PDA

View Full Version : The Incredibles.

Vera
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I watched the DVD today and man, that movie still kicks ass. The comedy is brilliant, the animation is top notch, the design work is beautiful, the music is fucking ace and I could just sit here all night talking about it.

I didn't realize until now that Brad Bird does the voice for Edna Mode (only watched the full credits now). And that character? Owns the film.

This one won an Oscar for a reason.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Damn, it's one of those movies that I've never seen all the way through, no matter how I hard I try. It's infuriating. I must, MUST see it.

By the way, what happened to leaving?

Amanda
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I've tried watching it twice, something ended up getting in the way. Got offered to watch at a friend's house, but he rented it in portuguese and i refuse to watch that movie in any language but english. So now im gonna rent it this weekend, and hopefully by monday i'll be able to post something more interesting here...

Vera
04-15-2005, 04:00 PM
By the way, what happened to leaving?

April Fool's, Mr Intelligent.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Ah.

I have been humbled.

Though then again, it was hardly an obvious April Fool's. So, I refuse to be humbled.

Vera
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I misread that "humped".

Amanda
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I misread that "humped".
LOL!!!!!! :D

UnityMinersrulz
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
i have seen it twice it is kinda cool but it gets boring after awhile

Noodles is gay
04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I've only seen it once and thought it was utter crap - it was extremely tedious, childish and not even mildly funny.

JoY
04-16-2005, 04:26 AM
I love, love, LOVE & ADORE that movie.

Vera
04-16-2005, 05:32 AM
I've only seen it once and thought it was utter crap - it was extremely tedious, childish and not even mildly funny.

Are we talking about the same movie?

Or did one of your fellow Classics students casually shove a pole up your arse before you watched it?

ShadowPyro
04-16-2005, 05:36 AM

Are we talking about the same movie?

Or did one of your fellow Classics students casually shove a pole up your arse before you watched it?
lol..... This is a great movie. I really liked it.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 05:36 AM
yeah we're talking about the same movie - i'm allowed to not like it, aren't i? Different people like different movies.

Vera
04-16-2005, 05:38 AM
I see your point.

I mean, some people did go see Glitter.

Twice.

JoY
04-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I see your point.

I mean, some people did go see Glitter.

Twice.
my roommate thinks 'Final Destination' is a fantastic movie.

Vera
04-16-2005, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine liked Blade Trinity.

Mota Boy
04-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Yeah, but you also think Quentin Tarantino is hot and that life was better two thousand years ago. Your opinions are completely ass-backwards.

I bought myself "The Incredibles" for my birthday.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Yeah, but you also think Quentin Tarantino is hot and that life was better two thousand years ago. Your opinions are completely ass-backwards.

I bought myself "The Incredibles" for my birthday.

So? I don't have to like this crappy film, what's everyone's fucking problem?

You had to buy a birthday present for yourself? dear me.

Vera
04-16-2005, 07:53 AM
When was your birthday? Did I completely miss it? Oh no! Sorry. :[

I was slightly disappointed at the DVD extras, I wanted more blabbing about what Bird's very original idea for the film's plot was, as the main villan wasn't Syndrome to begin with. I also wanted more blabbing about the evolution of characters. There was some and I loved it but just not enough.

I'm just too used to LoTR-like DVD extras. Those are just so totally satisfying. So much blabbing. And inside jokes. And more blabbing. I love it.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, ...and that life was better two thousand years ago.

It was - society didn’t idolize celebrities who are really no better than anyone else, but instead people understood that they should only regard the useful/contributing people in high esteem. People today are extremely materialistic, selfish, rude, lazy…There are fucking anorexic 10year old girls with boyfriends, makeup and dreams of getting pregnant at 15. It’s just wrong; morals mean nothing to people nowadays. It’s not like it actually matters much though because in a few years time someone will launch a nuke and the entire damned human race will be wiped out.

Mota Boy
04-16-2005, 08:01 AM
So? I don't have to like this crappy film, what's everyone's fucking problem?
All I did was point out that all your opinions are wrong - you don't have to take it personally.

You had to buy a birthday present for yourself? dear me.
Let me guess... you're still living with your parents, right? Your confusion is understandable, but when you actually start living off on your own, you'll know how it goes.

And Vera - I turned 21 a couple weeks ago. There was a thread about it, but it was a stealth-birthday thread, so you may've missed it. RXP thought it was for him, it was cute.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:01 AM
It was - society didn’t idolize celebrities who are really no better than anyone else, but instead people understood that they should only regard the useful/contributing people in high esteem. People today are extremely materialistic, selfish, rude, lazy…There are fucking anorexic 10year old girls with boyfriends, makeup and dreams of getting pregnant at 15. It’s just wrong; morals mean nothing to people nowadays. It’s not like it actually matters much though because in a few years time someone will launch a nuke and the entire damned human race will be wiped out.

.. at the same time there was no electricity, you could easily die of starvation from a famine or a drought, no weed, no cigarettes, no concrete method of survival; you could be eaten by wild animals or worked to death through slavery.

Sounds like tremendous fun.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:08 AM
.. at the same time there was no electricity, you could easily die of starvation from a famine or a drought, no weed, no cigarettes, no concrete method of survival; you could be eaten by wild animals or worked to death through slavery.

Sounds like tremendous fun.

do we really need electricity? no.

Perhaps you could die yes, although that rarely happened because cities would just trade with others and, if we're talking about Rome, the senate ensured that there was always a supply of free food - they imported it from all round the empire.

They did have weed. :p Not cigarettes but people really don't need cigarettes to live!

'Eaten by wild animals' ! HAHAHA! Brilliant! You can get eaten by wild animals today. Solution: get a fucking spear or live in a city!

Not all slaves were badly treated. I hate it when ignorant people always choose to highlight the slavery issue - slavery was far worse and cruel in the transatlantic slave trade in the 17/18 centuries.

Vera
04-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Everyone has morals. Not every kid who goes to school wants to shoot the entire student body of it. Bad things happened in ancient Greece, as well.

Mota - Gotcha. You probably haven't given your birthday in your Livejournal info, otherwise I would've seen it there & remembered. A few weeks back I didn't visit this place even semi-daily.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't quite understand why you assume all of the world was like Rome 2,000 years ago. I assure you, Barbarian Gaul was hardly the same as Rome.

By the way.. it's spelled Senate.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:12 AM
I don't quite understand why you assume all of the world was like Rome 2,000 years ago. I assure you, Barbarian Gaul was hardly the same as Rome.

By the way.. it's spelled Senate.

I don't assume the entire world was like Rome, as i know it wasn't. I don't admire barbarian gaul.

I know; typo - i have already corrected myself.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:14 AM
You don't admire it.. so you choose to ignore it's existence?

If you think life was better 2,000 years ago but only in Rome, say that specifically. In Gaul or Britannia it wasn't the same as in Rome.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't ignore it's existence, i merely didn't comment on it. I didn't comment on people in Africa or Antarctica either but I’m not denying their existence.

I didn’t actually specifically say the words ‘I believe that life was better 2000 years ago’ – that was mota boy, I merely assumed that you ignorant people would realize that I was talking about Greece and Rome; next time I shall try to be a little more explicit for you.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Oh, yes. We're totally ignorant. Heaven forbid we should not draw the natural conclusion that when you say "life was better 2,000 years ago", you are infact only referring to 2 small parts of the world. Deary me, we are idiots, are we not?

Mota Boy
04-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Mission accomplished.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Mission accomplished.

What do you mean?

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:25 AM
well yes actually. It's only natural that one would be talking about Greece and Rome, those were the two major civilizations at that time. Similarly to when one says 'i study classics' it's usually assumed that one studies Greece and Rome mainly, rather than America in the 4th Century BC.

also when i say:
"Perhaps you could die yes, although that rarely happened because cities would just trade with others and, if we're talking about Rome, the senate ensured that there was always a supply of free food - they imported it from all round the empire."

That's rather explicit.

Methinks that you have realized that you cannot win so now attack ad hominem instead.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:30 AM
"Win"? Since when is this an argument?

And when you're studying a time of history, you do not necessarily focus on only the major "players" of that time. For instance, the Second World War. When we studied it, we also studied the role of Russia, Africa and the British Colonies, even though most people would tend to think of Germany and Britain in WWII.

And not once did I refer to you studying classics, therefore it is a void point. Just because you study Rome and Greece does not automatically make it obvious to other people that it is only exclusively those civilisations that you admire.

For fuck's sake, get some humility.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:36 AM
You knew very well what i was talking about and you realized that i had some very valid arguments but rather than give examples of perhaps how life today is better instead you chose to attempt to discredit me by saying i didn't make the places i was talking about explicit enough. I thought it was blindingly obvious, obviously I was wrong about that and next time I shall say ‘in Greece’ or ‘in Rome’ especially for you, ok?

Although to be honest we have the exact same balance today – MEDCs and LEDCs (More/Less Economically Developed Countries) are similar to Greece/Rome and Gaul/Britannica, so I don’t think it actually matters that I didn’t say.

And not once did I refer to you studying classics, therefore it is a void point.

Read it again, slowly if necessary.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:37 AM
But it's all about the level of development. WHat would be considered a developed country 2,000 years ago would not be considered it today.

And besides, if there is a similar ratio, why was life better 2,000 years ago? Surely there would be no difference?

Vera
04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
The two major civilizations in EUROPE.

But no, the Chinese certainly never invented anything.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:42 AM
But it's all about the level of development. WHat would be considered a developed country 2,000 years ago would not be considered it today.

And besides, if there is a similar ratio, why was life better 2,000 years ago? Surely there would be no difference?

No they wouldn't be considered it today because we now have the 'wonders' of electricity etc, although in my opinion we really don’t need those, and it leads to greed, selfishness, materialism etc.

Because life in the ancient 'developed' places; Greece/Rome was, in my opinion, better than life in the 'developed' places (USA/UK) today. Which was my initial point, and now we have a circular argument.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Hmm. I don't think you quite realise the repercussions of having no electricity. No hot water without heating it up over a fire. No electric lights. No computer. No oven, microwave, TV, radio, etc. All very nice to be all pure about it, but I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

And corruption and materialism existed before electricity, it was hardly the cause.

Inshane
04-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Ill be honest and say I fell asleep during the movie.

:\

JoY
04-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I totally agree. for instance, women had it peachy-perfect in the old days. they grew up, IF they weren't thrown of the rocks right after their birth, were taught & programmed to serve, they never had to fulfill any standards on their looks, they met their future husband the age of ten, married him at the age of about, what? 16? their simple purpose was serving, sex & carrying babies, which of course had to be boys, or else they'd fail.

there was absolutely no selfishness. even the slaves had it -fantastic-. they could fight each other, lions & fun shit. female slaves were raped, but I'm sure they had it coming.

people in high esteem. now those fucking earned their respect, can't argue with that. if you're the son of a wealthy man, you deserve your respect, man.

caesars, definitely hard working people. busy with planning wars, putting thumbs up & down.. hiring philosophers, slaves & educated to advice them financially & in any other way... fucking women, now that's hard work. eating the finest food, drinking the finest wine from a sofa, now that's hard work!

& I didn't even mention their morals! morals of pride, of honour. not to mention pride & honour are not at all selfish qualities. not to forget everyone was equal. everyone had human rights, some just didn't deserve them. simple. you can't expect low life, sons of whores, or blacksmiths, to have rights. my god. what happened to society??

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Hmm. I don't think you quite realise the repercussions of having no electricity. No hot water without heating it up over a fire. No electric lights. No computer. No oven, microwave, TV, radio, etc. All very nice to be all pure about it, but I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

And corruption and materialism existed before electricity, it was hardly the cause.

Really?!?! :eek: No electric lights or TV (which i don't watch anyway)!

I do quite realize the implications of no electricity, however the Romans managed fine; they had public heated baths and even under-floor heating (hypocaust, in case you wanna learn more :cool:).

You don't need electricity for an oven. I have a gas oven (i know they didn't use gas ovens!) but one can easily make an oven - the Greeks and Romans had ovens and baked bread.

Electricity was just one factor which contributed to the downfall of society.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 08:53 AM
WHat a very arrogant view. Society is doing fine. It's just different. In many ways it's far, far improved since ancient Rome. I bet you wouldn't have liked to have lived 2,000 years ago - as Joy said, you had only one purpose in life. Think about it.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 09:08 AM
I totally agree. for instance, women had it peachy-perfect in the old days. they grew up, IF they weren't thrown of the rocks right after their birth, were taught & programmed to serve, they never had to fulfill any standards on their looks, they met their future husband the age of ten, married him at the age of about, what? 16? their simple purpose was serving, sex & carrying babies, which of course had to be boys, or else they'd fail.

Actually I think you’re thinking more of Muslims and the 12-17th Centuries in Britain with your ideas about marriage. Greek girls would marry later than 16, maybe 18, or if they were a Spartan it would be later than that.

Women did sometimes have more of a place in society than that – Sappho, for instance.

there was absolutely no selishness. even the slaves had it -fantastic-. they could fight each other, lions & fun shit. female slaves were raped, but I'm sure they had it coming.

Again the 17/18th Centuries slave trade was far worse than what Greeks did to theirs. The Romans didn’t actually use lions all that often (yet another common misconception) and were ok to their slaves in general. Gladiators, if they were skilled enough, could be extremely popular (as shown in the film, Gladiator) and could even be freed later on, either by buying it with their winnings or by being given a wooden gladius.

people in high esteem. now those fucking earned their respect, can't argue with that. if you're the son of a wealthy man, you deserve your respect, man.

caesars, definitely hard working people. busy with planning wars, putting thumbs up & down.. hiring philosophers, slaves & educated to advice them financially & in any other way... fucking women, now that's hard work. eating the finest food, drinking the finest wine from a sofa, now that's hard work!

& I didn't even mention their morals! morals of pride, of honour. not to mention pride & honour are not at all selfish qualities. not to forget everyone was equal. everyone had human rights, some just didn't deserve them. simple. you can't expect low life, sons of whores, or blacksmiths, to have rights. my god. what happened to society??

Anyone can give examples of people who didn’t deserve respect then (similarly to now – the British monarchy are exactly the same as the aristocrats which you highlight there), but there were also people who defiantly did – the great mathematicians, philosophers, playwrights, sophists, generals, orators etc the list is endless.

Well actually some of Rome’s emperors were extremely good rulers – two good examples; Caesar, himself, gave a lot to the people and was extremely popular and Vespasian built the Colosseum. You know, the emperors did a lot more than what you make them out to have done – if it wasn’t for Rome the world would be a very different place today.

Well I was thinking more of Athens here – the true democracy. I am aware of the corruption in Rome and I believe that the Athenian democracy was a much better system. In Athens every citizen was equal; nothing stopped them having a say in politics if ‘they had something to contribute’. So actually they were pretty equal.

Methinks that you're all extremely misinformed.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 09:09 AM
WHat a very arrogant view. Society is doing fine. It's just different. In many ways it's far, far improved since ancient Rome. I bet you wouldn't have liked to have lived 2,000 years ago - as Joy said, you had only one purpose in life. Think about it.

I would have quite enjoyed being a Spartan woman, actually - i have thought about it.

Mr. Noodles
04-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I've seen The Incredibles.
It's awesome.

JoY
04-16-2005, 09:21 AM
a SPARTAN woman??!?!?
oh my goodness..

you do know, that most female babies were killed by throwing them off the cliff "of rejection" right after they were born in Sparta, right? that Spartan children grew up motherless, right? that most children died before the age of twelve, because only the strongest survived Spartan tests & 'education', right? that after the age of twelve, when they were still alive, they'd proved themselves to be almost good enough for the Spartan society, but not after they fought each other to death & secretly robbed & killed Helenes in the night, right?!

the Spartans had an -amazing- feeling of community & superiority. no matter how small their community was, because most people died in the process of growing up, they felt like they were on top of the world. they trained & devoted their whole life to be entirely & completely emotionless fighting machines. then the Persians attacked them in Thermopylae with a big ass army & they were finished.

you have NOT thought about it. & if you did, just tell me you didn't.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 09:29 AM
a SPARTAN woman??!?!?
oh my goodness..

you do know, that most female babies were killed by throwing them off the cliff "of rejection" right after they were born in Sparta, right? that Spartan children grew up motherless, right? that most children died before the age of twelve, because only the strongest survived Spartan tests & 'education', right? that after the age of twelve, when they were still alive, they'd proved themselves to be almost good enough for the Spartan society, but not after they fought each other to death & secretly robbed & killed Helenes in the night, right?!

the Spartans had an -amazing- feeling of community & superiority. no matter how small their community was, because most people died in the process of growing up, they felt like they were on top of the world. they trained & devoted their whole life to be entirely & completely emotionless fighting machines. then the Persians attacked them in Thermopylae with a big ass army & they were finished.

Really :eek: WOW! I didn’t know any of that I must be utterly misinformed about everything!

By ‘fought each other to death & secretly robbed & killed Helenes in the night’ you mean the Helots right? Not the Greeks! Also they only fought to the death when their opponent refused to give up, they could give up but usually chose not to.

They weren’t ‘finished’ in Thermopylae – they only sent 300! They realized that they couldn’t possibly fight off the [reported] 3million Persians! But Thermopylae was a suicide mission and they knew it – which is why they only sent men with living sons; the idea wasn’t to defeat the Persians but to delay them and it worked and Xerxes didn’t take Greece, partly because of the Spartan sacrifice at Thermopylae. Anyway Sparta fought Athens in the Peloponnesian war c.40years later(and won) so definitely weren’t ‘finished’.

JoY
04-16-2005, 09:53 AM
yes, yes, I know all this. (& I did mean the Helots, my mistake)
why would the almighty Spartans sent a lovely Kamikazi army, eh? WHY? because they were going to die & they knew it. even fucking Delphi told them they'd die. after Thermopylae, the Spartans retreated. they ran. of course not for long, because when the Greek optimistically came closer, the Spartans came back & defeated them. they used the same trick later in time. then Xerxes heard of a goat path, an easy path, that went around the Greek positions & ended behind their lines. the Spartans fought couragiously & their battles are still an example for any army, even of these days. but Leonidas died & 300 Spartans survived. the rest was killed.

Thermopylae was a triumph for the Spartans, because they'd indeed managed to the delay the Persians. but in the end, it was useless for the Spartans. not for the rest of the Greeks though, since they had time to organise. Athenians had time to build ships & take control of the seas again.

I know they had the option to give up. & giving up would mean being rejected by your entire community, by everything & everyone they'd worked & fought so hard for in their lives. practically their only meaning to life was being part of that superior community, that kicked so much ass, because they hadn't a clue what emotion was, but they at least knew how to kill a couple. do you -really- believe giving up was ever, ever a considerable option for the Spartans? it would've been about the same as death, but only if they didn't & died in the fight, they died at least with a bit of honour.

HornyPope
04-16-2005, 09:58 AM
"Go tell the spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie."- One of the most kick ass lines ever.

Bella, you have your history wrong. I'd correct it but i'm running out. And it really doesn't concern me anyways.

I'm reminded of a monologue by Don Quixote that is somewhat satirical of your the discussion--the whole group--and i'll remember to post it later today.

RXP
04-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Meh Shrek 2 is better.

Nina
04-16-2005, 10:01 AM
i never felt the need to watch it.
shrek always seemed funnier.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
yes, yes, I know all this. (& I did mean the Helots, my mistake)
why would the almighty Spartans sent a lovely Kamikazi army, eh? WHY? because they were going to die & they knew it. even fucking Delphi told them they'd die. after Thermopylae, the Spartans retreated. they ran. of course not for long, because when the Greek optimistically came closer, the Spartans came back & defeated them. they used the same trick later in time. then Xerxes heard of a goat path, an easy path, that went around the Greek positions & ended behind their lines. Leonidas died & 300 Spartans survived. the rest was killed.

I know all that. Delphi told every Greek state to medize, and that Xerxes would crush them all – one of the few occasions when it gave bad advice. But to the Spartans it said that either one of their kings will die or their state will be taken by the Persians; the Spartans preferred the former and hence Leonidas was willing to give his life.

Thermopylae was a triumph for the Spartans, because they'd indeed managed to the delay the Persians. but in the end, it was useless for the Spartans. not for the rest of the Greeks though, since they had time to organise. Athenians had time to build ships & take control of the seas again.

It wasn’t useless for the Spartans, because without their delay of the Persians Greece would have been taken and the history of the world would have changed completely. Thermopylae is similar to Dunkirk – both are technically defeats but helped the war effort in general so are like victories.

I know they had the option to give up. & giving up would mean being rejected by your entire community, by everything & everyone they'd worked & fought so hard for in their lives. practically their only meaning to life was being part of that superior community, that kicked so much ass, because they hadn't a clue what emotion was, but they at least knew how to kill a couple. do you -really- believe giving up was ever, ever a considerable option for the Spartans? it would've been about the same as death, but only if they didn't & died in the fight, they died at least with a bit of honour.

Well in practice bouts they could give up without dishonour from anyone else, but they chose not to because it would be letting themselves down. It was only in real battles, if they ran away, that what you mentioned would have happened.

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Well, your opinions still suck ass.

Seriously, I'm so sick of this argument. THE ANCIENT TIMES WERE NOT FUCKING PARADISE. They're not superior to modern times. If you think we shouldn't trash the ancient times, perhaps you shouldn't trash the modern days, either.

This is what I believe in, because I fully respect and honour ancient philosophers and scientists of those days; DEVELOPMENT.

We are here because of development. Development of all of their thoughts. This is why we live for more than 40 years. This is what rocks about today.

Things are not any better than they were back then in certain aspects. There are still people starving, there is still inequality but I think a lot of people are pissed off that you're basically saying that all that progress throughout centuries has been absolutely useless.

I think even the ancient people would not be happy if you think that.

In short, Aristotle hates you.

RXP
04-16-2005, 10:07 AM
People who do classics are sexaully repressed I heard.

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Shrek is funny but The Incredibles is great in nearly every aspect. Humor, design, computer animation, action, characters... It's simply a terrific combination.

Please give it a go, Nina. I don't think you will not like it.

Dush's opinion I won't even try to change as he's quite clearly an idiot.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
^ you heard wrong RXP.

Vera: i did not even start this argument! I was merely defending my opinions! And if you think about development through the ages they took several steps backwards after Greece and Rome! I don't 'trash the modern days' i just point out the shortcomings in society and what i can actually SEE is happening.

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:14 AM
If you view today's world with such critic realism, why do you not view yesterday's world with the same?

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 10:16 AM
I do, but i also like a lot of things about it. Things which i can see are clearly not here now. Things which, if they were here, would greatly improve the quality of life for people (perhaps not 'chavs' or pregnant tenagers, but i really don't care about them) and they world would ACTUALLY be a better place.

we really need a combination of both, but, alas, tis impossible.

JoY
04-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Meh Shrek 2 is better.
I saw Shrek (just Shrek, you know, the first) & I loved it to death. but having seen the Incredibles, I must say I love that movie to death even more. still, Hercules absolutely ruled my socks.

Hercules to living statue of Zeus, wondering why he still isn't hero enough to be accepted by the Gods;
"but.. but.. I'm an action figure! *squeeze squeeze*"

Hades, when he invades Mount Olympus with the Titans;
"oh Zeus-y, I'm ho-ome!"

Hermes, when Zeus throws a party, because Hercules is born;
"Fabulous party, you know, I haven't seen this much love in a room since Narcissus discovered himself"

Hades, when his little plan to kill Hercules fails:
"I can't believe this guy. I throw everything I've got at him. And it doesn't even-- "
(sees Pain wearing Hercules sandals)
"What are those?"
Pain:
"Um.. I don't know. I thought they looked kinda dashing."
Hades:
"I've got 24 hours to get rid of this bozo, or the entire scheme I've been setting up for 18 years goes up in smoke and you are wearing his merchandise!!!"
(Panic interrupts them by slurping some cola from a Hercules plasic cup)
Panic:
"Thirsty?"

JoY
04-16-2005, 10:39 AM
& almost forgot!

the Titans, when on their way to Mount Olympus to kill Zeus;
Lythos: "Crush Zeus!"
Hydros: "Freeze him!"
Pyros: "Melt Zeus!"
Stratos: "Blow him away!"
Titans: "Zeus!"
Hades: "Uh, Guys? Olympus would be that way."

oh man, *wipes away a tear from laughter* that movie just kills me.

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Emperor's New Groove is another hysterical animation film. It just kills me. It has the sort of random humor that just works fantastically. Plus the design is superneat.

HornyPope
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I'll make no further no comment on the topic (for present at least) save to kindly notify you that not a single of you plebians would be fit to live in such times. Even if you never wanted in the first place. You worry over ethics, your well being and leisure. Your kin has no place. Now--the monologue I spoke of. Quite humourous in nature and worth a read and very satirical of the nostalgy of Golden times of yore we--well, some of us--like to remember.

Happy times and fortunate ages were those which our ancestors called Golden, not because gold, so prized in this Iron age, was gotten in that happy time without any labours, but because those who lived then knew not those two words Thine and Mine. In that holy age all things wre in common: to provide his daily sustentance no man needed to do aught but lift up his hands and pluck his food from the lusty oaks, which generously invited him to father their sweet, ripe fruit. The clear mountains and running brookes offered him bountifully their transparent waters. In the clefts of the rocks and the hollow trees the busy, provident bees fashioned their commonwealth, offering to every hand without interest the fertile harvest of their fragrant toil. The robust cork trees, inspired by their own courtesey alone, divested themselves of their broad light barks, with which men began to cover their houses built on rough stakes, using them only as defence against the inclemency of heaven.

All then was peace, all friendship, all concord. The heavy share of the crooked plough had not yet dared open and expose the compassionate bowels of our first mother; for she, without complusion, offered up through all parts of her fertile and spacious bossom whatever seeded her. Then did the innocent and beauteous young girls trip from dale to dale and hill to hill with braided locks of flowing tresses, wearing just enough clothing to conceal modestly what modesdly seek and has sought to hide. Their adornments were not like those now in fashion among people, who value, so highly Tyrian purple and silk fretted in countless patterns; but being decked in some green dock leaves interwoven with ivy, who knows but they outshone our court ladies of today arrayed in the rare, outlandish inventions which idle luxury had thought them. In those days amorous conceits found simple and unaffected expression in the very form and manner in which they were conceived, without any artificial circumlocutions to enhance their value. Neither fraud, nor dedceit, nor malice had yet interfered with truth and plain dealing. Justice was then contained within her proper bounds; she was untroubled and unbiased by favour and self-interest, which today so belittle, disturb and persecute her. Law was not yet left to the personal interpretation of the judge, for then there were neither judges nor causes to be judged. Modest maidens went about, as I have said, alone wherever they pleased, without fear or danger from the unbridled freedom and lustfull desires of others; and if they did lose their honour it was only because of their own natural inclination. But now in the detestable age of ours, no damsel is safe eventhough she were hidden and shut up in some labyrinth like that of Crete; for even there the amorous pestilence would enter through some cranny, or through the air, owing to the zealous plotting of some rascal, and drive them to perdition despite their seclusion.

The monologue goes longer leading up to the bit where Don Quixote announces his purpose in these trecherous, wicked times, but i'll cut short in this part.

Vera
04-17-2005, 05:41 AM
But plebe life rocks hardcore. :[

Mota Boy
04-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll make no further no comment on the topic (for present at least) save to kindly notify you that not a single of you plebians would be fit to live in such times. Even if you never wanted in the first place. You worry over ethics, your well being and leisure.
You act as if, were we raised in those times, we would have the same values as we currently do.

Meh Shrek 2 is better.
Shrek 2 isn't even better than Shrek 1.

And Nina, if you aren't watching the movie because you don't think it will be as funny as Shrek, then 1) you're missing out and 2) you're avoiding it for entirely the wrong reason.

Oh, and the mission is so fucking accomplished.

Nicole
04-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I love that movie. Especially the extra with the babysitter (Jack-Jack attack?). That baby rules.

JoY
04-18-2005, 12:24 AM
oh yes, that was priceless.

Vera
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I loooove that movie! I love that squirrel, er, chipmunk, whatever. It was cute. "squeakity squeak squeaker"
Yes, the squirrel kicks ass. I loved all the random humor, too, some things just made no sense but they were there just for the humor and it worked so it didn't matter if it didn't make any sense. And the voices were just spot-on, David Spade as Cuzco and so on...

And yess, the Jack-Jack Attack owned. It just shows that the movie was made with love and dedication, as all great movies.