PDA

View Full Version : everyone with schoolpressure, share my pain.

JoY
04-17-2005, 09:52 AM
I should really, really, really study anatomy. but I fell asleep on my book. on fucking Lohman. the man will never forgive me.

I saw in the +/- topic, that quite a few suffer from educational pressure at the moment & have exams the following week. want to share with me? what are the exams about? did you get to studying the last few days? do you think you'll pass your tests?

maybe we can stimulate each other to nail these motherfucking exams. we'll form a nice geek-club, too.

RXP
04-17-2005, 09:54 AM
I got exams in like 3 weeks. Been studying hard. Go to the library everday and do loads of work. But the thing is I have a crap memory so I am rubbish at remembering the amount of cases I need to remember. it's stupid there's like 600+ cases. No way.

BUt oh well. This year is worth 25% of the degree. Next year is worth the rest and that's where half of the stuff is in essay form which I'm awesome at so I'll be fine.

Still I should get a decent grade. But I just hate the pressure. Then again I've always thrived under pressure so who knows. Blah.

Man I feel med students pain. I moan about learning cases but you guys. Oh my fucking days. THe amount you have to remember is insane.

Vicky
04-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I have exams starting in a month :/ egh

crazy_offspring_gal
04-17-2005, 10:08 AM
iv got an GCSE r.e exam in june (or july)
not looking forward to it, my grades are going down, so looks like im failing!
oh well, iv got till june/july to 'try' and get my grade up!
why did i take up religious education! WHY! :(

Dive
04-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I have one more week of classes and then finals. I have a lot of work to do this week but I'm not too worried about it.

Noodles is gay
04-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I have exams starting in a month :/ egh

will you stop saying that! You remind me everytime i read your posts!

notoriousdoc
ive got school pressure, they keep trying to make me study even though ive got a load of exam shit thats easy

original_psycho
Tomorrow I have a history exam simulation. It's not the real exam but it counts as something.
The real exams are in june(math, romanian, history and english) and I depend on them and my general grade from the 5th grade to the 8th grade, to get into a highschool of my level.
ANd I'm fucking breaking down because of them. =/

Vicky
04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
will you stop saying that! You remind me everytime i read your posts!

i rarely say about em. heh

Noodles is gay
04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
i rarely say about em. heh

yeah but no but yeah but argh!!!!! still too often for my liking!

Sixpence.
04-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I have to write a philosophy test in the next weeks (he hasn't said a exact date) but Philosophy tests aren't that hard. I'm pretty good at them, hehe. I get some tests back, tomorrow English and on Tuesday German.

Endymion
04-17-2005, 10:20 AM
i love my major, i take exams and that's it--no other work. it's so very, very stress-free. but then i added computer science... programming project are fun though, so i never put them off. again, no stress. i also don't study for the exams.... makes them more fun if you have to figure things out from first principles right on the spot.

JoY
04-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I got exams in like 3 weeks. Been studying hard. Go to the library everday and do loads of work.

you.. go studying in the library every fucking day, when your exams are at least two weeks away?

damn, I just started on mine & I've got it next wednesday. well there was a reality-check;
"hey Isa, remember you don't pass many exams lately? well, THAT's why."

Man I feel med students pain. I moan about learning cases but you guys. Oh my fucking days. THe amount you have to remember is insane.
I can't tell you how thoroughly I hate the process of becoming a doctor. but I can show you.

http://img107.echo.cx/img107/7224/anatomie8nx.jpg
Lohman. on which I fell asleep & which I should know by heart by wednesday. Clinical Anatomy & Embyology. especially Embryology sucks. I'm not interested in how we became the way we are, I'm not interested in all the pictures of worm-like fetuses, I just want to know how a human should function
-after- it's born. DOH.

http://img107.echo.cx/img107/4782/anatomie21rt.jpg
you might think this is a friendly size, but no worries. this isn't the ONLY book we have to know for wednesday. there are at least two more! yay!! plus, it has a fontsize, that even makes ME wear my glasses, or I'll get a headache. & my eyes are only -0.75 & -0.5. enough said.

http://img107.echo.cx/img107/277/anatomie39mr.jpg
see what I mean? & these are two of my lucky pages; they have pictures. not that we don't have to entirely know those too, but it's a shitload better than text. why? because you can't babble about anatomy. there's nothing to tell, or talk about.

"the ductus choledochus is a collection of the ductus hepaticus communis and the ductus cysticus. it enters the duodenum in the distale part of the pars descendens."
oh my god, SHUT UP!

can you tell this is pissing me off?

Amanda
04-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Im stuck with a huge exam next week...no strenght to study...God those professors wanna suck the life right outta me!

RXP
04-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Isn't there like crash course books you can get? In the book shop I saw crash course books for med students. It's like me tho. If I learnt properly I'd need to know a stupid amount. THere are thousand page books on say criminal law that I should know. But as it is I use these nutshell books and my notes.

Surely you don't need to know everything? Select a few topics to revise. There is on way I could learn hte whole of my course. that would just be stupid.

Sixpence.
04-17-2005, 10:30 AM
ISA I'M FUCKING SORRY FOR YOU! I CAN'T TELL HOW FUCKING SORRY I AM FOR YOU!

I feel stupid complaining about my shitload school tests when I see what you have to learn.

Noodles is gay
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
"the ductus choledochus is a collection of the ductus hepaticus communis and the ductus cysticus. it enters the duodenum in the distale part of the pars descendens."

heheheh - that's almost like reading Latin! :D

Izie
04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
I have exams in June, so you're a bit early for me... Then again, I am studying to keep up now (sort of), so that I don't have to do too much by the actual exams.

I want a grote onderscheiding. Meh.

JoY
04-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Iza -Cum Laude! with honour! you totally get my honour already for learning our crummy language. *kiss*

Noods -that ISN'T a positive thing. seriously. *pulls hair out of head*

& a lot of terminology is in Latin. you saw that correctly. but I've studied Latin in high school & it was supposed to be oh so useful for future med students.. let me tell you one thing; it isn't. I've said this before, but Marcus et Cornelia never encountered a fucking ductus choledochus, entering the duodenum in the fucking distale part of the pars descendens.

I'm going to repeat this a couple of times, because I'm très proud I finally know this much for my exam.

Sixpence. -I know! all I can say to high school students is..
*sings* "You ain't seen nothing yet. Be-be-be-baby, yeah, you ain't seen no-no-nothing yet."

Sixpence.
04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Sixpence. -I know! all I can say to high school students is..
*sings* "You ain't seen nothing yet. Be-be-be-baby, yeah, you ain't seen no-no-nothing yet."

Yeah, believe me: I'm really happy that I'm still going to high school.
Studying gonna be fun though. I'm looking forward to it but I also know that I'll damn it sometimes.

foxy
04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
i just had 4 exam the shatest being 1h 10min and i got another 2 hour exam and another 1h 30min exam tomorrow
nnnnnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Noodles is gay
04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Noods -that ISN'T a positive thing. seriously. *pulls hair out of head*

& a lot of terminology is in Latin. you saw that correctly. but I've studied Latin in high school & it was supposed to be oh so useful for future med students.. let me tell you one thing; it isn't. I've said this before, but Marcus et Cornelia never encountered a fucking ductus choledochus, entering the duodenum in the fucking distale part of the pars descendens.

I'm going to repeat this a couple of times, because I'm très proud I finally know this much for my exam.

HAHAHA! Oh well - at least you can entertain people with it! :D

Betty
04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Haha... you're a little late for me...

I just had 4 exams last week, my 4th being yesterday (Saturday, yeah...)

I did very much last minute studying for all of them, not because I wanted to, but because I had no time earlier since I was constantly working on assignments... and my exams were all 1 - 2 days apart. Unlike Endy, a large chunk of my grade is based on lab reports and those take up so so so so so so so much time. I still studied a fair bit though... maybe 15 hours solid per exam... and for each one I got no more than 2 hours sleep the night before. I dispell the myth that you must sleep to perform! Or rather, that knowing the material can be more important than sleeping if you don't know it in the first place.

This semester has been the worst semester of my life in terms of work. My social life has suffered big time, I do not sleep and am a basketcase, it's been just terrible. But, one more exam on Thursday and it's ALL DONE!

I AM SO EXCITED! I may have random bouts of excitement for being done exams and the semester from hell. Next year will rock.

Anyways, good luck on your exam on Wednesday Bella. I decided to not study biology for the very reason that I hate memorizing. I'm good at it, but it's boring and tedious. So, ENJOY!

JohnnyNemesis
As I told you recently, I do share your pain. I can only imagine how difficult it is to just settle down and get all that information down! That book looks almost scary in size, since I know you have more to deal with.

I have a 6 page essay due on Tuesday. It was supposed to be easy, but I worried that I'd be bored with it, so I told my professor that I'll choose a slightly more challenging topic because I wanted it to be interesting and fun to write. I probably shouldn't have done that, because now I'm lazy and struggling with it.

I have about 15 pages due for an essay in my Latino Studies class soon, and that should be kind of rough. Believe it or not, I'm not too worried about it. I have about 8 pages done already, and my plan will allow me to write it easily. Putting in the time is what worried me.

I also have to prepare to give a speech on the Dominican Independence on Friday morning. I have to wake up at 5:30 just to get to class on time that day, so I'll have a scratchy voice, I'll be groggy, and bah, I'm not feeling good about that speech at all.

Anyway, Isa Isa, I'm with you all the way. It'll be worth it in the end!

Izie
Iza -Cum Laude! with honour! you totally get my honour already for learning our crummy language. *kiss*

Nah, I'm not up for that yet. Apparently, here they have onderscheiding (average 13), grote onderscheiding (average 15) and grootste onderscheiding (average over 17), and then on top of that you can get the kum laude... I somehow doubt that :/ Especially given the nice policies of the UA, which make it quite difficult for students of humanities to get REALLY high grades... But I'll be fine with grote onderscheiding this year ;) If I get it :/

JoY
04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
HAHAHA! Oh well - at least you can entertain people with it! :D
I knew medicine had at least *some* purpose. though I didn't have this in mind, it still makes me smile. *grins*

JoY
04-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Nah, I'm not up for that yet. Apparently, here they have onderscheiding (average 13), grote onderscheiding (average 15) and grootste onderscheiding (average over 17), and then on top of that you can get the kum laude... I somehow doubt that :/ Especially given the nice policies of the UA, which make it quite difficult for students of humanities to get REALLY high grades... But I'll be fine with grote onderscheiding this year ;) If I get it :/
you don't get anything here, if you don't have an average grade that's 8/10 or higher. mean!

JoY
04-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Anyways, good luck on your exam on Wednesday Bella. I decided to not study biology for the very reason that I hate memorizing. I'm good at it, but it's boring and tedious. So, ENJOY!
I fully agree that it's boring & tedious. it's once you have a silly girl's future dream in your head, you start actually doing it. I can't imagine anyone would actually memorise this for fucking fun.

& THANKS. ;p

Ricky -whoa, busy-busy schedule. I mean, I knew you were busy, but man, you are BUSY. writing is fun, though. essays are pretty much yay, compared to studying, if you ask me. but still, it's work. wah.

Betty
04-17-2005, 10:59 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure you will make a great doctor when the time comes... I can't imagine anyone as caring as you not do a good job.

Vera
04-17-2005, 11:01 AM
I just had my exams, finished them on Monday and tomorrow I'll be getting 4 exams back. Dreading my Philosophy grade... :/

Anyway, yes, I'm in high school, have it easy for now... Just wrote a German composition, had it checked by Sim and about to e-mail it to the teacher.

Chris
04-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Well unfortunately I don't have anything helpful to add to the topic, just that I have a pretty laid back attitude towards exams and kinda find it hard to take them seriously. Yet somehow I still manage to do well :O That's my attitude towards life as well really, although working under pressure is when I am able to bottle down to it (which explains why I leave everything to near the deadline).

JoY
04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure you will make a great doctor when the time comes... I can't imagine anyone as caring as you not do a good job.
<3 thanks. that motivates me a little. just a little, but still.

Izie
04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
you don't get anything here, if you don't have an average grade that's 8/10 or higher. mean!

Eh, I really dunno how your system works, but lemme tell you, either I'm stuck with stupid people, or the exams here aren't easy. *shrug*

But good luck to you! You'll make it ;)

Endymion
04-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Unlike Endy, a large chunk of my grade is based on lab reports and those take up so so so so so so so much time.

i've had labs in the past and i know how much of a bitch they are :(.

luckily, i'm much metter at using seemingly unrelated abstractions together to find interesting results... namely theoretical computer science in natural systems (currently i'm VERY interested in Process Physics... i think it can be merged witch digital physics if you expand wolfram type-3 or type-4 behavior as the basis of quantum foam...). another 'interesting' area at the moment is artificial life... but that's a whole different topic.

Vera
04-17-2005, 11:27 AM
One of the reasons I didn't take Chemistry further than the obligatory course were the bitching lab reports.

the_GoDdEsS
04-17-2005, 12:20 PM
I've been studying stuff in German for four weeks. Starting with General Linguistics, Phonetics and Phonology, Morphology (oh die, awful), Syntax (kill, even worse), Lexicology, Phraseology. Now I'm trying to revise them all. And I got 4 weeks of German Literature and Didactics ahead of me because I have my final exam in German Studies on May 16 or 17. And good Lord, it's motivating enough because THEN I get my degree.

I frequently either fall asleep with books or run away from them. I haven't studied for 2 days and it's already an awful feeling because the German exam is well, hell if you ask me because you are forced to revise absolutely everything you had studied during the five years at uni and it's still no guarantee you will pass. La, la.

I don't know
04-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I'll have exams in a few weeks, and I just can't study, I just don't have time, that's why I just study on day before the test. I really would like to study before , but I just can't, school is really driving me crazy

Sunny
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
my school hates me. here's what i have to do for this following week:

design a grid based magazine spread (well article)
design a poster for a lecture
bring in images/sketches for an inspiration trip book
design a clockface 10 in diameter
design a series of 3 postcards advertising a creative workshop in Maui
design a food map (map of what you eat every day)
design a type specimen
bring in my "visual diary" for photography
design 3 city at night postcards
design a photography based poster (sketch round)
do 90 pages of reading

to those of you who do actual *studying*.. like.. cramming.. this might sound easy or fun... but trust me.. it's quite far from that. and we're not even reaching finals yet.

i hate you, Parsons, and i hate what you do to me.

*tears hair out in bunches*

eye_pennies
04-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Ive got a mound of essays, a hideous amount of art related work, and my final drama practical this coming friday.

I don't know any lines
I cant concentrate
I feel sick

Rag Doll
04-17-2005, 08:31 PM
2 plays to read...including a lengthy in-depth analysis on both for friday morning. not only is the analysis similar to what one would do on anything for a literature class....we also need to a few other sections on the stage direction, set design, ideas for how certain roles should be performed, etc. 2 other books in philosophy including notes (i believe one is Mill's *On Liberty*...but now i can't remember...we have around 12 books for the semester). essay on fixing the weakening dollar in economics (thats for tomorrow night). that's my regular weekly homework (minus the shorter 1-2 page writings in german & history). finals start on may 6. cannot even begin to study until that day.

next semester is even worse. two massive research papers (20+ pages each)...tons of legal briefs to write, court cases to read, speeches/presentations to give...etc.

Nina
04-17-2005, 10:04 PM
exams, exams, exams, and even MORE exams. and that in all subjects that exist in this freaking country. -sighs-
today is politics. and the following are to come next: biology, philosophy, history, physics, gym class (yeah wtf?!?!), music, and then the next series in july.. (i already wrote five exams already, MIND YOU).
a presentation tomorrow. in philosophy. shut up.
i already did my poster, it was due this week.
finish a book by fontane.
several pages in math to do. and i have no idea when to do that, since the exams seem more important to me at the moment..
argh.

Nicole
04-17-2005, 11:40 PM
My exams aren't for a couple more weeks, perhaps 2 months? But we're on a different schedule to most of you. So for my nursing course-

I have a take home sociology exam which will suck badly. I heard it's hard as. I hate the subject so I know I might be putting off doing it until the last minute, as much as I want it done early.

I have a Human Biosciences exam too. My favourite subject so not too much stress there. I just don't tend to study much for it because I feel like I know it all when I only know about 60% of the content. Weird.

Good luck to all of you who have them pretty soon.

Rye
04-17-2005, 11:44 PM
I actually don't mind exams. Being a good test taker, I do not need to study as much as others, and with the lack of homework being given, it is a good time to rest up. I also usually finish the exams, given on the course and the teacher, a while before the testing time is up, so I get a little nap.

School pressures for me are during the middle part of a grading period. There aren't any breaks, nothing special happening, and school is not fun at all, if it had ever been. I have trouble concentrating, I get behind, then get fucked up because I can't catch up.

sKratch
04-18-2005, 04:52 AM
i love my major, i take exams and that's it--no other work. it's so very, very stress-free. but then i added computer science... programming project are fun though, so i never put them off. again, no stress. i also don't study for the exams.... makes them more fun if you have to figure things out from first principles right on the spot.
*jealousy laser*
I am soo unable to figure most things out from principles =/

Just a Girl
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
at the moment i'm in-between stresses. i just had a coursework related stress in the form of an english essay and a history essay, both 2500+ words long. but that's done and finished and we get the marks on wednesday, woo!

i'm not that worried about my exams yet cos they're 8 weeks away. however, i did see a copy of the exam time table today and they've arranged for 3 of my subjects to be at the same fucking time. yep, 2 history papers, 1 maths paper, and 1 further maths paper are all scheduled for 9:00am on the same day. so what'll happen is i'll have to take them separately from everyone else, 2 exams in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and it adds up to 6 hours of exams in one day. argh! usually they spread them around so it's 3 hours maximum!

fucking bitches.

JoY
04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't want to sound sadistic, but I'm glad so many people share my pain.
I knew this topic would work out. =)

either way, I guess I have only tomorrow left to study. it's so weird to hear you guys talking how you're stressed out for tests that are so far away in the future. firts off; I hardly ever start before three days in advance & secondly; this course I'm taking only started three weeks ago.

wheelchairman
04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
hmm I have no tests for about a month. However, I do have the normal things I need to do.

Presentation in Business Case on the financial and technological situation of DFDS/DSV, in a week I'll need to write another synopsis and presentation on another company.

Essay/Translation/Business Letters for English Class
Essay for Danish
Presentation for Danish
Essay for Spanish
Reading for Spanish
Test in marketing next week (this is a class I haven't paid attention two in 2 years, yet amazingly have gotten rather alright grades in, I rock.)

On the plus side, the french teacher who went with us to France. Has not been in school since we got back. We're hoping we gave her a nervous breakdown. She is a terrible person.

Iddy
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
anyone whos in full time education shares the pain at the moment. luckily exams don't stress me that much. i have 4 coming up (not too bad, but they're long). Worst will be statistics (why punish me... maths was never my strong point). Two of them i see the exam before hand so i can prepare, which is tres handy.