PDA

View Full Version : New Pope??

ANeWLiFE
04-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I was browsing other forums and they said there was a new pope? Does anyone know anything about this??

crazy_offspring_gal
04-19-2005, 10:14 AM
yea there has been a new pope elected, 'benedict the 16th'

ANeWLiFE
04-19-2005, 10:15 AM
yea there has been a new pope elected, 'benedict the 16th'

do ya KNOW his name?

Sixpence.
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Josef Ratzinger is the new pope

crazy_offspring_gal
04-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Josef Ratzinger is the new pope
of course you would know hehe, hes from germany! :rolleyes:

Sixpence.
04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
of course you would know hehe, hes from germany! :rolleyes:

I just saw it on TV. For me personally, the most important thing is that the new pope is likable. :)

notoriousdoc
04-19-2005, 10:34 AM
i dont give a toss about popes...

Mannen som blev en gris
04-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't care about him....saw it on the tv too. BTW^shouldn't you be at your party? I should too.....I'll go back.

RXP
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Apparently he's god's bulldog. That's what I heard on the Radio this morning so it's gotta be true.

Serafin Negro
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
How we say in France: Ratzinger est un putain de conservateur de merde

Well I'll play Ratzinger:

"You haven't to put protection when you have sexual activies...it is against what is writted in the Bible!"

If we all listen to this type of person, in 20 years all people will be contaminated by AIDS!!!

Norwegian Cat
04-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, seen from a religious point of view, it's good for any religion to have a great conservative power. I'm personally not conservative, but I belive this new pope will follow John Paul II's road.

BTW, it's suposed to be introduced many changes in the catolic catechism.

Anya82
04-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Apparently he's god's bulldog. That's what I heard on the Radio this morning so it's gotta be true.

yeah, he's very strict!
he also contributed writting this book called (i don't know it's name in english, so please excuse me): Catecismo de la Iglesia Catolica

and helped John Paul II with many things and decisions

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
He shoulda been Pope.

http://img2.imageweb.info/img2/CGs13798.jpg

Equally acceptable, Lando the II.

http://www.alaweb.com/~pandp/images/popelando.jpg

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I approve of Pope Calrissian.

Norwegian Cat- In what way, is a conservative leader good for religion? If I were religious, I would completely support a liberal leader. There is a reason why people are flocking from the Catholic church, and it's not just the cheap alter wine.

Norwegian Cat
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
conservative religion = strong religion wich is taken seriously. Just look at islam; holy wars, intents on global domination, etc...

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Islam isn't necessarily conservative either. The majority of practicing muslims are not following the conservative tendencies of the extremists. Islam in many ways is a progressive religion, far more progressive than Christianity.

However, the reason for Islam's gain in popularity, is not, because of it's conservatism. Hardly, in the Middle Eastern world, Islam is the religion one turns to when one needs to escape one's own conditions (like in the Western World we have Christianity). For Muslims in Europe, their conditions are outright miserable in relation to their abilities, and to their peers, so it's no surprise that the imported village extremists are able to attract so many.

That hardly has to do with conservatism though.

Take Liberation Ideology in it's heyday. I would call it the most progressive religion at the time, a form of Christianity, that was very popular in South America, that tought the poor man can fight for better conditions.

Anya82
04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
I think a conservative religion is something good cause it keeps working on its roots, which is the will/word of a divine being. I think what Norwegian cat means, is that a conservative religion is strong cause it's not something that humans can change and manipulate as they please.

Betty
04-19-2005, 02:06 PM
First off, WCM, I really don't think you would be an authority on the subject because you are not religious. Thus, the fact that YOU would choose a more liberal leader is irrelevant.

The whole basis of christianity are all of its ridiculous rules, and so yes, I'd imagine a conservative leader would be good for the integrity of the religion.

However, what this will do to the popularity of the religion is another story. Sure, all of the bishops and hardcore religious folk all have strong conservative morals, but those of younger generations are definitely more liberal minded... so by sticking to its guns, christianity might be phasing itself out.

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I grew up in a religious home, in a religious community Betty. I have a lot of experience with religion. And just because I'm an atheist does not mean I don't sympathize with some of it. I take an active interest in religion (particularly Christianity) and have visited multiple different branches of Christianity.

All I'm saying is that conservative christianity does not appeal to the younger generation (when it easily could). That is why, if you go to church, you will only see sexigenarians.

Technically, if you want to go to a religion's truth, it was lost when it became institutionalized. The Catholic church has edited and re-edited the bible for centuries, depending on the interpretation they like. The original catholic church was instituted by an atheist Roman Emperor to ensure power. If you want true Christianity, you have to go way back, to what was, an extremely liberal religion.

Anya82
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
All I'm saying is that conservative christianity does not appeal to the younger generation (when it easily could). That is why, if you go to church, you will only see sexigenarians.

i have a different opinion. I'm catholic, and i've been into catholic teen and youth groups, and i've enjoyed them a lot. I follow my religion's beliefs and attend to it's teachings. I do go to church, and help as possible. And I don't regret it, i enjoy all that, and still do things young people do. It's not like you loose your life if you attend to your religion, or that you have no fun. It's about, in my case, living your life following God's teachings, Christ's path. Looking for love, peace, respect, and human being dignity... not shutting yourself into a temple praying 24/7.

Betty
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree with you...

Just wanted to point out that clearly what you want and what the hardcore religious-folk want is different, and you are not them regardless of whether you are knowledgeable about it.

And I didn't think you should have shot down the idea of conservatism being good so easily, because it depends in what kind of way it is supposed to be good. And thus it could be good/bad for different reasons as you and I discussed.

Anyway, it IS super corrupt and manipulated, etc. and I very much do not approve of that aspect of it.

Amanda
04-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Man, i was so hoping that the new pope would be a black man...Damn racist catholics...

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah ,Im the new pope,and death metal shall fill the streets and everyday will be Mardi Gras.SHOW ME YOU BOOBS -throws pope beads-.

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
i have a different opinion. I'm catholic, and i've been into catholic teen and youth groups, and i've enjoyed them a lot. I follow my religion's beliefs and attend to it's teachings. I do go to church, and help as possible. And I don't regret it, i enjoy all that, and still do things young people do. It's not like you loose your life if you attend to your religion, or that you have no fun. It's about, in my case, living your life following God's teachings, Christ's path. Looking for love, peace, respect, and human being dignity... not shutting yourself into a temple praying 24/7.
I'm not saying that people inside the Catholic church now, dislike the conservative path it is on (although many do), however it is, to a large extent, why people outside the church don't come to the Church for guidance, like they used to.

It's also why other sections of Christianity gain members (let's just focus on gain) faster than the Catholic church. I believe the Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Baptists are all gaining faster, and these churches also have a more logical foundation in the teachings of Christ (yes, *even* the Baptists.)

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with you...

Just wanted to point out that clearly what you want and what the hardcore religious-folk want is different, and you are not them regardless of whether you are knowledgeable about it.

And I didn't think you should have shot down the idea of conservatism being good so easily, because it depends in what kind of way it is supposed to be good. And thus it could be good/bad for different reasons as you and I discussed.

Anyway, it IS super corrupt and manipulated, etc. and I very much do not approve of that aspect of it.
Well for my tastes, I find even the liberal movements to be conservative. But in every movement there is a constant struggle between the old and the new, and this is especially constant in religion. I agree with your sum-up.

RXP
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
WCM, muslims conditoins are really that low in Europe? Where are you refering to? It's nothing like that here and we have one million muslims.

The growth of Islam has a lot to do with impressionable young minds and an escape akin to cultism. I don't say that lightly. I know SO many girls who have converted to Islam because of their boyfriends and end up being extremely strict muslims.

What were fun loving girls turn into a shadow of their former self. Islam is spreading, at least in the UK, by 'recruitment' rather than people really converting.

This may sound extreme but if you've seen what I've seen. I see it happen over and over again. Heck one of my gf's mates who used to be a real partier has gone that way too.

Of course this is from my own personal experience of living in England. But Islam IS extremely conservative and anything but liberal.

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Man, i was so hoping that the new pope would be a black man...Damn racist catholics...
If there is a Black ArchBishop, how on Earth are the Catholics racist?

It's too bad Desmond Tutu wasn't eligible, but I believe he is Anglican.

Amanda
04-19-2005, 03:11 PM
If there is a Black ArchBishop, how on Earth are the Catholics racist?

It's too bad Desmond Tutu wasn't eligible, but I believe he is Anglican.
Kewl that theres a black archbishop, but the catholic church has reached its 265th pope, and not one of them is black. Thats just fucked up...

Dion
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey guys get real!!!!!!!! You think that the new pope will be elected based on his spiritual beliefs???? BULLSHIT! The basic criteria is one : MONEY. What u haven't realized is that being the pope means, above all, being in charge of the biggest wallet of the world. And that has nothing to do with religion, only with politics.

original_prankster
04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Hehe. I don't like him either.

The Goth Guy
04-19-2005, 05:47 PM
The new pope is crazy...I saw him smoking weed and cruisin up in da pimp mobile.

wheelchairman
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
WCM, muslims conditoins are really that low in Europe? Where are you refering to? It's nothing like that here and we have one million muslims.

The growth of Islam has a lot to do with impressionable young minds and an escape akin to cultism. I don't say that lightly. I know SO many girls who have converted to Islam because of their boyfriends and end up being extremely strict muslims.

What were fun loving girls turn into a shadow of their former self. Islam is spreading, at least in the UK, by 'recruitment' rather than people really converting.

This may sound extreme but if you've seen what I've seen. I see it happen over and over again. Heck one of my gf's mates who used to be a real partier has gone that way too.

Of course this is from my own personal experience of living in England. But Islam IS extremely conservative and anything but liberal.

Essentially I agree with you, I did say that the Islam practiced in Europe tends to be more conservative. Definitely too conservative as well.

And I do often forget to take into account, the impressionability of youth. But generally I think it's something they will grow out of (or at least, that's what I like to hope.) I was more thinking along the lines of inside the immigrant community, the people who go that way and stick with it.

Vera
04-20-2005, 06:14 AM
What were fun loving girls turn into a shadow of their former self.
That's kind of awful of you to say. I of course don't know these girls but I do know some born-muslims and have talked to some converted muslims, girls around 20 years old, who didn't convert because of a guy, but because they found Islam to be a very fullfilling religion and because they felt like they had truly found their own spiritual path in it.

I'm sure if they loved partying that much, they'd continue even as muslims, but it's probably just that they've found this lifestyle and have found it to be ideal for them.

I mean, if I loved clubbing but converted into Christianity, I think I'd still party, just with Jesus this time.

But yeah, that was just my "disagree with RXP"-segment of this week.

About the new Pope, I read here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050420/ap_on_re_eu/pope
that he wishes to unify all segments of Christianity which is a promising goal to try and achieve.

I still don't get why he couldn't have chosen an easier name. Benedict XVI! John Paul II was easier to remember.

Norwegian Cat
04-20-2005, 06:25 AM

Well, a christian prophet named Nostradamus said, that if a black man was elected pope, then that would be the end of the catholic church.

Vera
04-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Aren't Nostradamus' sayings usually really weird? Like, that's just an interpretation of what he might've actually meant.

T-6005
04-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Exactly - "black" itself could refer to a lot more than skin color, such as impurity or a tragic flaw, etc.

Benedict XVI, huh?

Betty
04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
I mean, if I loved clubbing but converted into Christianity, I think I'd still party, just with Jesus this time.

... cracked me up ...

RXP
04-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Let me clear this up Vera when I mean they convert to Islam I mean no showing face, no drinking, covering whole body and that kinda limits your social life to others of your belief which further puts blinders on people's outlook on life.

I hate religons that do this with a passion. People should be free to explore. Free to explore each other too. That odesn't mean partying that means just being a normal social being not some ingrate who only associates with people of simliar beliefs.

Disgareement noted and rebuted ;-)

Iddy
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Exactly - "black" itself could refer to a lot more than skin color, such as impurity or a tragic flaw, etc.

Benedict XVI, huh?

yep... a 'black' man could just refer to a man of impure intention, which is not good for any leader not just a church.

the last pope Benedict was at the start of one of the wars (first or second, i don't remember), which is very interesting. Maybe the church thinks we are on the brink of another world war?

Noodles is gay
04-20-2005, 09:32 AM

ARGH!!! :eek:

They'll never take me alive!

no, seriously though it's amazing how fast that religion is spreading over here - anyone heard about those leaflets telling moslems not to vote because all the party leaders are devils and they'llgo to hell if they vote in the general election! fucking hell! :mad:

Iddy
04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
democracy is not really part of their lifestyle, who can blame them for being distrusting. Its not like the uk government goes out of their way to understand the variety of cultures in their country.

RXP
04-20-2005, 10:06 AM
It's spreading like a cancer. You see all this shitty posters all over uni about their religion. No one elses. Just theirs.

Iddy
04-20-2005, 10:11 AM
It's spreading like a cancer. You see all this shitty posters all over uni about their religion. No one elses. Just theirs.

if people from other religions put theirs up then there would be... just because one group is more active doesn't make them bad.

RXP
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
It's called propaganist recruitment. It's akin to cultism.

Iddy
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
It's called propaganist recruitment. It's akin to cultism.

its up to the people if they join in though. every religion does that to some degree, its just Islam at the moment is recieving negativity. naturally their going to more active about their religion.

RXP
04-20-2005, 10:21 AM
It's people's choice to join cults too. They know who they're aiming for.

Vera
04-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Cults are a whole different ballgame from mainstream Islam religion.

RXP
04-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Mainstream Islam isn't what's going on in schools/universities.

want_you_bad2100
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
I saw the new pope on the news.... I don't follow the whole pope thing...

Iddy
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Mainstream Islam isn't what's going on in schools/universities.

maybe i'm a fatalist, but i feel we're coming to a point in our civilisation where order has broken down and society is in a state of turmoil. Its one of those things that goes unnoticed though, maybe because we've become conditioned to its presense.

This Islam 'cult' you're talking about may be offering people what this chaotic and self-destrutive society isn't.

lint
04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Pope Benedict XVI is against:

Women Priests
Gay Marriages
and Rock Music.

eh...rock music...i still like him though...i've heard hes very kind and warmhearted.

Amanda
04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, a christian prophet named Nostradamus said, that if a black man was elected pope, then that would be the end of the catholic church.
Damn racist prophet lol

lint
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I wanted the black cardinal to win...That would have been something different that i would've loved. But i can settle for Benedict XVI.