PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a neardeath experience?

Dion
04-26-2005, 08:14 AM
I did last night. I was driving in my car when a dude took a turn without watching. In order to avoid him i turned the wheel. I crahed on a wall with the front and later crashed again on the side. The funny thing is that it all happened in front of a cemetery...

Dr.Faustus
04-26-2005, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't class it as 'funny' but I can see what you're saying.

I very nearly got hit in the head by a golf ball when I was in a Golf Buggy a couple of years ago. The golf ball zoomed past my head, but would have hit me in my head had my dad not have moved me out of the way.

JohnnyNemesis
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Yeah, a few times.

I've been robbed at both gunpoint and knifepoint. I don't know if those count as neardeath experiences though, because in both cases, there wasn't much resistance on my part. I resisted until I saw the weapons and realized I was unarmed.

Another time, my uncle was driving me to his wife's house in Queens, and the road was super slick. We swerved and skidded right in front of a gate. We were way high up on a bridge like thing, so we all would have died had we busted through.

Another time, my brother was driving along the highway. It was around 2:30 AM. We were driving and we kept hearing these weird noises. We would stiop and check the vehicle, but didn't find much wrong. We kept driving, and all of a sudden sparks completely obstructed our view. The left driver's side tire completely popped right off of the car and flew into the distance! If that happened earlier in the evening with lots of cars around, we'd have been fucked. Good thing no one was there.

Mota Boy
04-26-2005, 08:30 AM
While being born, my umbilical cord got wrapped around my neck. The doctor, a family friend, had to perform an emergency c-section to get me out alive. He then went home and drank a bottle of wine.

I've also had a few experiences that, if something had gone differently, I would've had a high likelihood of dieing (near near-death experiences?), but I don't really count those.

RXP
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
I had a 103 or 104 temp.

JoY
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
been robbed at knifepoint. I don't like that story at all. hardly anyone knows about it. I stayed pretty calm, but my dog kept barking & the girls (yes, girls) said that if I didn't shut it up, they'd stab it. THEN I got really fucking scared. I gave them everything I had, which wasn't much more than a bunch of crackers with some cheese, but luckily they left me alone after that.

I've been in many accidents. even though I know I'm not the most careful person in traffic, I swear none of the crashes were my fault. I've been hit by a car while biking about five to six times. mostly by people taking a turn to the right without looking. one time by some crazy female on purpose. she was standing still, she saw me right in front of her car & she just.. suddenly stepped on the gas. I saw her face, her eyes.. she seemed confused. either way, I got away with a few bruises every time, luckily.

when I was young, my dad hit a car in front of him. I still remember that & the way I swinged to the front, ending up between the driver-seat & the passenger-seat. I don't remember being scared. I was just pissed off at my dad, even though I was six, or so.

when I was sixteen my father hit a deer. this might not sound dangerous to you, but the car was totalled. smoke coming from under the bonnet, deer blood all over our front-window... I was just looking back when it happened, so my neck got a strange hit & it hurt for like a week.

I once got stuck between two trams. this has been the only time I think, that I really believed I was going to die. those things don't stop for anything, or anyone. I was squished in a space of about 30 cm with my bike & a massive bag. the police had to stop the trams & get me lose from between them.

a year ago I was biking to uni. I was just about to take a turn left & cross a street, when a bus passed by. this sounds like a stupid experience, but it has been the scariest one of all. I was already with my front-wheel on the street, the bus made a warning sound (how do you say that?) that was incredibly loud & that shocked the hell out of me, hit my frontwheel & I almost fell over, shaking with shock. the bus was driving so fast & it was so close. it just whooshed past me & I felt my hair blowing up.

there was one time (I was two/three) my mother was on the phone, when she'd just put me in the bath & had the water running. when she realised I was in the tub with the water running, she hurried back, screaming hysterically. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember it always was my favorite game to climb up the edge of the bathtub. maybe it became my favorite game after my mom found me on that edge & was so glad, she hugged me for over half an hour.

I remember very clearly how it was, when I had a strange ear-infection, that had infected a bone behind my ear in my head. that truly felt like I was dying. it appeared to be I was close to it too. it was an early stage of meningitis, that they couldn't have cured, if they wouldn't have been in time. I was staying at my grandmother & my mom called her up to ask my granny how me & my ear-infection were doing & my grandmother said; "oh she's fine. she cries a lot, but don't all children do, when they're sick." my mother rushed over & brought me to the hospital, because she knew after all the years I'd been sick, I never cry when I'm sick.

JoY
04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
I had a 103 or 104 temp.
what's that in normal euro-talk?

JohnnyNemesis
04-26-2005, 09:32 AM
been robbed at knifepoint. I don't like that story at all. hardly anyone knows about it. I stayed pretty calm, but my dog kept barking & the girls (yes, girls) said that if I didn't shut it up, they'd stab it.
As interesting/frustrating as all of your experiences are, I feel I must comment on this one. This one just really gets to me. As most can imagine, I know a lot about criminal behavior and such from firsthand experience in the Bronx, and I get the feeling that these worthless cunts would never have stabbed your dog. They had that rush of power in them, they felt invincible (even though deep down inside, they were probably a little scared too), and decided to scare you even MORE just to counter their own inner fears. I feel I may be having trouble explaining myself here, so I hope that's clear.

Here's wishing something heavy falls on all of those girls.

JoY
04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I understand you perfectly fine & I agree. I mean, it's probably true. I'm not raised with these kind of situations, or that even the possibility exists something like that would happen. that someone would even do that. at the age of 10, or so, it just shocked the hell out me. threatening my dog. man. I knew they probably wouldn't have touched me with a finger, but I felt so incredibly guilty towards my dog (I -know- that sounds dumb), because it was my big mouth that started it in the first place. they were saying something crummy & I said something like "why don't you just shut your face." then the shit just hit the fan. urgh.

Inshane
04-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I thought this was about the -near death experiences- as in : I was floating above my body, watching myself and docters trying to save me. I woke up thinking I was dead but I wasnt. those kind of near death experiences. they really interest me. especially the people who had them and said they just -could not die- because of something they had to deal with first.

kubler-ross, she explained it all perfectly and honest in A circle of Life. and I do believe what she writes. If you often think about death. living. and 'that whats beyond life' this is a real comforting book to read.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Near death? Hmm. Probably the only one I've ever had was when I was on my roller blades in an unknown neighbourhood. I turned a corner and suddenly came onto a very steep hill, and before I could stop I was going down it. Solid and painful concrete all around me, and I couldn't stop because I'd have hurt myself a lot on the concrete. At the bottom of the hill was a road, and all the way down I prayed there was no cars coming. I reached the bottom and thankfully came to a stop at the other end of the road. There were no cars. But if there had been.. I was easily going 30-40mph, that would have been it.

satitania
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
i was in a really scary car accident once. Middle of winter and km's away from anywhere. It was a hit and run and the car lost control on the ice road...luckily the ditch we landed in was just a ditch and not a ravine like most of the road had been during the trip. If it wasnt a ditch that wouldve been it for me and my dad :(

TheHulaChick
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Hmm I've been in two car crashes, one was minor, but the other was pretty bad. My mum and I were drivin in our van (she was the driver) down a dirt road and the van skidded in loose gravel. The van slid all over the road and all I remember then is it headin into the trees and then seeing everything spin. We dunno how many times it rolled but then it stopped on it's side and my mum was hangin above me and we had to climb up out of the drivers door. We got some bruises and stiff joints but nothin serious thanks goodness.

Always wear your seatbelt! seatbelts saved our lives for sure!

Betty
04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
That's scary stuff, for all of you guys.

I feel like when I drive I get more and more paranoid. When I first learned to drive at 16, I had a certain small sense of invisibility. But at this point, I am very aware of the possibility of getting into a crash. Especially in the winter.

Also, when I ride my bike, I am very nervous about riding in traffic.

I don't trust other drivers. And I don't trust ice.

But all your stories make me think that at least I'm not a total paranoid nutcase.

0r4ng3
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I would think that if you thought you were invisible, you would be more paranoid because other people can't see you

Noodles is gay
04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
yup; was riding my moped last September, was hit by some speeding gimp, flew off moped into road, hurt quite a lot but, curiously, i just got up and went to school!

My moped was pretty fucking trashed though :(

Yeah...that was pretty fucking crazy - i started shaking later, once i'd realized how close it was. :eek:

0r4ng3
04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
when i was like 8 or 9, i fell over a staircase banister and landed headfirst on a bike.

ok, its not near-death, but i got a pretty nasty cut next to my eye

ninth
04-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Once I was sitting on hill that sloped down and became a cliff face. Long story short, I lost my footing and ended up clutching a rock and a fucking shrub to keep myself from falling like fifty feet onto either rocks or water. No one would have seen me fall and eventually drown, so, ya know, I'm glad that I pulled myself up and found a way up that fucking hill without slidding down more than a few feet at a time.

Another time I was driving back home from a college town in the middle of a blizzard. I tried to pass a semi but ended up sliding across the grassy median and then back into it. Snow was covering my windowshield and it was severely uncool.

Oh, and near death by auto-erotic asphyxiation.

panzor41
04-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Near Death....When i was born i had my ambilical cord around my neck....

at one year i was dropped in the ocean.....under tow almost got me....

at five i choked on a life saver....[what a coincidence lol]

My Friend: Walked right in front of an SUV going 40 in the snow....in order to avoid him they almost killed themselves......

Happy days....

Tired_Of_You
04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I've also had a few experiences that, if something had gone differently, I would've had a high likelihood of dieing (near near-death experiences?), but I don't really count those.
Me too. I would have been dead at 1 year old in a car crash if it wasn't for my grand-mother.

As for near death experiences, I don't think I ever had one.

UnityMinersrulz
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
i have had gun to head

Camilamazed
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Nope. Thank Goodness :D

wheelchairman
04-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Any of you have any near-life experiences? (omg deepness stolen from deep films)

hmm, at the tender age of 16, I drank a half bottle of vodka like water in a rather short period of time. I woke up in the hospital. I wouldn't count this, as I have absolutely no recollection of this, except some puke stained clothes, and the world's worst hangover.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-26-2005, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine emptied an entire bottle of whisky when she was 2. She had to have her stomach pumped.

Lars
04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
While being born, my umbilical cord got wrapped around my neck. The doctor, a family friend, had to perform an emergency c-section to get me out alive.
Similar, except I hadn't turned around yet, which my mother had to tell them about a week before I was born and they found that it was around my neck.

When I was little (not sure how old anymore, 5 maybe?) but riding on my bike to go pick up my brother from school with my mother, I passed under the tree that lined the street infront of our house and just after I passed it a rather large branch fell down on the the sidewalk missing me by 1 or 2 feet.

When in a school yard/track area in Saudi Arabia, some kids at the building site (4 or 5 story building) threw a grinding disk (circular kind, similar to a round saw blade size) from the top that missed hitting me in the back of my head by about 1 foot, it landed in the sand/dirt next to me.

I'm sure there's probably more. I don't consider the terrible car driving of the general British public and my cycling on the roads near death experiences cause then I'd have to list way too many. I've grazed the doors of cars a few times cause people didn't consider to look if a cyclist was coming past before opening their door, one time it made a hole in my pants/trousers, that annoyed me.

Isolated Fury
04-26-2005, 05:28 PM
When I was two, I accidentally stumbled while I was walking around and fell onto a bee's nest. I had stings all over my body, and they crawled under my clothing. My parents rushed me to the emergency room, and the docters said that if they had been there fifteen minutes later than they were, I would have died from the poison.

I also almost died when I was seven. I was sleep walking one night, and my mother was the only one awake. She heard me walk behind her, so she followed me. I opened the cellar door and attempted to step in. However, we didn't have the stairs installed yet because we had just recently moved into the house. My mother caught me and prevented me from falling just before I stepped down.

I've also been in three car wrecks. Two of the wrecks are over 50 mph when they occured.

JohnnyNemesis
04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
When in a school yard/track area in Saudi Arabia, some kids at the building site (4 or 5 story building) threw a grinding disk (circular kind, similar to a round saw blade size) from the top that missed hitting me in the back of my head by about 1 foot, it landed in the sand/dirt next to me.

This reminds me of a recent near death experience. The building neighbors a humongous high rise in downtown Manhattan. I was out front eating a sandwich, and someone flung a bottle of Vodka from god knows high far up, and it landed right next my foot and splashed shatterted glass all over my legs. Missed my head by less than an inch, I swear. Very scary. Happened in November.

Unnatural Disaster
04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
When I walk to school i have to walk through a busy intersection. So i waited for my light to turn green so I could start walking.... Well when it turned green, i stepped off the curb and walked into the street. Suddenly practically out of nowhere, a car came speeding around the corner where i was. He was probably going about 50 miles per hour.... Anyway, he came about 6 inches from hitting me before i jumped out of the way. What was weird about it was that i was listening to my mp3 player at the time and a song that i don't like that much came on it while i was about the walk across the street, then i thought to myself, "i better not mess with my mp3 player right now, you never know what crazy people could run me over while i'm not paying attention...."

Telekinesis
04-27-2005, 02:51 AM
When I was about 8 years old I got appendisitis. Lucky I wasn't at school otherwise I probably would have died, those bastards never care when you have a stomach ache so I probably would've just dropped dead in the class. But it was the school holidays so I got to the hospital but I was there for the whole mid-term break :( also last month me and me friend were hanging around at me old primary school after school was over and this dude with a BB gun said he was gonna shoot us. Well actually he asked if we wanted to be shooted. I said "please, no" me friend just sniggered and said "don't worry it's not real." then he showed us the clip from the gun. I was really freaked out. The we walked away behind a wall. My friend was like "don't worry, it was a cap gun, they have clips too." then we told a teacher and she went to look for them(the dude had his friend with him, who my friend thought was hot), she couldn't find them.One of the other teachers drove me home and said I was over reacting. Then later on that evening mt friend called me and said she had talked to the cops.Apparently it was a real gun but it was broken and Sab had lied to calm me down(but she didn't know it was broken at the time),she is a great friend (no sarcasm mate, she's bloody awesome) now the dude has a criminal record. If you understood all of that your a top bloke as us aussies say,sorry if it didn't make any sense to you but it was the most traumatic experience of my life so I should be given some recognition. Cheers Mate!

neocon58
04-27-2005, 03:28 AM
I got hit by a car in Glenelg when I was a toddler. Almost died.

Good times...

ThrashedThrasher
04-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Not really near death, but I've had a quad (4 wheeler) roll on top of me twice, Once going up a hill I was on the back with my my mom driving and she couldn't pop it out of 1st gear so we flipped and the 2nd time I turned too sharply on our track at home and it flipped over.

I almost got hit by numerous cars in one day trying to catch a fucking bus in Seattle. People don't know how to stop for those of us that don't have the money or aren't old enough to have a car.

And then last summer I was working with a friend at her house and we were getting rid of sheet metal I had a piece slide off the truck and it almost chopped my head off.

JoY
04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Quads are totally cool. especially on a muddy track in the rain. *loves*

Mota Boy
04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh yeaaaaahhhh... I just remembered about the time in tenth grade when I walked in on quasi-friend of mind drunk out of his mind. I heard loud thumps coming from his room and when I entered he had his back to me and was waving a five-inch knife at another friend and his girlfriend. He turned his head around, looked at me, then raised the knife over his head and, pointing it at me, fell backwards towards me.

I backed up to the wall and the knife hit me in the diaphragm, but fortunately he started off far enough away from me that it didn't even break through my shirts before he went horizontal and gravity got the best of him.

I don't know if I would've died, but eh, it's a decent story.

Hmmm, and then I OD'd once too, come to think of it.