PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Mota Boy
04-28-2005, 03:14 PM
As the 2nd millennium came to a close, as the media focus on the coming parties, the danger from terrorism, wacko religious people (I saw an episode of the 700 club dedicated to survivalism) and the Y2K bug reached a fever pitch, one question added slightly to the confusion - what will we call the next decade?

We've all seen VH1's "I love the 70's/80's/90's" (and if you haven't, you're missing out in some excellent filler TV). But what of this decade? What to call it? I remember reading one or two articles on it, but none gave a good answer. The zeros? The ohs? The aughts? The two thousands? The answer? None. We're halfway through this decade now, and nobody has called it anything.

OK, that's not entirely true. People refer to it as "the first decade of the new millennium". Or "at the dawn of the 21st century". Nobody knows what to say. Eventually though, we'll have to... right? I mean, not now. Now we can skirt. But what happens when we get nostalgic? What happens in, say, 2007 when the "Hits from the early _ _ _ _ _ 's" comes out? Or when VH1 once again starts scraping bottom for new material? How can we classify a decade we can't even bring ourselves to christen?

My suggestion is the "ohs". The other options, to me, seem either outdated or overly long. Some people refer to the last decade as the "nineteen nineties", but the vast majority of the population slangs it. We just don't like long words, and "ohs" rolls off the tongue so effortlessly. And yet it hasn't caught on.

Is it that it's too slangy? Naming decades isn't usually something that originates on the streets, and "the ohs" might be too casual for any official publication that would attempt to classify it. No respectable commentator wants to be the first to throw it around. So what? Do we just ignore it until the next decade (the teens?) or do we try to name it?

ninth
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Was the decade that lasted from 1900-1910 ever given a slang term? If so I could see some variation of that as working towards 2000-2010. Or maybe we could all be astrology faggots and call it the dawning of the age of aquarius or something along those lines.

the_GoDdEsS
04-28-2005, 03:20 PM
A similar thought crossed my mind recently but I never came up with any options. To me "the zeros" sounds relatively okay compared to the rest. Although it's still too funny.

JohnnyNemesis
04-28-2005, 03:23 PM
There have been frequent disputes over what to call the period from 1900-1910. Some say the 1900s, which really refers to the entire century, not that decade. so all that's done is intensify the confusion.

I dunno, but I see the 2000s working just fine, though I don't like it.

Mota Boy
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Was the decade that lasted from 1900-1910 ever given a slang term?
I was thinking of writing about that in my original post. In the articles I read (half a decade ago), they mentioned that people really didn't start naming decades until the "Roaring twenties", but I wonder if that was just because they were going throught the same linguistic difficulty that we're going through now. The "teens" sounds a bit off too, but I assume that's how that decade will come to be called.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I can't remember the source, but this decade does have an official title. It is.. wait for it.. the "Noughties". I kid you not, it's absolutely true.

coke_a_holic
04-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I can't remember the source, but this decade does have an official title. It is.. wait for it.. the "Noughties". I kid you not, it's absolutely true.
That is fucking sweet. I can't wait to relate my past experiences to my children like, "Oh yes! The noughties! I remember them quite well... The noughties were quite naughty if you were to ask me!" I am so psyched to talk about this decade like that. I would hate myself if I were my son/daughter.

0r4ng3
04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
roaring twenties, meet the "naughty noughties"