PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea tests missile

nieh
05-01-2005, 09:02 AM
U.S.: N. Korea apparently tests missile

Sunday, May 1, 2005 Posted: 10:53 AM EDT (1453 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- It appears North Korea has conducted a test of a short-range missile, White House chief of staff Andrew Card told CNN Sunday.

"I got the report this morning, so I don't know an awful lot about it. It appears that there was a test of a short-range missile by the North Koreans and it landed in the Sea of Japan," Card said in a pre-taped interview with "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."

"We're not surprised by this. The North Koreans have tested their missiles before. They've had some failures.

"We have to work together with our allies around the world -- especially the Japanese, the South Koreans, the Russians and the Chinese -- to demonstrate that North Korea's actions are inappropriate. We don't want them to have any nuclear weapons, we don't want the Korean peninsula to have any nuclear weapons on it."

Six-nation talks on persuading North Korea to curb its nuclear ambitions -- involving the two Koreas, United States, China, Japan and Russia -- have been stalled since last June after three inconclusive rounds.

North Korea has already said it will stay away from the nuclear talks until Washington apologizes for comments by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in which she described the communist state one of the world's "outposts of tyranny."

Resuming the talks gained urgency in February when North Korea said it had developed nuclear weapons and would boycott the talks indefinitely. The North has since threatened to increase its nuclear arsenal and has demanded that the United States drops what it calls a hostile policy.

North Korea on Saturday called U.S. President George W. Bush a "hooligan" and said it expected no solution of the international standoff over its nuclear program during the Bush administration. (Full story)

The comments by North Korea's Foreign Ministry spokesman followed a White House news conference on Thursday at which Bush described North Korean leader Kim Jong Il as a "tyrant" and a "dangerous person."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/01/northkorea.missile/index.html

This is going to lead to some not very fun stuff...

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Oh dear. All I can say is, not good news.

I reckon North Korea has just jumped to the top of Bush's list.

wheelchairman
05-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Had North Korea and margin of profit, it would've, however it doesn't.

Either way, Nuclear weapons are a right of the DPRK's until American troops withdraw from the Korean Peninsula.

Italia311
05-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Whatta great topic.

Not Ozymandias
05-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Good for them. They haven't attacked anybody, why shouldn't they arm themselves as they please?

Skate Rat 19
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Heres an idea FUCKING NUKE THOSE SQUINTY EYED MUTHERFUCKERS AND END THIS STALEMATE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Dearie me. If only you worked in the UN.

0r4ng3
05-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Heres an idea FUCKING NUKE THOSE SQUINTY EYED MUTHERFUCKERS AND END THIS STALEMATE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
good idea, start with me!

panzor41
05-03-2005, 04:25 AM
o god .......

wheelchairman
05-03-2005, 04:56 AM
o god .......
Shouldn't you be more worried about terrorists? The communist fear ended 30 years ago after Reagan tore down the Berlin Wall with his bare hands.

Skate Rat 19
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Shouldn't you be more worried about terrorists? The communist fear ended 30 years ago after Reagan tore down the Berlin Wall with his bare hands.

okay terroists scream ALLAAH!!! really loud and blow themselves up like the dumbasses they are and most of the time do little damage, now North Korea has nukes and they could easily take out major cities and millions of lives, jobs, wreck economies you name it. however we have like fifty thousand more na d we could end all life as we know it.

Not Ozymandias
05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
okay terroists scream ALLAAH!!! really loud and blow themselves up like the dumbasses they are and most of the time do little damage, now North Korea has nukes and they could easily take out major cities and millions of lives, jobs, wreck economies you name it. however we have like fifty thousand more na d we could end all life as we know it.
Sometimes terrorists invade Iraq too...

NIX-on-the-MAN
05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
We have to work together with our allies around the world -- especially the Japanese, the South Koreans, the Russians and the Chinese --
OK, since when where we allied to the Chinese?

Skate Rat 19
05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
its the Asians problem let them deal with it lets not get caught up in foriegn affairs like iraq

China Boy
05-11-2005, 02:28 PM
It is as much America's problem as anyone elses. The Koreans could send a nuke anywhere. And if I know my Koreans right, they will...

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 10:34 AM

I hope you drop dead right now, scumbag. Or, even better, I hope a group of "squinty eyed mutherfuckers" attack you on your way home from your "omg dangerous school because 0.05% of the students are black!!!", and beat your father down even harder when he tries to intervene.

And that's not even because you're racist, that's just because you're so fucking stupid.

wheelchairman
05-12-2005, 02:44 PM
It is as much America's problem as anyone elses. The Koreans could send a nuke anywhere. And if I know my Koreans right, they will...
Wrong. So far the only country to use nuclear weapons, is the country that has the most. North Korea has every right to have theirs as a deterrent from an imperialist power.

RXP
05-12-2005, 02:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sit down WCM.

wheelchairman
05-12-2005, 03:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sit down WCM.
May Kim Jong-il feed your children to the tower of Juche.

RXP
05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I've explained the security arguments to you in a previous thread. cf that thread. The world is not a safer place with a country like N. Korea with nuclear weapons. No matter how much you hate America: they aren't gonna launch against no one.

wheelchairman
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Kim Jong-Il, is really, only as crappy a leader as George Bush is, yet he's done far less imperialistic actions in the past 10 years, than Bush has in the past 4. And with the amount of American troops on the Korean peninsula, it's justified for the DPRK to have these nukes. It's not that I don't like America, it's that the last thing the DPRK needs is to have it's bargaining position weakened even more so.

Skate Rat 19
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I hope you drop dead right now, scumbag. Or, even better, I hope a group of "squinty eyed mutherfuckers" attack you on your way home from your "omg dangerous school because 0.05% of the students are black!!!", and beat your father down even harder when he tries to intervene.

And that's not even because you're racist, that's just because you're so fucking stupid.

know that when i say things like that I'm not serious, why must people be so sensitive when things are not even that important

lousyskater
05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
the way i see it, they're just getting their defenses strengthened, especially with a country like the US invading Iraq almost out of nowhere. i'm pretty sure N. Korea isn't dumb enough to just start firing nukes at us.

RXP
05-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Pretty sure? The fact of the matter is the security measures they have in place are nothing compared to the more established nuclear powers. You cannot deny that.

Lithuanian Offspring
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
My opinion is that North Korea will never, under any circumstances, use their so-called nuclear weapons. They are so poor that they could never defend themselves. The Americans and what have you would swat then like a fly. But this is what pisses me off the most about Bush. Iraq has WMD's!?!? Where the hell are they? If they had attacked Iran or North Korea they would have found their damn WMDs. Good grief. The Iraq war was a personal vendetta against Saddam, who tryed to kill Bush's daddy.

wheelchairman
05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
My opinion is that North Korea will never, under any circumstances, use their so-called nuclear weapons. They are so poor that they could never defend themselves. The Americans and what have you would swat then like a fly. But this is what pisses me off the most about Bush. Iraq has WMD's!?!? Where the hell are they? If they had attacked Iran or North Korea they would have found their damn WMDs. Good grief. The Iraq war was a personal vendetta against Saddam, who tryed to kill Bush's daddy.
And what proof is there, of nuclear weapons in Iran? Don't be ridiculous when you think you know something.

And America could not beat North Korea in a war. The American military was far superior than the Iraqi resistance, and yet, they are having problems with them in urban areas and desert. Let's face it, we've seen Americans try and fight a war in a South East Asian jungle, and they failed miserably. North Korea is far better prepared this time as well.

Lithuanian Offspring
05-16-2005, 01:13 PM
And what proof is there, of nuclear weapons in Iran? Don't be ridiculous when you think you know something.

And America could not beat North Korea in a war. The American military was far superior than the Iraqi resistance, and yet, they are having problems with them in urban areas and desert. Let's face it, we've seen Americans try and fight a war in a South East Asian jungle, and they failed miserably. North Korea is far better prepared this time as well.
I'm talking in nuclear terms. Plus, the South Koreans would fight in the war and pretty much all of NATO would, too. Given the current economic status of North Korea I think a war would bring so much termoil to the country that the people would even revolt. The Iraqi army was not prepared for the Americans they were swatted in a matter of weeks, its the civilian insurgents that are causing all of the problems for Americans and Iraqis alike.

wheelchairman
05-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm talking in nuclear terms. Plus, the South Koreans would fight in the war and pretty much all of NATO would, too. Given the current economic status of North Korea I think a war would bring so much termoil to the country that the people would even revolt. The Iraqi army was not prepared for the Americans they were swatted in a matter of weeks, its the civilian insurgents that are causing all of the problems for Americans and Iraqis alike.
I'm talking in Nuclear terms as well. Iran has no nukes. Whatsoever. It has one nuclear power station, being built with the cooperation of the Russians.

All of NATO would not invade North Korea. If they would, why didn't they help with Iraq? this is your own teenage pipe-dream.

Lithuanian Offspring
05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm talking in Nuclear terms as well. Iran has no nukes. Whatsoever. It has one nuclear power station, being built with the cooperation of the Russians.

All of NATO would not invade North Korea. If they would, why didn't they help with Iraq? this is your own teenage pipe-dream.
Ok, the Iranians have already tested their nuclear missles. Why do all of your posts have to end in some little petty remark. You proove nothing by saying that the Iranians have no nuclear warheads. That is your pipe-dream. Where is your evidence? I actually saw a report on Fox News about the Iranians testing their bombs. Furthermore, I read plenty of articles about nuclear warheads and their appearances in Iran. I don't know if they are actually there or not but the evidence points in that direction. All you have is "NO!" How do you know they don't have nuclear weapons? Well, obviously its because they are not an ally of the US. Thats all you have is your little dumbass insults and stupid no's.

Dexter Powerhead
05-16-2005, 01:35 PM
just conspiracy of one..................

wheelchairman
05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok, the Iranians have already tested their nuclear missles. Why do all of your posts have to end in some little petty remark. You proove nothing by saying that the Iranians have no nuclear warheads. That is your pipe-dream. Where is your evidence? I actually saw a report on Fox News about the Iranians testing their bombs. Furthermore, I read plenty of articles about nuclear warheads and their appearances in Iran. I don't know if they are actually there or not but the evidence points in that direction. All you have is "NO!" How do you know they don't have nuclear weapons? Well, obviously its because they are not an ally of the US. Thats all you have is your little dumbass insults and stupid no's.
Fox News is an organization that has been known to lie. They also claimed that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction, several times. They were wrong.

Iran does not have nuclear missiles. Do you know why? Because if they did, they would've tested them, and if they tested them, there would be definitive evidence of their existance (like there is in North Korea, because testing a nuclear weapon, leaves a very noticeable effect.)

Iran does not have nuclear weapons. But then again, you were dumb enough to believe Fox News. I mean jesus christ, how could you possibly take that as real news? Have you ever watched it for more than 5 min.? That place is so full of propaganda it puts the old PRAVDA to shame.

RXP
05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
seen Americans try and fight a war in a South East Asian jungle, and they failed miserably. North Korea is far better prepared this time as well.

omfg WCM. Surely you know they never attempted to win in Vietman? If the military were permitted to do what they wanted - i.e. win the fuckin war they'd have won. If the United States wants to beat Korea they WILL beat them. No doubt about it. It's military fact.

Don't be fooled by popular opinion and do some reading into Vietnam.

Rye
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
You've got to give props to N. Korea, though. I bet half of the reason they tested their weapons was to get noticed and/or feared, and it seems to be working (atleast the first one).

RXP
05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
I've got to give props to a tyrinical regime? fuck off.

And whoever replies don't give me bull shit "but the US omg they do 2!!" arguments.

RXP
05-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Do some reading yourself. The US wanted to kill the commi gooks more than anyone. Hundreds of thousands aren't sent if you dont want to win a war.

Are you kidding me? I'm not even gonna argue this because it's widely accepeted hte US never went into vietnam to win a war. Bombing and fighting was a bargaining chip. They never attemptd to win the war. If you have don esome research into it I can't believe you have come to that conclusion. I really cannot. Rolling Thunder was turned on and off like a water faucet. Targets were declared by Washington rather tahn miltary planners. And EVERYTHING was micromanaged by Washington.

Ho Chi Min himself said rolling thunder put them on breaking point. But all of a sudden it stopped (Washington ordering it to cause they wanted to use it as a tool to bomb the 'gooks' back to the bargaining table)

They never attemptd to win that war. you're extremely stupid if you think so. or have only read popular books on the topic where they talk up the guerllia tactics of the VC and NVA.

Of course public opinon would be against full scale warfare in N. Korea but if those fuckers try something public opinon will change. There is no doubt the US would win if they wanted to.

ermdevi@tion
05-17-2005, 03:43 AM
N. Korea has the world's 3rd largest army. If the US fought them, too many people would complain about people dying

Not to mention they're billions in debt from the Iraq war, and fresh out of allies outside of Britian.

N. Korea has the world's largest army, by numbers (including reservists). I believe they also have the largest artillery division in the world.

And the Americans wouldn't get Britain's support over this one, I tell you. We couldn't afford a war against such an opposition, and the threat of nuclear weapons (for real this time :D) would put Blair off.

RXP
05-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Agreed, coudln't afford to fight them but to say that the US would lose is myopic.

Further I think you'll find Russia and or India have the largest armies.

ermdevi@tion
05-17-2005, 04:14 AM
Not including reservists (at least from the figures I've seen). For full time soldiers, China ranks first, India second and then DPRK third.

The issue with the US is whether they willing to use nukes or chemical weapons. They were widely criticized after the whole napalm thing in Vietnam. Man for man, I don't think they could win - they are just too highly outnumbered - 12 to 1 by manpower.

S.Korea and Japan should perhaps be most worried - retaliatory attacks would be likely to fall on them too.

RXP
05-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Fact of the matter is tho US would win air superiroty real easy and could bomb their way to victory. No doubt about it.

wheelchairman
05-17-2005, 05:57 AM
oh I'm sure they could 'win' like they've 'won' in Iraq.

(and he's right, Vietnam wasn't a war they were trying to win. Nor was it even ever declared a war.)

However, Iraq is hardly won. The US has had to start another large scale-offensive after another,*inside* the country it is administrating. The problem in Iraq, like what would be the problem in NK, is that the people would very much be against American Occupation. I mean, you are aware that the Interior Minister of Iraq, and his 20 bodygaurds were kidnapped right? Do you know what it would take to kidnap 20 bodygaurds?

There is a large, and organized resistance movement in Iraq. That is technically inferior to the Americans, however they are causing the Americans problems. It'll be the same in any country they invade.

However, they aren't going to invade North Korea, despite the large number of troops on the Korean peninsula (which I believe, there was some talk of moving them.) Furthermore, arguments that South Korea's government would help the US in an invasion of the North, obviously don't understand anything of South Korean politics.

RXP
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Sure Iraq isn't won. The insurgents are minorties last I checked tho. The whole population isn't against the US merely a select few.

wheelchairman
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
if it was just 1 out of every 10 Iraqi that was against us, we would be faring much better. You know very well that it's more. There are the active insurgents, and then there are the insurgent sympathizers (which, is simply a lot more, and what they do is simply not help the US.)