PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of advice.. Pleeease...

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Okay, I'm sorry for doing this dumb thread, but I need some advice and nobody around me wants to give it to me. Meh...

Anyway, I discovered what I want to do later in life a few days ago. Well, when I turn 18 I wanna get the money that my parents are going to give me to buy a car and move to Amsterdam. At first I wanna stay in a hostel for a week or two until I find an apartament with rent. I wouldn't mind a roommate or two either. In that time I also wanna look for a job. It doesn't matter what kind of a job as long as I will be able pay the bills. And I also wanna save some money to buy a bike to move easier around the neighbourhood/city. And maybe buy a car later. But I don't know if I'll need one. I mean having a bike is easier, right?
Of course, I wanna start taking some dutch lessons. English won't get me everywhere, right?
Anyway, that's my dream, I really wanna do it, but I'm having second thoughts. And that's because everyone around me thinks that I'm crazy. My parents, my friends, everyone. And it's not fair.

Anyway, I'm asking for some help, just a small advice. Do you think that I'm crazy? Is that a stupid thing to do? Oh, and another thing. Is it better to go to college here, in my country, or should I go to college there?

Any reply related to the topic will be very appreciated.
And thank you, in advance.

sKratch
04-30-2005, 01:46 AM
My advice to you--Don't drink vodka straight from the bottle. That shit sucks, even when you're already drunk.

Congratulations, you have been blessed with my first ever semi-drunk post.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, I drank vodka straight from the bottle and I liked it. I guess that I'm just weird.

notoriousdoc
04-30-2005, 02:10 AM
do what you believe you should do, if you want to go to Amsterdam then go. If you don't you may regret it for the rest of your life :(

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I really really wanna do it and I know that I'll regret it if I won't do it. It's just that I need money to do it. The money that I probably won't have. Dammit.

notoriousdoc
04-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I really really wanna do it and I know that I'll regret it if I won't do it. It's just that I need money to do it. The money that I probably won't have. Dammit.

beg then, no just get a job QUICK

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm 14, dammit. Tell me, how can I get a job?
I'm just hoping that my dad will agree to give me the money for the car that I'm supposed to get when I turn 18.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Yay, I'm not subhuman.

notoriousdoc
04-30-2005, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't know yet...

Sergeant Spliff
04-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Why don't you go to the university there? And after that you'd be much better at the language and it'd be pretty easy to find work, housing etc. Plus your parents wouldn't think that you're wasting your life or anything.

You have very good english so the uni would probably be no problem.

I might be going there in my 3rd year of uni (either there or california!) :D

Izie
04-30-2005, 03:07 AM
Okay, I'm sorry for doing this dumb thread, but I need some advice and nobody around me wants to give it to me. Meh...

Anyway, I discovered what I want to do later in life a few days ago. Well, when I turn 18 I wanna get the money that my parents are going to give me to buy a car and move to Amsterdam. At first I wanna stay in a hostel for a week or two until I find an apartament with rent. I wouldn't mind a roommate or two either. In that time I also wanna look for a job. It doesn't matter what kind of a job as long as I will be able pay the bills. And I also wanna save some money to buy a bike to move easier around the neighbourhood/city. And maybe buy a car later. But I don't know if I'll need one. I mean having a bike is easier, right?
Of course, I wanna start taking some dutch lessons. English won't get me everywhere, right?
Anyway, that's my dream, I really wanna do it, but I'm having second thoughts. And that's because everyone around me thinks that I'm crazy. My parents, my friends, everyone. And it's not fair.

Anyway, I'm asking for some help, just a small advice. Do you think that I'm crazy? Is that a stupid thing to do? Oh, and another thing. Is it better to go to college here, in my country, or should I go to college there?

Providing your country is in the EU by the time you're 18 (and it should be, it's supposed to enter in 2007 if I'm not mistaking), I don't think it'll be that much of a problem. Well, a lot depends on the political situation of that time and stuff, but if you don't need a visa it'll be fine.

But if you wanna to go collegen/uni there, it might be even easier. And if you want a job in Holland, you'd better go to their uni/college. Validating diplomas is a bitch, or so I've heard.

I don't really know how it goes with jobs, I can tell you that when/if I get one.

Other than this very lame "advice" (I'm still sleepy), I'll tell ya anything you wanna know at the tender age of 19 I've escaped my eastern european home for Belgium), if you ask... I think the idea's fine, but the plan might be a bit of problem, since you can't really just up and away to Amsterdam...

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Sergeant Spliff -- Well, I want to go to uni there, but my mom says that it's too expensive and that it's better to go to uni here cause it's less expensive or whatever.

And good luck with going to uni in Amsterdam or in California =)

Izie -- Yes, that's what my mom told me. That things will be different after my country joins the EU in 2007 and whatever. And I really hope that it's gonna be that way.

Anyway, like I said before, my mom says that it's gonna be more expensive to go to uni there and that I should just go to uni here. But if it helps more with getting a nice job, I guess that I'll just have to beg to my parents during 4 years.

And will it be much trouble if I'd ask about how it went when you moved to Belgium? I mean was it too hard to find a place to live? Or did you ave some relatives or friends or whatever that helped you move there? See, that's the problem with me, I'll be moving to a city without knowing anyone there and that's why I think that it's going to be kinda hard.

Anyway, thank you for your help =)

Noodles is gay
04-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Sergeant Spliff -- Well, I want to go to uni there, but my mom says that it's too expensive and that it's better to go to uni here cause it's less expensive or whatever.

And good luck with going to uni in Amsterdam or in California =)

Anyway, like I said before, my mom says that it's gonna be more expensive to go to uni there and that I should just go to uni here.

Cheers ;) (it'd only be for one year though - 3 here, 1 there).

If you guys join the EU it'd be the same price to go to uni there so the cost wouldn't be a problem then, or if it was you could always try for a grant?

And your parents aren't slightly suspicious as to why you like Amsterdam? :eek:

Fly White Guy
04-30-2005, 10:09 AM

When you get a job just don't spend your money on things you don't need.

Sunny
04-30-2005, 10:17 AM
I left Poland at the age of 18 to go to school in NYC, so I know what you mean about knowing what you want to do.. and your family thinking you're crazy...

If I were you, I'd start taking Dutch lessons ASAP. Going to college in Amsterdam is probably a really good idea.. find out what it takes to apply to a Dutch college.. the translations of your transcripts, fees, requirements, all that. As Iza said, your country will probably be in the EU by then, so it might be easier.

I don't think it's a stupid thing to do as long as you're mature about it.. like.. start learning the language.. go to school there.. etc.

Good luck ;p

{{If you guys join the EU it'd be the same price to go to uni there so the cost wouldn't be a problem then, or if it was you could always try for a grant}}

uh, the cost of living/education and salaries are VERY different all over the EU. ;[

Izie
04-30-2005, 12:31 PM
I'll do a reply to Sunnies first, directed at original psycho though ;)

If I were you, I'd start taking Dutch lessons ASAP. Going to college in Amsterdam is probably a really good idea.. find out what it takes to apply to a Dutch college.. the translations of your transcripts, fees, requirements, all that. As Iza said, your country will probably be in the EU by then, so it might be easier.

I studied Dutch for 6 months with a teacher before coming here, 3 months before that on my own... Plus I needed to pass a Dutch exam to be allowed to go to the uni, obviously, the exam wasn't that difficult, heh. The Dutch unis, as far as I know require a NT2 (if you google NT2, I'm pretty sure you'd get some good sites... probably in Dutch though :/) diploma, but I fail to remember which level :s You can always mail a uni and ask.

{{If you guys join the EU it'd be the same price to go to uni there so the cost wouldn't be a problem then, or if it was you could always try for a grant}}

uh, the cost of living/education and salaries are VERY different all over the EU. ;[

Serbia isn't a part of the EU, but I still got the same price required as any Belgian/EU student. They don't make a difference if it's not a program in English, or somehow otherwise special. At least they don't here, I'm not sure about Holland.

Reality check: I looked it up, the site of the university of Amsterdam says they DO make higher fees for non EU students... And they don't state how much higher. :/

Now, thing is, education in Holland is far more expensive than in Belgium, Bella would help you better with that I believe... See, my tuition for a year is 500€, and I don't think that's the case pretty much anywhere else in Europe. Grants are generally given to native students, but I suppose if you look hard enough you'd find something (you do have 4 years :p)

Aaand here you come.

Izie -- Yes, that's what my mom told me. That things will be different after my country joins the EU in 2007 and whatever. And I really hope that it's gonna be that way.

Thing is, you're joining the EU in 2007, but you won't be a full member yet. I don't know exactly how it goes, but all the countries that joined aren't full members yet, they're not shengen (that means no visa required), they just get visas and stuff easier, but they still do have to get em, for a few years I think. If anyone knows the real procedure, let me know, i'm too lazy to go and dig through the EU site. I'm not putting you off or anything, i'm just saying, don't expect it to go unbelievably smoothly... It never does :/ Paperworks are a bitch, in any way.

Anyway, like I said before, my mom says that it's gonna be more expensive to go to uni there and that I should just go to uni here. But if it helps more with getting a nice job, I guess that I'll just have to beg to my parents during 4 years.

Uni there is almost certainly more expensive. I don't know the prices in Romania, but the Dutch ones are... *looks up* UvA (university of Amsterdam) says 1476€ a year, but higher for non-Eu students, I said that already.

http://www.uva.nl/, if you're interested... The first part is in Dutch, but you can reach pages in english if you pick 'international students' ;)

And will it be much trouble if I'd ask about how it went when you moved to Belgium? I mean was it too hard to find a place to live? Or did you ave some relatives or friends or whatever that helped you move there? See, that's the problem with me, I'll be moving to a city without knowing anyone there and that's why I think that it's going to be kinda hard.

Anyway, thank you for your help =)

I'm sort of living with Ken here... Ken being my boyfriend, and probably the main reason for choosing Belgium... Now Ken and his family were very useful when it comes to the normal stuff - health insurance (you really need to look into that it can cost a lot from what I know), registering at the local council, general country info and stuff... So I automatically had a place to live. I don't suppose it'd have been too hard to find one otherwise either, there's a good local network of student rooms for rent (like one-room apartments, with kitchen and bathroom, or - cheaper - you share the bathroom and the kitchen with a few other people), or, even if you're lucky, you could do it through your uni - they have their own dorms, but those may be more difficult to get into.

So I can't really help you much with the being alone part, but from what I know, the Dutchies are nice people, and I'm almost sure they'd have someone helping out foreign students, it's not like they don't have any... You have time to find that out anyway ;)

Do ask if you have more questions, and I promise I'll try to type less next time :/

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 12:40 PM
NiG -- It was you?! I didn't even think that it could be you. Weird. =P
Anyway, at least it will be one year. One year with legal weed. ;p

Anyway, I don't know about that. I don't think that uni costs the same in all of the EU countries. Meh...

And no, I don't think so. Plus, I'm not going there for legal weed, I'm going there to get the fuck away from my stupid country and to live in the city I love the most. =)

Fly White Guy -- I won't. I'll spend my money on useful stuff. Like food, bills, possibly new clothes once in a while.
I'll get the electronical stuff like a laptop and a phone and an iPod and a digital camera and whatever from here, from my dad's money =P

Sunny -- Ah, so you understand that it's a bitch to convince my parents that it will be just fine and that it's not crazy at all, right? =P

Anyway, yeah, I really want to start taking dutch lessons from now. I told my mom that I want to but she told me to shut up and to stop thinking about my stupid idea. Dammit.
And I wanna go to the Holland ambasade (sp?) from here, if we have one (I don't really know =/) to find out abut college and everything that I need to get or to do or whatever, but my mom will probably say taht she won't take me there and she'll just shut me off. Dammit.

Anyway, I believe in my dream, stupid or not. =P

And thank you very much. =)

Fly White Guy
04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Fly White Guy -- I won't. I'll spend my money on useful stuff. Like food, bills, possibly new clothes once in a while.
I'll get the electronical stuff like a laptop and a phone and an iPod and a digital camera and whatever from here, from my dad's money =P

Excelent. I wouldn't be able to keep money to pay bills and stuff.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Shit, I didn't see Izie's post cause I was replying to the other one. Meh...

Anyway, I guess that I'll learn dutch pretty good in 4 years if I start from this year.
I guess that I can mail a uni. Actually, I'll check some out now. If I'll find something. =/

Oh shit. My parents are going to kiiiiiiiiiill me when I'll tell them about the fee. Well, if they'll give me, let's say, 7.000-8.000 euro for a car when I turn 18, I guess that I'll manage with that amount of money for the fee for all of the years I'm going to study there, right?

And, dammit. At least it will be good to get visas easier.
Oh well, I didn't expect it to be smooth either. Ah, I guess that I'll get over it somehow. I believe that I can do it =P
Dammit, I'm just a 14 year old girl who is supposed to think about school and boys and instead I'm thinking 4 years ahead about moving to another country and about paperwork. Weeeird.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, how many years do I have to stay there with visas until I get citizenship (sp?)?

And thanks for the site, it's a bit more helpful.
So... I'm thinking now that 8.000 euro will be fine. At least for paying the fee.
Or so I hope =/

Oh well, I guess that I'll just stay ina student room with rent. I was thinking about that anyway.
Ooor, I hope that I'll be able to stay in a dorm. But I bet that it won't happen. Meh...

Anyway, thank yooou very much for your help. =)

*Damn that took long. I should learn to type faster =/

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Excelent. I wouldn't be able to keep money to pay bills and stuff.
I don't think that I will be able. But at least I'll try. I'll always be able to ask my parents for extra money if I'll need help, I guess =P

Fly White Guy
04-30-2005, 01:05 PM
You'll probably be able to if you have the will to do it. Just keep in mind what you want to do, and what you need that money for.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Yes, maybe. Ah, I've finally found a purpose to my life and I'm very fucking happy. I don't wanna screw that over.

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh shit. My parents are going to kiiiiiiiiiill me when I'll tell them about the fee. Well, if they'll give me, let's say, 7.000-8.000 euro for a car when I turn 18, I guess that I'll manage with that amount of money for the fee for all of the years I'm going to study there, right?

You'd manage for the fee, but if you ask me, staying there (food + housing + a billion of other expences you're not even considering) can cost more than the tuition... It's that way here (student houses, those where you share a bathroom and a kitchen are 250€/month in Antwerp, I can only imagine it being more expensive in Amsterdam... And that's just housing... Conclusion - start saving money ;))

Oh well, I didn't expect it to be smooth either. Ah, I guess that I'll get over it somehow. I believe that I can do it =P

No one said it was impossible, and as long a you think you can do it, you most likely can ;)

Dammit, I'm just a 14 year old girl who is supposed to think about school and boys and instead I'm thinking 4 years ahead about moving to another country and about paperwork. Weeeird.

You're not THAT strange, believe me. I was 12 when I decided I wanna leave, I just had no plan. At least you do ;)

Oh, and I forgot to ask, how many years do I have to stay there with visas until I get citizenship (sp?)?

That's unknown, because the EU is working on some guidelines and stuff right now... I could find you the number now, but it's very likely to change some time soon. But it can't be little...

Oh well, I guess that I'll just stay ina student room with rent. I was thinking about that anyway.
Ooor, I hope that I'll be able to stay in a dorm. But I bet that it won't happen. Meh...

The student houses, the ones with rent, are just more expensive and smaller versions of dorms... Not that much different.

And no problem ;)

Btw, if you're gonna look for a Dutch embassy, I'd suggest you do it through their government site - foreign ministry - embassies in other countries (this is just a guess, butmost countries have it organized that way, so the Dutchies should too ;))

Sergeant Spliff
04-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Prospective students
The Universiteit van Amsterdam offers 62 bachelor's programmes taught in Dutch and over 100 international study programmes taught in English, as well as a range of exchange courses.

Prospective students can find information regarding these study programmes, fees, facilities, and student life on www.uva.nl/studying.

You wouldn't even need to learn Dutch!

Tuition fees vary per programme from approximately
€1,500 to €21,000 per year.

For some degree programmes a reduced tuition fee of approximately applies to students from the European Economic Area (EEA) / European Union (EU). This is the case for programmes that are part of the regular Dutch higher education system and are financed by the Dutch government. If this reduced fee applies, it is stated in the description of the programme. For 2005-2006, these fees are:

• EU/EEA students younger than 30: €1,496 per year
• EU/EEA students 30 years and older: €1,795 per year

psh! that's rather a lot at the higher end of the scale (although that's for the science courses of course). What you thinking of studying?

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:18 PM
You'd manage for the fee, but if you ask me, staying there (food + housing + a billion of other expences you're not even considering) can cost more than the tuition... It's that way here (student houses, those where you share a bathroom and a kitchen are 250€/month in Antwerp, I can only imagine it being more expensive in Amsterdam... And that's just housing... Conclusion - start saving money ;))
Oh my... There goes my plan of buying a digital camera, a phone and a laptop... Daaaaaaaaaaamn.
Oh well, I'll survive without those stuff. Moving to Amsterdam is the most important thing to me right now.

No one said it was impossible, and as long a you think you can do it, you most likely can ;)
Well, I hope that I can. If my parents are willing to help me and to support me, I guess that it will be easier. I hope.

You're not THAT strange, believe me. I was 12 when I decided I wanna leave, I just had no plan. At least you do ;)
At 12 I decided that I want to move to America. But after I visited Amsterdam last summer, it became my favourite city in the world. I just love it there. That's why I choce to move there. Meh...

That's unknown, because the EU is working on some guidelines and stuff right now... I could find you the number now, but it's very likely to change some time soon. But it can't be little...
Well, my mom said that it might be around 5 years. Or maybe more. Well, I know that in Canada it's 7 years. But it's probably different there.

The student houses, the ones with rent, are just more expensive and smaller versions of dorms... Not that much different.
Oh, I see. Well, then I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a dorm cause I don't really wanna face the problem of being broke =/

And no problem ;)

Btw, if you're gonna look for a Dutch embassy, I'd suggest you do it through their government site - foreign ministry - embassies in other countries (this is just a guess, butmost countries have it organized that way, so the Dutchies should too ;))
Okay, thank you again. I'll be sure to do that.

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:18 PM

Those are the masters... Bachelors are in Dutch...

Obtaining a bachelor's degree at the UvA
At undergraduate level, all bachelor’s programmes – with the exception of one English taught BSc programme in Economics and Business – are offered in Dutch. Even if part of the study programmes may be in English or may use English literature, obtaining a bachelor’s degree at the UvA means enrolling in a study programme taught in Dutch. International students are therefore required to pass a proficiency examination in Dutch before admission.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Well, that would be much easier for me!

psh! that's rather a lot at the higher end of the scale (although that's for the science courses of course). What you thinking of studying?
I have no idea. Really. That's my problem. I have no idea.
Something related to computers maybe.

Sergeant Spliff
04-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, that would be much easier for me!

I have no idea. Really. That's my problem. I have no idea.
Something related to computers maybe.

have a look at the university website. you could always study in lovely England! :p

Computers wouldn't be that much then - science degrees are the expensive ones.

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, I hope that I can. If my parents are willing to help me and to support me, I guess that it will be easier. I hope.

Yeah, parents mean a lot in the whole story, try to get them on your side ;)

Well, my mom said that it might be around 5 years. Or maybe more. Well, I know that in Canada it's 7 years. But it's probably different there.

I'd say the same about the EU, but I'm not sure...

Oh, I see. Well, then I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a dorm cause I don't really wanna face the problem of being broke =/

Here, dorms are usually reserved for the students on grants - meaning the ones who can't pay it on their own (and are obviously Belgian, since they're getting a grant), and I also think for exchange students, but I'm not sure of that. I think that if you start it in time you can make it though ;)

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM
have a look at the university website. you could always study in lovely England! :p

Computers wouldn't be that much then - science degrees are the expensive ones.
Trust me, I would study in England. But as long as studying in Holland/Amsterdam will make it easier for me to get a job, I'll just have to do it.

Yeah, parents mean a lot in the whole story, try to get them on your side ;)
That will probably mean that I'll have to study more to get into highschool.
Dammit, why does everything have to be related to school?! Oh well...

I'd say the same about the EU, but I'm not sure...
Well, paperwork will be a bitch. With the visas and all. Damn...

Here, dorms are usually reserved for the students on grants - meaning the ones who can't pay it on their own (and are obviously Belgian, since they're getting a grant), and I also think for exchange students, but I'm not sure of that. I think that if you start it in time you can make it though ;)
Oh well, I'll just have to start saving any penny I get, then.
Oh well, I will survive =P

DirtyMagical
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM
To psycho:

I don't think you're crazy. In fact I fully agree with the desire to move far from where you grew up, and start over. I was actually just thinking about that a bit ago. Go for it.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:35 PM
DirtyMagical -- Thank you. I really hope that I can pull it off. Oh well, I still have 4 years to prepare. =P
Anyway, good luck to you, if you decide do move away and start over. =)

DirtyMagical
04-30-2005, 01:37 PM
DirtyMagical -- Thank you. I really hope that I can pull it off. Oh well, I still have 4 years to prepare. =P
Anyway, good luck to you, if you decide do move away and start over. =)

Thanks))
Heh, It would take me longer to decide if it was simply my decision. But I was just literally told to go away and never come back, so I got something pushing me to move on. heh.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Aw, I guess that it sucks to be told to go away. But then again, a new life in another place seems just perfect.
Well, to me anyway =P

Noodles is gay
04-30-2005, 01:43 PM
http://www.thesunmachine.net/image_archive/archive/oct03/mister_bean_pope.jpg

Jimbob2005
04-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I can't wait to have my own life and be free at University without my fucking parents complaining at me and constantly on my back about how I live my life. Sweet :D

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:46 PM
^ Well, good luck anyway.

http://www.thesunmachine.net/image_archive/archive/oct03/mister_bean_pope.jpg
Mr. Bean! Oh my god, I used to love this guy when I was a kid! He was so funny! =D

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Trust me, I would study in England. But as long as studying in Holland/Amsterdam will make it easier for me to get a job, I'll just have to do it.

England is even more expensive... Or so I've heard.

That will probably mean that I'll have to study more to get into highschool.
Dammit, why does everything have to be related to school?! Oh well...

Because of your parents prolly ;)

Well, paperwork will be a bitch. With the visas and all. Damn...

That depends really... My wasn't THAT much of a bitch. A bit complicated, yes, but not THAT scary. And we're not very likely to get EU visas...

Jimbob2005
04-30-2005, 01:47 PM
^ Well, good luck anyway.

Thank you, you too.

It is quite expensive for example, for games and movies, it is dear and we get it the worst. University Tuition Fees are high, but that is no thanks to Tony Blair. Yup, the prices of stuff here sucks.

Noodles is gay
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM

nah; tis about the same for international students (going up for English people though, bloody Labour :mad: bloody top-up fees), plus she wouldn't have to learn Dutch.

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I was thinking about that too, but I wasn't sure so I decided to say nothing related to that.
But I would mostly study there for the classes in english. I would just suck at dutch. I'm sure of it. Meh...

Because of your parents prolly ;)
And I hate them for that. Grr.

That depends really... My wasn't THAT much of a bitch. A bit complicated, yes, but not THAT scary. And we're not very likely to get EU visas...
Then, I shouldn't be so scared of them. But I hate paperwork. Any kind. I hate it even when I have to fill out contracts or whatever to go to trips putside the country.
Oh, if things were easier. *dreams* Oh well...

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Fees may be the same, but life should be more expensive...

Nothing wrong with learning another language anyway ;)

This was for NiG btw...

Izie
04-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I was thinking about that too, but I wasn't sure so I decided to say nothing related to that.
But I would mostly study there for the classes in english. I would just suck at dutch. I'm sure of it. Meh...

It all depends on how much you study it... I'm sure you'd manage just fine.

Then, I shouldn't be so scared of them. But I hate paperwork. Any kind. I hate it even when I have to fill out contracts or whatever to go to trips putside the country.
Oh, if things were easier. *dreams* Oh well...

Paperwork is a bitch, but you'd better get used to it, student life (and especially the life of a foreign student) is full of it ;)

Camilamazed
04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I would do that. It must have been said before but go ahead and do what you feel like doing.
I feel like doing something like that too.I wanna backpack and travel to anywhere else.I guess I need to spend some time all alone and get my thoughts straight. I'm almost 25 and still don't know what is my life like.... :D

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
^ Well, go ahead and do it. No one's stopping you. Anyway, if you decide on what to do, good luck =)

It all depends on how much you study it... I'm sure you'd manage just fine.
Well, if I start from this year and study it for 4 years or more, I guess that I'll manage, right?

Paperwork is a bitch, but you'd better get used to it, student life (and especially the life of a foreign student) is full of it ;)
And I should overcome my tendancy of being absent minded. That could be a bitch. Especially with paperwork and also in a foreign country where I don't know anything, nor anyone =/

Izie
04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, if I start from this year and study it for 4 years or more, I guess that I'll manage, right?

Pretty much without a problem, I'd say. I managed with 9 months, so you go figure.

And I should overcome my tendancy of being absent minded. That could be a bitch. Especially with paperwork and also in a foreign country where I don't know anything, nor anyone =/

You'll get to know people and stuff, and they're very helpful when it comes to paperwork and stuff... The lady at my... inschrijving would be... registration, yes, had so much probs with even their own students, it's unbelievable. I was all prepared though, hahaha, because I couldn't afford it to go wrong... But the point is, almost everyone sucks with paperwork, it's just a matter of getting used to it, I wouldn't worry too much ;)

Randomly, you could try and meet people from Amsterdam, there's like, net communities, or pen-paling, or whatever... Lame idea, I know, but it might help you ;)

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Pretty much without a problem, I'd say. I managed with 9 months, so you go figure.
Ah, then it will be good. Now all I have to find is a good dutch teacher. I hope that I could find one.

You'll get to know people and stuff, and they're very helpful when it comes to paperwork and stuff... The lady at my... inschrijving would be... registration, yes, had so much probs with even their own students, it's unbelievable. I was all prepared though, hahaha, because I couldn't afford it to go wrong... But the point is, almost everyone sucks with paperwork, it's just a matter of getting used to it, I wouldn't worry too much ;)
Oh, I really hope that nothing will go wrong. Cause it will be a first =P
I always get something wrong and I'm just hoping that this will be the first time I'll do something perfect and right.
Oh well, I'll get used to doing paperwork, eventually.

Randomly, you could try and meet people from Amsterdam, there's like, net communities, or pen-paling, or whatever... Lame idea, I know, but it might help you ;)
I guess that I could try that. Oooor... I don't know. But it could be helpful though... Ah, I'll think about it.

Betty
04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think it's crazy. Your parents may not be as supportive because you are young. I know when I was 14 I still had no idea what I wanted to do. But if you do know what you want to do and you actually stick with your goals and work towards it, your parents might be a lot more supportive in a couple years. Like, if you learn Dutch (even on your own) and get a job and actually save money from it, and show ambition and progress, I'd imagine they will be more willing to help. That's unless they just suck, but hopefully that's not the case.

Izie
04-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Ah, then it will be good. Now all I have to find is a good dutch teacher. I hope that I could find one.

I went to the faculty of languages in Bg, luckily they had a site with all the emails of all the teachers, so I emailed some of the assistants asking if they gave lessons/knew someone who does. One of them replied, and I had lessons with her :) She was really nice too :)

Oh, I really hope that nothing will go wrong. Cause it will be a first =P
I always get something wrong and I'm just hoping that this will be the first time I'll do something perfect and right.
Oh well, I'll get used to doing paperwork, eventually.

If you do enough research and preparing, it will go right, don't worry that much!

I guess that I could try that. Oooor... I don't know. But it could be helpful though... Ah, I'll think about it.

You have time, you don't have to make all your decisions tonight :p

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't think it's crazy. Your parents may not be as supportive because you are young. I know when I was 14 I still had no idea what I wanted to do. But if you do know what you want to do and you actually stick with your goals and work towards it, your parents might be a lot more supportive in a couple years. Like, if you learn Dutch (even on your own) and get a job and actually save money from it, and show ambition and progress, I'd imagine they will be more willing to help. That's unless they just suck, but hopefully that's not the case.
Well, my mom is frustrated that she didn' get to move out of the country when she was young and I guess that she'll support me cause she also thinks that living in my country is/will be a bitch. She doesn't like it that I decided to move in a country with legal weed. =/
And my dad... Well, my dad supports me in almost anything. I just hope that he will support me this time too. And I bet that it will be the weed problem too with him. Meh...

I went to the faculty of languages in Bg, luckily they had a site with all the emails of all the teachers, so I emailed some of the assistants asking if they gave lessons/knew someone who does. One of them replied, and I had lessons with her :) She was really nice too :)
Ah, then I should probably do the same. Maybe I'll get lucky =)

If you do enough research and preparing, it will go right, don't worry that much!
Yes, I know, I know. I'm just too damn excited! =/

You have time, you don't have to make all your decisions tonight :p
Like I said, I'm too excited about it =P

Izie
04-30-2005, 02:31 PM
hehe, it's ok to be excited :)

If you wanna talk more or anything, you can add meon MSN or whatever you use :)

original_psycho
04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Okay, I'll add you to MSN cause I use it more.
But I'm going to bed now cause I'm kinda sleepy.
Well, nice taklking to you and thanks for helping me =)
Good night.

original_psycho
05-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Okay, I need to bump this cause I really need some help from someone who actually lives in Amsterdam or Holland. Sorry. =/