PDA

View Full Version : Emo is "punk"

Skip91
04-19-2005, 05:40 AM
Punk rock.
It Started with the ramones.
Then the clash. And Patty Smith.
Maybe it was the 70's, but is was true.

Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Avril etc, they SUCK!
They even got theyre own genre. "Emo"
Writing songs about how life sucks, and their broken childhood.
The Point is emo is not punk just a crappy way of expressing your feelings.

FLa_oFFSprinG
04-19-2005, 05:55 AM
don't worry!!! :rolleyes:

real punk rock = offspring

JoY
04-19-2005, 05:56 AM
you express your feelings in everything & anything. singing, dancing, writing, painting, drawing, playing an instrument.. all creative outbursts are expressions of emotions. that's what creativity is all about in the first place. you can express yourself, who you are & what you feel in the creativity that you have. even at work, or in your studies you do everything in your own way, which is, believe it or not, a form of creativeness & expressing yourself.

emo, however, isn't just expressing emotions, it's blowing them up the size of elephants.
Avril for instance sings of being different, of being alone, of feelings we ALL sometimes feel. that is NOT emo, that's just how many of us feel every now & then. that's why she's so popular; she speaks to the crowd.

when someone sings about how he/she was left by their true loved one, the only love he/she will ever know (that's pathetic in the first place, because we all know we're perfectly capable of falling in love over & over again, which is even chemically proven) & how this makes her/him so so down, he/she wants to cut her-/himself & just die, THAT'S emo.

seriously, get your facts & your brain right before you say something stupid & make a topic about it too.

Skip91
04-19-2005, 05:59 AM
But avril is so fake!
and her songs are emo

JoY
04-19-2005, 06:11 AM
But avril is so fake!
and her songs are emo
why is she fake? because she wears what she wears? because she sings what she sings? she sings about the obvious. about a guy who left her, or who cheated, or whatever & what that makes her feel. that it makes her feel mad, or sad, or whatever. that IS how you feel, when someone cheats or leaves you. don't be so incredibly dumb.

you don't like her, that's a whole other thing. that doesn't mean she's fake. she may dress however she likes, just like you're entitled to wear whatever you like. so she dresses like a punk. that's a style, dumbass. a preference. it doesn't necessarily have a message, it doesn't necessarily say she's a punk on the inside too, that's just what she likes to wear.

I'm giving this one more try; Emo stands for Emotional Hardcore. omg! it's blowing up emotions to the size of elephants, or china even. yes, I'm willing to repeat myself, if I have to. Avril sings how EVERYONE would feel, if they were alone, or sad, or mad for some reason. EVERYONE has emotions. she sings about regular, normal, natural reactions & emotions. she doesn't sing about how things make her so depressed, she never wants to see the daylight again. SEE the fucking difference.

samr
04-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Punk rock.
It Started with the ramones.
Then the clash. And Patty Smith.
Maybe it was the 70's, but is was true.

Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Avril etc, they SUCK!
They even got theyre own genre. "Emo"
Writing songs about how life sucks, and their broken childhood.
The Point is emo is not punk just a crappy way of expressing your feelings.

You dont even know what emo is so shut the fuck up

JoY
04-19-2005, 06:28 AM
You dont even know what emo is so shut the fuck up
that's the easiest way to state this, but yes. pretty much.

JoY
04-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Punk is being ugly, having acne, and doing graffiti and heroin. No other definitions are acceptable.
there you've pointed out something pretty.
the definition of a style is something everyone interprets in his/her own way. no matter how much you try to dress, act & think like a certain group, you'll find that it's never possible to fully & entirely fit in, because you're still a person, an individual anyway. goths, punks, emos, preps, these aren't groups of similar people. it's just a collection of individuals, that happen to have a slightly similar style. combine that with everyone's own personal interpretation & you'll see that there's no such thing as 'groups'.

we're a fucking bunch of sheep. we desperately want to fit in. sure, choose a style, which prescribes you what you have to think, eat, wear & sing. sure, bash anyone who interprets your precious style differently than you do. what's REALLY retarded, is if you let a style, or group take your personality away & if you DON'T interpret everything your own way. because in the end of the day, we'll have accept the fact we're all different & if you do accept that tiny fact, then you'll see you at least have individualism in common.

can you tell I'm horribly bored? I feel like I'm fucking preaching, but I hate this kind of deliberate ignorance.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 07:04 AM
But avril is so fake!
and her songs are emo

I'd share my thoughts, but honestly, look at this post. I'm a bit intimidated by Skip91's incredibly persuasive arguments.

JoY
04-19-2005, 07:12 AM
you, Yahoo!. NOW.
<3

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm a comin'! <3

nieh
04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
since when was anything on the radio anything more than a cheap facsimile of bands that actually do it well? Good Charlotte and A Simple Plan are NOT emo. Just because they have shitty singers and whine all the time, doesn't make them emo. Emo developed out of the hardcore scene and still has strong ties to it. If you want an example of emo, download Cursive - The Lament of Pretty Baby or something along those lines. That being said, 95% of the emo genre sucks, just like 95% of every other genre.

Amanda
04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
So, taking this thread to a different direction, wich bands are emo after all?

Revolver-2005?
04-19-2005, 06:31 PM
i think there are ways to express emotions through music, but emo music...it all sounds the same and its almost always about the same thing...mostly little whiney bitches who wear all this eye shadow and crap...and sing and cry about their failed lives and relationships

ok sure...once in a while its ok to sing bout that stuff...but not all the god damn time...and put it into a better way....not tht whiney emo style...

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Theres a difference between emo and punk.Emo is love and crying and stuff,punk is "Fuck the man" and "Say yes to drugs".Now on the other hand you can play punk and have love songs about chicks, I do it all the time.

nieh
04-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Rites of Spring are the first emo band ever and are quite good from the few songs that I've heard
Cursive are awesome emo if you can adjust to the guy's voice
At the Drive In are one of the most hardcore sounding emo bands (despite Mr. Nemesis' claims that they're not an emo band)

Those are about the only good ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Endymion
04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Theres a difference between emo and punk.Emo is love and crying and stuff,punk is "Fuck the man" and "Say yes to drugs".Now on the other hand you can play punk and have love songs about chicks, I do it all the time.

http://www.csulb.edu/%7Erjames/goth.jpg

also, emo = rites of spring--nothing more, nothing less.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Rites of Spring are the first emo band ever and are quite good from the few songs that I've heard
Cursive are awesome emo if you can adjust to the guy's voice
At the Drive In are one of the most hardcore sounding emo bands (despite Mr. Nemesis' claims that they're not an emo band)

Those are about the only good ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Actually, I've come around and admit that yeah, they're a hardcore emo band. I forgot what our argument was, but I think you were right and I may have gotten a bit defensive. It's real hazy, and actually, pointless to remember now anyway. I had to listen to them again with you in mind to catch it though, so I did believe what I said when I made my case in the past.

The thing is that your claims apply to every single genre of music. You think I don't rip my hair right outta my head when I hear people badmouth 50 Cent in an attempt to bash rap music in general? It kills me. But since it applies to every genre ever, we have to adjust, whether we're right or wrong, and in some cases accept the fact that yeah, these shitty bands are emo too.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 07:06 PM

also, emo = rites of spring--nothing more, nothing less.

And by the way, I was waiting for that!

nieh
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Actually, I've come around and admit that yeah, they're a hardcore emo band. I forgot what our argument was, but I think you were right and I may have gotten a bit defensive. It's real hazy, and actually, pointless to remember now anyway. I had to listen to them again with you in mind to catch it though, so I did believe what I said when I made my case in the past.
yay, I win!

The thing is that your claims apply to every single genre of music. You think I don't rip my hair right outta my head when I hear people badmouth 50 Cent in an attempt to bash rap music in general? It kills me. But since it applies to every genre ever, we have to adjust, whether we're right or wrong, and in some cases accept the fact that yeah, these shitty bands are emo too.

See, that's the thing though. I admit that horrible bands like Planes Mistaken for Stars and Thursday and stuff like that are both shit and emo...but A Simple Plan just isn't really an emo band, they're pop-punk. The most hardcore influence they have is Green Day. But yeah, I actively hate every genre of music as a whole, but there's always exceptions that pop up (otherwise I wouldn't buy cds at such an alarming rate). Like I tend to hate most rap, but I love Outkast and have liked what I've heard by NERD. I hate prog, but the first Mars Volta album is my favorite album ever. I hate death metal, but I love when Mr. Bungle and the Secret Chiefs 3 play it. I hate punk, but I love the Vandals. I hate pop-punk but I like Unwritten Law and will grudgedly admit to liking Blink 182. I hate math-rock but I love Fantomas' new album. It's all just a matter of taste and given how few bands there are in the world that don't suck, you shouldn't limit yourself by saying "ew, I'm not listening to them, they're rap!". But you're just doing yourself an injustice if that's the case.

I dunno why, but I've been typing this reply for like 15 minutes now and I still don't like the way it reads. I hate the fact that most of my job consists of emailing people...it makes it that much harder to do a half-assed job of stuff like this when I'm at home.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 07:39 PM
See, that's the thing though. I admit that horrible bands like Planes Mistaken for Stars and Thursday and stuff like that are both shit and emo...but A Simple Plan just isn't really an emo band, they're pop-punk. The most hardcore influence they have is Green Day. But yeah, I actively hate every genre of music as a whole, but there's always exceptions that pop up (otherwise I wouldn't buy cds at such an alarming rate). Like I tend to hate most rap, but I love Outkast and have liked what I've heard by NERD. I hate prog, but the first Mars Volta album is my favorite album ever. I hate death metal, but I love when Mr. Bungle and the Secret Chiefs 3 play it. I hate punk, but I love the Vandals. I hate pop-punk but I like Unwritten Law and will grudgedly admit to liking Blink 182. I hate math-rock but I love Fantomas' new album. It's all just a matter of taste and given how few bands there are in the world that don't suck, you shouldn't limit yourself by saying "ew, I'm not listening to them, they're rap!". But you're just doing yourself an injustice if that's the case.

I dunno why, but I've been typing this reply for like 15 minutes now and I still don't like the way it reads. I hate the fact that most of my job consists of emailing people...it makes it that much harder to do a half-assed job of stuff like this when I'm at home.

Dude, I'm with you, I have a tough time expressing these kinds of things clearly too. That said, I can't agree more with what you're saying. I'd say you did a good job of saying it, but then agian, maybe I'm super sensitive to it. Either way, I'm with you.

Rye
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
People put too much on what genre a band is, anyway. For the most part you're not going to find bands who have songs that all fit solely in one genre, but that doesn't stop people from taking it to the next level by saying "I only listen to __ and __". Once they say that though, they have to determine which bands fit and which don't. I only use genres when trying to describe what somethings like, and even then comparing them to other bands is more effective. I try to put a genre on a song, but not a band in general.

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok look Endymion dude whoever you are,I dont fuckin look anything like that and I never have.Damn all I really do is wear chains,paint my nails black, and wear black clothes,some days I wear white T shirts and jeans but I will never eat a fucking bat or have a tattoo of wings or whatever he has,what the hell man?

Gordie
04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
i IS teh EMO!!

I want to cut my wrists and write songs about how NOBODY.. AND I MEAN NOBODY KNOWS how i feel..

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Heres an emo song:

"waaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!
waaaaaaaaaaa!!!
hold me!!!!!!
Why did you break my heart?
waaaaaaaa!!!!
I love you so much!!!
waaaaaaa!!!!
fuck me!!!
I want love!!!
NOBODY LOVES ME!!!!!
waaaaa!!!!!! -drops microphone and falls on floor crying-"

nieh
04-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok look Endymion dude whoever you are,I dont fuckin look anything like that and I never have.Damn all I really do is wear chains,paint my nails black, name myself "The Goth Guy", wear black clothes, and quote depressing goth lyrics, some days I wear white T shirts and jeans but I will never eat a fucking bat or have a tattoo of wings or whatever he has,what the hell man?

you know, ordinarilly I hate it when people do things like this, but I kinda enjoyed myself.

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 09:01 PM
-evil laugh-You enjoyed it?Maybe I'll write a movie called "Fuck you Endy".It shall be a comedy.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Please don't.

I'm asking nicely.

nieh
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
*sighs* Never mind. My humor was lost.

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Exactly...That was a joke post that wasnt funny,its like a book with nothing in it.

Rye
04-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Joke killer.

ninth
04-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't classify Thursday as emo (Thursday doesn't even classify themselves as emo). I've just recently gotten back into listening to Thursday a lot and they just have an amazing sound, even though their Eyeball release (Waiting) has rather poor sound quality, I would probably say it is my favorite album of theirs.

nieh
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't classify Thursday as emo (Thursday doesn't even classify themselves as emo). I've just recently gotten back into listening to Thursday a lot and they just have an amazing sound, even though their Eyeball release (Waiting) has rather poor sound quality, I would probably say it is my favorite album of theirs.

no emo band ever classifies themselves as emo...they just kinda end up that way. Especially now that 'emo' is kind of a four letter word, people tend to shy away from calling themselves that. I like "Signals over the Air" but the rest of the album it's on is near shit, the singer is godawful (though from what I understand, there was a bit more screaming on their older works?) and there's no force behind any of the instruments making it sound very underwhelming for any genre.

ninth
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Waiting includes a lot of screaming and Full Collapse contains a moderate amount.

Endymion
04-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Ok look Endymion dude whoever you are,I dont fuckin look anything like that and I never have.Damn all I really do is wear chains,paint my nails black, and wear black clothes,some days I wear white T shirts and jeans but I will never eat a fucking bat or have a tattoo of wings or whatever he has,what the hell man?

SkunkIt
04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Punk is being ugly, having acne, and doing graffiti and heroin. No other definitions are acceptable. Except being TripBoy! :D

sKratch
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I haven't read anything of what anyone said yet, but I just have this message to the original poster of the topic:
You fucking suck at life, you're a moron, go chug bleach.

Betty
04-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Okay, I have a question to the experts about emo.

So, I generally like to classify music (I suck at doing this) based on how it sounds, and that is basically it. So, "pop" would be something that sounds poppy and not necessarily something that is "popular"... "indie" would be something that fits into that general sound and is not necessarily "independent"... well generally it is... but there is lots of stuff that is independent yet not classified in the "indie" genre... maybe "indie rock" more specifically.

Anyway, the point is... *I* would be tempted to classify "emo" as something that SOUNDS like emo music and not necessarily something that has "emotional" lyrics. Do the lyrics HAVE to be emotional? Or can the sound just be emo?

Thanks for the insight.

Endymion
04-19-2005, 11:57 PM
if you go to a show and there are tissues being passed around, it's emo.

Rye
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
if you go to a show and there are tissues being passed around, it's emo.

No more need for this thread.