PDA

View Full Version : Just came back from a Greenday show...

sKratch
04-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Holy shit, AMAZING. I don't even listen to them that much any more, and I'm really not too familiar with anything on Warning or newer. But my sweet lord, they put on a fucking fantastic performance. They played in the events center on my campus (Binghamton University) and the place was packed. Gah, I don't even know what to say other than "it rocked my face to the extreme." They did a cover of Knowledge by Operation Ivy and in the staged encore set they did we are the champions by Queen. What really blew me away was the pyro. I was totally not expecting to see pyrotechnics in my university's events center. Somehow I could instantly feel the heat when huge flames shot out behind the stage. Also, there was tons of confetti at the end which was rather sweet.
But man... there was just so much energy put forth by the band, and it was such a great atmosphere. Looking at Billy Joe's face (I was about 20 feet away bitches) I could tell that he was genuinely having a great time, and he loved the crowd. Splooge.

PS - My Chemical Romance opened, and I hate them. I've already forgotten everything about their set, and they may as well have not even been there.

Camilamazed
04-27-2005, 09:38 PM
I do envy you skratch...... I'm dying too see them again even more now because of this new kinda of gig. The old ones used to be so simple and now they are well produced. They have always played Knowledge (Did BJ called a boyu from teh audienca and kissed him in his mouth?? He used to do that) and I heard that they played we are the champions but never heard the song.

I'm really glad about you :D

sKratch
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
They had 3 people come on stage and play part of Knowledge.

One thing I forgot about -- waiting in line outside:

Fucking ridiculous. First, it was raining. Then it stopped. THEN HAIL. HUGE FUCKING HAIL. I've never been in a hail storm before. It was crazy. It was hailing for a good 20 minutes, stopped and changed to huge rain drops, and went to hail again for a while. I swear someone sent weather from hell. We had to wait out there for so long, too.
The Hail
http://www.skratch-zero.com/crap/greenday_hail.jpg
The rainbow afterwards?
http://www.skratch-zero.com/crap/greenday_rainbow.jpg

Camilamazed
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Here in Brazil BJ had just a boy to play with him..... Afterwards he kissed the guy , It was way funny hehe.......

Cool pics, have you taken of the gig? :D

sKratch
04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
i gave my phone (camera) to a friend with a backpack when we got inside because I didn't want to lose it. So sorry, no gig pics.

Nina
04-27-2005, 10:11 PM
grrrr. i'm jealous. although i do not like greenday at all.
how is it like, going to a concert in which many of the songs played you do not know? yeah, thats actually a serious question. nevermind my english, i just woke up.

sKratch
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Before I go pass out, I'll say I know most of their old stuff. I only totally didn't know about 1 or 2 songs that they played.

Betty
04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Nina... in my opinion... it's definitely not the same when you don't know many of the songs. It feels kinda odd when everybody around you is singing at the top of their lungs and you're like "yup, this sounds okay".

BUT, some of the best concerts I have been to are when I barely know the band playing. It is an amazing feeling when you hear a band you aren't familiar with and you just ADORE their music even though you've never heard it before. That happened to me with Tiger Army and the Damned and the Start. They all awed me. So it can still be really fun. But if the band is only so-so, it's not as fun if you don't know the songs. And when you only know the popular song(s), then I know I feel kinda silly cause I'm just not nearly as cool as the hardcore fans around me. But meh, oh well. I also find it kinda discouraging how some people won't even try and listen to a band if they don't know them. I really try and listen to all bands I don't know. I always try and support the opening acts, and sometimes they are really good, but not many people do.

SKratch, I think Green Day is definitely a band I wanna see at some point in my life. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I am not the biggest fan (well, I have Dookie, Insomniac, Kerplunk and Warning that only get light/moderate rotation on my CD player so...) but I think they'd be really fun. Your story supports that theory!

foxy
04-28-2005, 12:13 AM
no fair i wanted to go

Jackish
04-28-2005, 03:50 AM
I have to tickets to there 60,000 capacity show in June.

Question is...

Should I go when I have no one else to go with? I bought them for a girl mainly but she kind of fucked off, word. So I dunno - I really want to go but i've never been anywhere like that and 60,000 people sounds a bit scary, although great at the same time! :rolleyes:

0r4ng3
04-28-2005, 05:27 AM
they played Knowledge? jeez, they've been playing that song at every live show since '89! at least thats what i heard

Mota Boy
04-28-2005, 07:18 AM
You lucky son of a bitch... our spring concert series was headlined by Hootie and the Blowfish.

They performed a cover of Led Zeppelin.

I want to maim whoever the fuck was in charge.

sKratch
04-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Wait for it... wait for it...
Less Than Jake is playing for free on Saturday.

Betty - I highly highly highly recommend seeing them some time. The show just has so much energy... it's freaking awesome. I don't even know what to say. You'll leave the concert just feeling satisfied.

Mota Boy
04-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Pshh, you know what the real killer is? This was the first year that we had to pay for the concerts, ostensibly because that way we could afford better artitsts.

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
You think the rain for you was a bitch? It was pouring here. I spent the noon and and the afternoon shopping for a car and the evening driving back in zero visibility.

Congrats on the show. Last i've seen Greenday was on the Warning tour. Good stuff.

"I've no idea who Greeday are."

I asked you to go to the Green Day concert
You said you never heard of them (how cool is that?)

Izie
04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Heh, they ruled pretty much the same way when we saw them in Amsterdam in January, they also brought some dudes on stage and gave a guitar to one of them, and were just great in general.

Ironically, I don't know most of their older stuff, but Ken educated me with international superhits, or something like that. I must say I enjoyed :) And wee, you enjoyed too :)

What made my experience special, is the fact that the concert was in the middle of our exam period, so we were studying philosophy in the car on the way to and from Amsterdam. We also ate some chips in a filthy gas station at 2am. Awww :')

Jesus
04-28-2005, 09:32 AM
^^ what Iz said, since I'm Ken...

We're seeing 'm again on the Werchter Festival (http://www.rockwerchter.be) (30th june tile 3rd of july). They got a 2 hour slot (when we saw them they only played 1 hour and 45 minutes, so \m/ for the 15 minutes more)!

Our opener was New Found Glory so you could have done worse than my chemical romance i suppose...

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
The N had nothing to do with the post. I was just quoting Weezer lyrics meh.

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Weezy is originaly a short term for wheezy going back to old pre-Norman British times where the ink was scarce and so to be more efficient in their play-writing the authors were forced to drop the "h" character.

Just a Girl
04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
i saw green day a couple of years ago and they were indeed amazing.

my chemical romance are playing leeds fest. i plan to take a gun.

sKratch
04-28-2005, 01:18 PM
The best was when they prefaced a song by saying it was about cemeteries, dying, and coming back again or something. Holy shit what a lame band. They had to constantly tell the crowd "get your hands together," "this is the mosh pit song," "get your lighters out for this one," etc. If you're a good band people figure that shit out on their own.

And Ken, I don't know if I'd rather have NFG or My Chemical... both suck terribly. That's definitely a close one.

sKratch
04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Vlad - FUCKING HAIL! I don't care about rain, or driving through rain. It was raining M&M's onto me, basically. And after that, it rained regular rain for a while too.

ninth
04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
That happened to me with Tiger Army and the Damned and the Start. They all awed me. So it can still be really fun.
I think I went to part of that tour, except it was Tsunami Bomb, Tiger Army, and the Damned. Best small venue show ever, I swear. All of the bands interacted with the crowd and the energy when Tiger Army played was rather quite intense. One of my favorite things about that show was when the Damned started talking about how they were going to play a song from 1979 and the kids up front cheered all loud and whatnot to which the leader singer guy (no, I do not know his name) replied, "Shut up, you weren't even born then." It was hilarious.

Yo sKratch, I'm going to see that line-up on May 11th. How early did you show up to get that close to the stage?

Camilamazed
04-28-2005, 04:11 PM
they played Knowledge? jeez, they've been playing that song at every live show since '89! at least thats what i heard
You Bet !!!!!! :D

I listened to that live back in 1998 :D

satitania
04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
i was supposed to see greenday at vans a few years back..but then i was told they already played, so i headed home cause i had a rugby practice...drunk from vans...rugby drunk is somethin else...

then it turned out i hadnt missed them originally garrr :mad:

Betty
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I think I went to part of that tour, except it was Tsunami Bomb, Tiger Army, and the Damned. Best small venue show ever, I swear. All of the bands interacted with the crowd and the energy when Tiger Army played was rather quite intense. One of my favorite things about that show was when the Damned started talking about how they were going to play a song from 1979 and the kids up front cheered all loud and whatnot to which the leader singer guy (no, I do not know his name) replied, "Shut up, you weren't even born then." It was hilarious.

That sounds like an amazing tour. I was pretty pumped when I saw Tiger Army tour with Social Distortion, with the Explosion opening (half decent band).

But I saw all the bands on separate occasions. The Damned was my highlight of the Warped Tour in 2001 when I went. I was actually with a couple of guys who WERE alive back in the 70's and were hardcore fans when it actually all happened. So it was pretty neat, they went and talked to the guys from the band and were really excited about it. I was just still blown away by the performance. Tiger Army was the highlight of the Warped Tour I attended last summer. Yes, it took me THAT long to get into Tiger Army, I'm pretty disappointed in myself. And I saw the Start when they opened for the Offspring last summer. And have since seen them open for Goldfinger. I'd love to see them headline a show (in Canada!) because whenever they open they barely get any crowd reaction.

I've also seen Tsunami Bomb just at a smaller show in my smaller city and I was really impressed by their performance.

Bah! And now I really, really want to see Green Day. I think they played Toronto earlier this year, but I was all caught up in school work, etc, etc, so didn't go. And they're playing another nearby show really soon, but it's sold out, etc. Oh well, next time for sure.

Vlad, I loved the Weezer lyrics! (*mutter* Damn Weezer for selling out in 3 minutes... and ticketmaster for sucking in more ways than one...)

sKratch
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Yo sKratch, I'm going to see that line-up on May 11th. How early did you show up to get that close to the stage?
I think my school is a 10,000 person venue. I showed up about half an hour before doors opened. Doors opened at 7 and the show started at 8. A good amount of people skipped the opening act. It wasn't too hard to get to the front. But holy crap it was so tight up there... I had like 3 people's worth of sweat on me. Mmmm.

Weezer would indeed be awesome to see live... has anyone ever seen them? And don't give up on the Greenday show; look around ebay for tickets as the date approaches.

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Vlad, I loved the Weezer lyrics! (*mutter* Damn Weezer for selling out in 3 minutes... and ticketmaster for sucking in more ways than one...)

When I say someone sucks in "more ways than one" I litteraly imply the tired oral sex pun... like you know... 'sucking dick'. I'm surprised to learn this expression is used in more figurative forms.

Onto the topic of Green Day, I can honestly say I never came across someone who hasn't hear of the band. Ever. I'm not saying it's an absolutly-must-know band but i've taken for granted that everyone has ought to hear of them at least once. Hearing Maria's surprise made me instantly think of El Scorcho lyrics--which btw still buffles me with what the hell the word means.

Betty
04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah... I don't think that'll work out... it's May 4th... I have no one to go with... I haven't even figured out where it IS (like, what city even)... I am not prepared to pay through my teeth... I do not have a car... etc, etc. Not to sound like a big giving-upper... but when I try I try hard, but sometimes I just decide to not try, and I think this may be one of those times...

I've never had a problem getting up front for a show. A few times I waited in line for about an hour and then just ran up to the barrier as soon as I got through the doors, no problem. A few times I got there late, but if I really wanted to see the band, just pushed up front (I feel so rude! But I do it when they're one of my favourites) and got 2nd/3rd row of people.

I was SO excited when I heard Weezer was playing a show in Toronto and the tickets were going on sale the coming Saturday and I hadn't even missed out on buying one yet! So I got up all early and was at my computer ready to click the buy ticket button. And then 10 o'clock rolled around and the ticketmaster system crashed. Tickets were on sale, but you could not click to buy them. With continuous refreshing, when the link finally let me click it, at about 10:04, it said they were sold out. Dumbest thing ever. Also, the ticket limit was 40. Yeah. Gay. But at least a LOT of people were in the same boat, and some probably way more hardcore fans than I. It's funny that when Offspring played the same venue (about 2500?) it didn't even sell out, or at least not until right near the end if it did.

Betty
04-28-2005, 10:30 PM
When I say someone sucks in "more ways than one" I litteraly imply the tired oral sex pun... like you know... 'sucking dick'. I'm surprised to learn this expression is used in more figurative forms.

Hmm... I don't think I've ever used it before... perhaps it is a faux pas on my part? Sounded alright when I typed it though.

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I forgive you my child.

Betty
04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
That means a lot to me.

Dammit, I don't have ICQ on this computer, but we will definitely have some business to discuss soon. And now that I have no school and try and while away my time online, nobody is ever on MSN late at night. Boo to that.

HornyPope
04-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Cyber sex? I'm game.

You can install icq btw in under a minute. It's like a 5mb exe or something.

sKratch
04-29-2005, 08:34 AM
=Hearing Maria's surprise made me instantly think of El Scorcho lyrics--which btw still buffles me with what the hell the word means.
If you're talking about the lyrics, look at what the whole song is about... it's not too complicated. If you're talking about the song title, I'm not so sure either.

ninth
04-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Tiger Army was the highlight of the Warped Tour I attended last summer.
I drove five hours to get to that Warped Tour and ended up sleeping in and missing Tiger Army. It was no fucking good. I did, however, end up having a good time and seeing some decent bands. I was standing near the stage when the Casualties started playing (because at that point I wasn't paying any attention to anything) and some streetpunk looking kids tried pushing me around, both of them got hit. I hate the Casualties.
I'm kinda bitter with AP magazine because of that tour though, I signed up for and paid for a subscription to their magazine and it never came. THose faggots.