PDA

View Full Version : What's your religion?

lousyskater
11-03-2004, 05:32 AM
i noticed there is nothing on this board that has to do with religion. so to get a perspective of what religion offspring fans tend to be, i have started this thread.
i'll go first. i am an atheist.
________
CrimsonDivine (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/CrimsonDivine)

wliethof
11-03-2004, 05:35 AM
I don't bother with religion.

Kitten
11-03-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm a Pagan.

Tijs
11-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Muslim....

RXP
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Religon is gay and god should eat a dick.

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 07:05 AM
i am an atheist.

That is irrelevant then. The question is 'what's your religion?' and Atheism is certainly not a religion.

samr
11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
I am a morman

MindlessSelfIndulgent
11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Im a christian.

Goki
11-03-2004, 07:26 AM
none. I'm agnostic.

Obie2trice
11-03-2004, 07:30 AM
no belief here, and you ain`t a muslim Tijs

samr
11-03-2004, 07:31 AM
dats sum rasist shiit rite thurr!!

lousyskater
11-03-2004, 07:34 AM
That is irrelevant then. The question is 'what's your religion?' and Atheism is certainly not a religion.
what is your definition of "religion" then?
why is it irrelivent? atheism is the belief of the non-existance of god. it has evertything to do with religion.
________
bald pussy Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/shaved/)

Nina
11-03-2004, 07:40 AM
no it doesnt.
nihilism is not a religion either.
..just wanted to throw this in :D

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Atheism is the rejection of the existence of God. Often by means of material and empirical (as in looking at the evidence by investigation) data. It has nothing to do with belief.

A religion to me is a set of beliefs based in the metaphysical (matters that cannot be verified by science) category. Different religions appeared in different epochs etc. I can go into more detail if you wish.

Phate
11-03-2004, 07:47 AM
LaVey-Satanist.

Fallen.
11-03-2004, 07:51 AM
i was waiting for the Wiccas to come away from painting black lipstick on themselves and pretending to be bisexual to come and yet again remind us.

atheists are not a religion. could you say it was an ideology...? i think so.

i was raised a catholic. im not anything right now.

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 07:53 AM
I would not call atheism an ideology. It is basically just the denial of the existence of God. There isn't much more meat you can add to d'em bones.

Atheism could be called a form of materialism. But that does not apply to all atheists, as the starter of this topic claims to "believe in atheism." For example.

Fallen.
11-03-2004, 07:54 AM
if you deny the existence of God then you will operate your life as an atheist tto the conventions there is no god. this way of thinking has an impact on your choices. seems like an ideology.

Bazza
11-03-2004, 08:00 AM
no religion, it makes no sense and is a load of contrived nonesense

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 08:32 AM
No, because a lack of belief in God will not affect the vast majority of decisions you make.

RXP
11-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I disagree. Your belief not in god is huge. When a death occurs for example you believe that the person is stone cold dead. No afterlife where you'll see them again. This is a lot harder to deal with. And i could list countless other examples but won't.

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Unless you know a lot of dying people, it won't matter particularly much. Not compared to other ideologies which are more coherent philosophies for example.

RXP
11-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Death effects everyone at some point in their lives HUGELY. And if you believe in god or not is a big deal in this part of your life which in turn is therefore a big deal in the rest of your life.

It's also a lot harder in hard times to know that you're completely alone when you don't have people. If you believe in God you have god by you all the time. So there's another way it effects your everyday life. Well mine anyway.

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I never said death doesn't affect a person. I am saying that it doesn't have a constant effect on one's choice's. (of course there is a period of mourning etc.)

And it certainly doesn't affect one's choices the way a real ideologie would, which would be based on a system of logic.

x_necrophiliac_x
11-03-2004, 09:31 AM
agnostic..

lousyskater
11-03-2004, 09:35 AM
i should have been clearer on the topic of this thread then.
________
Group live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/straight-couples/)

Lager_Lolly
11-03-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm a fully paid up member of the church of whogivesaflyingfuck :cool:

we tend to worship pizzas and chocolate muffins.....

ThrashedThrasher
11-03-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't have one yay! I think religion and all things related to religion is pointless.

Vera
11-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Churchless here.

the_GoDdEsS
11-03-2004, 03:04 PM
An attempt at being Roman Catholic between my 10th and 18th year of life. Never really went to church every Sunday like they though. Was an attempt.
Now I just don't want to have anything to do with organized religion.

Betty
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Raised catholic. Pretty much gave up on that 4-5 years ago. I consider myself agnostic. I think in the same that there is no "proof" of god, there's no "proof" that there's no god. So who am I to say?

anon
11-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Hm. When I was younger I believed I was an atheist, but then I realised that I dont have anything against religions. So now I say I dont believe in God, but I'm not a complete atheist in the way of hating religions and refusing the existance in god (i still dont believe in god, but i accept that some do believe...)

The biggest change is that i realized that I shouldnt hate religions, coz theres nothing bad with religions. Religions are good. People are bad, who ruined the religions.

All churches should be burnt
(hm. You may misunderstand this: SO i dont mean churches as buildings, but churches as associations. Like why do we need christian church? People could believe in god without all the fancy stuff done by the priests, not?)

Zs

nirvana
11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
im a christian :D

Layna
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Catholic. :)

laughitup15
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
im a christian

wheelchairman
11-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Hm. When I was younger I believed I was an atheist, but then I realised that I dont have anything against religions. So now I say I dont believe in God, but I'm not a complete atheist in the way of hating religions and refusing the existance in god (i still dont believe in god, but i accept that some do believe...)

The biggest change is that i realized that I shouldnt hate religions, coz theres nothing bad with religions. Religions are good. People are bad, who ruined the religions.

All churches should be burnt
(hm. You may misunderstand this: SO i dont mean churches as buildings, but churches as associations. Like why do we need christian church? People could believe in god without all the fancy stuff done by the priests, not?)

Zs
1. Atheism is not about hating religion.

2. On your hypothesis that religions are good, people are bad. I disagree, it's the nature of religion in society to be distorted and abused by the ruling class. And it's the nature of the believers to need religion when their material conditions are so, that they need something to reassure them that it'll all be in their favor one day. It's the great pacifyer. Religion has also been used to pacify the masses and tell them not to fight against what oppresses. This is referring to the whole "turn the other" cheek Jesus speech. However there are things like Liberation Theology (most famous for the picture of Jesus with a shotgun) which is truly revolutionary. And is a religion which probably could never be abused by the ruling class.

3. Religions need priests and traditions, because this is part of what gives them their credibility to the believer. If you don't have the oldest most old-school religion, well then there is a religion out there that existed before yours did.

And of course for that last part I am not ignoring the fact that Christianity is an offshoot of judaism, and that Islam is an offshoot of Christianity.

anon
11-04-2004, 12:16 AM
1. Hardcore atheism is about hating all religions. I've heard of atheist theories that were closer to anarchist ones :)

2. Hm . You're right, religion is used to pacify the crowd with telling them "cool down, you'll be happy in the afterlife" . But I didnt spoke of that part. Religion, as believing in god and following morals (whatever morals they are. Different in muslim/christian/buddhist/whatever. Morals may be completely different). Thats a good part. The problem is if Priests tell me how to behave, just because they think so... If one wants to believe in god, priests should not tell him how to do that. Everyone should find his own way to believe.

Zs

RXP
11-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Let me tell you a secret, something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be more lovely than you are now. We will never be here again.

HornyPope
11-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Where did you get the last paragraph from, RXP? Sounds very familiar.

edit: googled the phrase. i realized i heard it from troy... but who did they steal it from? hmm

anon
11-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Now thats a unique point of view.... :>

Has a point tho.

Keep on rxp!

Zs

RXP
11-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I saw Troy again yesterday. And the first time round at the cinema I was amazed at the look of it and the fight scenes (and the ripped manly men).

But I saw it again yesterday and my oh my that film is amazing. The quote in my sig is from that. Rarely a film makes me consider life or motivates me. Born on 4th of July was the last one that effected me as much as Troy has.

Not Ozymandias
11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
None of the above.

Xians should be ridden like animals. Muslims and Jews should be raced like greyhounds.

Jewel_Blue_Ibanez
11-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm what one would call a Christmas and Easter Catholic. I get the two major holy days of obligation in each year. Anything extra is used towards credits.

punk_flamingo
11-04-2004, 07:48 PM
i dont really have a religion, its sort of like an enhanced personal religion. Wherein I take different parts of every other religion and bang them together. I like christmas though...oh adn I believe that we go somewhere after we die, but not necessarily a heaven or a better place - possibly an alternate universe where we live the same life over and over again until we get it right...hence the feelings of deja vu we get.

It makes no sense whatsoever, but since when did religion make sense ;)

nieh
11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
I was raised Protestant but I wouldn't say I am now. I believe in God. No matter how far back you go with science in terms of the big bang and stuff, something had to put that little speck there for it to explode. The rules of the universe show that something like that can't come from nothing which makes me feel that something put it there (unless there's other rules that I'm missing?). I believe in some sort of soul and afterlife, but I don't know what exactly. I don't believe any religion has ever gotten it entirely right, but I do believe there's something a bit bigger out there.

RXP
11-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Jews should be raced like greyhounds.

Including the guy in your avatar?

SicN Twisted
11-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I used to be an atheist. Then, for awhile, I was a Christian - not conventional Christian, existenialist Christian. That was followed by a brief poser Budhist faze, then a pretty long lasting phaze of Rastafari. Now I'm a deist, which is the same as nieh's beliefs except a bit more vague. I do belief that greater power exists, but it's not all knowing or all ruling, it's just their and mildly influential. I'm not sure though, so I guess I'm an agnostic.

JoY
11-05-2004, 05:25 AM
I don't understand why Christians can mostly get along with other religions just fine & Muslims just are about as intolerable as can be. why would you want to believe in the book that is mean?? just fucking switch, man.

I'm supposed to be Christian, I used to be an atheist - accepting everyone's personal believes, but staying personally as far away from religion as possible - but actually I became more of a deist over the years. there -could- be something & there probably is from where I'm sitting, but I don't need a big book of fairy tails with that thank you. I just believe there's something out there, because it's comforting, soothing & easy. & that's probably the main reason for religion in the first place. at least I'm honest.

& I've seen spooky, pleasant, irrational things happen.

plus the fact, that every time I steal something, I lose something else. "thou shall not steal" has been taught to me quite well, either through the hand of a greater force, or through very strange twists of coincedence.
but let's not discuss stealing.

JoY
11-05-2004, 05:28 AM
I don't know if I'm supposed to like, or dislike the fact, that my story just had so much in common with that of Sic.
hmm.

I mostly believe in myself anyway. :p

(that didn't help..)

Intermission
11-05-2004, 07:21 AM
r there anyone here who's an muslim?
who can tell me the thoghts of ur religion?
i don't get it, i like to hear it from a muslim, otherwize i never get it!
it would be good if u really live up to ur religion to.
i know a lot about islam but i just can't get it!
i don't belive in anything myself......atleast i don't think so....
plz?

Subsidal
11-05-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm a Protestant :D

vnzla_sh4dow
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
i dont really have a religion, its sort of like an enhanced personal religion. Wherein I take different parts of every other religion and bang them together. I like christmas though...oh adn I believe that we go somewhere after we die, but not necessarily a heaven or a better place - possibly an alternate universe where we live the same life over and over again until we get it right...hence the feelings of deja vu we get.

It makes no sense whatsoever, but since when did religion make sense ;)

Im like you, i dont really belong to a religion but i take different things from others and i choose to believe what i want to believe! :cool: :cool:

And yeah religion had never made any sense...

I'veGoneAway
11-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Protestant

greencows12
11-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Catholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
11-29-2004, 07:02 AM
technically a catholic...but i don't really care what religion i am. I think spiritual growth is personal, religion is just the medium. it doesn't matter which religion you belong to, as long as you like yourself

DirtyMagical
11-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Russian Orthodox Christian

Anya82
11-29-2004, 09:46 AM
catholic...

janissary
11-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm a Muslim

r there anyone here who's an muslim?
who can tell me the thoghts of ur religion?
i don't get it, i like to hear it from a muslim, otherwize i never get it!
it would be good if u really live up to ur religion to.
i know a lot about islam but i just can't get it!
i don't belive in anything myself......atleast i don't think so....
plz?

yeah, I can tell anything you want. But you're just asking in general if you can be more specific I can offer a lot of info.

And of course for that last part I am not ignoring the fact that Christianity is an offshoot of judaism, and that Islam is an offshoot of Christianity.

I'm sure, most of you think like that, "why god is sending/creating different religions, that's totally crap"
wheelchairman get the point a little bit;
According to Islam, Allah is the god of the Jews and the Christians--indeed, many Jewish and Christian figures are considered Islamic prophets , such as Abraham , David , and Jesus --but Mohammed is the final prophet, who managed to bring to humanity the complete and true understanding of Allah.
so judaism, christianity and islam all of them are the same religion. That's way calling Christianity and Islam as an offshot should be wrong.

about differences;
Have you ever heard of "Iznik Council"? (AKA known as "Constantinople Council")

The two important Councils which gave a direction to the history of Christianity were gathered in Iznik in A.D. 325 and A.D. 381. The "Iznik" Council which was convened by the Roman Emperor Constantius to remove the differences among Christians, became the first important step for officially Christianizing the Roman Empire. During the Iznik Council which was gathered for the second time in A.D. 381, the Orthodoxy was accepted as the official religion of the Eastern Roman Empire.
but in the name of remove differences among christians, emperor constantius (he was very powerful in these years. in AD 324 he defeated his rival "likinyus" and became the most powerful man in the holy roman empire, he declares that Istanbul is going to be the capital of his empire and he called Istanbul as "Constantinople" ("The city of Constantius") ) anyway I just wanna tell how powerful is he. Back to the topic then,
he just created his own religion, and uses Christianity as a political weapon for himself.
Then this council created the most popular 6 Bibles...

Fortunately, Qur'an never had councils like that...

err... I think I spoke a lot... If you have Questions just ask them

but be polite and take no offense

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 01:18 PM
I meant no offense with offshoot. That is how I have understood it, I merely meant that which you said.

Now I cannot say I am an expert, so I will tell you just what I have read about Islam and let you correct me if I am wrong.

You say that Islam never had any councils. That is true, Constantine was quite the political genius in that way. Abuse of the Christian religion for power purposes started before that. After the Crucifixition and Resurrection there was never meant to be priests, this is a thing Christians have kept from Judaism as a method of guiding and holding power.

Islam was always meant to be a state force, was Mohammed not a Politician and a Warrior? He lead his state. From everything I've read Islam and the Qu'ran were meant to guide the state and be the basis of state practice.

I wonder, do you think Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia is a pure form of Islam applied in a stately manner through the Royal House of Saud? Do you think the Ayatollahs of Iran and the Majlis interpret Shari'a law correctly in practice?

I am not expecting one answer or another from you, I would like to hear your opinions.

janissary
11-29-2004, 01:51 PM
you're definitely right, comrade

I don't go on a world tour like dexter but I can say we're living the true Islam in Turkey, different from the rest of the world.

I like to point out sth. I said "Qur'an never had councils like that" above, but that doesn't mean Islam never had. Those guys in Arab countries is trying to do what Constantine did. Their ppl suffering, but they just don't care. Islam is a kind of tool for them. They ignore modern world, they ignore science, sports.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Hmm is this so. I have heard problems with many political prisoners in Turkey. What is your opinion on them?

And thank you for clearing things up.

DUKESTER76
11-29-2004, 02:25 PM
i hear jesus and satan be kicking it together, heres a pic that proves it. hahaha
http://tinypic.com/p6bnl

janissary
11-29-2004, 02:38 PM
First of all I like to mention that "Rebuplic of Turkey" based on secularism. Religious affairs and Civil affairs are separated. Do you know that Turkey is the only country in which religious leaders cannot take part in weddings.
So, this political prisoners has nothing to do with Islam, but I'm gonna explain the situation for you.

In 60's USA started to put their nose into our business (like they did anywhere in the world) . I think you know the cold war years better then me .USA created fake right and left wings , brainwashing them by giving scholarships to them in USA. During 70's the situation get worser, hundreds of students dead just for their political views. I don't wanna enter the depths of that but this what it looks like from the top. So to avoid this military take control and imprison political leaders for a period of time .

And there's no political prisoners in Turkey nowadays!

bd007h
11-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm catholic, but I don't really pay much attention in church, even though my parents force me to go every sunday.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 02:52 PM
oh I know Turkey is not an Islamic state. In fact I do really like that about Atatürk. But you said it was a real Islamic society. I was wondering how you disconnected these two things?

Political Prisoners in Turkey:
http://web.amnesty.org/report2003/tur-summary-eng

http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/turkey/prison.htm

Have these problems been cleared up then?

janissary
11-30-2004, 02:51 AM
yeah they're all cleaned up. (our minister was a prisoner for his speech againts Rebuplic and Atatürk, now he's prime minister) (he's trying to sell the country to EU, dickhead!!!)(EU sux by the way)
and I like to mention sth. there's no dead penalty in Turkey. It has removed form our laws 2-3 years ago I think, and before removing it I don't remember if it's used may be I'm too young for that days.

and Death penalty is forbidden according to Qur'an...

and I'm saying again these are NOT connected with Islam.
we have our own constitution unlike arab countries which are using qur'an to make laws.

and even Turkey can't became the ideal, real Islam society, there are a lot of wrong things for me.
for example a lot of people here pray in arabic cuz the qur'an was arabic in originally. The best thing is pray in own your language, read qur'an in your very own language.

If you take a visit to Turkey you'll see things are different from the rest of the world (both west and east).

KuRt_CoBaiN
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
What the Fuck? Turkey isnt Islamic Republic

I dont have a religion.But my parents Muslim and my bro atheist

Sin Studly
11-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I was going to argue that athiesm is indeed a religion, until so many tards replies made me give up reading after the 6th or 7th post. Fuck you all.

JoY
11-21-2005, 03:20 AM
oh no, not another religionphobics convention. *slaps forehead*

adRi
11-21-2005, 06:03 AM

atheism is a religion.
eberybody needs a religion, because all of us need to believe in something.
Atheists believe in nothing, they think they are the ones who know the truth. So it's a religion too :)

We need to feel that we're special, that nobody is like us, and there is something which tells us what will happen after our death (or something like that xD)

pd: I'm a catholic

JoY
11-21-2005, 06:09 AM
We need to feel that we're special, that nobody is like us, and there is something which tells us what will happen after our death (or something like that xD)

I agree with you on the first point of atheism being a religion. not going any further into that, because it's obvious why I'd think that & it's already been said.

your second point (the one quoted) looks a bit out of place in this topic, though I can see where you're coming from. I've been wondering about the same thing lately & it seems true. most of us are somehow terrified of not being remembered, even if we deny it. we all (generalising) would like to make somewhat of a difference some day, so we won't fade away & dissolve into nothing. like we want to be known & remembered in the mortal world, in case immortality doesn't exist. like some weird kind of back-up.

Sin Studly
11-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm agnostic, so how does your shit work against me?

adRi
11-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Yes, it's uot of topic... sorry :(

but that's what I think... because many peolpe say that they haven't got a religion, and they have one, pherhaps the one which refuses to believe in something... I don't know if you understand what I wanna say...

Sin Studly
11-21-2005, 06:22 AM
.... Francisco Franco was a hero.

Aimeht
11-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Religion sucks.
Can you saaay 'brainwashing'?
Brainwashing!

Sin Studly
11-21-2005, 06:46 AM
And what's wrong with brainwashing? If it weren't for people being afraid of Hell, both of us would have had our throats slit by now. Be thankful to Christ for brainwashing people.

JoY
11-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Religion sucks.
Can you saaay 'brainwashing'?
Brainwashing!
so.. people who choose to believe there's a God.. are brainwashed, or brainwash?? sorry, I don't get it.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-21-2005, 07:00 AM
I don't really follow one, but I do believe in god and hell.

Taime13
11-21-2005, 07:27 AM
my school sent me home with this thing to fill so they have their records up to date, and for religion i put jedi.

havent heard anything back

when i put satanist they sent it back.

Italia311
11-21-2005, 07:33 AM
I was raised Catholic, but I kind of do my own thing now. Used to go to church till the priest turned his back on the community.

And plz, Athiests DO hate on religions. I have 2 years worth of Philosophy class debates to back that one up.

What I don't get is why certain people have to bring up religion. My housemate always has something to say, something ignorant to say. I think people who are like that are just insecure about the decision they have made, so they have to constantly talk about it and bash Religion or God to remind themselves they're making the right decision. Thats pretty weak if you ask me.

I've made my decision, I don't need to start arguments to express my own ideas on to someone else to get approval.

"ya, ya what I said is right, no way there is a god, I just said all that stuff, how can it be true..."

"oh uh wait...maybe not, omg...what am I going to do!! I gotta go make fun of someone for what they believe!!!"

"ahhh thats better"

JoY
11-21-2005, 07:44 AM
philosophy never gives a conclusive answer.

Italia311
11-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Philosophy class is full of a bunch of closed minded people. They think they're so smart but can't even think past themselves.

:eek:

Vera
11-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Depends on the Philosophy class, I guess.

JoY
11-21-2005, 07:50 AM
mine had a bunch of people that thought they had all the answers.

& people talk about it, because they're interested in your ideas/opinions/beliefs?

Punky Dudess
11-21-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm a Roman Catholic but i don't believe in hardly anything they say we should.
eg: natural means of contraception.

Italia311
11-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Depends on the Philosophy class, I guess.

The first one I took, I can't remember the name but we discussed all the philosophers pretty much. St.Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas were the most heated of arguments.

@Joy: that was this class ^

The other 2 were like ethics and moral reasoning...those were "ok". Most notable arguments once we hit abortions and euthenasia of course...

boo hoo...

Vera
11-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't understand what you're complaining about, exactly. What did you want your Philosophy classes to be like?

Italia311
11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I liked the topics. I was just replying back to someone who said athiests don't bash religions...

Anyways, who give a shit really...

Nirushika6789
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm A Catholic