PDA

View Full Version : The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy Movie

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Is anyone going to see this? I assume a lot of people have read the book.

I'm definitely going to see it, as Hitch Hiker's is one of the funniest books I've ever read. Though, I'm a little concerned after watching the trailer - I don't like how Marvin looks at all. I always assumed him to look something like the exploding robot from Futurama. He looks like those pandas from the 3 advert.

nieh
04-16-2005, 06:55 AM
yeah, I don't like the way Marvin looks either. And I don't like his voice either. I always kinda picture him sounding more along the lines of Zazu from the Lion King. The whole trailer makes me worry a little bit, but i'm still gonna see it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 06:58 AM
I think the voice for Marvin from the TV series was absolutely spot on. If not that, something robotic and depressed. Just not how they've done it in the film.

I don't know - the point is, his head's way too big.

punkangel
04-16-2005, 06:59 AM
actually, when it comes out here, I'm going to go see it, it might be like space balls or something...but I'm definitly going with my friend, Katie, and Alexis....best friends...dur

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Definitely read the book before you see the movie. It'll only take about a day to read and it's so worth it.

Noodles is gay
04-16-2005, 07:00 AM
I'll probably go see it but i seriously doubt it'll be as good as the book.

When's it out? I haven't see any adverts for it or anything.

punkangel
04-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Definitely read the book before you see the movie. It'll only take about a day to read and it's so worth it.

okay, it better be good...I don't like to read...especially when I have two books I'm already reading for skool

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 07:05 AM
April 29th it's out in the UK. Marvin commands you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/TheUnholyNightbringer/HitchHikers.jpg

punkangel
04-16-2005, 07:06 AM
I don't know when it comes out here..oh well

Mota Boy
04-16-2005, 07:12 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy movie is bad. Really bad. You just won't believe how vastly, staggeringly, jaw-droppingly bad it is. I mean, you might think that The Phantom Menace was a hopelessly misguided attempt to reinvent a much-loved franchise by people who, though well-intentioned, completely failed to understand what made the original popular - but that's just peanuts to the Hitchhiker's movie. Listen. (http://www.planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html)

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh well. I'll have to see for myself.

nieh
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Here's the thing...Douglas Adams was very involved with the screenwriting process before he died. He created John Malkovich's character for the movie despite the fact that he was never in any of the other versions. There are going to be changes, and many of them are Douglas Adams approved changes. Also, if you've read the "Ultimate Hitchhiker's guide" with the big intro written by him, he points out how every time he wrote an alternate version of something (i.e. taking it from the radio show, putting it to the book or mini-series), he always changed it and made it so something contradicted something that was said in the original version. So changes are something that should be expected considering how many times he's done it on his own.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-16-2005, 07:22 AM
I haven't read the book....Perhaps I should?

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-16-2005, 07:23 AM
On a side note, I find it atrocious that Zaphod doesn't have 2 heads. That is a pretty startling omission. Even the TV series Zaphod had 2 heads, even though it was just a prosthetic one.

Vera
04-16-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm not going to fully judge it based on ONE bad review, even if it is a highly quoted bad review online.

The original website shows that it was written on April 1st, so there is also the possibility of an April Fool's. The review in whole has several things that suggests that it indeed is written as a spoof.

I seriously have a hard time believing a lot of critique until I witness a movie myself. Especially a movie such as this, which has fans of all kinds, different types of opinions and some fans will ultimately probably enjoy it and some won't.

Why I believe it will be worth the price of a movie ticket is what I've seen from the website. There are some sketches and some seriously dedicated visual design visible there. This usually promises good as it just shows how much thought the makers have put into the whole design that hopefully will translate to how they dealt with the story.

OF COURSE it'll be a disappointment in some aspects, there are very very very few movies who compare properly to the books (and again, these are matters of opinions - some think PJ pulled off the LoTR movies fantastically, some loathe the films, for example I think Trainspotting is just as good a film as it is a book) and right now, the most realistic outcome for the film is that it'll be good but not brilliant like the books.

My main concern isn't whether it's bad but rather whether it's rape or not. Because if it's rape, I will feel very stupid sitting in the movie theater.

Especially seeing as how I have this insane temptation to going to the premiere with my bathrobe & towel on.

Vera
04-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Further things:

Test screening, most likely. They might've changed scene order, special effects might've not all been in place, some stuff still to be added...

So you know, see for yourself, don't believe the site with the bright turquoise backround.

Nina
04-16-2005, 10:07 AM
the pic TheUnholyNightbringer posted made me SOOOO excited, i feel like a little girl for being so obsessive over the idea of seeing the movie.
i dont think anybody would be able to give full credit to the book, since i believe it is impossible to make a movie as good as the book. BUT one can try, and if people are able to do the lotr-movie better than expected (how can you deny that?), i am confident that this could turn out similar.

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Main problem is the fact that Adams didn't really write a plot in the first H2G2 books. They were just a series of events, tied together, but not creating some sort of straight storyline that reached a certain point.

I think that's why they need to make some drastic changes.

Nina
04-16-2005, 10:14 AM
...yeah.
but why is the general idea that changes are automatically BAD? a book is simply not a movie, and to make a movie work, changes need to be done... i find that pretty obvious.

so basically, i agree with you, and wonder why some people just wont get it (aka "oh why was faramir made slightly evil in the movies blablabla"....just one personal example of mine).

Vera
04-16-2005, 10:22 AM
I understand some of the changes made to LOTR. Some I just don't plain like in terms of how it works in the movie. Then again, I still haven't gone through all the ROTK commentaries so maybe PJ excuses some of those things in there and then I'll understand it better.

I guess it's just the fact people are so used to the books and view anything that isn't from the books as an abomination. I really love the Trainspotting book and I think the movie is equally great even though it differs from the book in certain parts a lot.

Same with Fight Club.

As long as the movie is great on its own and is faithful to the book in terms of ..style, I guess, or perhaps spirit is a better word, I know I'll like it. There's always the difficulty because you basically have to make the movie BRILLIANT as opposed to just good in order for the book fans too to enjoy it immensely.

A movie is always one reader's vision of the book. In this case it's very different because the story is mostly original, if not basically worked out by Adams himself. And different readers view the book differently. So it's understable that it just can't fit everyone's perception of the book.

notoriousdoc
04-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I think the voice for Marvin from the TV series was absolutely spot on. If not that, something robotic and depressed. Just not how they've done it in the film.

I don't know - the point is, his head's way too big.

but what about the brain the size of a planet hmmm...???

nieh
04-16-2005, 11:24 AM
but what about the brain the size of a planet hmmm...???

he could've meant that metaphorically.

notoriousdoc
04-16-2005, 11:29 AM
i doubt that im sure douglas would have meant it literally to be satirical. :p :p :p

Eccentric Sara
04-16-2005, 11:38 AM
I have read the book,but it was years ago. I found it a bit dull to be honest. I dunno. I guess I'm not a sci-fi /fantasy-type person. :(

ninth
04-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Also, if you've read the "Ultimate Hitchhiker's guide" with the big intro written by him, he points out how every time he wrote an alternate version of something (i.e. taking it from the radio show, putting it to the book or mini-series), he always changed it and made it so something contradicted something that was said in the original version. So changes are something that should be expected considering how many times he's done it on his own.
I was just to about to grab my Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide and quote Adams when I came across your comment because it's exactly what I was thinking.

I always assumed him to look something like the exploding robot from Futurama.
Yeah, that kinda what I expected him to look like too, what with the leg that he has later on in the series (wasn't it a scepter or something of that nature?). I thought he would be a robot that just kinda looked thrown together. But I am extremely excited that Alan Rickman is doing Marvin's voice, as I fucking love that guy.

Vera
04-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I imagined him to be closer to R2D2 in size. The movie Marvin looks fucking enormous.