PDA

View Full Version : Fads are for fags. Don't surrender!

KappaWing
04-18-2005, 06:43 PM
The I-Pod is a complete waste of money. I know because my cousin got it for his b-day and I've tried his out for a week. It is a total dissapointment, especially considering all the buzz and fad news about it. The games suck, simply put. They are boring and uninventive. The actual music storage is somewhat ludicrous. (5,000 songs?!, Who would ever KNOW that many songs?!). The device itself is extremley fragile and is prone to breakage from a 2-inch fall. The screen scratches easily and the menu system is cumbersome and uninventive. My cousin also says that it freezes up when it gets cold (as do most mp3 players), and it freezes up randomly for appearantly no reason at all.

My advice, get an MP3 player with a memory card slot with a memory card. I got both items for $50 each and i get 24 hours of music. And lets face it, It'll take a hell of a lot of listening to burn through a playlist that long. Whatever you do, Don't surrender to the fad!

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
(5,000 songs?!, Who would ever KNOW that many songs?!).
I've only ripped half of the CDs I own into my computer, and I already have 3,806 songs. That's not including the over 1,200 I downloaded separately.

I'd need more than 5,000.

0r4ng3
04-18-2005, 06:51 PM
i had almost 700 songs and i wasnt done...

my ipod broke, but now ill buy a new one just because of this thread. congratulations, you've convinced me to buy another ipod!
________
Interracial Pregnant (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/714/pregnant/videos/1)

Unnatural Disaster
04-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't have an ipod, i have a rio carbon and it works just fine... it holds only 1000 songs, but I only have about 750 songs on it right now... It's frozen up once so i just let the battery run out and i recharged it and it worked fine. So overall i'm happy with what i have and don't need an ipod.

Sunny
04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
thanks for your advice, i've found it completely useless and stupid.

PS. i have more than 2500 mp3s.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking about getting an iPod this coming weekend, or any other decent capacity MP3 player. I'm pretty amped.

Know where I can get a decent price in the city, nice Sunny lady? Incidentally, I wish there were more NYC folk on these boards. Not that you don't rule beyond normal levels of awesomeness, but it'd be cool if there were more.

Rye
04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Am I weird for liking cd players? I just like their durability, and I also like actually owning the cd usually. If it's a band I don't care too much about, I'll take a burnt cd, but I like collecting. Besides, you grow attached to a walkman when it lasts you four years.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2005, 07:49 PM
I like owning the CD too, and for my favorite bands I'm sure I'll keep up with the originals. I'm just getting sick of carrying two separate 24-Disc Wallets everywhere I go because I listen to so much music and because I never know what I'll be in the mood to hear later in the day.

Rye
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I like owning the CD too, and for my favorite bands I'm sure I'll keep up with the originals. I'm just getting sick of carrying two separate 24-Disc Wallets everywhere I go because I listen to so much music and because I never know what I'll be in the mood to hear later in the day.

That's true. If I did get one it'd be one of the MP3s with seperate memory things so I could keep my genres seperate, then maybe have one with everything for the times when I jump around from like Cradle of Filth to Dire Straits to The Ramones.

Amanda
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
The I-Pod is a complete waste of money. I know because my cousin got it for his b-day and I've tried his out for a week. It is a total dissapointment, especially considering all the buzz and fad news about it. The games suck, simply put. They are boring and uninventive. The actual music storage is somewhat ludicrous. (5,000 songs?!, Who would ever KNOW that many songs?!). The device itself is extremley fragile and is prone to breakage from a 2-inch fall. The screen scratches easily and the menu system is cumbersome and uninventive. My cousin also says that it freezes up when it gets cold (as do most mp3 players), and it freezes up randomly for appearantly no reason at all.

My advice, get an MP3 player with a memory card slot with a memory card. I got both items for $50 each and i get 24 hours of music. And lets face it, It'll take a hell of a lot of listening to burn through a playlist that long. Whatever you do, Don't surrender to the fad!
I reeeeally don't give a shit. I have about 1,500 mp3...

Sunny
04-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting an iPod this coming weekend, or any other decent capacity MP3 player. I'm pretty amped.

Know where I can get a decent price in the city, nice Sunny lady? Incidentally, I wish there were more NYC folk on these boards. Not that you don't rule beyond normal levels of awesomeness, but it'd be cool if there were more.

actually, I get a discount through my school (you can get a $300 ipod for $269, i think), so, uh, let me know when you wanna get it, and we can work something out. ;p

and yes. agreed.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2005, 07:54 PM
That's pretty awesome; if I take the plunge, it'll probably happen this coming Saturday, but that's very tentative. If anything I'll give you a ring. Heck, I should give you a ring anyway, but I'm sure you know how crazy the college workload is.

Sunny
04-18-2005, 07:56 PM
i temporarily have a different cell phone number (it's too confusing to explain). it's "44" instead of "18" at the end.

it should change back to the old number by the weekend though.

ninth
04-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Like wow, my cell phone number ends in 01. We should totally hang out sometime.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
*sends roses ninth's way* Yoooo hoooooooo....

ninth
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
I should traverse to NYC some day, all there is to experience in my current location is stagnation (and I'm not too into stagnation).

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 06:49 AM
You should, you should. NYC is teh funz.

Jackish
04-19-2005, 07:13 AM
I have over 5,000 songs.....

I have a creative zen xtra to be precise. Way better than an ipod in terms of specs, but hey - I'm not a fashion whore, and it doesn't look like an ipod...

Vera
04-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I'd like one because it'd be awesome to carry 80% of my cd collection with me wherever I go. So if I suddenly get a song in my head, say, Magic Pie by Oasis, and I'm listening to Jimmy Eat World, I can just locate the Oasis song and play it next.

Of course, with my luck, I'd always get some song stuck in my head that wasn't on my iPod, but still, it'd be cool.

I'm very open to cheaper, more consumer-friendly options, though. The only thing about Apple I like are the cutesy designs of their products.

KappaWing
04-19-2005, 01:15 PM
5000 songs?! How much hard disk space do you people have?!

Sunny
04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
80 Gb. not too impressive.

Betty
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, I am actually interested in these complaints about the Ipod, because I would not want to spend lots of money on something that does not live up to its claims. But I wouldn't totally base it on this one dude's experiences either.

And as for 5000 songs, that's not really a lot at all. Well, it's a lot, but not a ridiculous amount. Of the CDs I own, I must have probably 3000 - 4000 songs. And then I probably have another... 500 (?) songs on my computer. Only 20GB capacity though.

I agree with Rye regarding the CD/discman thing. I, perhaps irrationally, like collecting and owning physical albums. I think it is the best way to experience good albums. But then again, as pointed out, it can be tedious to bring a whole bunch of CDs everywhere you go, etc.

So I am actually considering buying some sort of mp3 player eventually. There are lots of fancy toys I sorta want though (digital camera, webcam, mp3 players, flatscreen monitor, etc.) and I don't have the cash for all the stuff at the moment...

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 02:24 PM
My Ipod has frozen twice over the past year and wiped out the song collection entierly. It's not that bad I suppose because I always have back up on my Hds, for most part at least, but it's definatly not something you like to expect from a 400$ product.

KappaWing
04-19-2005, 03:04 PM
I have 900+ MP3's on my hard disk, but acessing them all with my 24 hr mp3 player is no problem. Several of my übercool memory cards can hold all of those for less cost than an i-pod. All I need to do is execute a 2-second memory card switch to acess my entire mp3 collection. The space taken up by my mp3 player along with my 5 or so memory cards is less than that of an Ipod.

Conclusion:
standard MP3 player > i-pod

Lars
04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Had my iPod over at least 1.5 years without a problem. No freezing up and no memory loss or anything. Battery life is still as expected. I think too many people keep the backlight on on the iPod, people that I've seen with them have it on in daylight and such, I rarely ever use that.

The whole point of my iPod was not carrying CD's around and with the fact that when I did I never had what I wated to listen too. I really don't see why people equate owning an mp3 player as only downloading music off the net and putting it on there.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Grar I'm so tempted. Want....iPod...so bad...but I am so poor...

I'm going to have enough money for it, technically. Basically I'd be spending all I had...but I want it so bad...gah! I don't know what to do :(

ninth
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Mr Nemesis, you could always:
kiss me down by the broken tree house
swing me upon its hanging tire
bring bring
bring your flowered hat
we'll take the trail marked on your father's map

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Ya know, ninth, once I thought my innocence was gone. Now I know that happiness goes on. That's where you found me, where you put your arms around me.

I haven't been there for the longest time.

ninth
04-19-2005, 08:48 PM
And now I tell you openly Johnny,
You have my heart so don't hurt me
You’re what I couldn't find
A totally amazing mind
So understanding and so kind
You're everything to me

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Aww, how sweet! Well, all I know, is that to me, you look like you’re havin’ fun. You should open up your lovin’ arms, 'cause I want some.

I've set my sights on you, and no one else will do.

And I’ve got to have my way now, baby.

ninth
04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Have I told you how good it feels to be me,
when I'm in JohnnyNemesis?
I can only stay clean
when you are around.
Don't let me fall.
If I close my eyes forever,
would it ease the pain?
Could I breathe again?

KappaWing
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Ummmmm.... Yeah. :rolleyes:

ShadowPyro
04-20-2005, 01:23 PM
The I-Pod does not freeze all the time, or in the cold and it doesnt break when you drop it. I know because I have one. It works perfectly. I dont have that many songs, but I got a file-sharing program a week ago and I downloaded over 300. I only used it twice. I think I will get over 5000 songs, easily. There is only one single bad thing about an I-Pod and that is the battery life is not 12 like they say, but more like 6 hours. There is nothing else bad about an I-Pod. If it broke when you droped it, then I would never let anyone use it. I see them drop it all the time (my friends) and I dont care. Its better then a Cd player, and you say the screen is univentive, well compare to another Mp3 players screen. You say the games suck, compare it to another Mp3, which will probably have none anyway.

HornyPope
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Looks like the LCD player on my Ipod is fucked. I now resort to accessing the songs from my computer via firewire cable. Lame. Gonna trade this one in.

ShadowPyro
04-20-2005, 03:21 PM
^ dude did that happen because you got a new computer, or fixed a broken and started over on the computer? If it is you have to enable the I-Pod for disk use then move all the songs onto the computer. If you click on help in I-tunes it will take you to the site, and you will eventualy get it. If its a diferent problem then that will help to.

ShadowPyro
04-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh and even if its not a new comp, then you could try deleting all the songs and puting them on. Then your I-pod might work when its not connected.

HornyPope
04-20-2005, 03:28 PM
You do understand that my lcd screen doesn't function, ergo I can't execute any commands from the ipod itself?

KappaWing
04-20-2005, 03:29 PM
The I-Pod does not freeze all the time, or in the cold and it doesnt break when you drop it. I know because I have one. It works perfectly. I dont have that many songs, but I got a file-sharing program a week ago and I downloaded over 300. I only used it twice. I think I will get over 5000 songs, easily. There is only one single bad thing about an I-Pod and that is the battery life is not 12 like they say, but more like 6 hours. There is nothing else bad about an I-Pod. If it broke when you droped it, then I would never let anyone use it. I see them drop it all the time (my friends) and I dont care. Its better then a Cd player, and you say the screen is univentive, well compare to another Mp3 players screen. You say the games suck, compare it to another Mp3, which will probably have none anyway.

The screen (and the whole friggin control interface for that matter) tries to be simplistic yet all it accomplishes is frusturation. The fingerspin thing annoys me the most. It is far too sensitive. I always have to trace back and forth and rely on sheer luck to get the selection I want. Before long, I'm doing finger aerobics! Other MP3 players with their standard interface, (buttons), are far easier to navigate. You made a point that the Ipod doesent freeze all of the time, implying that it freezes some of the time. I've had an Mp3 player for 3 years, and guess what? It never froze once. As far as the falling thing, it depends where you drop it. If it lands on it's topside, it will surley break. I know because my cousin broke his that way. It has frozen for me multiple times in the cold. It seems to freeze at 35 degrees Fahrenheit, while my MP3 player has yet to freeze in 10 degree weather. In order to keep my Ipod from freezing i need to stick it in my boxers. Which I may add, is quite uncomfortable. And If I want to play games, I'll pull out a gameboy.

ShadowPyro
04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh im sorry I read to fast... my mistake, dont hate me....How the hell did you break the lcd screen anyway?

ShadowPyro
04-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Well guess what I dont give a shit. MY i-pod works fine. If u dont like it Kappa, ok thats fine. Lets stop arguing.

Vera
04-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Guys?

Stop whinging and start helping. What are good alternatives for iPods?

Sunny
04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Sanni, alternatives? the Creative ZEN (ick). most people I know who had non-Apple mp3 players said they were crappy. then there's the Playstation Portable, which I personally never really used for mp3s, but it could be a good alternative. And you could watch music videos on it at the same time. Fun. It's a shame mine came with a freakin COHEED AND CAMBRIA video.. but that's not the point. It's not a cheap alternative though. Neither is the ZEN. Hmm, maybe cell phones that play mp3s?
Or the tiiiny iPod Shuffle, which is only $99.

Kappa,
all iPod users I know find the iPod interface to be very intuitive and user friendly. maybe you're just, uhm, yknow, not very tech savvy. ^^;;

it gets ridiculously fucking cold here in the winter. The only effect it seems to have on my iPod is that the LCD screen gets a lil darker out in the cold. Same with other devices though.

i like having a wide range of music to listen to, I'd HATE to have a 24h mp3 player. Therefore, to ME, the iPod >> all gimpie-ass little mp3 players.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2005, 07:26 AM
I too have heard numerous complaints about iPod alternatives. I took the plunge, and my iPod should be arriving soon enough. I'll post my opinions when I get it, but I'm super excited right now.

Vera
04-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I hear such contradicting things about iPods. I mean, you nearly flushed yours and it's still kicking it but my friend told me he dropped his onto a floor covered by quite a soft carpet and it still broke.

Overall, think I might join the craze and beg my dad for one for my 18th birthday. I want to carry shitloads of music with me. Not just mp3's but most of my cd's, as well.

Few questions, though:

I can make playlists on iPod that I can listen without having to select a song every time I'm done listening to some song? Like, I can listen to an album of songs if I want, right? My friend said I'd have to schroll my way to find another song to listen to after listening to one.

Sunny
04-21-2005, 07:35 AM
I too have heard numerous complaints about iPod alternatives. I took the plunge, and my iPod should be arriving soon enough. I'll post my opinions when I get it, but I'm super excited right now.

YESSS!!! rock on, my friend.

the "opening-the-black-box-and-seeing-the-iPod" experience is awesome, cuz the packaging rocks. i'm excited for you.. hehe.

Sunny
04-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Few questions, though:

I can make playlists on iPod that I can listen without having to select a song every time I'm done listening to some song? Like, I can listen to an album of songs if I want, right? My friend said I'd have to schroll my way to find another song to listen to after listening to one.

your friend is wrong. ;x the iPod comes with pre-programmed playlists such as Recently Played, Top Rated (you rate your own songs) and 25 Most Played (it updates them automatically of course). On top of that, you can have a pecadillion of your own playlists, and no, you don't have to select a song every time you're done with one. it automatically goes to the next song in the playlist/album.

Vera
04-21-2005, 07:42 AM
Good to know. Maybe he's technically challenged, too, heh. He seems to have nothing but dislike toward iPods now.

Sunny
04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
The only people I know that don't like iPods are people who 1) don't have them and 2) are devoted Windows users/ Bill Gates worshippers. Heaven forbid they actually like a *gasp* Apple product! stupids.

As for the iPod breaking.. as I said, Apple rocks when it comes to replacing them. I was trying to get my keyboard replaced the other day and this guy came in, his iPod screen CRACKED and completely black (like, flooded). The iPod itself dented and looking like ass. He obviously either dropped it from like the 16th floor or smashed it with a hammer, I dunno. He was like "my screen doesnt work". Apple person: "do you know why?" Guy: "no". Apple person: "ok, we'll get you a new one right away".

wtf, seriously.

Vera
04-21-2005, 08:04 AM
They do that to everyone? Or is that just in Apple stores?

Sunny
04-21-2005, 08:05 AM
all Apple tech support places seem pretty generous, not just the actual stores.

Vera
04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I hope that isn't just an American thing. Though my dad is totally a fixer-upper but I think mp3 player technology isn't really what he's most used to fixing.

Too bad an iPod is still 400-500 euros... I don't think I've ever gotten anything that expensive as a birthday present. But hey, turning 18! Special occasion!

KappaWing
04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
maybe you're just, uhm, yknow, not very tech savvy. ^^;;

GRRRRR!!!! (http://www.game-warden.com/kappawing)

Uhm, yeah. Anyways, I would personally recommend the RCA Lyra. It survived a 4 foot fall from my pocket to the cement, and yet, It STILL LIVES!!!! The memory slot is an awesome feature which lets you carry an unlimited amount of songs across multiple memory cards. The Lyra is also übercompact. Far smaller than an I-pod, far more durable, far more enjoyable to use, and just flat out better. Get one for yourself and you'll know what I mean.

JohnnyNemesis
04-22-2005, 09:02 PM
I ordered my iPod yesterday morning, chose standard free shippng estimated at 5 days, and waited.

My iPod's already here.

SWEET!

nitropenguin!
04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
My mp3 player at the moment (let's hope my using it will be temporary) is very catchpenny. It's a Venturer and only has a capacity of 122MB. Pity me.

Oh and congrats on your sudden iPod delivery, Rick.

Sunny
04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Too bad an iPod is still 400-500 euros... I don't think I've ever gotten anything that expensive as a birthday present. But hey, turning 18! Special occasion!

alsdjfhoaskdfhkasjdfajshdgjadf 400-500 euros?? jesus they're $299 here. DOLLARS. NOT EUROS EVEN. >_< I got mine for $269. asjdfhgjaf. what the hell?

Rick - isn't it hot as hell? ;p

JohnnyNemesis
04-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks Anique! Aint no shame in rockin' the 122MB deal though.

And yes Sunny! Too hot! I can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Tired_Of_You
04-22-2005, 09:25 PM
It's great you have an iPod now, Rick. =D

I have no complaints about my iPod. I love it.

JohnnyNemesis
04-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Valness! I love it too; it feels so damn good to have so much music on it. I just got it yesterday, and I already have 15GB of music on it :X. I'll mess with it more though. This is too much fun!

Sunny- It's a good thing I didn't pay extra for overnight shipping, eh?

Jimbob2005
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM
I've only ripped half of the CDs I own into my computer, and I already have 3,806 songs. That's not including the over 1,200 I downloaded separately.

I'd need more than 5,000.
I don't yet have 1500! Mind you, I don't have an open mind about music so I'm trying to get into more stuff - i'll have nearly 2000 when I get all the albums I want.

I do want to get a harddrive mp3 player though - a 20GB one, that costs less and is better than an i-Pod :cool:

Jimbob2005
04-23-2005, 09:12 AM
alsdjfhoaskdfhkasjdfajshdgjadf 400-500 euros?? jesus they're $299 here. DOLLARS. NOT EUROS EVEN. >_< I got mine for $269. asjdfhgjaf. what the hell?

Rick - isn't it hot as hell? ;p
i-Pod costs 250 quid in the UK - a 20GB mp3 player costs just over 200 quid. I don't think an i-Pod is crap, but for it's price and for what it is, it sucks.

Waste of money.

Sunny
04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
I do want to get a harddrive mp3 player though - a 20GB one, that costs less and is better than an i-Pod :cool:

cheaper AND better? ha, good luck finding one.

Jimbob2005
04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
cheaper AND better? ha, good luck finding one.
Yup, they do exist - my mate has one, so I want to get a job to save up and buy one. It costs £210, cheaper than a crappy i-Pod

0r4ng3
04-23-2005, 09:54 AM
i-Pod costs 250 quid in the UK - a 20GB mp3 player costs just over 200 quid. I don't think an i-Pod is crap, but for it's price and for what it is, it sucks.

Waste of money.
you wanna know a waste of money?

The iPod Shuffle:
240 songs
no screen
for only $99!
________
Streaming fuck (http://www.fucktube.com/)

JohnnyNemesis
04-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Totally! Why bother with an iPod shuffle,when the best thing is being able to control so much music?
Better off with a CD player!