PDA

View Full Version : You Higher People!

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
When I came to people for the first time, then did I commit the hermit's folly, the great folly: I appeared on the market place. And when I spoke to all, I spoke to none. In the evening, however, rope dancers were my companions, and corpses; and I myself almost a corpse.
With the new morning, however, there came to me a new truth: then did I learn to say: "Of what account to me are market place and populace and populace noise and long populace ears!" You higher people, learn this from me: in the market place no one belives in higher people. But if you will speak there, very well! The populace, however, blinks: "We are all equal".
"You higher people,"- so blinks he populace -"there are no higher people, we are all equal; man is man, before God--we are all equal!" Before God!--Now, however, this God has died. Before the populace, however, we will not be equal. You higher people, away from the market place!

Before God!--Now however this God has died! You higher people, this God was your greatest danger. Only since he lay in the grave, have you again risen. Now only comes the great noontime, now only does the higher man become--master!
Have you uderstood this word, O my brothers? You are frightned: do your hearts turn giddy? Does the abyss here yawn for you? Does the hell-hound here yelps at you? Well! Take heart! You higher people! Only now is the mountain of the human future in labour. God has died: now do we desire--the overman to live!

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
This is one of the better Thus Spake Zarathustra chapters. Read it.

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:31 PM
It's one of the earliest chapters, no? I thought it was alright. I prefer when he explained things more plainly later on. But that was the best of the early chapters, indeed.

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Actually that's one of the latest ones, after he had met his companions and they are all on the verge of one big gathering in the Zarathustra cave.

From the earliest chapter, I like the notes on War and Battle (not an actual chapter).

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Ah well it started and ended in nearly the same literary way. I've lent my copy to a friend, so I really can't tell at the moment. Although, I think one of the best parts was when he met the kings.

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah definatly.

"I am law only for my own; I am not a law for all. He, however, who belongs to me must be strong of bone and light of foot-".
"The best belong to mine and me; and if it not given us, then do we take it:--the best food, the purest sky, the strongest thoughts, the fairest women!".

wheelchairman
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
A few months ago, when I first read it, I wrote some quotes I liked and put them on a different forum, I just found them now. I added my own emphasis.

"O my brothers, am I then cruel? But I say: That which is falling should also be pushed!
Everything of today - it is falling, it is decaying: who would support it?
But I - want to push it too!
Do you know the delight that rolls stones into precipitous depths? - These men of today: just see how they roll into my depths!
I am a prologue to better players, O my brothers! An example! Follow my example!
And him you do not teach to fly, teach - to fall faster"
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzche, Of Old and New Law - Tables, no. 20

"Truly, better to live among hermits and goat-herds than with our gilded, false, painted rabble - although it calls iteself "good company",
Although it calls itself 'nobility'. But there everything is false and rotten, most of all the blood, thanks to old, evil diseases and worse quacks.
I think the finest and dearest man otday is a healthy peasant, uncouth, cunning, obstinate, enduring: that is the noblest type today."

from "Conversation with the Kings"

HornyPope
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
The bit you quoted from the Conversation with Kings is spoken by the two kings themselves. I'm re-reading the chapter and what I essentialy pick is this as the most standing out:

"With the sword of your utterance you sever the thickest darkness of our hearts. You have discovered our distress; for lo! we are on our way to find the higher man-
-"The man that is higher than we, although we are kings. To him do we convey this ass. For the highest man shall also be the highest lord on earth.
"There is no sorer misfortune in all human destiny, than when the mighty of the earth are not also the first people. Then everything becomes false and distorder and monstrous.".