational courses are the way to go (and I'm extending this not just to labour-type jobs, but to all kinds of jobs). I mean seriously, what do A Levels equip me with? I got near-perfect marks in my English Literature exam. What has that qualified me to do? Act like a smartass when reading poetry. I'd much rather my courses moulded me for a profession, regardless of what it was.

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 06:09 PM
I think vocational courses are a good idea because not everyone is cut out for the 'more academic' things in life. I donít think thereís much wrong with AS/A2 levels though (maybe too many modules!). I reckon introducing the vocational courses alongside the AS/A2 levels would be the best idea, but scrapping them completely would probably go utterly wrong methinks.

Everyone fucks up in AS, then it's too late to correct (completely, at least).

Not everyone :cool:

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Y'know, on our way to pick up our AS results, we were all joking about how one of us (Tom) would probably end up killing another of us so that he could steal our results to show his parents. And you know what? He got the best grades out of any of us. He had enough to get accepted at nearly any Uni, yet he ended up (methinks, and through his own choice, also) at Cov :p

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 06:19 PM
hehe; yeah the AS results were very odd in January - I got full marks on a paper i thought i'd failed and the '9A* GCSE' people were getting Bs & Cs on the chemistry and biology papers - very odd.

Coventry! Oh dear! (no offence to your friend or anything but i loathe Coventry).

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Indeed. When I tell people that I'm staying in Coventry to go to uni I hate their immediate assumption that it's Cov Uni :p Warwick all the way for me! Hopefully :p

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Warwick is very nice but still a bit too close to Coventry methinks. What you wanna do at uni?

The Talking Pie
04-15-2005, 06:37 PM
English Lit (though mainly for the optional Creative Writing modules, given that they turned me down for their Creative Writing course... fuckers). I fucking love the Warwick campus though. And not just because it's entirely self-contained and I could continue to be sad and never leave my room :P Their library alone is worth all the money and so forth.

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah Warwick does have a very nice campus. English Lit is pretty cool too.

Chris
04-15-2005, 06:47 PM
To be honest, the percentage pass mark at GCSE for some subjects is just laudible - 40% for Mathematics is a joke. Saying that, I didn't have much trouble with the AS/A Level system apart from the fact that I did end up retaking a few modules from the first year although I'm not sure whether thats down to either my own slackness or the organisation of it all (or perhaps that's just Mathematics for ya). Somehow I managed not having to pay a penny for any retakes though hah...

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 06:48 PM
^ 15% for a C in Maths in 2003! :eek:

Chris
04-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Must have been 40% for an A then! It just detracts from past achievements really (although the arguement of comparing schooling between now and say 40 years ago doesnt' cut it with me, just not comparable at all in my view)

RXP
04-15-2005, 08:05 PM

And I think the AS and A2 idea is good because doing exams after 1 year means there is less to revise for the second year :)

Easy yes, but it doesn't prepeare you for university. TRUST me. I got AAB in A2's with hardly any work until like 2 weeks before exams. You do that shit in uni you fail.

Chris
04-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Strange that, my college always said that A Levels would be harder work than University and I'm inclined to agree having been pretty slack over the past four years, but breezing through Uni so far and not faring so well in my A Levels...

I guess it could be course sensitive, among other factors

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 01:59 AM
I think vocational courses are a good idea because not everyone is cut out for the 'more academic' things in life. I donít think thereís much wrong with AS/A2 levels though (maybe too many modules!). I reckon introducing the vocational courses alongside the AS/A2 levels would be the best idea, but scrapping them completely would probably go utterly wrong methinks.

Not everyone :cool:

I agree with you there, that really what I was trying to say - i've got nothing against vocational courses.

I do wish I chose English Lit above Computing for AS, because computing is the most POINTLESS subject ever (i actually fall asleep in the lessons too), and apparently English Lit is good.

Oh, I am doing my AS exams this year :(

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 04:22 AM
I do wish I chose English Lit above Computing for AS, because computing is the most POINTLESS subject ever
You're kidding right? How can programming in outdated languages not be awesome? :p But yeah, English Lit is tre-awesome.

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 04:30 AM
You're kidding right? How can programming in outdated languages not be awesome? :p But yeah, English Lit is tre-awesome.
Most of computing isnt even programing - moronic stuff that you learn about in GCSE too. It's just pointless, the unis dont want it and it should be scrapped totally!

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 06:17 AM
I do wish I chose English Lit above Computing for AS, because computing is the most POINTLESS subject ever (i actually fall asleep in the lessons too), and apparently English Lit is good.

Oh, I am doing my AS exams this year :(

WOW! That's almost exactly the same as me! I chose to do biology AS(spur of the moment) then tried to change to English Lit but the gay teacher hated me and refused to let me change (it was only like 3 days into the year!).

Also I'm doing computing - god it's boring, esp that damnable Terry's turkeys :mad:

Vicky
04-16-2005, 07:30 AM
they could make them a bit easier >.< woo for exams in a few weeks :/

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Also I'm doing computing - god it's boring, esp that damnable Terry's turkeys :mad:
LMAO

No way!!! Terry's Turkeys?? That's my coursework. Yes, it's damnable, but better than theory - so boring that I actually enjoyed the practical work

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 10:13 AM
LMAO

No way!!! Terry's Turkeys?? That's my coursework. Yes, it's damnable, but better than theory - so boring that I actually enjoyed the practical work

Yeah i guess it is, everyone in the country has to do Terry's turkeys; mine keeps giving me error messages and isn't working very well though :p

How's your's going?

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah i guess it is, everyone in the country has to do Terry's turkeys; mine keeps giving me error messages and isn't working very well though :p

How's your's going?
I've finished the whole thing!!! I have a neat working system. But i've gotta do the crappy documentation (zzzzzzzzzz...........boooooooooring!)

What year are you in by the way?

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Ah, Terry's Turkeys! You know how it states Terry likes to match the turkeys himself? Well I missed that part, and wrote a lengthy procedure to auto-match them rather precisely. I don't trust users to do their own work, you see. What have you been writing it in?

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Ah, Terry's Turkeys! You know how it states Terry likes to match the turkeys himself? Well I missed that part, and wrote a lengthy procedure to auto-match them rather precisely. I don't trust users to do their own work, you see. What have you been writing it in?
I think you asked noodles is gay, but I'm answering anyway

I didnt write it in anything - I used Microsoft Access. It sez use a combination of either Access or Pascal...WHY????????!!!!!!!!!!! And how exactly?!

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 10:54 AM
I've finished the whole thing!!! I have a neat working system. But i've gotta do the crappy documentation (zzzzzzzzzz...........boooooooooring!)

What year are you in by the way?

Oh shit! I have a load to do!

Year 12. you the same right?

I though you were in year 13? damn bet that was annoying - you must be really good at it to be able to write that though; i would've messed it up.

Using Access too, although i'm occasionally using the programming thingy built into it as well.

I don't know how to cancel the orders, I can delete them but it says cancel. any ideas?

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm actually in Year 14 (long story :p) but I picked Computing up as an AS this year. I wrote mine in COMAL, which is pretty much Pascal. What I done was rely on structures and have a separate field to mark a specific order as either Pending, Collected or Cancelled. Then the program would simply skip an order over if it had been cancelled, which saved the hassle of using (and reordering) stacks for the order-list.

I can compile my program and put it online if anyone wants to see.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 11:08 AM
oh right, weird.

Good idea! That would have been useful butI used stupid Access so not much good. I wasn't that good at programming (only used Pascal) so really had to use Access. I've gotta do that damn cancelling thing and 3 queries to work out prices, discounts etc on the bill and then i should have finished the damn thing. Then i do the write up...:(

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Oh shit! I have a load to do!

Year 12. you the same right?

Using Access too, although i'm occasionally using the programming thingy built into it as well.

Yes, I am year 12, and I know about Access basic, but never seen the need to use it

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 11:13 AM
for not allowing a customer to order more than 5 turkeys? That's when i used it.

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 11:22 AM
for not allowing a customer to order more than 5 turkeys? That's when i used it.
Sadly, that is something that isn't automated in my system

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Click here (http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2AYYDZHWUQI9N17OT9M4DN8KKY) if anyone's interested in my completed program (yes, aren't I such a megalomaniac?). It's all compiled, so no one can steal my glorious code :p

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 11:23 AM
^ ooh, thank you

*drools at wonderfully completed program thingy*

dammit! bloody windows XP won't let it work. :mad: damn you bill gates!

Sadly, that is something that isn't automated in my system

well just write some coding for it, if you want i could send you summat?

The Talking Pie
04-16-2005, 11:28 AM
That's weird... I just compiled it on XP...

Jimbob2005
04-16-2005, 11:29 AM
^ ooh, thank you

*drools at wonderfully completed program thingy*

well just write some coding for it, if you want i could send you summat?
Actually you are OK, because the whole system doesn't have to be fully automated, and from the way it works, there won't be more than 5 turkeys per customer anyway.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 11:29 AM
really? ok, sure.

That's weird... I just compiled it on XP...

yup, i think my computer just enjoys pissing me off - it refused to let me install Access too so i have to use the school computers for Terry's Turkeys!