10-21-2004, 04:19 PM
You left out one part of the song, "anti flag sucks"

ihatechrissneed
10-22-2004, 01:45 AM
do i care, biatch :cool: :rolleyes:

Revolver-2005?
10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
listen buddy anti flag is good cause they know who suck...maybe you should be in those lyrics

ihatechrissneed
10-22-2004, 03:48 PM
listen buddy anti flag is good cause they know who suck...maybe you should be in those lyrics
i'd be honoured :p

Moose
10-23-2004, 01:29 AM
see topic title

how can u say indie sucks, wen indie represents independent rock meaning it cannot be categorized as lets say punk, meaning it is different in every form, meaning every indie band could have a completely different sound from eachother...oh and by the way, a couple of years back i was watching vh1, and they mentioned indie bands (referring to the yr in music breakouts or something) and they showed a quick clip of the offspring, i belive pretty fly. it just means that the band cannot be categorized in a group. ive said this as nice as possible, without cursing. im fucking proud of myself...shit!...uhh fuck...shit...damnit now i cant stop...ahh crap...ok i can accept crap as not a curse...end of message now.
________
roll blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

ihatechrissneed
10-23-2004, 03:48 AM
Look, the whole topic was a joke mate, it's a song by anti-flag that came into my head because all the other topics were "kerry sucks, green day sucks etc"

Vera
10-23-2004, 04:51 AM
So. They were talking about independent bands. And then they show a clip of "Pretty Fly".

I fail to see the connection.

SicN Twisted
10-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Some "indie" is baffling.

"Look, I can play guitar with a skrewdriver! ZHZHZZZZ! ZHEEEHZHZ!"

Although indie itself, as previously stated, is NOT a genre. Early Offspring could've been considered indie if it came out at the right place and the right time and had a bit more feedback.

Vera
10-23-2004, 07:26 AM
I thought indie rock was a genre.

SicN Twisted
10-24-2004, 01:46 PM
If it is, it's really vague. Broken SOcial Scene is indie, so is Pavement. They sound nothing alot.

nieh
10-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Indie rock is music that is put out by independent labels (i.e. labels that are in no way affiliated with other corporations. Columbia Records is owned by Sony therefore: NOT INDIE.) That's the defining characteristic. As a result of this, the band has to put a lot more of their own time and money into the recording of music. Since they're putting a lot more of themselves into the songs, and they don't have anyone telling them they can or can't do something, they tend to have a lot more of an emotional feeling to it and throw in bit more unusual stuff than your average band would. While indie rock does have a huge range in sound between stuff like Dismemberment Plan, Fugazi, Pavement, Mars Volta, etc. there still remains a sort of vibe between the bands, which has made the term 'indie' apply to a general sound as opposed to strictly what label it's on. An example of that would be how the Strokes are sometimes considered an Indie rock band, despite the fact that they're put out by RCA. As SicN Twisted said, technically the first 3 Offspring albums were indie because Epitaph was it's own thing, everything on Nitro Records is indie, and so forth. But those labels cater strictly towards punk, so it's hard to call them indie rock labels because their sole purpose is to sign punk bands.

SicN Twisted
10-24-2004, 09:31 PM
That's not exactly all true, cause then underground punk would be considered indie - and it's not. And Sonic Youth is indie rock despite being signed to a major label. The distinctions are a bit more complicated.

BREAK
10-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Indie is a SOUND. It is typified by amateurish vocals, loose instrumentation, lyrics that don't make much sense, & lo-fi production values. There are many, many bands that get labelled "indie" who don't fit this description, but that's because they generally go for other non-commercial sounds(like power-pop, alt-country, post-rock, etc.). For a long time, every band that was on an independent label was considered "indie", but there are so few true independent labels left that that definition doesn't make much sense anymore. So now the true definition of "indie" is "Anything that Pitchforkmedia busts a load over."

greencows12
10-29-2004, 11:26 PM
indie sux hardline sux emo sux you suck! :)

Blackball
11-08-2004, 07:31 AM
"Indie" and "Emo" are really broad terms and can mean loads of things but personally when I think Emo I think shit like HIM and when I think indie i think of shit like oasis so yeah indie and emo do suck if it means bands like them but if you just take it as emotional and independant then I wouldn't say all independant and emotional music sucks

Fallen.
11-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Indie rock is music that is put out by independent labels (i.e. labels that are in no way affiliated with other corporations. Columbia Records is owned by Sony therefore: NOT INDIE.) That's the defining characteristic. As a result of this, the band has to put a lot more of their own time and money into the recording of music. Since they're putting a lot more of themselves into the songs, and they don't have anyone telling them they can or can't do something, they tend to have a lot more of an emotional feeling to it and throw in bit more unusual stuff than your average band would. While indie rock does have a huge range in sound between stuff like Dismemberment Plan, Fugazi, Pavement, Mars Volta, etc. there still remains a sort of vibe between the bands, which has made the term 'indie' apply to a general sound as opposed to strictly what label it's on. An example of that would be how the Strokes are sometimes considered an Indie rock band, despite the fact that they're put out by RCA. As SicN Twisted said, technically the first 3 Offspring albums were indie because Epitaph was it's own thing, everything on Nitro Records is indie, and so forth. But those labels cater strictly towards punk, so it's hard to call them indie rock labels because their sole purpose is to sign punk bands.

sorry, but you're talking out your arse.

killboypwrheadjx
11-08-2004, 03:02 PM
dammit i was about to say that whore!